It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't...

page: 56
<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I will just reply to all of this in one simple post... as simple as your head will absorb it.

Sin, you chose to focus on and chop up a few words, but you missed the point. If you read a few posts before that one, you can take the example of how I PERSONLY feel.

You focused on this...

So disturbed people who think pedaphilia is ok because they cant fight the urdge, is normal?

Should we let rapests and murderers go free because some simply cant help it?

Im not saying that being gay should fall in this kind of catagory of filth and unhumanity, but, for some, it's just as disgusting as lusting after a 2 year old or infant child...

But really, you focused on "but for some, it's just as disgusting as lusting after a 2 year old..." but you forgot what you read above it. First, I was asking a question. My personaly curiosity on the subject can be seen in the before mentioned post. Did I compare them? Yes, because you can not deny that people believe the statement is true. Did I say that I believed it or compared it for myself? No. Thats what you assume because you probably didnt go back and read the post before. Hence the "I'm not saying that being gay should fall... but some people believe this." Now, if I had said ... but i'm with others on bla bla bla... it would have been a lil diffrent.

I'll answer this myself also. Again, that is, because I have already stated it in the first post.

So even you acknowledge scientific evidence to lean towards it being innate but then...

Personaly, I have not seen any evidence that holds enough water for me to believe it's the case. I have, however, seen counter evidence leading to other causes, and I mentioned some. Is it possible that it's genetic? Sure, I can believe that, if you show me enough evedence to prove it. So I will not keep talking in circles in responce after responce, I have nothing against it, other than not wanting it influencing the values I hold my family to. Every person has that right. Some things are sacred to people. It doesnt mean we should crash someones wedding, but at the same time, at least respect what others hold sacred. I know gays who believe this. And I'm sorry to say, these guys and gals know where I stand and they're ok with it. If they lie about it, I think I would know. We respect each others beliefs and thats the end of it.

You deny that evidence based on "could?" How much time did you spend studying your friends upbringing and what level psychology degree do you have? If you are going to convince me that your idea of what could have been overrides scientific evidence you admit to, I need to see some credentials.

Isnt it a great information age? Dont you realise that the average teen on the internet today has more knowledge than the first great thinkers?

I think we can reason enough to know that it doesnt take a doctor to tell a woman how to raise a child. Why would you need a shrink to know what people tell you about themselves, and what you see around you? Do ya think a shrink would know more than they? Do you think that they dont know about their own lives?

In alot of cases, when people say stuff that upsets others, instead of explaining the diffrence or other possibilities of the matter, what could have been a reasonable question is shut down because perhaps it's not presented correctly. An upset person would might not see the question in a statement because they may feel that the question or post or discussion was a jab at them personaly or their ideal as a whole. Constructive conversations about the question could be had instead of rock throwing, which in every case Ive seen, leads to nothing at all. Simply someone screaming louder than another. Everyone is intitled to an opinion either way and I accept yours, but perhaps you'd understand where I'm comming from if you stood in my shoes. I see things as Ive understood them over the years. if you can show me something better, I would welcome it. Till then, accept my opinion as well. (shrugs)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

So you got your psychology degree from Google University?
Well, next time you need surgery, call a teen with a T1 line.

Sorry but your whole post is a bunch of your feelings that you try to add credibility to by saying a teen with an internet connection has knowledge. I guess that is why teenagers are running everything? You have even admitted there is some science that would say you are wrong, none saying you are right but you think you are right because teenagers + google = smart?

Hey, whatever you have to tell yourself.

The important thing for you to remember is that whether you are right or wrong, none of your gay friends think you are right and chances are you think your friendship with them is a little stronger than they do. If telling your "friends" they lie about the way they were born is all ok at the end of the day because you looked on the google, and think you might be right about then great. Just do not be surprised if some of these "friends" forget to show up at the funeral.
edit on 4-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Perhaps you should take your own advice. Where did you get your degree? I actually have a degree, just because it doesnt happen to be in psychology, doesnt mean I didnt take a class as an elective.

Why would I ask a teen with a T1 to do surgery on me again?

My.. arnt we overly opinionated. This is what I mean by force feeding...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

Perhaps you should take your own advice. Where did you get your degree?

Which one?

I actually have a degree, just because it doesnt happen to be in psychology, doesnt mean I didnt take a class as an elective.

I have not offered to psychoanalyze my friends. Taking an elective -
You even said yourself that you were assuming childhood traumas you had no evidence of. Which psychology elective was it that taught you to assume bad things happened to people and then evaluate them according to your imagined scenarios?

