It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans----> You're FAT!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
reply to post by intrepid

Having kids is even more of a reason to stay fit. I was always saddened my Dad couldn't go on tramps with me because he was overweight.

I would want to be setting an example in every area of my life.

What you want to do, and what you actually do are two different things.

If you want to really set an example your future children can put to use, show them how to not be perfect, yet still be decent, hard working, fair, compassionate, and always striving for improvement.

I don't think you mean to sound as militant as you do...but once you have kids and spend your life running around to make sure that their every little whim is met, all you can do is think about how you can get into bed a little earlier. BTW, if anyone ever figures that one out, hook a brother up!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Same here!

I think fast food is a big problem for lower socio-economic levels. These big up-sizers and family meals are cheap and toxic, but are *reasonable* for many on tight budgets.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by sonjah1

Also I wish to apologize if I've offended anyone. This was not directed towards those who have legitimate health issues beyond their control.

This was directed towards those who are self inflected with an overweight problem. They know what they did to get there and know what it will take to extract themselves.

I'm glad to read you weren't making fun of overweight people with legitimate and sometimes serious health issues.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You are so correct. Way too many Americans are way too overweight, and it is getting worse by the day.

What really gets me.......I see very overweight people in the grocery store with their carts full of nothing but crap food.

You go to a buffet, and there are overweight people everywhere just piling their plates to the max.

It's like people have no concept of what they are doing to themselves. I know there are people out there that have medical conditions they cannot help.....but my gosh.......it seems half of the people you see on a daily basis are very overweight.

Hell....I am not perfect.....I am 6'2" tall, and weigh 225 lbs. I am considered overweight by the Body Mass Standards.
I at least try to eat healthy foods, and exercise, and yes, I could lose a few pounds

When I was a child, many, many years ago.....there was only one or maybe two children in our school that were heavy.
Now, it's almost 50%.

Too much TV.......Computers.....Computer Games, and not enough physical activity or proper foods.

I know this country is basically bankrupt now.......What the hell is going to happen when the Government begins to pay for the health care of all these overweight citizens??? Hell......We will probably just close up shop...and tell the last person out....to turn off the lights...and close the door behind you....because it's over.

PS...By the way Sir Slayer.....that is very beautiful scenery behind you.....where is that if you don't mind saying....Oregon/Washington/ or California??

Anyway, thanks for the laugh. and also thanks for the seriousness. Maybe you just helped stimulate a few people to make some positive changes, including me.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeta55

I know this country is basically bankrupt now.......What the hell is going to happen when the Government begins to pay for the health care of all these overweight citizens??? Hell......We will probably just close up shop...and tell the last person out....to turn off the lights...and close the door behind you....because it's over.

Whaaaaat? Are you serious? Do you think "fat" people will usurp the last dollars of this country for their health care?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
hmmm...not sure what to say about this. I do think it's possible though that while you are probably skinny you certinaly lack class. No I'm not fat, though you will say I am. I can only imagine the endless nights of you flying solo.... LOL

I know pleanty of very happy "fatties" who have special someones. Honestly, this thread is offensive to even the most base of "jackass", no offence to any "jackasses" that may be reading.

Keep up the good work my man, because of you there are a few more "ladies" still looking for a special guy. ; )

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

God knows theres only fat people in America.

Strange, I never saw any fatties anywhere else.........Oh WAIT! I DID.

Euro trash is just mad because we can eat beef everyday and there is ALWAYS milk at the store. We can weigh whatever we want and still outlive the crappy europeans because we arent stuck with government regulated medicine and bad teeth.

Oh but Im an American, I have no cultural understanding.............OH WAIT, MY COUNTRY IS BIGGER THAN YOUR CONTINENT. And my state is the size of Germany.

But I dont travel.......OH WAIT! I DONT NEED TO, CUZ AMERICA HAS EVERYTHING.

