It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France is our biggest ally, declares Obama: President's blow to Special Relationship with Britain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudtobeEnglish
Withdraw all British troops from conflicts instigated by the US, demand the immediate withdrawal from Britain of all US military personnel/equipment, increase visa regulations for US citizens and start deporting non-essential Americans living in our country. The yanks and the frogs are scum in equal measure.

Might be a bit over the top but, this guy does have a slight point. Why should the brits go to war with a country that doesnt value our help or friendship.

What obama has said is total disrespect to all the troops fighting wars with the americans and to the british people back home. (look at how a lot of brits reacted to 911? it was as if it was one of our own citys that was bombed)
yes it might not be the thoughts of the american people but he is supposed to represent the american people isnt he?

Maybe obama should be taught a lesson in diplomacy?

I wouldnt deport no one by the way. just pull out of the war to teach that obama a lesson. I realy hope these comments some how come back to bite him on the a$$
edit on 11-1-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
reply to post by Yissachar1

I am American and feel the same why you brits do about what Obama said. Just understand that isn't the American view point of the people just some guy who will most likely not be in office come election time

Thats the feeling I get from Americans on these boards.

He is either out of touch, a hater, a muppet, his brains missing

Or all of the above.

I do not think he represents the majority of Americans at all.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Withdraw all British troops from conflicts instigated by the US, demand the immediate withdrawal from Britain of all US military personnel/equipment, increase visa regulations for US citizens and start deporting non-essential Americans living in our country. The yanks and the frogs are scum in equal measure.

I am English, and you certainly don't speak for me. You just sound like another person who looks at a country as a collective. Just because one man says something that offends you, then in your mind, that means every American shall suffer your rage. Get a grip man!

Why do so many people fuel their hate on just the opinions of the people in government. They are not super human beings or mini Gods! Just human, like you and me.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudtobeEnglish

Yeah.. do all this because Obama supposedly said Sarkozy is his BFF instead of Cameron. That's thinking like an adult and not a middle school aged child.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

I am English, and you certainly don't speak for me. You just sound like another person who looks at a country as a collective. Just because one man says something that offends you, then in your mind, that means every American shall suffer your rage. Get a grip man!

Why do so many people fuel their hate on just the opinions of the people in government. They are not super human beings or mini Gods! Just human, like you and me.

You just sound like a little lapdog, willing to be beaten by it's owner everyday. If you don't like what I said, well, that's just too bad!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Yuck! ATS sure showed its ugly side in this thread. Can't we all just get along? Who cares what country we live in, we are all brothers and sisters of the human race!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty

Might be a bit over the top but, this guy does have a slight point. Why should the brits go to war with a country that doesnt value our help or friendship.

What obama has said is total disrespect to all the troops fighting wars with the americans and to the british people back home. (look at how a lot of brits reacted to 911? it was as if it was one of our own citys that was bombed)
yes it might not be the thoughts of the american people but he is supposed to represent the american people isnt he?

Maybe obama should be taught a lesson in diplomacy?

Interesting...so, its a popularity contest and if your not number 1, your simply not valued.

Now, I think Obama is dead wrong here...the US and UK are closer than the US is to Canada frankly, but thats beside the point...

Is it total disrespect to Australia if we say the UK is our closest ally? Is it disrespectful to any other NATO force to say one is closest? Obama should have simply said "one of our closest..."

I find it interesting though...words...meh..You are my best friend, which means everyone besides you is all but an enemy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

what about us who have dual nationality like me and beezzer would you deport us too?

No nation is intrinsicly bad only individuals and goverments are

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Isn't there a abovetopsecret.co.uk?

Why is that?

Why not create one...or are you comfortable posting on an American website about how you don't like American's.

