It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katie Couric - America needs a Muslim version of The Cosby Show

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

The old testament seems like a different religion to me than the new testament. BTW I'm not a radical christian. I believe that Fred Phelps is an idiot.

I'm not trying to slam all Muslims, but I do think that it's time to recognize that the religion needs to undergo a reformation rather than relying on 7th century Prophets.

edit on 5-1-2011 by Wildbob77 because: bad spelling

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Almost every day of the week, one can read about the latest atrocity committed by the religion of peace.
You can bury your head in the sand and try to say it's just a few on the fringes of the religion but that just doens't seem to be based on reality.

The whole premise of this thread is that there ought to be an effort made to cut through the propaganda that fuels American adventurism...and the Canadian poodle that sniffs its butt in approval (yes, Steve...talkin' about you).

The fact is that Western governments are pulling out all the stops to keep their countries in a state of fear calculated to make the rich richer, the poor poorer and deprive one and all of their civil liberties.

Suck up those atrocities...I wonder how many stack up to 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' or Kuwaiti babies tossed from incubators, in veracity? One may find whatever one wants on the net to support ones xenophobic premises but that does not add up to truth.

The old testament seems like a different religion to me than the new testament. BTW I'm not a radical christian. I believe that Fred Phelps is an idiot.
I'm not trying to slam all Muslims, but I do think that it's time to recognize that the religion needs to undergo a reformation rather than relying on 7th century Prophets.

Well then, they all might, might they not?
edit on 5-1-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: playing nice

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It could be a good thing to have a series about Muslims especially if it deal with substantial issues. One of the best ways to enlighten the masses is through humor. Take a look at the old series All in the Family starting the worlds best bigot.... Archie Bunker. I think shows like that helped many people realize how stupid prejudices really are.

However, we live in a politically correct world today and you won't find an equivalent TV series today that address the issues associated with the Muslim faith the way that All in the Family dealt with the issue of racial discrimination.

My personal belief is that most people are pretty decent regardless of their religious beliefs. However, I also think that it behooves us all to shine the light of ridicule on behaviors that should have died out a thousand years ago, once again regardless of religion.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

It could be a good thing to have a series about Muslims especially if it deal with substantial issues. One of the best ways to enlighten the masses is through humor.

Check the thread...we're doing it in Canada

Take a look at the old series All in the Family starting the worlds best bigot.... Archie Bunker. I think shows like that helped many people realize how stupid prejudices really are.
However, we live in a politically correct world today and you won't find an equivalent TV series today that address the issues associated with the Muslim faith the way that All in the Family dealt with the issue of racial discrimination.

Stupid? Well, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you are one dumb Polack!"

My personal belief is that most people are pretty decent regardless of their religious beliefs. However, I also think that it behooves us all to shine the light of ridicule on behaviors that should have died out a thousand years ago, once again regardless of religion.

Agreed
edit on 5-1-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Honor93

Finally! Thank you!

I'd never heard of this Molly Norris. I thought you were talking about the Dutch cartoons.

Still, making cartoons about it is one thing. A well-done thoughtful show would be better received. And I don't think we should let terrorist threats dictate how we behave or cause us not to exercise our free speech rights.

you are quite welcome accompanied with an apology ... Molly is old news and i thought most were aware. And it's not just the cartoonist ... in Denmark, the writers, producers, editors and others are living in fear of their lives due to the muslim objection and threats.
here's a more recent one:

Ms Hirsi Ali had been flown to the event secretly. She has been the subject of threats from Muslim extremists since writing the script for the movie Submission, which was critical of Islam

**** please don't hold this source against me ... i seldom indulge but it came up with a google search of us artists+fatwa ... source: gawker.com...

If all of this isn't enough to at least cause concern ... how 'bout this instead:

Molly Norris, former cartoonist for the Seattle Weekly, is now in FBI protective custody and living under an assumed name after drawing a cartoon of Mohammed that sparked “Everybody Draw Muhammad Day!”
source: dawudwalid.wordpress.com... ... and ya know what's really bad about it?? if you click on the original Detroit news link, the story is only available if you 'pay' for it ... the story you request is no longer available for free it says.

we agree that this behavior is less than acceptable but it forces us to consider this query ... is life but a joke?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

One may find whatever one wants on the net to support ones xenophobic premises but that does not add up to truth.
and this statement goes both ways equally ... i can find whatever i want on the net to support any religious fanatical premise, but that does not add up to truth.
All religion fails society perpetually.
notice i didn't say faith but religion ... scrap it all would be the best answer.

ok guys, not meaning to offend with these questions but ... how's that religion working out for the ppl of Haiti? or perhaps the Indonesians as their country sinks beneath their feet? how do you suppose that religion thingy is working out in the West Bank? Ireland? Saudi Arabia? USA? really ppl, haven't we learned anything, yet?
edit on 5-1-2011 by Honor93 because: add text

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
you are quite welcome accompanied with an apology ...

