It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans----> You're FAT!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
only one problem.... its not an American issue...

Half of Europes adults are obese

That's not true Hunka Hunka, you take it back right now! Only Americans are capable of being fat and imperfect. I thought everybody knew that

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

God I love fat jokes! My family teased my mother mercilessly over her weight as a child, but it didn't really do much. You'd think the eating disorder she developed as a result of being deemed a second class citizen would've helped, but she's still a little chubby. We try telling her that she needs to purge more so she's not such a disgusting embarrassment to us, but she never listens. She just goes on and on about how it gave her heart disease and blah, blah, blah. But hey, if it worked for Karen Carpenter, then it should work for her too!

edit on 18-12-2010 by Torgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Great thread idea Slayer69, it is so true too. I myself am guilty of letting my weight get away from me, but after many health problems due to that, I have worked on turning it around. I was diagnosed last year as 'glucose impaired, then diabetic. My heart was giving out too, I didn't sit around and do it eating chips or cake, it happened eating regular meals, and then being sedentary. Circulation was affected as well.

I have learned to eat much more healthy now, first thing that went was coke. No more coke all day long. I cannot live my life without any coke, but no longer is it my drink of choice, instead it is something I treat myself to occaisionally. No fast food. NONE. I cook my own foods, if I need 'fast food' I will only order a salad that has beneficial lettuces in it, and no ranch or thousand island please, I love fat free italian!

Whole wheat breads are a staple now, I do not eat white breads at all, or white rice, or white potatoes. Just these simple changes resulted in a 30 lb weight loss. And I love multi-grain products, brown rice, and sweet potatoes!

Portion control is essential. I follow a rule, dividing my plate in half, I allow a meat portion on one half that would be 3-6 ounces of meat. The other half of the plate is filled with either one or two veggies. Drink water at meals.
This is recommended by the American Diabetes Association.

I am still learning what to eat, it is amazing how much selection is really out there when you rule out the crap food. I feel better, I look good, and I am still losing weight. My skin and hair looks great!

If I must say so myself, I look good! I get more attention from the opposite sex now than I did when I was 20, not a day goes by that I don't hear from someone how sexy I look. That comes from the changes I made being healthy ones, I am glowing ,and I can directly attribute this to my diet.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This reminds me of when my archaeology professor gave a talk on neolithic diet. He showed us a picture of a really muscular guy, in Stone Age outfit, and said something to the effect of: "People complain about how we set this as the standard in our shallow society...but they forget, this is the way man is supposed to look".

Let me put it like this. Once, man had to hunt, work hard in the outdoors, and fight every day of his life for his and his family's food. Once, that was enough to keep him fit and yet not malnutritioned. Regardless of what you say, I agree with my archaeology professor. Man issupposed to look like that. When he does, that's when his body functions at its best.

Unfortunately, in today's society, we don't have to hunt or fight for our food, and we rarely get to work outdoors for any longer periods of time. We can just walk to a store and buy the food instead. That creates a bit of a problem, since, quite frankly, our bodies are adapted to having to hunt and fight for our food. When we don't have to do it, we don't get the exercise that we and our bodies need.

And so we invented treadmills and barbells. Or, if you're economically challenged like me, the outdoor world offers jogging, and pushups offers muscles. Why don't you give your body the benefit of being what it was meant to be? It's earned it.

edit on 18-12-2010 by David_Reale because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
YOU'RE FAT
Don't sugar-coat it cause you'll eat that too!

I appreciate the pep-talk for the fatties, but you are perpetuating the fat American stereotype

btw Hey, Aussies, how's your guys' weight problem?

I wonder how long it will be before stuff like this is considered prejudice? Just imagine a fat kid bringing bullies to court with a hate-crime charge.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by David_Reale

I have a theory to that extent as well, even though Im not sure it is correct.

I believe that the harder one's ancestors had to work to eat and struggle to survive, the more likely it is that obesity is prevelant in the gene pool.

Some people just gain weight and their body holds on to every pound like it will be its last, where as some metabolize calories quickly. I think part of it stems from that working poor starving man syndrome, that chromosome in our bodies that can still remember going without food for days on end in harsh conditions.

Also it explains how some can be sedentary and gain weight quickly, because their recent lineage has been that of hard physical work and physical struggle. Since we arent out chasing animals, moving rocks or plowing fields with our bare hands any longer, those calories stick to us and turn to fat, where as before they would have been easily burned in day to day struggles.

