It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katie Couric - America needs a Muslim version of The Cosby Show

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Bring it on! Who doesn't love to gather around the TV with the family on these cold winter nights and watch some hilarious beheadings and honor killings?

(And by the way-if I recall correctly-didn't alot of black people dislike "The Cosby Show" because it was too "white"?)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The only reason to object to a sitcom about Muslim Americans is that you think it is a good thing for Americans to be unreasonably paranoid and divided against each other. What harm could a (good) sitcom do?
edit on 31-12-2010 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
Bring it on! Who doesn't love to gather around the TV with the family on these cold winter nights and watch some hilarious beheadings and honor killings?

Please tell me...is that the sum total of your knowledge of Islam? You're being glib, right?
Mods strike me down for saying it, but you can't be that stoopid, right?

It might amuse you to know that you, personally, are proving Couric's point.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
It might amuse you to know that you, personally, are proving Couric's point.

Exactly. So does the OP. There are many people in the US who are ignorant about Islam and what it means in many people's lives. Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds hatred.

I think it's a good idea. Not to be educational, per se, but to expose people to the idea of regular people who happen to be Muslims. The US needs to learn more about Muslims than the fear-mongering that's spread far and wide, especially here on ATS.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Please tell me you understand "humor"? Relax.......

(Oh and calling people "stupid" isn't really a way to get your point across.......)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Of course I would hate Toronto, it's too cold up there.
Sorry, but my sarcasm button is stuck today, and when we have to have Hollywood educate us on how to be a good person, I just can't help myself. Happy New Year my friend and here's to another year of debate on good old ATS.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138

Please tell me you understand "humor"? Relax.......

(Oh and calling people "stupid" isn't really a way to get your point across.......)

Take a look at this thread and the number of like comments, ones that come from people that don't sound like they're trying to be funny...people that honest to God feel that way. I chose the mildest form of invective I could, because people like that are going to get us killed.

My apologies...and we do have 'humor'...we just spell it right up here! (humour)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by FlyersFan

How would you enact a stoning with a laugh track?

If it was your mother or sister you wouldn't be making light of this. The point was to find a televivison show to change some of THESE views. All be it probably not yours....

edit on 31-12-2010 by PsychNurse because: (no reason given)

I don't make light. I think it was Macbeth where the quote was, "I laugh so that I may not cry". Granted, my views are harshly skewed. I've lost two very good friend to the war. While I've made friends with those of the muslim faith, I personally have deep animosity for those that have tried to shoot me.

I guess I'm just going to have to be biased on this issue. Please forgive.
edit on 31-12-2010 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Sure .. if the intent was just a sitcom and people happen to be Muslim. But the INTENT Couric is talking about is that Hollywood needs to educate America. Supposedly Hollywood has better ideals, morals, whatever .... THAT is what is absurd. The thought of Hollywood 'educating' people and bringing them 'up' to Hollywoods morality level.

But I take the view that an easy going, middle class, American family that happen to be Muslim is the norm. 99.9% of such American families have high moral standards due to the fact the have a faith they respect, they are family oriented and they are aspirational.

Muslim Americans have been in the US since before the Civil War and have always been accepted. Since 9/11 certain rightwing elements associated with the military industrial complex, nutters like Pamela Geller and her mystery mosque, fringe Christian groups and Zionist Jews have been slandering, mocking and deforming the image of Muslims. Some even encourage the killing of American Muslim men, women and children.

So in the context of this manufactured hate culture, a good natured sitcom about a Muslim family would be good.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a comedy sitcom starring an illegal alien family would get phenomanal ratings! all jokes aside, any show featuring any family other than the norm would be interesting to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
And America has no need for a Muslim show, we already had one. It aired on 9/11, 2001 and it was live on all the channels, and America decided that that was enough.

When I first read this thread, I made a joke about it in my head, but I didn't know people actually felt that way! Here's how the joke goes:

"I learned all I need to know about Muslims on 9/11"!

Too much!
edit on 12/31/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You know, there will always be bigots and eventually your kind are always shoved to the side and ignored.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
But it is not a joke. Many Americans do truly feel this way, in large part thanks to indoctination by our own Presidents, Leaders, govwernment, education system, and mass media.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
And America has no need for a Muslim show, we already had one. It aired on 9/11, 2001 and it was live on all the channels, and America decided that that was enough.

When I first read this thread, I made a joke about it in my head, but I didn't know people actually felt this way! Here's how the joke goes:

"I learned all I need to know about Muslims on 9/11"!

Too much!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Who cares what Katie says?

Jews run Hollywood, so the real question is, would such a show make sense for them? If so, how would that look?

I'm guessing that "if" such a show was ever produced, Muslims would not be so pleased.

JR

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Oh yeah, that's what I want to watch.

UBO's (UnidentifiedBlackObjects - known as women in head-to-toe black burkhas) running around while we try to figure out who is who, and the father and brothers philosophically arguing the merits of honor killings versus jihad, and who's going first.

I can just see it all now.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
If any network does this in America

I swear we will shove a boycott right up their ass!!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

I hope it's not TBS, Coco needs all the support he can get!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenIndaSun
Also, according to the logic of the muslim show, we most certainly need a show to normalize public opinion of the repeal of don't ask, don't tell. Maybe a prime time sitcom surrounding a love affair of two soldiers.

Been done already. MASH TV Series. Corporal Max Kilinger, Moslem crossdresser.

(seriously!).

PS- I turn off Katie Couric RELIGIOUSLY already (yechhhhhhhh).
edit on 31-12-2010 by Chakotay because: for the Halibut...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Religion is Terrorism.
Religion is Terrorism. 2nd line same as the first.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
We need good comedy. Comedy is used to diffuse or manage current fears it could be a very therapeutic exercise for the USA and subsequently the west to have the right kind of laughter. It could be a very edgy and creative programme.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join