It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$3.25 gas/gallon now, where is the outrage?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
i live in central california USA, and the gas here has been above 3 dollars a gallon for quite awhile. our different governments individually do not have control over the oil companies. they are the most massive and influential corporations on the planet. they set the price to whatever they want it to be, and seperate countries have nothing to say about it, except for the fuel taxes.
if you think some government is going to try and control the prices we pay for oil, just think what would happen if the oil companies got pissed off and decided to punish one country by cutting the import of gas and diesel into that country...it would be chaos and political suicide for the current regime in power, no matter if it was a left or right leaning form of governence.
our political leaders have no power over the global oil companies, they just don't want to admit it to their own people.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Back in the summer of 1979, gas prices first rose to over a dollar a gallon here in the US. An up and coming radio DJ (Howard Stern) came up with a idea to boycott the Shell Oil company in protest. It was know as "To Hell With Shell". I believe he picked Shell because it was foreign owned. Anyway, it gave him national attention. Didn't stop gas prices from rising though.

Wikipedia Link

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This thread scares me. None of you seem to have a clue for the rise in price.

It really is very simple the dollars value is dropping like a rock due to the Feds maniacally reckless creation of money. Oil is one of the best inflation hedges there is, because absolutely everyone needs it.

All that is happening is people are trying to protect themselves from the coming economic crash.

For all of you saying the government needs to do something they are, they are causing it on purpose in a deluded effort to try and stop the necessary and inevitable economic crash.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by havenvideo
Best way to express your outrage is to WALK, or cycle. We need everyone to though. If they wanna screw with us, let's screw with them by taking away their business.

Too bad it'll never happen.

Lazy no good...

*walks away in disappointment*

I think if we all just didn't buy gas for one day, it would make a huge impact. Gas is going up, groceries are going up, but there is no cost of living increase!!! Yeah, right. Obama hasn't said a word about the gas prices. In fact, I haven't heard anything on the media about it.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The rise of electric cars is the outrage. Giving us more options. No more petrolchem powered trasportation will be produced new by 2030 so this is nothing more then Big Oil playing their little kid games like usual and realizing with the rise of electrics that this issue will soon enough become nill and non existant.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
the North Slope has a pump station down on the pipeline. Last trade on oil was $91.54 bbl

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

US gallons are about 3.8 litres where as UK is about 4.55 so in US terms we're paying about $8 dollars a Gallon.

Still I think the issue here is not the rising oil prices but the rising tax prices at the same time. To have a 1p increase as part of the fuel duty escalator & a 2.5% VAT increase on the prices in the same week is not only crippling for the public but also industry. The government should be reducing taxes inline with oil price increases but we all know they can't resist the extra money they will be taking in to pay off the countries debt.

I would argue that in the UK there is a lot of outrage & it's starting to hit the news. There are both public & industy strikes being planned that will most likely cripple the country like it did in 2000.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by proximo

well you are real quick to call everybody NIMBLE arntcha !!!! There is a pump station broke down on the North Slope of the pipeline......what is the Government going to do after your said crash scenario....It wont have much power in the world will it...isnt it all about power? Get a grip and quit qripin its the Government thats doing it ?....You had better pray that Oil continues to trade on US dollars...cause when that changes we will be living the 3rd world dream. Ever spend any time in the streets of Cebu City PI.......ever take a taxi around 3 corners to get out of the tourist track of Mazatlan Mexico...guess what, they even pay taxes....hahaha you people thinK cause things get sticky there wont be any taxes ...hahahahaha WRONG THINK AGAIN you will be lucky to make a $1.50 a day.. feed your family and pay taxes with that....

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
reply to post by theRhenn

Just so you people know. This guy does not know what he is talking about.
Why do I know this?

Well considering these oil companies talk about record profits all the time leads me to believe this guy really does not know what he is talking about.. He said this and that cost bla de da. Yes we have Exxon and so on coming out almost every quarter stating that made 30 billion or 23 billion or some crazy billion profit.. If you goto a site where it shows prices of oil for the last 10 yrs and you compare the price per barrel to price per gallon of gas, you will notice things are way way way inflated. I think this however has to do with how crap the dollar is doing. Remember you dollar does not spend like it did 10 yrs ago.(I am talking american dollar not foreign money.) So we have to pay more while they rake in billions in profit while we have this guy tell us they are having a hard time..

I have a few words for him and the Oil Industry. Long walk short pier comes to mind.