No worries.

And it's not just the cartoonist ... in Denmark, the writers, producers, editors and others are living in fear of their lives due to the muslim objection and threats.

I believe you. I believe there are people in the world who are somewhat in fear of terrorists threats.

I also believe that it's unfair to refer to terrorists' objection and threats as "Muslim objection and threats", as you have done above. It's not just you. When you (and others) use the word Muslim, when you really mean terrorist, it seems to indicate that, to you, Muslim = terrorist. You can and do use the words interchangeably, sometimes adding the adjective "moderate" to differentiate the milder Muslims. The ones who aren't terrorists...

This very attitude is what needs to be addressed, IMO, and what I think Katie Couric was saying. I'm not even convinced you are aware that you're doing this, but it's a common occurrence in these threads about Muslims. You might want to give that some thought.

But you don't have to prove to me that some people are rightly afraid of the threat from radicals. I believe that.

My point is that even if some people are afraid, we can't let that dictate our lives. We shouldn't try to appease those who are making the threats to scare these people, should we? Should we be politically correct and try our best not to offend these tyrants?

Or should we let them know that they cannot take from us the very foundation of the freedoms that we enjoy in our country? Just because some politicians have given up on the ideals this country was founded on, doesn't mean we all should.

If we were to let people's fear (and even terrorists acts) stop us from being the country this was intended to be, then we've given up.

We have so many divisive issues today. In my mind, if this show could help take one away or bring it out for intelligent discussion, it really couldn't hurt.

I don't think we're arguing about whether the show has a right to exist, but I guess we have a difference of opinion on whether it would be successful or serve to unite people, even if a little bit. I would be willing to give it a shot. And of course I strongly disagree with you using the word Muslim when you meant radical or terrorist.

/soapbox

edit on 1/5/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I believe there are people in the world who are somewhat in fear of terrorists threats.
agreed and probably more than necessary ... however, the threat exists.

I also believe that it's unfair to refer to terrorists' objection and threats as "Muslim objection and threats", as you have done above.
ok, on a different topic, i may agree ... however, i don't do that PC crap ... and in This case, the only objections and threats originate from muslims (and i won't specify radical/fundamental/exremist because i am not privy to their viewpoint ... however, they are All muslims). Not any other sect of any kind.
If it were more than one, i would agree, 'terroristS' ... however, that is not the case in any of the artists currently suffering extreme duress.

It's not just you.

i know, i've read your comments to others. sometimes appropriate, sometimes not.
Your particular opinion is not the standard, either. Matter of fact, i don't believe there is a 'standard' of thought.
i know mine fluctuate based on the circumstance of the situation. I would imagine others do as well.

When you (and others) use the word Muslim, when you really mean terrorist, it seems to indicate that, to you, Muslim = terrorist. You can and do use the words interchangeably, sometimes adding the adjective "moderate" to differentiate the milder Muslims. The ones who aren't terrorists...

and the 'word police' don't interest me one bit. i say what i mean and i mean what i say ... i am human, i error but i also learn from same.

when the christians banned Harry Potter, they were the 'crazy christians', to me
when the Fed building in AL fell, he was the 'freakin' fruitcake and nutso - insert religion here'
when the pilot flew into the IRS building, again, he was a 'lunatic - insert religion here'
when the churches were torched, it was 'those maniacal atheists' (i truly forget which group but insert religion)
when the abortion clinics were being attacked and drs killed - it was those 'expletive -insert religion-pro-lifers'
when the election riots occurred, it was those 'off their rocker tea partiers - crazy insert religion here'
**** not, hey look at that group of wild, crazy and whacked-out, American citizens ***
it's just American english, get used to it.

If it weren't for the fact that most activities that occur specifically to inflict and inflame a sense of terror, usually originate in some form of religion, perhaps i would naturally speak differently (without any prompting from anyone). However, it is what it is and i am not afraid to say so. if you disagree, show me otherwise.