I do not come here pretending to know why people are the way they are based on things I make up about their past because I want to. You did that. I felt you should probably offer me a reason to give it any credibility. An elective does just the opposite, thank you.

Why would I ask a teen with a T1 to do surgery on me again?

Because of this odd statement from you

Dont you realise that the average teen on the internet today has more knowledge than the first great thinkers?

Really? How far do you trust the average teen to be able to properly employ all that internet knowledge?
In fact, the idea that you think the internet is a good source of knowledge kind of scares me. I read the pleadians would be back on New Years ON THE INTERNET. Must have happened. I learned it here.

My.. arnt we overly opinionated. This is what I mean by force feeding...

Yes, you are but its ok, I am almost as bad as you.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

No no I think you are more than him.....sorry I had to....lmao god I feel it coming already

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarineSniper12Kills

No no I think you are more than him.....sorry I had to....lmao god I feel it coming already

Hey cool. I can take that. I am overly opinionated. Fine.
At least I am not stalking any posters just to toss one line off topic personal attacks towards them.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Lmao I told you I saw it coming.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarineSniper12Kills

Lmao I told you I saw it coming.

Because you know it is true. Congratulations on your clear grasp of the obvious.

Thread topic here
"I have gay friends, but..." Umm... No, you don't..., "

Maybe you missed it on the way in while you were sniffing my skirt from the last thread I stopped dealing with you in.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Well I have no problem with homosexuals...Just like I have no problem with them being in the military, at the same time, they should have seperate showers etc

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Rhem, when you asked the members if they would allow a homosexual man to watch their son, my head dropped and I lost a boat load of faith, in humanity.

You sir are ignorant. In the true sense of the word ignorant!

Homosexuals are no more pedophiles than heterosexuals. Why does everyone or at least the small minded ones always relate the 2?

Homosexuals are NOT pedophiles. To even relate the 2, is absurd and irresponsible.

Go back to being a bigot elsewhere!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So here's the thing. First of all i'm gay and subjective here so just, anywho. We all have our own views on what is right and wrong. Why being gay or having a different skin color is stil such a big thing i just sad, BUT i still feel that anyone has the right to their own opinion wich we also can react on, but this issue seems to got stuck a long time ago.

Can't we just try to meet halfways and admit we're all bigots to a certain levels. If not we would live in cabins in the caribian and just enjoy life since just having clothes is unethical today no matter how expensice they are, cuz either the fabric comes from areas that are poor and are poisoned by the chemicals used that always end up in some river, or the clothes has been made by kids or suicidal young asians that litteraly lives at their job.

Just see the whole matter from another point of view and it just ends up being really ridiculous.

This makes me think of a scene from The Simpsons where Homer says:Because in the end, aren't all religions the same?
"They tell us what to eat, when to pray, that this lump of clay called Man can somehow shape himself to resemble the divine. But we can never attain that perfect grace if we have hatred in our hearts.
So let us celebrate our commonalites. Some of us don't eat pork. Some of us don't eat shellfish. But we all eat chicken."

Homer Simpson: So spread the word: peace and chicken!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio

Rhem, when you asked the members if they would allow a homosexual man to watch their son, my head dropped and I lost a boat load of faith, in humanity.

You sir are ignorant. In the true sense of the word ignorant!

Homosexuals are no more pedophiles than heterosexuals. Why does everyone or at least the small minded ones always relate the 2?

Homosexuals are NOT pedophiles. To even relate the 2, is absurd and irresponsible.

Go back to being a bigot elsewhere!

So I am incorrect when I say that this tends to be a common mindset? Dont confuse my words with my own beliefs. Im just a very blunt person. I dont feel that people should walk on eggshells around any subject, especially one that has been brought up for discussion. You can ignore the obviousness of the world around you if you want. Many people are afraid to give their own opinions, but since this is a free world, at least up to this point, I can offer my opinions, and the opinions of those I've known around me, and the opinions of those I've seen in discussions of any nature prior.

To be honest, I really dont care if you want to believe what I'm saying or not, or if you think that everything I've put out there are my own personal views. To be exact, you're psychoanalizing me assuming that these are my own beliefs. In most cases, I used such statements to show that it's just as counter productive to say the same things I'm responding to. The arguments hold just as much weight. So, in alot of cases, I'm being very sarcastic. Either way, I wont hold back when throwing stuff out there that I feel people need to hear as well. What I know is more less based off of what I see. I learn from the people around me. They do not make me, but I can understand the people that surround me. I can do the same reading these countless posts. Most of it is an educated guess. Untill you can show me something to counter it... I'll stick to my ways.

