It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France is our biggest ally, declares Obama: President's blow to Special Relationship with Britain

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This is the kind of thing you'd expect President Obama to say. This is what I say. In 1982, without seeking any support. I.e. a "coalition" scenario they traveled down to the Southern ocean with a large part of they're naval and land based strike capabilities to complete an opposed landing on a foreign shore in range of the opponents land based air strike radius. They improvised, adopted and won the battle. That takes "nards" (like there was ever a doubt!) They did so knowing how vulnerable they're supply chain was, and that they would be facing a very sophisticated anti-ship weapon in the form of the Exocet missile launched from Super Entendard strike aircraft. A weapons system specifically designed to neutralize the radar advantages of that era. I believe both of those were manufactured in France. And they did all this without the 4-1 ratio of troops that is the minimum you should try to execute an amphibious assault with. I believe Great Britian has always been there when the US needed them as an ally, and I don't think it has anything to do with being "special". (Like the time we bombed Libya back in the 86 (Operation El Dorado Canyon) and France wouldn't let the US use they're airspace. I think France has a historical link to the North African continent (as does Great Britian) and I find it heartening to see France playing such a large role in the current Libya operation, especially by committing they're limited flight deck assets. Flying off an aircraft carrier is super dangerous. Doing it with combat ordinance borders on insanity. So what President Obama knows about allies’ shows he has a lot to learn. I think Great Britian and France are US allies, and that's good enough for me. I lived in Scotland for 3 years, so I have experienced they're culture first hand, and married a woman from Scotland
I'm sure if I'd had a chance to live in France for the same amount of time, my perspective of France as a nation would no doubt be different than my personal expectations are today. But allies are allies and I think having Great Britian and France working with you is a lot better than contemplating a world where they are working AGAINST you. Anyway, that's what I think. And I know President Obama sometimes opens his mouth WITHOUT thinking. But when it comes to leadership, he's just like the media portrayed him during his first presidential campaign, not big on leadership. It's probably one of the toughest jobs in the world to take, but he asked for it. I wish him well, and hope he starts to "get it" relatively soon. That's my rant. I'm out

edit on 1-5-2011 by CosmosKid because: Spelling

edit on 1-5-2011 by CosmosKid because: Ugh! Spelling !

One more thing, in order for a president to become truly effective, no matter how you see them, something has to take place that deflates the ego! You have to admit, wanting to become president requires you have a huge opinion of ones self. Something "external" that is intense enough to make a personal re-evaluation take place for that person to become an effective leader on the world stage. Apparently, President Obama hasn't gotten there yet, but times look like he may be getting pretty close. His ego doesn't make him a bad guy, but it sure makes him a very ineffective leader, and that's what the president is supposed to be, selflessly serving his country, not himself or his “party”, nor should they be the "eternal candidate" Good luck with this Mr. President, it's never easy is it? And some people never "get it”, think Woodrow Wilson
edit on 1-5-2011 by CosmosKid because: added content

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
To put this another way it's like a teenage with divorced parents, categorically stating that they prefer one to the other, when the now least liked parent, has always done everything they can, to support, and encourage and given much personal sacrifice, for the child. Yet the child rejects this and prefers the other parent who ignores and looks down at the child, but just happened to put the deposit down for their new apartment some years ago!

No offense, but what has the British government done for the US since the birth of our nation? I'm sure something has led you to this impression.

As for my view of it, Britain allowed the US to be its own nation (ie stop warring with us), if we agreed to pay a massive amount of money (basically go in debt to them) for the land itself. It was a clever trick, but we did not honor the debt agreed to by the Congress of Confederation in the Treaty of Paris. This was the true reason for the War of 1812, though in America we are "officially" taught in public schools that Britain was blockading our trade routes and thus forced us into war (which may be true on the surface).

After that it was just one attempt after another to either establish a central bank or otherwise somehow regain control of the US. I've even seen a ridiculous piece of legislature passed in the 1800s that briefly mentioned somewhere in the lengthy writing that the US was now a "corporation" of Britain.

As for France "looking down" on us, I look down on our own government too! But this has nothing to do with the people, and I have nothing against other Americans in general, or the British people, or the French people, or even the Russians, if you Brits are looking for a new best friend!
(wink wink, nudge nudge)

Btw, is anyone here fluent in French? Preferably as their native language? I've been learning the language and I would love to meet someone that I can talk to and who can correct me, and especially teach me the ropes of "street" French since everything I'm learning is dry and "proper." I can use messengers or whatever.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
What else would a crypto marxist bent on ruining America do - but alienate all of its allies,notably the UK and Israel, even Saudi Arabia is now seeking the embrace of the Russians and Chinese.

24 Reasons British Snubbed the Obamas to the World & Made Them a Laughing Stock

gratewire.com...

Despite official denials, the non-invitation is obviously a slight to the Obamas personally - principally motivated, one imagines, by the airs that the bumptious Mrs Obama customarily gives herself. The Democrats and Obama would like to play the race card as they have done so many times in America, but it is difficult when other black heads of states are invited to the wedding and will be warmly received. It appears that Prince William personally told the wedding planners to strike the Obamas from the guest list with his grandmother's, Queen Elizabeth's approval. It is all a matter of class and both Obamas displayed none. The gifts to The British from Obama and Michelle were both tacky and in poor taste as was not bowing to the Queen but at the same event bowing deeply to the Saudi prince. In addition the Queen supported Prince William in his decision, due to the fact the word is out about the lavish booze parties at the White House, the expensive vacations and state visits that cost the American tax payers billions of dollars unnecessarily when the American people need the resources… We here can’t decide if it is just low class, no class, big a_s or all that has just been mentioned.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood
24 Reasons British Snubbed the Obamas to the World & Made Them a Laughing Stock

Granted that plenty of American politicians make themselves laughing stocks, but not for being excluded from the royal wedding.