This very attitude is what needs to be addressed, IMO, and what I think Katie Couric was saying. I'm not even convinced you are aware that you're doing this, but it's a common occurrence in these threads about Muslims. You might want to give that some thought.

don't need to, i lived before, during and after both All in the Family (prvsly quoted) and Cosby and many others. As stated before, in the beginning, it served a purpose ... over time, it eroded advances made and created new problems.

We shouldn't try to appease those who are making the threats to scare these people, should we? Should we be politically correct and try our best not to offend these tyrants?

no but we do anyway. PC, never ... "try best not to offend", sure ... at least that concept works for me.

Or should we let them know that they cannot take from us the very foundation of the freedoms that we enjoy in our country? Just because some politicians have given up on the ideals this country was founded on, doesn't mean we all should.

well i certainly haven't and i am not the person to discuss loss of freedom with ... boy do i have stories to tell. but on a brighter note, We the People are the government and when we get that straight, the rest will fall into place. It is cosmic balance.

If we were to let people's fear (and even terrorists acts) stop us from being the country this was intended to be, then we've given up.
did you miss the Patriot Act? TSA? DHS? need i go on?

We have so many divisive issues today. In my mind, if this show could help take one away or bring it out for intelligent discussion, it really couldn't hurt.
issues / tissues ... quit lookin at the small stuff ... we have much bigger things with which to concern ourselves and fill our airwaves ... just my opinion.

I don't think we're arguing about whether the show has a right to exist
correct ... but i'm not sure when this discussion evolved into an argument about anything ... did i miss that?

I guess we have a difference of opinion on whether it would be successful or serve to unite people, even if a little bit.
we do

I would be willing to give it a shot.
likewise but again, don't we already have enough nonsensical entertainment already?

And of course I strongly disagree with you using the word Muslim when you meant radical or terrorist.

ok, disagree but QUIT telling me what i mean ...you are wrong. I said muslim threats, i mean muslim threats and until it is something different, i don't intend to change my word or 'meaning' for you or anyone else.

you could say i was being as congenial as you were when you assumed i was spreading disinfo (Molly) before being bothered to look for yourself. Be the change you wish to see. Ghandi

yes soapbox but at least we are engaged in a discussion, isn't that what this is about?
on a side note: here's one reason i have 'issue' with 'terrorist' ... in all of my life until turn of the century, the word simply did NOT exist, period. You will not find a definition for it in many 'older' dictionaries, especially printed ones. and, considering the above, i prefer specifics, not generalities as that word indicates. It is far too generalized for me to use as frequently as desired. you ok with that?
edit on 5-1-2011 by Honor93 because: add text

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

I do appreciate that you went two posts in a row without resorting to just posting some picture you found on the internet instead of an original thought though.

Wow, slamming the humorous pics I find and post?
The way I see it, a pic it worth a thousand words or at least a second line.
I must be overdue, hope this makes up for it.

Keep in mind these are meant to be humorous, so it's obvious you are easily offened by comedy too. Case closed.

One of the funniest people I know is a Muslim. How many have you actually spent time joking with? There is another that spends all day laughing about the Daily Show from the previous night at work. I know this is never going to sink in but Muslims can also be people.

To be honest I thought I knew two, one at work and one at the gym. Both were some of the nicest people I've ever known, easy going a good sense of humor. I was just about to admit I was wrong about Muslims until, to our surprise, we found out they were actually Persian. Back to the drawing board.

Fanatics? I suppose Fred Phelps proves Christians have no sense of humor then?

You'd be surprised to know more Christians have spoken out against this clan that have Muslims against the fundi-Muzzi-jihadists.

Who is "they?" You mean that less than 1% you are talking about?

I am sure you have your ratios reversed.
It would be safer to assume the 1% you reference are actually the ones that have a decent sense of humor, like the folks you work with.
But don't be so quick to trust them because once they are reminded to hate the inidel you can consider yourself an enemy, unless you are one yourself.
But even if you are correct with your 1% assumption and considering there are 1 Billion Muslims, 1% still amounts to quite a bunch of angry folks.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
In case you've forgotten, the Cosby Show was a comedy show and comedy is something Muslims just don't get very well, if at all.

Then how do you explain the success of Little Mosque on the Prairie in Canada?

BH, I'm sorry not familar with that show, but to answer your question, it's probably because they slam and poke fun at Christianity, which now appears to be the norm.

Given the recent round of activities by the left, progressives, gays and even atheists, to slam anything related to Jesus and give rise to anything and everything that continues to morally bankrupt this country, I would say the answer is simple,
...there is indeed a conspiracy against Christianity.

