It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katie Couric - America needs a Muslim version of The Cosby Show

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You know, there will always be bigots and eventually your kind are always shoved to the side and ignored.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your post. Who are "my kind"?

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
But it is not a joke. Many Americans do truly feel this way,

Sadly, it's true.

I see you don't seem to like the idea of a TV show to expose these Americans to a Muslim family much as the Cosby show did for black Americans. I understand that you may not wholly approve of TV, but these Americans are watching TV, whether we like it or not, and while I'm not crazy about TV and its influence in our culture, why not use it for something positive? I think (and assume you do, too) that it would probably be very little like an actual Muslim family in the US, but the image some non-Muslim Americans have about Muslims now is also not accurately representative of actual Muslim families in the US. ANYTHING that would be made into a sitcom would be a better image (and more accurate) than they have now.

hbt, I know this idea of Couric's seems a bit crazy, but it's an idea. I wonder, do you have any ideas about a way to get this message to the public at large? The message being that Muslims are just like everyone else? Good and bad apples included.
edit on 12/31/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
at first thought, why not ?? there is plenty of trash on the tube to choose from, why not add more variety. however, on second thought, it could be beneficial IF the show depicted the efforts to integrate the muslim family with US customs rather struggling to change them to suit themselves. Not that any tv is equal and balanced (hahahaha) but i've seen more than enough of this PC crap and if that's the best one can expect, why waste the effort?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The reality is that they could put something like that on the air all they want, but I'm pretty sure it'd be canceled after the first season. I'd think that religion makes for a bigger culture difference than skin color. I just don't see your average Westerner being able to relate to it.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

"THESE Americans"- now who's being the bigot?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You cant say "comedian" and Mo Rocca in the same breath. Oxymoron. My left nostril is funnier than he is and likely more intelligent.

Katie Couric?

Shes about as mindless as any of the morning tv talk show hosts around.

All and all, when it all comes to a head these two will be the first against the wall if their "utopia" were to happen.

Good riddance.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Or how about a Black Muslim ( Married With Children )( Rosanne) (Good Times)
Showing Reality of Life, Troubled Times Struggle of the Blue Collar Working Class Hero
In which is the Majority of America

With Someone like Louis Farrakhan or Malik Zulu Shabazz as the Dad Role ! ?
I dont think it would work out From All American Tradition Traits but it would be interesting ..

I can See that Katie Couric is a Total W.A.S.P.

There is a Big difference in N.O.I. as it is Now .. and The Traditional Islam

Comparison with traditional Islam (Some Good Some Bad )
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
Bring it on! Who doesn't love to gather around the TV with the family on these cold winter nights and watch some hilarious beheadings and honor killings?

(And by the way-if I recall correctly-didn't alot of black people dislike "The Cosby Show" because it was too "white"?)

Well the Reality is this !

(Religion Fail) !

Muslim Television Channel Founder Charged With Beheading His Wife

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
www.foxnews.com...

The estranged wife of a Muslim television executive feared for her life after filing for divorce last month from her abusive husband, her attorney said — and was then found beheaded Thursday in his upstate New York television studio. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Actually you could have both factions represented.The integraters and the fundamentalists. The potential for comedy complexity would be increased and would also have deeper characterisation as opposed to the mere cyphers or cartoons usually seen on TV.
edit on 1-1-2011 by tiger5 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

You are overly sensitive.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
The only reason to object to a sitcom about Muslim Americans is that you think it is a good thing for Americans to be unreasonably paranoid and divided against each other.

Um .... no. Read the thread. What is objectionable for me is that Hollywood thinks it is morally superior and that they have to teach Americans to come up to their idea of morality. One look at the morals of hollywood and it's easy to see that it's absurd. And for Hollywood to be preaching at us via sitcom ... talk about a Goebbles wetdream!

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Exactly. So does the OP.

OY

There are many people in the US who are ignorant about Islam and what it means in many people's lives. Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds hatred.

And having the ignorance of an ostrich with your head stuck in the sand is just sooooooo brilliant.

I think it's a good idea.

Yeah .. no surprise there. Having Hollywood shove their version of morality on America
under the false guise of entertainment.
Bet you watch MSNBC and think it's just fine and dandy.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

If you were following the conversation between hotbakedtater and myself, you'd know that "these Americans" are the Americans who feel that they learned all they need to know about Muslims on 9/11. Those are the people we were talking about. I didn't want to write all that out six times.

It's like taking about children who aspire to be musicians and calling them "these children".

What's bigoted about that?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Um .... no. Read the thread. What is objectionable for me is that Hollywood thinks it is morally superior and that they have to teach Americans to come up to their idea of morality. One look at the morals of hollywood and it's easy to see that it's absurd. And for Hollywood to be preaching at us via sitcom ... talk about a Goebbles wetdream!

Ummm. I read the thread and I have just two questions.

1-What the heck are you talking about? Where is this happening? Is Katie Couric running Hollywood now and the wheels are in motion for Muslim moral lesson from Hollywood? I see one person making a suggestion. How do you turn that into Hollywood is actually pushing Muslims on us now? Even if they made the show, it would be just another crappy sitcom anyway...and one about religion. I have a remote and more than one channel. Seriously, did Katie make a suggestion or is everything you said above happening? How did I miss that?

2-Still curious why you added "black"

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Um .... no. Read the thread. What is objectionable for me is that Hollywood thinks it is morally superior and that they have to teach Americans to come up to their idea of morality.

Hollywood doesn't THINK. Hollywood is a town. Katie Couric lives in New York, not Hollywood. She is one person. SHE thinks. She thinks MAYBE we need a Muslim sitcom. She voiced an idea. Big deal!