Go hop in your 4banger geo metro or your fiat or whatever the hell worthless diesel you own. I have to go gas up my big truck and my GTO and live a free life on my land. Think Ill go out back and shoot my guns wildly and have a few beers and enjoy the heaping failure that is europe and how it has pailed in comparison to America for over a century. A country so much younger and newer its unreal

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

American 49 female tellin you how I lost the fat. 2007 went to buy a new pair of jeans 12, 14, 16...Olbs. H! my gawd I wont go any further, sweat pants. went home found the scale. 194, 5 feet 3 1/2 ( thought I was verally ery large framed).
no diets, no lipo suction, no surger, no lapp ban, no dietitians.
Resolution.
Fast food has not touch my lips sense that horrible day.no soda, I drink water and tea. No fried food allowed in my home. I eat two small meals a day, I must admit for the first 2 months I literally thought, no I knew I was going to die of starvation, however eventually my fat body realized my "will" was stronger then then my stomaches ongoing pressure to feed it.
I decided I would stop eating the exact second I was full, Immediately I realized I had to pay attention to each and ever bite of food that went into my mouth,to ensure i would realize when I was full, thus I was eating much slower becomming full much faster.final result 1 year later 129 lbs and happy happy happy
I can eat anything I chose, cakes cookies whatever, in moderation of course, i stay away from fast food and fried foods.
From one fataholic to you given from love and for free, quarantee it works

link   
I'm glad you included people who are on medications or are depressed...but I'd argue that some people do indeed have gland problems. I personally have an underactive thyroid (very mild case fortunately) which in essence makes it very difficult for me to lose weight, and very easy to put it on. I've gained a tiny bit of weight in the last year but have started to work real hard to try to get it back off. Thing is, I have to work like 5 times harder than normal to see any progress...but I still fit into all my size 8's so I think I'll be ok...

That being said, I see morbidly obese people and I wonder how they honestly could let themselves go like that. Do they have no will to live? Do they just not care? Setting aside all the excusable reasons like medicine and disabilities (and even then people, you dont have to become MORBIDLY obese..), I just dont know how people can let it happen.

And no, sorry ladies, fat is not beautiful. Ever. Its disgusting, unhealthy, and just plain looks bad (and I dont care what previous societies or cultures thought, we're living here and now..and we all know fat is unhealthy). I wish I could tell every fat 20 something I see trying to wear a tight pair of jeans and blouse, with some 'all that and a bag of chips' attitude, that no honey..you dont look good...you're fat, and as lon as you're fat like that you will never really look 'good' (unless the guy eyeing you is a chubby chaser..and even then..)

One thing I don't get is people can harp on you for being a smoker and say 'oh its so bad for you bla bla', but its politically incorrect to tell someone how fat and unhealthy they are? How awful they look like that and why the hell would they let themselves go like that? Another pet peeve of mine is fat women and men alike within the subculture I identify with, which is goth. For some unknown reason, goth attracts a LOT of really fat people...they seem to flock to it, apparently thinking it is one of the only styles they can get away with being so fat, for example wearing a corset. But honey if you have a 2 foot buttcrack running down your back from wearing a corset...you're too godamn fat to wear that and anything else really.

/rant

Just an afterthought...if we forced everyone who was really fat (aside the predetermined excuses) to wear nothing but burlap sack clothing, do you think people might start looking after their health more? lol...I'm only kidding. Really though, I'd like to see what burlap sack clothing would look like..any fashion designers here? lol!

link   

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Ok i find it funny people say they dont have time to exercise because of kids but they have time to post on a forum at least a hour a day. Seriously someone explain that one to me.