Don't be surprised if the show begins to win Canadian Emmy's.
Once it does, all you'll have to do is recognize a familiar pattern.

Muslim is the new gay. A decade or so back, sitcoms began introducing gay characters who get all the sharpest wittiest lines. They’re curiously desexed gays (butter wouldn’t melt in their mouths, never mind anywhere else), just as these will, I’d wager, prove to be curiously deIslamized Muslims.

link

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I was just about to admit I was wrong about Muslims until, to our surprise, we found out they were actually Persian. Back to the drawing board.

1. Muslim is not a nationality or race.
2. Most Persians are Muslim.

BH, I'm sorry not familar with that show, but to answer your question, it's probably because they slam and poke fun at Christianity, which now appears to be the norm.

I think that what you meant to say was "I know nothing about this but I will comment anyway."

Your reading skills are lacking. Earlier in this thread I posted from the wiki page to help lazy Islamophobes like yourself to know what the show is actually about.

Baber Siddiqui (Manoj Sood) – A divorced college economics professor and the most conservative member of the Muslim community in Mercy, he acted as the imam prior to Amaar's arrival in the pilot episode; when Amaar briefly quits his job in Season 3, Baber again takes over as imam, and proves to be one of the reasons the community is so determined to get Amaar back. His conservatism often conflicts with the wishes of his teenage daughter Layla, although he loves her dearly (in fact the main reason he has custody of her is that when his ex-wife came to visit him after he moved to Mercy she saw that the only thing he had bothered to unpack was his daughter's picture on the wall). He wears a taqiyah and constantly rants and raves and complains about everything, to the point that most of his acquaintances consider him obnoxious. He once falsely claimed that he was on the American no-fly list to cover up his own fear of flying, resulting in Rayyan and Amaar taking him to the American consulate in Regina three separate times to help him clear his name. He calls most non-Muslims "imbeciles" and "infidels", although it is rather obvious that he is not any sort of dangerous fanatic but just a harmless crank.

Derp the show is about how great radical Islam is!

Rev. Duncan Magee (Derek McGrath) – The priest of the Anglican Church which also houses the mosque, he is a good friend of Amaar and the two religious leaders often turn to each other for advice. He is liberal, once offering to perform a gay marriage at the church, and is willing to stand up to the church hierarchy when he believes that it is acting inconsistently with the true message of Christianity. He often laments the sad state of his own church and congregation. He suddenly left the church after the events of season three, replaced by the ambitious younger and distinctly less accommodating Rev. Thorne, played by Brandon Firla, who feels it is his religious duty to compete with Amaar for the souls of the residents of Mercy.

Derp the show is just an attack on Christians!
edit on 5-1-2011 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Don't be surprised if the show begins to win Canadian Emmy's.
Once it does, all you'll have to do is recognize a familiar pattern.

On the other hand, one could settle in and watch a few episodes online (links have been amply provided), and then one wouldn't be speaking through one's patoot.

Trust me, the programme pokes gentle fun atChristianity and Islam, both. And in this day and age, we can all use a little mirth at our own expense.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike.Ockizard

Its the muslim thingy. Its the Sharia Law, abuse of humanity, women and children, the death shrouds they wear that should be outlawed and the primitive eye for an eye thingy. Its all been orchestrated by the Rothchild's and NWO by the way, and we the people are for the large parts, saying NO.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
hmmmm, after reading this: www.zap2it.com...

The popular Canadian comedy "Little Mosque on the Prairie" will get an American overhaul courtesy of 20th Century Fox TV
i am more inclined to believe it's a bad idea.

Fox tv, 20th century and an overhaul ?? now that's a recipe for some real fireworks ...
tis a shame the posters in support of this don't seem to understand that what they enjoy, we'll not receive (unless via the net).
Hollywood seldom sells 'truth', it is bad business.
the muslim populus would do well to curtail an 'overhaul' of what is proven to work ... but alas, i'm pretty sure that isn't how the contract reads.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
What America really needs is less Katie Couric. Every time i hear her voice i feel a little dumber.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by Mike.Ockizard

Its the muslim thingy. Its the Sharia Law, abuse of humanity, women and children, the death shrouds they wear that should be outlawed and the primitive eye for an eye thingy. Its all been orchestrated by the Rothchild's and NWO by the way, and we the people are for the large parts, saying NO.

While you're at it, you may want to take a shot at re-writing a bunch of the Old Testament...maybe the Torah, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join