I didnt say anything about the refineries. I think it's you who dont know what I'm refering to. Oil companies are exploration companies out in the field. Oil companies like Exxon, i made no mention of, other than general banter about them as a whole. Of course big oil makes all the money. I never worked for big oil. I worked for oil companies like oil rigs, on and offshore, 3rd party, on and offshore, clerk, offshore. I think i know what I'm talking about. I was the hand out there getting dirty so you squeemy lil bastages can sit home and bitch about the oilfield. Do you know what it's like digging in the dirtiest crap you can imagine? Wondering how your body is going to react later on in life to what you're breathing, touching, eating?

I know a whole lot more than you think I do. Stay in your shell and look at it through stained glass eyes, or you can go out and learn it from the dirt of it.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADUB77
You are paying 86 cents a litre

In Canada, we are paying about 1.10 a litre, or 4.17 a gallon

The sadder part is it is Canada's oil

it pays to be in shape & ride a bike (commuting 30+ miles each day no prob)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Try living in Europe! in Ireland we pay by the litre, around €1.40 cent per litre, so for your same gallon that's around €5,60 per gallon,(thats 5.60 EUR = 7.49672 USD) while you's complane you might pay 4.00 USD = 2.98797 EUR to 5.00 USD = 3.73497 EUR per gallon.

Thats a LOT cheaper then what we have to pay!! If it bothers you that much would you not down size your engine size and stop driving gas guzzlers? you'd be then doing your part to help reduce emission's and would also be saving money in your pockets!
edit on 15/1/11 by dazirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

They do it because they can,the TPTB know human nature very well and they know how to direct us in any direction they want.We got used to 2 dollar gas and then we got used to 3 dollar gas and we will complaine and do nothing and get used to 4 and 5 dollar gas.

They will just keep filling there pocket's tell we reach the end,......................I belive the end is near,I just wonder if the TPTB know.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

8,019 sq mi and 7,602,400 people = 948 people/sq mi
3,794,101 sq mi and 310 million people = 8 people/sq mi
We (US) have to cover 118 sq miles to reach the same amount of people you can reach in one. (assuming you're in Israel.)
Pretty long bike rides here in the US.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
You keep attacking Obama, yet the prices are better than they were during the Bush administration. Not baiting, just pointing out the bias.
edit on 15-1-2011 by baked because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
when i first started driving gas was .89/gallon!....oh, those were the days...

I think it will take 6.00/gallon before we see a major change in the publics views on oil and gas. I have talked to a lot of people that say they will drive no matter what...even if it's 9 bucks/gallon..they don't care they will have to drive to work.

We are down to driving only one car and really only to work and back. I don't work but my husband does..he drives around 1.5 miles a day to work and back. We only go out to grocery shop about once or twice a month...so we really aren't driving that much..We spend about 40 bucks a month on gas...maybe a little less.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
In Croatia we pay $6,35/gallon and it's raising..

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

The real outrage and the proverbial turd hitting the fan will begin when other countries begin to stop using the U.S. dollar as the world's reserve currency. Right now, Saudi Arabian oil is bought with U.S. dollars. You just wait and see what happens when oil producing countries go to accepting a basket of foreign currencies or the IMF's idea of using a world currency instead. You will really miss the days of $3.00/gallon.
The ways things are going we are going to see this in the near future. Then get ready for hyperinflation. I don't think I can take enough Xanax to alleviate my anxieties about what is looming ahead.

Plan your work, and work your plan.....

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Has anyone mentioned the movie "Collapse" with Michael Ruppert yet? Give it a watch if you haven't already. If you think $3.25 is outrageous then you may want to save some of that frustration for later. It looks as though it's could get a lot worse.

Collapse

Got Netflix? They have it under their documentaries also.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I ride a bicycle,I downsized long ago Like too few have.

The inconsideration and hostility of drivers is a problem for me,but I can deal with it.

I will become annoyed when gatorade skyrockets in price.

Meanwhile,I chuckle as I pass gas stations,about how little it effects me.

I feel sorry for those who have become so dependent on their machines,and hope they may someday realize that it is their actions that will make things better.

But I'm not holding my breath until then.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
They charge what the market will bear,that market being consumers.

Stop consuming,and they will be forced to lower the price in order to sell their stuff.

Realize the difference between freedom and independence.

The carpetbaggers depend on us to fall into their traps,and buy their garbage.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join