It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by oliveoil

So you make a thread asking for examples of the Catholic church wrongdoing and when a poster presents an example you mock him? Kinda immature but oddly not surprising.

Hypocrite much?

it is so we can have you guys all in one place, then some can add others to their rivals list ect...

big conspiracy

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tat2tony
i have a problem with the church and im catholic.they have their hands in all kinds of polotics.they are pure
evil.i could go on and on.jesus christ made no religions.man made religion.religion is for people that dont
want to go to hell and spirituality is for people who have already been there.

Did you mean to say that you were Catholic? 'Cause I'd be very surprised if you are currently a Catholic.

Your post loses a lot of meaning when you provide absolutely no argument behind a polemic such as 'they are pure evil'. Not to be rude, but it's pretty much useless at that point.

Also, it makes your post easier to read if you capitalize at the start of your sentences. Again, I don't mean to be rude. Just a friendly suggestion.

Eric

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
More of this nonsense, Catholics do not worship Mary. There are plenty of websites that will detail this for you, so look it up and quit limiting yourself to antiCatholic the pope is evil websites.

We usually had to recite the "Hail Mary" while kneeling in front of one of the many graven images of Mary my Catholic church had. Your Catholic church did not pray to or idolize Mary? Mine sure did.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

So are you getting all the reasons people hate the Catholic Church that you were expecting when you started this thread?

Btw you didn't answer my question. You said for the most part the Pope had nothing to do with the Inquisition, and for the most part people were excommunicated for it (which I really doubt are accurate assessments in the first place, just apologetics) but what about the rest of time? What about when the Roman Catholic Church itself conducted Inquisitions and tortured and killed people? And what about when no one was excommunicated for it? That's a pretty sick blemish don't you think? The Church sure did seem to have something up its ass making it want to control everyone, to the point of forcing death on them if they didn't conform.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

More of this nonsense, Catholics do not worship Mary. There are plenty of websites that will detail this for you, so look it up and quit limiting yourself to antiCatholic the pope is evil websites.

We usually had to recite the "Hail Mary" while kneeling in front of one of the many graven images of Mary my Catholic church had. Your Catholic church did not pray to or idolize Mary? Mine sure did.

Than I guess you remember how that prayer went. Including the part that says 'pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death'.

It doesn't say, 'grant us entrance to heaven and your welcoming embrace' or 'forgive us for our sins', it asks Mary to pray for us. As in we are asking her to pray to God for us. The same as I would ask a relative or friend to pray for me.

Mary is not worshiped by Catholics, although I'm sure that it would make for a more comfortable worldview for you if she was.

Eric

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

look, You should really do yourself a favor and wiki the information you request.Its all right there. Really

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Nah, I think you should Wiki all of this.

It's all right there.

Catholic Church = historical mass murderers. Everyone besides Catholics seem to be aware of this, and even many/most Catholics.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The Church sure did seem to have something up its ass making it want to control everyone, to the point of forcing death on them if they didn't conform.

Kinda like how muslim extremism operates today , wouldn't you say ?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by okbmd

The Church sure did seem to have something up its ass making it want to control everyone, to the point of forcing death on them if they didn't conform.

Kinda like how muslim extremism operates today , wouldn't you say ?

I wouldn't know. I've never felt threatened by Islam and unlike Catholics, they never slaughtered my ancestors either.

Come to think of it, no Muslim has ever even dared ask me to convert, or even spoken to me of their faith. Evangelical Christians, on the other hand....
edit on 30-12-2010 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I've never felt threatened by Islam and unlike Catholics, they never slaughtered my ancestors either

So , are you inferring that you feel threatened by Catholicism ?

Were your ancestors really slaughtered by the Catholics ? I mean , do you know this for a fact , or are you just "generally speaking" ?

None of your ancestors were ever "slaughtered" by muslims ? How can you be so sure of this and state it as fact ?
edit on 30-12-2010 by okbmd because: corrections

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

EricD answered it in much the same way I would have. It is unfortunate if that is what you thought was going on, clearly you didn't pay attention, it's better to understand the words you are saying.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricD
Than I guess you remember how that prayer went. Including the part that says 'pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death'.

