It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans are naturally plant-eaters

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

"American Dietetic Association"

Oh the irony.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool

Oh the irony.

Less credible than opinions? Thats all I have seen here.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Oh the irony.

Exactly. It's sad that the majority of people these days believe "healthy" means vegetables, salad, soy, etc..

Even all of this high fiber promotion is insane. Consuming so much fiber irritates your digestive tract and is nutritionally useless. Especially for those with food sensitivities, fiber is horrible. If you were to eat real food, you would only need to go to the bathroom a few times a week maximum, and that is an example of healthy elimination. The more you eliminate, the less real food you are consuming.
edit on 22-1-2011 by SinkingSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SinkingSun

Assuming a vegetarian diet is caked full of fiber is merely showing how much you know on the topic at hand...

I can count the amount of salads I have ate in my lifetime on my fingers.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar

Oh the irony.

Less credible than opinions? Thats all I have seen here.

For a member of a website that centers around conspiracy theories and government lies, I am surprised that you chose to believe what the mainstream health "experts" say.

I and others posted plenty of solid evidence in favor of an omnivorous diet. You just chose to ignore it.

Here's a tip: do a little research on the health risks of soy.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Yes we can eat raw meat as has been demonstrated a number of times on this thread.

Now do you think chickens were riddled with salmonella before man learned to cook them? Or even before he decided to battery farm them. You veggies talk about 'what's natural' well yes most of these foods were safe when they were still natural. There's very little food left on this planet that's totally natural and unfettered by mans meddling hands. And as for meat causing all these cancers and diseases etc, the same thing goes. Our food chain has been manipulated for at least 100 years by the NWO nothing you eat is free of chemicals anymore. If a veggy does not eat 100% loose fruit and veg then they are exposing themselves to all sorts of harm leaching from the plastic packaging etc.

This is very tiresome. Several people on this thread have tried to help others deny ignorance and yet there remains so much of it.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22587f50d233.jpg[/atsimg]

A fair look at the evidence shows that humans are optimized for eating plant foods, according to the best evidence: our bodies. We're most similar to other herbivores, and drastically different from carnivores and true omnivores.1,2,3 The science shows that the more meat we eat, the sicker we get -- heart disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, and every other major degenerative disease. If eating meat were so natural, it wouldn't destroy our health.

* Our so-called "canine teeth" are "canine" in name only. Other plant-eaters (like gorillas, horses, and hippos) have "canines", and chimps, who are almost exclusively vegan, have massive canines compared to ours.

* Our early ancestors from at least four million years ago were almost exclusively vegetarian.

* Our omnivorism means we're capable of eating meat (useful from a survival standpoint if that's all that's available), but our bodies aren't geared for it to be a normal, significant part of our diets.

* The animals most similar to us, the other primates, eat an almost exclusively vegan diet (and their main non-plant food often isn't meat, it's termites). Our teeth, saliva, stomach acid, and intestines are most similar to other plant-eaters, and dissimilar to carnivores and true omnivores.

* Among animals, plant-eaters have the longest lifespans, and humans are certainly in that category (and yes, this was true even before modern medicine).

* We sleep about the same amount of time as other herbivores, and less than carnivores and true omnivores.

* The most common cause of choking deaths is eating meat. (source) Real carnivores and omnivores don't have that problem.

Kenneth G. Williams - Vegan Bodybuilder

edit on 21-1-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

Where is your evidence ?? To each his own of course, if you choose to be a vegetarian, that is your choice.
We did not exclusively eat plant 4 million years ago.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

The amount of ignorance in this thread is unbelievable !

I've been a strict vegetarian for 7.5 years and I am completely healthy. In fact, I'm the healthiest I have ever been.

If humans were suppose to eat meat, then why do we have to cook it? Omnivores have to cook their meat.

Its obvious humans were meant to be vegetarian, and the only way to find out is to become one. You will quickly learn that it was the right thing to do as your health will actually improve.

And no, I don't need vitamins or supplements. It's very easy to get all the nutrients I need as a vegetarian. The BS that is wrote about vegetarians strangely originates from tyson and other companies, and you guys fall for it hook line and sinker. Makes me wonder what other BS you unquestionably believe.

I've been there, done the research, and became a vegetarian for close to a decade. Sorry, but I have more credentials than anyone in this thread and I call BS on all you.

Have fun with flesh rotting in your colon for months after you eat it, have more fun trying to argue it's the right way to go.

edit on 22-1-2011 by The_Zomar because: Fixed: Omnivores have to cook their meat.

If you've done your research then you would know that meat does not necessarily need to be cooked. It's meat that is raised unnaturally and most likely filthy and contaminated that needs to be cooked. There are people who eat raw meat diets and because the raw meat does not require their digestive system and enzymes to do most of the work, the meat does not rot within the colon. Tell the Inuit that they are not meant to eat meat.

