It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$3.25 gas/gallon now, where is the outrage?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by aravoth

Well, I have TRIED about everything except maybe hitting them with a hammer.

Thanks for the observation on the comments. It is like they are insane.

What other explanation can there be?

I dont know how much you know about the oilfield, but this is what I've come to see from the inside over the last 10 years. When I say the "oilfield", I mean, working 1st, 2nd and 3rd party in that period of time to see how everything tends to push and pull.

Alot of folx dont realise, the amount of jobs and the productivity of the oilfield depends greatly on the amount of gas. It's true that when gas prices rise, it's good for the oilfield. Everything trickles down. More jobs, more production, more exploration. But! There is a problem.

Over the last... say 2 years, there had been alot of problems in the industry from the inside. The more hurricanes we have, the more money is spent shipping hands back and forth offshore. That gets expensive. Hands usually get put in hotels durring their hitches. When I say hands, I mean the whole crew. Sometimes only a skeleton crew is left behind. Either way, everyone gets paid, but no production takes place. It takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to run a rig every day, depending on the size of the rig. Land rigs cost less, but they usually dont stop for a storm. Come hell or high water, land rigs will drill! If an offshore rig is shut down, and alot of times this is normal, but usually not more than hours or a few days, it can get very costly, very fast. The lowest daily totals i've seen are 60+ thousand dollars.

After Katrina and Rita, land rigs and offshore rigs were shut down across the south US and the gulf for extreem periods of time. Many rigs were destroyed. One I was on just prior and after, completely lost the entire derrek, though personaly, something was rather shadey about that.... It cost that rig ... well, their insurace, millions! That was one rig. Many land rigs were shut down for weeks and months because of flooding.

Since then, and almost right away, the oilfield seemed to dwindle out, slow at first, then a heavy crash. Hands were loosing their jobs left and right. I managed to hold onto mine, but I couldnt run from the domino effect. People who lost jobs, lost their homes. You couldnt get a job on a rig or even 3rd party unless you knew people and even then it was hard to come by. No one was making money so no one wanted to hire. Eventually the hands that were left were becomming thinned out as well, because things just didnt pick up for a long time. Rigs were moving out of the state in massive numbers to try to compensate for the losses.

The problem, I've found... When we went through this gas price spike the first time.. Companies started charging more for services. Something similar happened with the mortages and house sales right about the same time. Everyone got greedy. The money we were making for our companies was insane. Not only did they have a lack of people to fill the possitions, but companies overworked the hell out of 1-3rd parties. We got small wadge increases, sometimes a lil more, but what we were charging the companies for our services, as my own personal day rate, that we only recieved a fraction of, was insane. So basicly, 3rd parties jacked up their prices for everything. Our companies didnt spend any more on us, though our bosses did splurge on us a good bit, but we were doing the same work, with the same and often worn out tools, for alot more money.... for the company. Not for us.

I imagine that cost spike hit the oil companies harder and caused the gas prices to raise farther still. But when everything bottomed out, the hands got laid off quickly so the marginal loss didnt hit them so hard. Everyone got cut back to a skeleton crew. Jobs were lost, homes were lost in abundance. For those that say that it's their own fault... walk a mile in their shoes. You cant imagine how "screwed" mortage companies could make a person by raising interest rates so high that all they could afford were their bills, and barely that. I know. I was making 60K a year and I could hardly scrape by. Not because of poor credit. Because interest rates were selectivly high and you didnt have a choice. Houses were bought up everywhere. You couldnt rent because those were packed all the way to houston. If you lived in a home with no lease, your lease was broken so people from new orleans who could pay twice that could live there. You HAD to buy a house because you could live no where else. If you did have a lease, as soon as it was up, you couldnt afford the notes.

Well enough for now.. This whole topic makes my blood boil!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
I remember buying gas for $1/gallon

Of course back in the middle ages, you got paid like $3/hr

When I started driving (1976) gas and cigs were about the same, 50 cents. My job (shoveling dog crap at a kennel) paid $1.60/hour.
edit on 15-1-2011 by StlSteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here in the UK I think it works out that we pay the equivalent of around $9 a gallon!

so cry me a river!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Sorry if there is collusion is it not amongst the petrol companies? Obama has not re regulated oil has he? I no longer live in the USA so am just asking. Deregulation in banking got us in a fine mess. It seem sto have done so in gas.

edit on 15-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Aw thank god! I am not alone.
Gas is 1.15 a litre right now and the media unlike usual isnt saying a damn word!!!
That is in Toronto.
I remember a few years ago it was up to 1.35, I bet it will pass that before these media yaps start making a big deal.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
As above, in the UK, I am currently paying £1.32 a litre of petrol.