Yes, you mean that part of the prayer to MARY? That part of THAT prayer. Sure do. Glad you can admit Catholics pray to statutes of Mary now.

"Blessed are thou, among women."

It is indeed a prayer to Mary. Sorry.

It doesn't say, 'grant us entrance to heaven and your welcoming embrace' or 'forgive us for our sins', it asks Mary to pray for us. As in we are asking her to pray to God for us. The same as I would ask a relative or friend to pray for me.

I never said anything about what was in the prayer. You kneel in front of a statue of Mary and pray TO HER. Where did you get confused?

Mary is not worshiped by Catholics, although I'm sure that it would make for a more comfortable worldview for you if she was.

Eric

Of course, anything you say is just true and although I was raised Catholic, I am just making things up?

Catholics pray to graven images of Mary.
Catholics worship Mary.

Saying it is not so does not just make it not so.
edit on 30-12-2010 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Evangelical Christians are not Catholics, so your point is irrelevant. I would also like to know where on the planet your relatives were murdered by Catholics, a country of origin is specific enough.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

EricD answered it in much the same way I would have. It is unfortunate if that is what you thought was going on, clearly you didn't pay attention, it's better to understand the words you are saying.

The "words I was using" were all included in a prayer to Mary we recited in front of a graven image of her. You telling me this does not happen in Catholic churches is well, not very convincing. I guess my church was special.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

You are horribly misinformed. You would argue that Mary was not blessed among women? God chose her to be the mother to Jesus, imho that is pretty blessed.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

No, perhaps you were just special. I have never met a Catholic, or a person that simply attended a service, that was under the impression that Catholics worship Mary. Does she hold a special place? Absolutely, she is the mother of our lord, but that does not make her God. We ask her to pray for us, we ask her to ask her son to forgive us, we believe that Jesus will never deny the request of His mother, and in that through the Hail Mary, and every other Catholic prayer, we ask for forgiveness, we ask for guidance, but we do not ask these things of Mary.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

You are horribly misinformed. You would argue that Mary was not blessed among women? God chose her to be the mother to Jesus, imho that is pretty blessed.

I would argue simply this.

1. I am the Lord your god. You will have no other gods before me.
You will not make graven images and attribute to them what you would God.

Praying to Mary at the foot of a Mary statue is then what? Oh, a sin!
You justify worshipping Mary any way you like. If it makes you feel good, do it.

9. You will not bear false witness.

You play with your commandments however you like. I am sure your god only meant them as suggestions anyway.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Yes, I know. You pray to statues of Mary. You worship her. I said that already. Why say it again for me but with different words? We are on the same page. Catholics pray to statues of Mary. You justify that to St. Peter however you like. Not my place to judge. I am an EX- Catholic and plan to stay that way.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Well every time I turn on my television,,a priest has molested a little boy(s)......We can start there. Its not really just roman catholicism,,it is religion itself that separates logical humans from ignorant humans..To be a part of something based on murder and force is the most ignorant thing a person can do..All to save your unproven soul you selfish morons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Wow you're acting like the Catholic Church is the only thing thats hated lol. Islam is hated by a lot of people too.
The majority of Catholics and every other religion/sect etc are, I have no doubt, very nice people.
The problem is you generally hear about the bad things that 'Catholics' have done and not the good. Therefore it's quite easy to see why peoples opinions can get swayed.

At the end of the day Catholics have done terrible terrible things and so have pretty much every other religion/sect. It doesn't mean that everyone is hated.
I'm sure 99% of ATS users don't hate Catholics, they just hate the bad things they see on the news... and once you see a number of bad things then you start to associate these things with the overall name. (That makes sense in my head so...)

To me you just sound a little bit butthurt because a few people have poo-pooed your religion...... well get over it. Everyone gets crap for no reason at some time or another.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join