Still having a "king" or "queen" at all is infinitely more embarrassing imo.

I'd sooner think all of this has more to do with the Rockefeller family having a falling out with the Rothschild family.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Regarding Presidents speech on Bin Laden. Good Job Mr. President. I think his speech was right on the money. Bin Laden knew we would never stop tracking him down. He knew that. The fact that the President acknowledged he was and is committed to the tasks handed down to him by President Bush with regard to the war on terrorists in my opinion sends a very strong message to the rest of the world that he understands the importance of maintaining the continuity of the office of the President of the United States. The fact that he stated that Pakistan was fed up with having Bin Laden on they're soil was the correct thing to do. This is going to heat up the war with Terrorists but the message is clear. Doesn't matter who's in the White House, if you attack us, you can expect the same in kind. We will come and get you. If you don't believe that, look at the people in the streets. Look familiar? Looks a lot like other parts of the world did on 9/11. And
Thanks to our troops that went and got Bin Laden. And whoa betide the jerk that
Thinks it would be “just” to pass the info on these citizens to that scumbag Ass-ange!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Any student of History, or Government would immediately see the truth of the the presidents statements.

Without the French, there would be no America. England is still a Monarchy. And our constitution was the basis of the 1791 french constitution.

French bashing = dogs barking at whatever their masters point at. At least you are well trained.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Butterbone

And your Constitution has it's root's in The Magna Carta, en.wikipedia.org... Common Law, en.wikipedia.org... and men like John Locke, en.wikipedia.org... and John Lilburne, en.wikipedia.org... .

Without us you would be nothing.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Without us you would be nothing.

Tell that to Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, or any of the other thousands of colonists who were doing well enough on their own

You Brits sent us over here, for one reason or another, and we thank you for that.

For all the rest, nahh, you can keep it.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Oh no...please...not the French....

I´ll take anyone...the Italians, the Spanish, the Swedes...heck, even the Germans.. Why did he have to go for the French?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The French are our oldest allies, and lets face it, the French are still close allies to both the U.S. and the British as well. Love em, hate em, they are rarely boring, except for some of their art house movies.

For over a hundred years now, the Brits have been our closest allies. Relations between the U.S. and Britain were chilly to hostile for about a hundred years after the Revolutionary war, but eventually they came around.

Economically speaking, we could all use some lessons from the Germans. The Germans had always been a very stable culture up until the madness of the Nazi era, and they have been an excellent example as a nation ever since.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Oh no...please...not the French....

I´ll take anyone...the Italians, the Spanish, the Swedes...heck, even the Germans.. Why did he have to go for the French?

Don't you like the new triple entente? (Britain France and the USA)

Can't get more entente than the 3 of us sharing our nuclear secrets and weapons establishments with each other... ah the lack of oversight just sends shivers down my spine

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Btw, is anyone here fluent in French? Preferably as their native language? I've been learning the language and I would love to meet someone that I can talk to and who can correct me, and especially teach me the ropes of "street" French since everything I'm learning is dry and "proper." I can use messengers or whatever.

I'm French and will be glad to help you!

Do you ever went to France? We used to say that the best way to learn a new language is to went over there for at least two or three weeks; this goes as weel for the Frenchies that quickly want to learn English...
edit on 2-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: spelling

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmosKid

Except for Iran or mexico - seems they can kill and kidnap US citizens with impunity,

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Yet I notice that you conveniently ignore the links I provided that clearly show that your much loved and often boasted about Constitution owes it's existence to Britain.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

If it owes its existence to Britain then why don't we have a King or Queen over here?

The charter was an important part of the extensive historical process that led to the rule of constitutional law in the English speaking world, although it was "far from unique, either in content or form".[3] In practice, Magna Carta in the medieval period did not in general limit the power of kings, but by the time of the English Civil War it had become an important symbol for those who wished to show that the King was bound by the law. It influenced the early settlers in New England[4] and inspired later constitutional documents, including the United States Constitution.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

It may have helped inspire ideas for the US Constitution, I'll give you that, but so did Thomas Paine, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, etc. And if you want to be frank about the whole situation, the Magna Carta was inspired by earlier documents itself. Many times and places of the Roman Empire also saw republican-style government, and that empire had some influence in Britain for a few years if I remember correctly.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Hey everyone! I thought I could contribute to this thread, it's something hovering my mind for a while now.
Probably Obama said that for various reasons. First of all, because of the collaboration between USA and France in Libya. Second, because Strauss Kahn, the president of the International Monetary Fund, is running for Prime Minister in France. It might seem irrelevant, but personally I believe that it may be the link between those two countries. So, the big question is: where does this lead us? Is there a hidden agenda? NWO related maybe? Or it is just the beginning of a new friendship?
edit on 4-5-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

Oh, and keep in mind that Obama was not invited to the royal wedding...
edit on 4-5-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by bsbray11

Yet I notice that you conveniently ignore the links I provided that clearly show that your much loved and often boasted about Constitution owes it's existence to Britain.

And the magna carta was rooted in the Charter of Liberties which only applied to the rights of land owning Barons and there right to kill and enslave and dethrone the king.

And to be accurate, the constitution was a furthering of corporate charters for territories within which only portions of Clause 29 were similar with the Magna Carta.

So in reality you are making the statement that America simply held up the part of the document that the rest of the English failed at.

Yup, sounds about right to me. I agree with you!!!

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join