It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$3.25 gas/gallon now, where is the outrage?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Who wants to make a Bet on what the National Average will be bye June 1st? im betting $4.85 gal

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Well, I have TRIED about everything except maybe hitting them with a hammer.

Thanks for the observation on the comments. It is like they are insane.

What other explanation can there be?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by Janky Red

THE FREE MARKET!

Really. WOW.

Does the FREE market force known reserves to remain unused?
Does the FREE market not allow the exploration of new resources?
Does the FREE market not allow the creation of new oil refineries for the past 15 YEARS?
Does the FREE market allow the government to limit lawsuits on corporations?
Does the FREE market bail out their crony bankers, crony agencies, crony insurance companies, crony corporations?
Does the FREE market allow the government to sidestep bankruptcy law that has been precedent for centuries?
Does the FREE market allow government takeover of industry?
Does the FREE etc etc etc.

Quit attempting to define our market as FREE. It is a lie!

We have what is called a State Capitalism. Some use to call it communism, but hey, I am just a conspiracy factualist.

IT is not a free market, where did I say free market in this thread?

And is that an eight armed straw man???

Your party consistently blocks for corporations (big oil for example) by citing free marketeering. Yet they fail to point out the fact that they DEREGULATE just enough to benefit management at cost to consumers.
Why didn't the GOP want to investigate market making (ANTI FREE MARKET, MARKET MAKING) ?

They had an opportunity to strengthen free market principles by rooting out the unnatural market influence and what did they do???

what did they DO Mr. free Market???

$#%#$% ALL NOTHING!

They have YOU believe that remove one leg from a table helps make the table closer to the ground, it does

Do you realize that I say the same thing to you over and over and over and over and over again?

My argument never changes, because it is so finely honed on your hideous and irresponsible blind spot.

Do you think INTERNATIONAL cartels that act in tandem can even be influenced by the natural rule of free markets?

You know what you get when you do nothing Foam?

You know what criminals do when you do nothing?

edit on 14-1-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

Don't, just.... don't. Your Party is up to it's eyeballs in wall street firms, oil companies, and agri-business. And you know it. You honestly think democrats are for the "little guy"? Yeah you're offering those same no-bid contracts to defense contractors that the GOP did, only now, you just don't talk about them.

The Left had control of congress since 2006, what did they do with it besides give GW Bush everything he asked for, expand the war on terror, renew the patriot act, bail out banks, award no bid contracts to war profiteers, and distort the market even more that the GOP did?

Do you even realize that you all became neo-cons the day Obama got elected?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Good gravy folks things cost money. Gas is not expensive in the US. At $10/gallon gas would still be affordable. What do you say we save our outrage for the bailout scams and ridiculous defense spending of the last 10 years. I wish some smart person here would start a thread detailing how the bailouts and defense budget has affected the dollar bills that we americans cherish so much.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by choppedbrisket

Well thanks for the observation.

This thread had two purposes, to show the price of fuel and to show the disconnect between the MSM 3 years ago and now.

Did you read the OP?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dniMnepO
In australia the price per litlre has been fluctuating between $1.15-$1.40 per litrle which = 0.26 gallons so in australia we are paying roughly AU$4.25 - AU$5.18 per gallon which is rediculous, when i first got my license the price of petrol was a steady AU$3.3 per gallon only 5 years ago... Only about 20 years ago the price of petrol was charge per gallon in Aus and it was around $0.30 per gallon....
The price of petrol was about $1.20 per litre about 1-2 weeks ago before these devastating floods in qld, now the petrol mobs are taking advantage of the fearmongering and charging about $1.40-$1.50 per litlre.... although brisbane did run out of fuel for awhile yesterday....

are you mental? 20 years ago it was still per litre. we have had metric since 1966.
i got my license more than 20 years ago (just) and it was $0.66 a litre.

please dont post things as fact if you dont know what you are on about.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I remember buying gas for $1/gallon

Of course back in the middle ages, you got paid like $3/hr

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
What do you mean, outrage? In Israel it;s $10,00 a gallon. In my area it's $3.50. Most of the world pays a lot more for gasoline than in the US.