Beyond that the assumption that people were not meant to eat meat is ludicrous. Health depends all upon how the food is raised/ grown and prepared. Anyone confused on this subject should research Weston A Price and HIS research of indigenous people, their diets, and related health. Weston A. Price diet gets attacked by vegans, usually with preposterous claims proving they themselves haven't even researched the basis of this diet which incorporates only pasture raised meat, raw dairy, and eggs, includes organ meats, requires soaking and sprouting of seeds, beans and grains to reduce their anti-nutrient properties and increase digestibility, and absolutely incorporates organic fruits and vegetables. While I personally believe meat doesn't need to be eaten in the frequency that most standard American diets do, there is absolute proof that pasture raised meats contain an abundance of nutrients that conventionally raised meats don't, and it is of significant benefit to incorporate them into our diets. Fat on a grass-fed cow is a completely different product than that of a corn-fed cow.

I have no problem with people choosing to be vegan, but the fallacious claims that are made about meat consumption being less healthy are unfounded and biased. I absolutely agree that the way livestock is raised and treated in mass production is atrocious and very much contributes to an unhealthy product. But those meat eating individuals that vegetarians see as the face of unhealthy people are also eating other refined grains, refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, rancid and processed oils along with chemicals, additives, gmo's and pesticides. So a vegan diet compared to that is healthier any day. But with properly raised and prepared animal products in the proper moderation vegetarianism has a harder time claiming the title.

Well researched rebuttal to the popular China Study from a former vegan:

The China Study: Fact or Fallacy

One thing I can say negatively about vegetarian diets is the mass consumption of soy. I myself had many problems with soy so have no doubt that soy is not a healthy protein or dairy alternative.

Soy Dangers Summarized

edit on 22-1-2011 by kalamatas because: typo

edit on 22-1-2011 by kalamatas because: typos

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

reply to post by SinkingSun

Assuming a vegetarian diet is caked full of fiber is merely showing how much you know on the topic at hand...

I can count the amount of salads I have ate in my lifetime on my fingers.

Ha Ha! I know you didn't have any credibility to begin with but you've really sunk all hope with that post. How many fingers have you got? Just checking to make sure we are the same species.
So if you've had less than ten salads in your life I'd have to say you haven't been eating a balanced healthy diet. Maybe that's where your cognitive shortfall can be traced back to.

Laughs have been in short supply round here lately so thanks for that.

And don't twist what the other poster said, he/she neither implied, assumed nor stated that veggy diets were 'caked full of fiber'. It was merely stated that recent high fiber regimes have been a nightemare on the digestive tract and I for one agree.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

I disagree with you totally.

Eating meat was part of our survival..... If you do not understand this than I don't know what to tell ya.

I would love to be in a world where all we ate was plants, but I don't. Total denial is unhealthy if you are so concerned about being healthy.

Also you show zero evidence and make a thread called HUMANS ARE NATURALLY PLANT EATERS, we'll I kindly think you're naturally incorrect.

What maybe we can agree upon is the way our meat is handled and the veil of secrecy behind where our food lives and dies and gets shipped to our markets, I think it needs to change to the organic way, but the true statistics is that the demand for organic products is very low because it costs way more than the cheaper brands.

The disrespect we show towards the animals from the second they are born till the second we kill them is just terrible and needs to be stopped. Unfortunately too many people just love those dollar meal menus and the demand for those inhumane companies will continue to grow, even if you don't eat at the fastfood places you're still helping them

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well I was in Nursing and health/nutritionist trainee...you are wrong, we are meant to eat meat, Even RED MEAT, trim of fat. BTW I eat about 5% to maybe 10% on a good day. I eat mostly vegetarian, except for one meal a day. The ten % comes in if I eat meat for breakfast, or even if I eat breakfast, cause most of the time I don't. I would love to hunt my own meat, however it is more trouble and cost then to just buy it, and the gubbment realizes this, they don't want us to be healthy,present trends prove this. Anyway scientifically speaking the posters whom said we are meant to have meat in our diet are correct. Scientifically. That is the facts.
My nursing teacher said 3 ozs a meal. I eat it once a day and have about 5 ozs. at my meal, two other meals usually have no meat, or if so, one breakfast sausage, which is about 3 0zs. The 3 ozs a meal is daily recommended allowances, according to the pyramid. I am not including fish in this, as fish is the best protien you can have. Eggs are not even in my diet, I don't like them, but I do eat goods that include eggs like muffins, pancakes, cakes, etc, about once a month if that.
I went Vegan for three days, only because I thought I would try it jsut to se, I felt always hungry and felt very weak and tired. However I am a smoker, so that may have had something to do with it. I really do beleive you can have a healthy vegan/vegetarian diet, but it is hard work, expensive, and personally I would miss the meat I actually missed the taste. But I do not beleive that we were meant to be vegan/herbivores. My biology and nursing classes have reiterated that we are omnivores. Simple bio. But yes, red meat should be lean, trimmed of fat, and eaten less often then say fish and chicken. And pork is not the other white meat, you should also limit pork, and trim it of all fat as well.
My daughter has gone vegetarian and I worry about her health cause she don't even like a lot of important veggies, one being beets which is a very good source for b12 and folate which we usually get from meat, so, no meat is NOT the only thing you can find b12 in. Beets have MEGA amounts of B12 in them!!!! Just saying.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kalamatas

I have read many places where soy is indeed bad for you. I limit the amount of soy in my diet because of such.