Why not goto abovetopsecret.fr if all things are equal...

nevermind, carry on using our stuff while you complain...damn kids these days

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Well according to wikileaks he thinks david cameron is a lightweight. I can agree with that tbh. But sarkozy is... well.. french.

link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

I really doubt he said that. Don't you? He may have said he is closer to Sarkozy than Cameron, that doesn't mean they are the greater Ally. Even if he does think that, us Americans know that the Brits (despite ridiculous grandstanding from both sides in the boards and other places) are our closest allies and we have each others back. What other country can we more closely relate. Governments aside the relationship between the people of both countries is important.
edit on 11-1-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

link   
If Obama is basing his foreign policy on a Jefferson style anti-British imperialism, then someone should inform the President that France does not have a fantastic record in Hati (countless massacres under Napoleon) and her colonial history in Africa is not a shining inspiration for all to see. Algerians don't have sympathetic and nostalgic thoughts about the French - especially after bloody repression of rebellions.

France were just as bad as the British and the Spanish, too.

In fact, Obama's own father thought Britain brought "civilization to Kenya" but his grandfather held anti-British views - which Obama writes extremely empathetic about. Reading Obama's book is interesting, he held little resentment against his father's sympathetic beliefs on British rule in Africa.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Isn't there a abovetopsecret.co.uk?

Why is that?

Why not create one...or are you comfortable posting on an American website about how you don't like American's.

Why not goto abovetopsecret.fr if all things are equal...

nevermind, carry on using our stuff while you complain...damn kids these days

If either of those sites existed, I would use them. Sadly, they don't.

link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir

what about us who have dual nationality like me and beezzer would you deport us too?

No nation is intrinsicly bad only individuals and goverments are

I'm proud of Americans, just not so much with America. If you get my meaning. What continues to draw me back to the U.K. is tradition, stability. Proper form.
Anyone who asks us to leave, they are the ones who shouldn't be there in the first place.

link   
Of course Obama would.... why do people expect more from him?

I can name Australia, UK, Japan, Soko, Tawian, and many more who are better allies than France.

As some smart man said, maybe Krautwitz, "there are no true allies, only temporary interest." France is a more of an temporary interest akin to Italy's new administration. America only has true allies that will be with us forever, I believe Japan and Australia to be 2 of those.

How could I forget canada! They've always been with us.
edit on 11-1-2011 by 11PB11 because: forgot to mention...

link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I see your point but we value our relationship.

Mostly because of shared language and blood.

But also because a lot of spilt blood has been invested in that relationship watching each others back to those comments creating a sting.

link   

Im a lap dog because i look at every human being as an individual? I find it really sad that there are people like you out there. People who don't have the intelligence to understand that because someone from a country says something you don't agree with, does not mean that you have to use the same brush with the rest of the country.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Its all a bit of a non issue. People think of countries being allies and friends as if its like a personal relationship. Its not. Countries don't have friends they have interests.

Alliances form when other countries share those interests or can be manipulated into sharing them for a time.

As chief salesman for corporate america Obama is doing his job. He's quite obviously buttering Sarkozy up as he wants to grease the skids of a corporate deal or he wants a favour.

The US/UK share a lot of interests and will continue to do so but the the 'Special Relationship' is a fiction. That was obvious in the blair/bush years and the trend has simply continued.

The US has only one special relationship in a different category with the others and thats with Israel.

link   
Maybe someone messed up entering text into his teleprompter? On another note, what the heck was he thinking by making that remark? Great Britain was been the most reliable ally to the United States for years, and they have backed it up whenever it was needed.

Whereas, France has left less to be desired. They are never around when you need them. Not a well thought out statement by the President. No doubt, it will anger some in the UK, but sometimes the President's teleprompter malfunctions. Blasted technology! Hopefully, the people in the UK will take what he said with a grain of salt and get on with it. Just more nonsense by another political leader who seems to be more and more out of his element when it comes to international affairs.

link   
It seemed anxiety and tension arose when Niger was mentioned. Just an observation, Maybe that's why he exaggerated, I mean it seemed like he talked a lot, but he always does that.

?

Was Niger named by colonial expansionists and is that where the negative word is derived from?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join