Europe and most other countries have thoroughly integrated public transportion. The USA has none, zilch, notta.
The USA has large streches a land between cities. That means that millions upon millions must commute more than a hour to work and back every day. Therefore those gas prices are a real killer for Americans.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
They conditioned us to it before by taking it to 4 dollars a gallon. If you remember we were upset that it went to 2 dollars first then it went so far up that when it went back to 2 we were fine with it.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Here in Holland i paid €1.58 a litre yesterday.The most irritating here is the fact that half of that price is tax! But we keep on driving.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Elucidating a bit - and letting my inner conspiracy theorist out to play...

I think some of us are old enough to remember the gas shortage in the seventies. Gas went to what, then, were astronomical prices... not only this, but we actually sat in lines, for hours, for the right to pay those exorbitant prices. I was just a kid in those days, but I do remember the hardship it caused.

I also remember that the "oil crisis" magically went away one day. I vividly recall gas stations literally selling gas for a penny a gallon, when the price, the previous day, had been around two bucks. For no rational reason that I could discern things simply went back to good.

But I also remember that my parents, along with most other people I knew, in my limited childhood world, quickly sold off their Buicks, Mercurys, and Fords, and picked up a Toyota, Honda, or a Datsun.

This short "crisis" seemed to have a measurable effect upon behavior.

Fast forward to 2005 and suddenly, in a day or two, prices went from a buck and a half a gallon (or so, regionally divergent) to sky high levels. One local station, here, that had gas (many didn't) was charging over $8.00 a gallon for a few hours. Any station that had gas at least doubled their price, if not more.

We all know the story... pipeline, blah blah, refinery, blah blah. Prices are logical considering... yadda yadda.

But then months passed and prices were still high. Suddenly the news did a funny... analysts were on my TV saying "Oh these prices are normal because this is winter gas and winter gas costs way more to bring to market...."

Holy George Orwell Batman! What????? Winter gas??? When the Hell did gas go seasonal? (BTW that same year the oil conglomerates posted record profits. Even as they poor-mouthed to us about how the storm had ruined them)

Since that time we all got used to two bucks a gallon (again, regionally variant) for a few years. And now prices are creeping up again. (My guess? 2012 gas is more expensive because we need special chemicals to keep the apocalypse and aliens out of our gas supply.
)

My thoughts... the post Katrina period was a litmus test. The oil folk wanted to see where our gas price breaking point was so that they could work their way up to it. BTW if I recall that "I can't take it anymore" limit was around five bucks a gallon.

So... theoretically, if all businesses in our unregulated market can be used as a gauge... get ready for five dollar a gallon gas - as that is the price that the market will bear. And pray we don't have any more storms... because now that we've broken the taboo of five dollar a gallon gas... well eight or nine bucks will be the next taboo that they begin working towards numbing and conditioning us for.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

What is OBAMA going to do about it? Is he going to allow any drilling anytime soon?

You fell for a lie. Domestic drilling will not lower the price of gas. It's a drop in the bucket compared to our consumption.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dutchalien

80% tax here in germay. the price for one litre is 1,50 Euro.

stop cryin people

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
This is one of the reasons we need the electric car. Although they are not currently economically competitive, the price can be reduced hugely by mass production, and further improvements are in the pipeline. And then there's natural gas cars... although fracking is not environmentally perfect, the US still has large amounts of it, and it's better than oil.

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
One of the President's campaign promises was that "energy prices would necessarily skyrocket".

Promise kept!

Exactly!
For those people that voted for Obama, How's it working for you now?
Had to give you a star

edit on 14-1-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

There are plenty of factors that effect energy prices, and contrary to common belief, not everything is the fault of Obama. That's why oil prices around the world are going up, and will continue to do so. But of course, this is right-wing ATS where anything and everything is the fault of Obama.

"

Holy George Orwell Batman! What????? Winter gas??? When the Hell did gas go seasonal? (BTW that same year the oil conglomerates posted record profits. Even as they poor-mouthed to us about how the storm had ruined them)

People need heat in winter, so you know, they don't freeze to death. End result is that demand goes up which can lead price escalation and in some situations shortages.

Europe and most other countries have thoroughly integrated public transportion. The USA has none, zilch, notta.

Build a proper integrated public transportation like the rest of the civilised world.
edit on 15/1/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/1/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

The difference between petroleum and natural gas isn't rocket science either.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

reply to post by Janky Red

I must have misinterpreted this part-

PRIVATE MARKET ITSELF RIGS PRICES BY INTERNAL MEANS. The market makes the market on its own, you seem to think it is like selling tamales in the park price war.

Nope, I do not think so.

Like I said, we are a STATE CAPITALISM style economy/market. That is where the government controls pretty much everything they can. You know, kinda like communism.