I read the links you provided,
But... if you pit soy up against meat, soy looks like a dream product.

The negatives involved with soy usually include diminishing other nutrients which is easily combated by eating other foods to obtain those nutrients back.

The negatives in meat, however, involve life threatening diseases. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.
edit on 22-1-2011 by The_Zomar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

"My credibility has sank because I don't eat salads."

Every site has a jester.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Those life-threatening diseases like cancer are caused by lifestyle. Diet is only one aspect and when we compare healthy grass-fed meats to things like soy, I am sorry you feel soy might be somewhat better for you. That's a really twisted view. Soy is many times more cancer-causing. Do you know what it does to your hormones? Do you know how important hormones are? The majority of males today are lacking testosterone and have an excess of estrogen. This has absolutely horrible effects on the body and mind.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Usually the transition of going from being an omnivore to a vegan (and vice versa) can be harsh. It's best to ease into it and allow your body time to adjust.

I'm glad to hear your daughter is vegetarian, more and more people are deciding to eat vegi!
Eating eggs and B12 enriched soymilk are both great ways to obtain B12. Don't be too worried if she doesn't get very much B12, as we don't normally need to replenish our B12 reserves. We can hold our B12 reserves for 30 years or more before needing to be replenished.

I don't take vaccines, I don't smoke, I don't eat meat and I don't use pharmaceuticals and I feel great.
I can maintain a six pack by working out only 2 times a month. (sometimes less
) I know metabolism has a lot to do with it, but I think we form our metabolisms through what we eat. (my opinion)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

digestive system- much shorter than true herbavores. takes a lot of energy and intestine to break down plant cell walls. however, not as short as that of a true carnivore. this lends to the idea that some meat intake is necessary.

our eyes are in the front of our heads, meaning we are predators. all meat eaters have forward placed eyes in order to hunt. plant eaters have side place eyes, because they get hunted and need to see more area, rathar than depth perception.

humans are omnivores. however, we do eat too much meat, that i agree with. we shouldnt eat meat at every meal, or even everyday. about every other day is about right to stay in true balance.

p.s. a few of you have mentioned soy. soy is high in estrogen and progesterin, both female hormones. if a male eats a lot of soy, they become more feminine as the female hormones throw their natural testostorone out of whack. granted it takes a lot, but it is one of the dangers of soy for men. just putting that out there.
edit on 22-1-2011 by stormson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

reply to post by kalamatas

I have read many places where soy is indeed bad for you. I limit the amount of soy in my diet because of such.

I read the links you provided,
But... if you pit soy up against meat, soy looks like a dream product.

The negatives involved with soy usually include diminishing other nutrients which is easily combated by eating other foods to obtain those nutrients back.

The negatives in meat, however, involve life threatening diseases. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Running out of arguments?

Soy is a marketing ploy. It's cheaply mass produced and sold as health foods so nuts like you can buy into it.

I've posted many links debunking the cholesterol and saturated fat already, I'm not going there again.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Please correlate meat consumption with cancer diabetes and heart disease. Also correlate grass-fed meat with that too please.

There is more correlation with high fructose corn syrup, white flour, and other high glycemic foods with diabetes and heart disease than meat. Cancer with meat, sure if it's full of antibiotics, hormones, maybe a little melamine some other unknown substances then charred on the barbeque. Properly raised, properly prepared meat? Not so much.

The cholesterol= heart disease theory can also be proved wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinkingSun

Those life-threatening diseases like cancer are caused by lifestyle. Diet is only one aspect and when we compare healthy grass-fed meats to things like soy, I am sorry you feel soy might be somewhat better for you. That's a really twisted view. Soy is many times more cancer-causing. Do you know what it does to your hormones? Do you know how important hormones are? The majority of males today are lacking testosterone and have an excess of estrogen. This has absolutely horrible effects on the body and mind.

All those little boys becoming girls aren't a result of soy. It's a diet consisting of way too much processed meat.
Are more children vegetarian or are more children choking down happy meals?

The meat Americans consume have devastating effects on hormones, and dare I say it, soy is a healthier choice if you are concerned about hormones.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

because were omnivores not plant eaters

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join