It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$3.25 gas/gallon now, where is the outrage?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Just went and filled the tank. Used the discount I get from my grocery shopping to offset the cost. The largest grocer in my area gives discounts from purchases at the market to use at the gas stations they run. I saved quite a bit from that but anyway.

Where is the outrage from the media and the politicians.

What is OBAMA going to do about it? Is he going to allow any drilling anytime soon?

Are we really going to be paying $4-5/gallon by the end of year as some are predicting?

Is there a difference now than just 3 years ago? Has there been a huge change in the MSM in the past 3 years that I do not know about?

Huh!?

Someone asked as a request whether the rise of gas prices is tied to a Bush being into office. The simple answer is yes, but not for the reasons that you would think.

Boy, according to this guy, Bush must still be in office!

Read that article, talk about incorrect conclusions. If deregulation had anything to do with it, we would be paying a nickle a gallon now.

Anyway, just something to consider about your media and your politicians. Cognitive dissonance.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Thank you for this tread S&F. What kills me is how the price can jump 10 - 20 cents overnight. But does it ever drop by 10 - 20 cents overnight - NO. It's theft. There's something really wrong with this.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Best way to express your outrage is to WALK, or cycle. We need everyone to though. If they wanna screw with us, let's screw with them by taking away their business.

Too bad it'll never happen.

Lazy no good...

*walks away in disappointment*

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by StlSteve

Well, funny how supposedly we have a free market. If you go from one end of my state to the other, you will find that the price does not vary. This used to be called collusion, but now I guess it is common practice in many states here in the US.

Now out in California, the prices did vary a lot. You could search for bargains at different locations in the same city. Not so in many states. Mine is one of them.

Yeah, our prices have jumped $.25 in the past 3 weeks.

Just wondering where the outcry is from the MSM and the politicians?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
What's crazy is that demand is way below normal right now in USA.
Explain that one.

Oh wait, I have the answer.

OPEC.

Good thread Saltheart.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You are paying 86 cents a litre

In Canada, we are paying about 1.10 a litre, or 4.17 a gallon

The sadder part is it is Canada's oil

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

This was the first time I filled my tank in about 3 months. I do not go out much during the winter. Just family get togethers and errands.

Now and then I have projects to go to, but not many during the winter. If the prices continue to rise, you will see the true GDP show this year.

I still say that we are in a depression. A depression is defined as 4 continuous quarters of declining GDP. If the government is supplementing the GDP by quantitative easing and stimulus spending, does that actually translate into it not being a depression? I would think it verifies that we are in a depression.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by StlSteve
What kills me is how the price can jump 10 - 20 cents overnight. But does it ever drop by 10 - 20 cents overnight - NO. It's theft. There's something really wrong with this.

Someone once said that gas prices go up like a rocket, and down like a feather.

link   

From what I have heard from some of the oil field workers in Texas, this article could be right on target; it is predicting about $4 per gallon by May of this year., similiar to what happened in 2008:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

link   
Outrage?

That's pretty ignorant considering it is 8 bucks a gallon in Korea and 6 bucks a gallon in the UK.

Too far for you? Canadiens pay 5 bucks a gallon. Some predict it will be 8 bucks a gallon by 2013. As a matter of fact, most likely your grandiose won't know what gasoline is, they'll be talking of miles per kilowatt.

link   
Well I can tell you I'm outraged but there's not too much we can do about like always. It's going to be the straw the breaks the camels back just like I believe it was in 2008 when it was over $4 a gallon and everything went belly up, I believe it will happen again but with far worse repercussions this time around.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Try paying over twice that amount as we do in Europe then you will really have something to complain about.

edit on 14-1-2011 by Namaste1001 because: (no reason given)

link   
In australia the price per litlre has been fluctuating between $1.15-$1.40 per litrle which = 0.26 gallons so in australia we are paying roughly AU$4.25 - AU$5.18 per gallon which is rediculous, when i first got my license the price of petrol was a steady AU$3.3 per gallon only 5 years ago... Only about 20 years ago the price of petrol was charge per gallon in Aus and it was around $0.30 per gallon....
The price of petrol was about $1.20 per litre about 1-2 weeks ago before these devastating floods in qld, now the petrol mobs are taking advantage of the fearmongering and charging about $1.40-$1.50 per litlre.... although brisbane did run out of fuel for awhile yesterday....

link   

And I think they can get rid of the .9 crap. if it's 3 bucks, don't advertise 2.99.9. It had it pupose back in the days when gas was 50 cents a gallon, and stations would have 'gas wars' for lowest price, but these days?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

EXACTLY.

That is another component. The US being the largest user of oil, has been on a downward trend of demand. Yet the price goes up. You have inflationary pressures, but that does not describe it all. Also with OPEC lowering their output to drive up prices, this still does not describe all of it.

In my opinion the price of oil and supply has been manipulated for decades. We could be self sufficient within one decade. There would be no need for us to even trade with anyone.

I believe the whole dependence on foreign oil and energy was created to make us dependent on foreign countries, not allowing ourselves to step back from the world stage. Not allowing us to be sovereign so to speak. This is one of my theories from way back.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
A lot of people aren't outraged because the price is still lower than itwas at a few points last year. In my opinion the government hikes it up sky high then lowers it a little. Less people complain because well... it's cheaper than it was. That's how they get you.

The higher ups can't get outraged because they reap the benefits.

link   
One of the President's campaign promises was that "energy prices would necessarily skyrocket".

Promise kept!

link   
Outrage in what regard? Is outrage rational? Does it accomplish anything? Demand will go down...prices will go down.

Anyway, I found this cool link comparing gas prices by state with general trend charts too, all the way back to 1983 in case anyone's interested. www.eia.gov...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just filled up today and was cursing the whole time from when I grabbed the nozzle until I drove off. Here I paid $1.45 a litre (not sure how that converts into gallons) and I only bought $20 which slightly moved my petrol gauge. I may have to consider buying a bike if this keeps up! Last week it was only at a low of $1.29 a litre!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I think it is all part of a plan to get rid of people on fixed incomes. Gas prices and food prices ought to do it I think. Alpo here I come, yum

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join