If you're reading the posts correctly, you wouldnt be arguing, unless of course, you're arguing for the sake of argument, which doesnt seem uncommon here. ....thats just an educated guess.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost artistic
So here's the thing. First of all i'm gay and subjective here so just, anywho. We all have our own views on what is right and wrong. Why being gay or having a different skin color is stil such a big thing i just sad, BUT i still feel that anyone has the right to their own opinion wich we also can react on, but this issue seems to got stuck a long time ago.

Having an opinion is one thing. Denying Equal Rights for All because of a belief/opinion- fear/judgment is not OK.

My mother had polio and was disabled prior to the Disabilities Act. So - to think this is only about gay equality - - it is not.

The rest of the world and its equalities is another thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lost artistic

Well Said!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Who is denying equal rights? Not seeing eye to eye has no impact on someones rights. What you don't seem to understand is, someones sexuality is not that important. There is much more to a person than their sexual orientation, so not liking or "agreeing" (yeah I said it
) should have no bearing on a friendship.

A gay man can "disagree" with my heterosexuality all he wants, even be repulsed by it, and I wouldn't care less. I wouldn't be offended nor would I be apprehensive to spark a friendship with him, because my heterosexuality is not my defining attribute. Why can't the same be true for both sides?

If you argue that to have gay friends one MUST accept or like their sexuality, then you yourself are confining the "gay friend" as nothing but gay without any other qualities, attributes, facets or virtues.

edit on 4-1-2011 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2011 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck
Why can't the same be true for both sides?

Because:

Heteros aren't persecuted.
Heteros can get married.
Heteros aren't told they are an abomination to God.
Heteros don't have laws against them - preventing them from adopting children.
Heteros don't have gays making laws against who they can love and be with legally.
Heteros don't get fired for telling a student they aren't married because its against the law.
Heteros aren't judged for sexual attraction to opposite sex.
Etc Etc Etc Etc

"I have gay friends, but . . . . "

There is No But . . . in knowing a gay person is normal and naturally gay by birth - - and must not be denied Equal Rights - - because it makes some people uncomfortable - - for whatever reason.

There may be other "buts" - - - like - "You're my friend - but don't touch my stuff"

Like I said - - my mom had polio - - before the Disability Act - - a business could refuse to let her enter - - just because she made other customers uncomfortable. And YES - - this did happen more then once.

I do not know what it is to be gay - - but I do know what discrimination and inequality is - - and how it feels.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Why can't the same be true for both sides?

Because:

Heteros aren't persecuted.
Heteros can get married.
Heteros aren't told they are an abomination to God.
Heteros don't have laws against them - preventing them from adopting children.
Heteros don't have gays making laws against who they can love and be with legally.
Heteros don't get fired for telling a student they aren't married because its against the law.
Heteros aren't judged for sexual attraction to opposite sex.
Etc Etc Etc Etc

I have no idea why you wrote this, what does this have to do with my post? Or are you trying to imply that these indignities are my doings?

"I have gay friends, but . . . . "

There is No But . . . in knowing a gay person is normal and naturally gay by birth - - and must not be denied Equal Rights - - because it makes some people uncomfortable - - for whatever reason.

There may be other "buts" - - - like - "You're my friend - but don't touch my stuff"

Like I said - - my mom had polio - - before the Disability Act - - a business could refuse to let her enter - - just because she made other customers uncomfortable. And YES - - this did happen more then once.

I do not know what it is to be gay - - but I do know what discrimination and inequality is - - and how it feels.

Are you sure your replying to me? Because none of what you wrote has touched upon the subject or addressed my post. We are talking about friendships not human rights issues.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Are you sure your replying to me? Because none of what you wrote has touched upon the subject or addressed my post. We are talking about friendships not human rights issues.

I don't walk around the issue.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Again, I'm confused. You don't walk around what issue? Human rights issues? Good for you. But unfortunately this thread or my posts is not about Gay rights or Disability rights. Its a discussion on whether a straight person can be friends with a gay person and have reservations about homosexuality.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Just shut up!! You made a very stupid comment and now are trying to fall back on some philosophical reasoning.
You wrote a sentence, not quoting anyone. You realized how ignorant your comment was, and came back for damage control... And... In true sociopath form you'll state something along the lines of " I dont care what you think I meant"... If you didn't, you wouldn't be here posting!

top topics

<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join