Most people will work 40-60 hours a week for that nice car, that huge house, that boat etc etc but when it comes to the most important asset they have, their health they let it go to hell.

edit on 17-12-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

link   
I resent the fact that in the past 9 years, I have gaines almost 180 lbs. It is embarassing and shameful. I, like most obese people, have done it to myself. Yes, there are a few factors that sped up the weight gain, and are making it hard to take it off, But it's my own damn fault. I am now 400 lbs, and can't stand to look in the mirror. If I would have seen it happening from the beginning, I would have put a stop to it. Yes, some of us have contributing factors to our fatness. But, they are not the reason we are fat. We over eat, we drink too much soda, sit on our asses...whatever else you can think of. Face it; we could have and should have done more to stop it. WE made ourselves fat, no excuses.

link   
to set examples for your children spans past work ethics and friends, church and so on, fat people wow is this a major example a major impact on OUR children

link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Whaaaaat? Are you serious? Do you think "fat" people will usurp the last dollars of this country for their health care?

Actually it is generally true, overweight people cost more money because they have a lot more health problems. I think thats what he was trying to say.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xavialune

this is a slippery slope to be on, if we single out the fatties because of their cost to society, then whats next? The elderly? Those who are dying? This is a course that eventually leads to a loss of humanity and respect for life.

In the end, if you cost too much to society, you aren't worth the investment anymore.

Interesting thing....those who claim to love all life are the ones who propogate this kind of "fat" anger.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xavialune

Originally posted by Chai_An

Actually it is generally true, overweight people cost more money because they have a lot more health problems. I think thats what he was trying to say.

This is an assumption. People are assuming the "fat" person is sickly. Secondly they assume this fat sickly person would be relying on the government to take care of them instead of them being self insured.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Chai_An because: a after thought

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

I've always wondered why fat people talk about themselves as.." I am a big person " . You're not big..you're fat.
Big is someone who exercises.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
reply to post by Xavialune

this is a slippery slope to be on, if we single out the fatties because of their cost to society, then whats next? The elderly? Those who are dying? This is a course that eventually leads to a loss of humanity and respect for life.

In the end, if you cost too much to society, you aren't worth the investment anymore.

Interesting thing....those who claim to love all life are the ones who propogate this kind of "fat" anger.

I'm not saying anything that is subjective. Obese people simply cost more money to insurance companies...that is because they are overweight, and being overweight is known to increase your chances of a whole slew of health problems, specifically diabetes and heart disease. It isn't like I'm saying we should kill all fat people, I am simply stating a fact. That is why if you are morbidly obese, your health insurance goes up (I know, because my mother was morbidly obese at one point in time). But yes eventually the taxpayers do have to front some of this cost..it does cause an impact. what I would suggest doing though is more outreach to people on the dangers of becoming obese (not in a way to cause eating disorders), promote healthy eating and healthy living...unfortunately a lot of this stuff comes down to big business, big pharma (these people WANT you to be sick), and corporations whose business it is to sell junkfood to the masses.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Do you know how much self insurance costs?

also, people were talking about economically disadvantaged people being more likely to be obese because of the junk they have to eat to get by on what they have for money.

Now if you factor in being more likely to be obese if you are poor, do you really think that same person will be able to afford being self insured?

No, the government is going to have to front a lot of the cost. Just inquire in to any welfare demographic statistics...And yes, you can say morbidly obese people ar emore likely to get sick. It isnt an assumption, it is fact. You are much more likely to suffer from things such as heart disease, diabetes, lymphoma, gout, skin disorders, gastrointestinal disorders...the list goes on. you're obese? you're damn right you;re more likely to be sick. and thats going to cost more money if you arent insured or aren't self insured. and I'm sure someone can chime in with the current number of uninsured americans..keeping in mind that a great percentage of the entire country is overweight...hmmmm

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

Unfortunately Chai An, I do. Overweight people have many more health problems than do non-overweight people. That is a fact, not an opinion.

Currently in the US, when a person turns 65 y/o, they become eligble for Medicare Benefits. If our population continues on this path of becoming more and more overweight.........Yes.....It will bankrupt the country.

I personally don't care to pay taxes to help pay the medical benefits of anyone that could care less what they eat, or drink, or how much.....then their health goes down the drain.....and off the the Hospital or Dr they go to get help....when all along they should have been helping themselves.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join