4.5 litres is 'about' 1 gallon, so that's £5.94.

£5.94 is $9.42

$9.42 a gallon!!

Less than 3 years ago we were paying the equivalent of $6 a gallon, which was bareable and to an extent resonable, but that was still 2-3x more than you guys were paying lol

Really sucks.... But as the OP said, where is the uprising? Why are people just sitting back and doing nothing about it?

I cycle and walk as much as I can these days.... And I must say that my quality of life has vastly improved from a physical and financial point of view and possibly emotional as well, as I haven't been so stressed about my finances

(Naturally I am not saying that the price hike is a good thing though!
)
edit on 15/1/2011 by Kliskey because: Math fail

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Gas is so ridiculously cheap in US. Here in Finland its around 1,51 €/L that converts to 7,63 $/gallon.

So don't call your gas expensive, US has cheapest gas in the world. Most of cost comes from taxes. Gas price is now higher than ever. They even started to put more ethanol in 95E, price dropped about 2 cents, but now consumption is higher, and old cars can't use it, so they have to use 98E which is about 4 cents more expensive.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It's only going to get worse. Until congress can stop their bickering and get together and vote on a new energy policy for this country, the oil cartels will continue to rape us at the pumps.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Where is the outrage in Finland?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
No outrage here because we don't have that "culture" here. We don't have protests so much here.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The only good thing about my country is the almost free gas.
Seriously,it's less than 50 cents i think.
Subsidized gas makes the people happy and forget about the tyrant.
But on a more serious note.How about you learn from South Korea and use bikes more often?
Alternative transport and stuff ye know

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Dunno if anyone has said this already but we civilians are paying more at the pump because the military is guzzling oil like there's no tomorrow,
Yet another good reason to end the wars of occupation in Afghanistan and Iraq,

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
PLEASE, no one buy into this fathomed bull#...their just settin us up, to yet AGAIN knock us down.

FYI---google "the universal declaration of human rights" and read it...it'll be on the top

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Just so you people know. This guy does not know what he is talking about.
Why do I know this?

Well considering these oil companies talk about record profits all the time leads me to believe this guy really does not know what he is talking about.. He said this and that cost bla de da. Yes we have Exxon and so on coming out almost every quarter stating that made 30 billion or 23 billion or some crazy billion profit.. If you goto a site where it shows prices of oil for the last 10 yrs and you compare the price per barrel to price per gallon of gas, you will notice things are way way way inflated. I think this however has to do with how crap the dollar is doing. Remember you dollar does not spend like it did 10 yrs ago.(I am talking american dollar not foreign money.) So we have to pay more while they rake in billions in profit while we have this guy tell us they are having a hard time..

I have a few words for him and the Oil Industry. Long walk short pier comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
4-5 dollar a gallon gas prices are what pushed us over the edge the first time, alot of people blame housing but I feel that the outrages gas prices destroyed any buisnesses that were just breaking even and any homeowner who was living paycheck to paycheck. But we are going to try it again. great timing also, all the big oil producers know that the bp disaster is still fresh on our minds and the people of the US will probably not want to increase any oil exploration/production because of it.

link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

Why do the citizens in the UK allow this. Where is you're countries outrage? Pointing the finger at the U.S. and saying don't complain we're paying a lot more than you doesn't justify paying over $3.00 a gallon! Maybe it's because misery likes company. The people of this world are fools. We continue to let corporations shove excessive fees on us, yet we continue to buy their products. There is strength in numbers yet the population would rather shrug it off and continue to throw their hard earned money away.

link   
In Lithuania we have 6.16 $ per gallon. But I must ask everyone in here what is the minimal monthly salary in your country? We have 309.29 $/month. So... which country is better for living?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
We don't have "minimum wage" written in our law, so its hard to say. Some people only get 300-400 €/month, but wage shouldn't be less than 1025 €/month.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

The day I bought my first car, I filled it up at .97 9/10 per gallon.
They are using what some call "the overton window" to condition us to accept the outrageous as "normal".
Overton Window

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join