How does that translate to Hollywood thinking that it's morally superior to Americans? That's absolutely whack.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

That is because I believe anything that is put forth on the tv is ultimately part of someone's agenda, like all media we consume. So no a tv show about Muslims would not be something I would think would make any difference on TV. Anyone who truly believes the Cosby show is responsible for Americans somehow accepting blacks is a fool.

Also, why would I have an idea on how to get people to accept Muslims, on TV or off?

edit on Sat, 01 Jan 2011 08:34:05 -0600 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
That is because I believe anything that is put forth on the tv is ultimately part of someone's agenda, like all media we consume. So no a tv show about Muslims would not be something I would think would make any difference on TV.

So, you don't have a better idea, then. OK.

Anyone who truly believes the Cosby show is responsible for Americans somehow accepting blacks is a fool.

No one said it was wholly responsible. It did, however contribute to the acceptance of blacks in America. I can say that because I know it helped change my views as I was raised in a racist home.

Also, why would I have an idea on how to get people to accept Muslims, on TV or off?

I was simply and respectfully asking for your thoughts on the matter. My bad.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Hollywood doesn't THINK. Hollywood is a town.

Hollywood is a town. Hollywood is also a word that collectively describes the people in the town.
Hollywood is also a word that collectively describes people in showbusiness and describes that business.
Everyone knows this. You do too.

Katie Couric lives in New York, not Hollywood.

You are back to playing with the bold again. Funny.
Where Couric lives is irrelevant. She is a high profile TV personality. She has Hollywood connections.
She voiced that she'd like those in the Hollywood business to preach at America via a sitcom.

She voiced an idea. Big deal!

again .. backatchya.
This is a discussioin board. We are discussing it. If you don't like it, or can't tolerate people discussing that Couric thinks we should have a muslim version of the cosby show .. then go on a different thread. No one is forcing you to discuss it.

How does that translate to Hollywood thinking that it's morally superior to Americans?

Oh pleeeeze ... you really can't be that blind, can you? A high profile TV personality is calling for Hollywood to educate people to be more morally correct (according to her/their morals) when it comes to how Americans think about Muslims. If someone thinks they can do such a thing, then obviously they think they have the moral high ground on a subject and that others aren't as evolved on it as they are. DUH.

That's absolutely whack.

No. What is whack is that you are in such an all fired hurry to try to argue with me, that you can't see straight. Deny that all you want .. but you don't really want to see what is staring you in the face. THAT is whack.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
What the heck are you talking about? Where is this happening?

- read the thread. What happened was that Couric called for Hollywood to have a Muslim version of The Cosby Show because we 'need' it. That is what happened.

Is Katie Couric running Hollywood now and the wheels are in motion for Muslim moral lesson from Hollywood?

I never said she is running Hollywood.
I never said the wheels were in motion for it to happen.
Geee ... twist what someone said much? :shk:

How do you turn that into Hollywood is actually pushing Muslims on us now?

I never said that Hollywood was actually pushing Muslims on us now.
Again ... twist what someone said much? :shk:

did Katie make a suggestion or is everything you said above happening?

If you had read the thread you'd know that she made the suggestion and NO ONE said it was happening.

How did I miss that?

You only see what you want to see.

2-Still curious why you added "black"

Asked and answered. I added nothing. Out of the many sitcoms she picked a black one.
Don't even try to pull the race card. That'd be a load of bull.

And here's my one question .. who the heck would have starred your post asking these nonsensical 'questions'? Oh .. gee ... I'm sure we all know.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

Look, just check out the Canadian show and tell us what you think.

Otherwise, you're just perpetuating that good 'ol American ignorance.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I added nothing.

You most certainly added something.

TV anchor Katie Couric says that America needs an American family of black Muslims to be the core of a new sitcom show.
IMHO - being preached at by Hollywood with their PC version of black Islam under the guise of a sitcom ...

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
We have a popular show in Canada...Little Mosque on the Prairie www.cbc.ca....

I LOVE this idea!

Many people in the US are SO afraid of white, Christian, American-born, heterosexuals becoming the minority that they're deathly afraid of any reflection of a culture that's NOT like them.

In spite of that, we have black shows, gay shows, women's shows, men's shows, Christian shows, British shows, Mixed race shows, Jewish shows... I don't see the harm in representing another segment of America.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

- read the thread. What happened was that Couric called for Hollywood to have a Muslim version of The Cosby Show because we 'need' it. That is what happened.

I did read the thread. Someone on tv said something. And....?

I never said she is running Hollywood.

You said Couric suggested it.
You said Hollywood was doing it.

I never said the wheels were in motion for it to happen.
Geee ... twist what someone said much? :shk:

You said that all this stuff was happening. What did I twist?

I never said that Hollywood was actually pushing Muslims on us now.
Again ... twist what someone said much? :shk:

I paraphrased. Perhaps you would like to offer a correction if my summation of your idea is incorrect. I am open to that.

If you had read the thread you'd know that she made the suggestion and NO ONE said it was happening.

I did read the thread and YOU said it was happening, twice now.

You only see what you want to see.

I see your words, need me to quote you or can you scroll up?

Asked and answered. I added nothing. Out of the many sitcoms she picked a black one.
Don't even try to pull the race card. That'd be a load of bull.

Huh? So because she said that the Cosby show was good for blacks, anything she said about Muslims must mean "black" Muslims? I am not getting it. You said she is talking about black Muslims and I only see her talking about Muslims. I am not pulling any card. I am curious why you would insert one.

And here's my one question .. who the heck would have starred your post asking these nonsensical 'questions'? Oh .. gee ... I'm sure we all know.

Probably anyone that can read your posts.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join