The president of Shell at the time clearly stated that his competitors prices were much higher than what they could bring it to market at, in some cases $70 a barrel... You understand the market is participated in by
many foreign nationals??? IS this amateur hour Foam? Thats my alter ego

Our market here, was MANIPULATED by some force in the market place, by using the oil companies as a proxy agents to gouge consumers. You do realize that
if you pump enough volume with your capital, you can effectively control a commodity?

i.e I tell my competitor to cut their beer deliveries in half per an agreement, then I charge more for my beer,
once the market gets use to my new higher pricing, I cut my supply and then my "competitor" brings up the floor.
REPEAT - theory laid to waste

IF you do in fact support Corporatism, why don't you just say it Foam? I don't care if it is JFK's ghost who is doing the making, I just think it should be investigated, brought into the light. We are talking about entities without boarders or boundaries, WTF is our country doing letting itself get raped??? This little fiasco siphoned
damn near a cool Trillion dollars from out of our economy ON TOP OF YOUR %#%# taxes

IT is all YOUR money BTW - that money could have been used for REAL JOBS HERE - not developing
some Saudis bank accountS.

You are stuck in repeat mode, we need you guys to put your foot down somewhere -

Your position is PASSIVE, therefore it is ENABLING

You tell me how you are not for the corporation if your are unwilling to interfere in anything they want to do what do you expect? How are you from free markets if you do not care to address monopoly like rule of cartels?

Are they going to disappear by themselves or WHAT?

Give me an answer

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Last time I remember it's gone up to $3.85 or 4.05, something like that, so this time around it need to beat the previous price.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
$ 8.50 / gallon and rising in Holland

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth

Don't, just.... don't. Your Party is up to it's eyeballs in wall street firms, oil companies, and agri-business. And you know it. You honestly think democrats are for the "little guy"? Yeah you're offering those same no-bid contracts to defense contractors that the GOP did, only now, you just don't talk about them.

The Left had control of congress since 2006, what did they do with it besides give GW Bush everything he asked for, expand the war on terror, renew the patriot act, bail out banks, award no bid contracts to war profiteers, and distort the market even more that the GOP did?

Do you even realize that you all became neo-cons the day Obama got elected?

Who's talking Democrats???

I am talking our core beliefs here - If I were KING - I would not let America get stiffed by rigged markets,
I would give them enough room to breath and I would expose all the individuals who did any making. That is MY
PERSONAL sentiment, I WOULD not tolerate cartels pillaging my economy and taking my peoples money
away to other economies. Only to have those who take also perpetuate our BS money making scheme to boot.
That would be the ultimate expression of myself, my beliefs and my ideas -

You know what? you tell me why the GOP blocked opening and investigation into OPEC?

John Hoffmeister, President of Shell Oil Company, a conservative stated on C-SPAN that it was his opinion that there were agents who were artificially inflating the market and that America was paying far more than they should have, based upon his operations output and comfortable profit margin, he was the ONLY guy up there who had the sack to say that BTW.

Back to parties...You know the DEMS can be real $#@%@# up, sure as day is bright,,, this does not mean that they can't get some things right also, the GOP is right to address the healthcare mandate,,, THE GOP IS RIGHT. I am not sure why EVERYTHING is negated in a categorical way?

You interjected yourself here - why don't you track down the testimony and understand how criminal such a stance was in this instance. Furthermore I don't care if I am being gouged with taxes or some cartel controlled necessity expense - I am not happy being screwed over by either or -

If we all know the market is NOT free - why on Earth wouldn't you address instances where it is being rigged and controlled for Christ's souls sake???

There is a point where this refusal becomes masochistic -

Please answer this rhetorical question?

If you want to lower the current crime rate, but are unwilling to do anything to effect the crime rate, how can you reduce the crime rate???

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Are we really going to be paying $4-5/gallon by the end of year as some are predicting?

Here's what you can do. Sell your gas guzzler SUV and get a Tata Nano (Shown below). Costs just $2500 and gives you a cool 20 km per litre.

It's no use waving the red flag because NO one's gonna do anything about the sky rocketing cost of fuel! All the PTB have their hands in the till!
You must be aware of the guys who got bushwhacked running their concept cars on Hydrogen extracted from water. Well the MIB won't allow that. You see the oil cartels stand to lose billions of dollars if vehicles start running on water!

QED!

edit on 15-1-2011 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join