Ever notice how certain ethnic groups seem to gain weight and are just larger in general than many others.

I blame my bastardized Scotish / Viking heritage. We are big people in my family. Not necessarily fat, just large framed, tall, sturdy people.

Some cultures I attribute it to poor diet and high carb eating habits, like hispanic culture for example. Everything made of beans and rice and flower, hence the tendency for obesity. Same with white southern culture, same with black culture, lots of fried foods, rich butter based sauces, too much fat and sugar.

But I do believe genetics plays a big part.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
All this fat and food talk is making me hungry.

mmmmmmmm

Anyway here's a site for some of you who want to quickly lose weight. Just 10-20 mins of your day.
If she can do it you can do it, just follow her daily routines, simple as that. Men and women can do it and it's all free.
www.bodyrock.tv...
edit on 18-12-2010 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Real Talk:

I used to be overweight and chubby from ages 10-18, which is probably the worst time in your life to be overweight. I didn't have too many close friends because of issues that stem from my weight situation. I started getting tired of it and decided to do something so I cut out fatty foods and started eating a more balanced diet. I was still a bit overweight but much better than when I was younger. Now I am a die hard natural and balanced diet type of guy. I don't put # into my body like your typical joe that is eating # every meal-everyday.

At my worst, I was about 6ft. 215 and now I'm a lean 170. Honestly, if you have a weight problem, don't mind what others say but do what is best for you. I can go on all day about different risks about the typical western diet but the only way people will change is if they do their own research and see the light.

All I'm saying is, if you're trying to lose weight here are my key tips:

Lift weights, do moderate cardio like powerwalk for 1 hour, jog for 40 minutes, or run at your fastest speed for 30 seconds and repeat it 3-4 times a day, 3 times a week.

Don't eat junk food even if it is labeled organic, think cookies, chips, dips, etc...

Stay away from vegetable oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil, and corn oil. Keep in mind most oils are rancid so be careful as they will indeed make you fat! I'd recommended virgin coconut/olive oils.

Stay away from omega 6 fatty acids

Make sure your meals are balanced being 20% fat, 50% protein, 30% carbohydrate.

Lastly, whatever you purchase at the grocery store, make sure it is in it's natural form and you make the meals yourself.

If you can follow these tips, you'll see the excess pounds just melting off.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Britain here.

Our nation is following you americans at a past pace............well it's more of a waddle. Kind of sad to see so many fat kids as well, i can't imagine how much shorter their lives will be. I live in a middle class area and out of the 4 or 5 kids in the street, 3 are obese and i've heard the parents making the excuses about being big boned and the ever classic "you'll grow out of it".

Sad, very sad. I can't exercise due to ill health but i'm still not fat, i had to cut a shed load of calories to prevent that and often feel quite hungry. It's all about will power.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
My problem with this thread is that, even though studies show a lot of Americans are overweight, the majority have never really dealt with a true weight problem. Most are just baby boomers who packed on the pounds later in life. The stamina youth provides to most protected them from the vicious cycle of binging and dieting that a lot of people have had to deal with their whole lives.

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
I am sick of hearing the " don't be mean to fat people" PC line. Well being nice and supportive certainly doesn't help either.

"Don't be mean to fat people PC line"? I've never in my life heard anyone ever say that a fat joke was in poor taste. Just look at all the fat jokes in this thread. In fact, fat jokes are the only taboo safe from the PC crowd, since obesity can affect anyone. I wish my mother's family had been more "nice and supportive" toward her when she was a child, seeing as how the fat jokes have sent her towards an early grave.

If only we were all so blessed to have had good genes, or better yet, good parenting when growing up.
edit on 18-12-2010 by Torgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
True, some people are fat because of the crap they eat. Some actually are fat from gland conditions. My sister had part of her thyroid removed because a tumor was found in it. She gained weight because of this. Low functioning thyroid = weight gain.
By the way, I'm 5'5 and weigh about 130 lbs. Not really fat.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Sorry Slayer, i have a thing for Mexican food and beer in the late hours. My bowl movements are gigantic and my waistline feels uncomfortable when i sit down, drives me bananas at times.

I have a turkey neck, man bewbs and the stomach of a prego woman.... I am an an American

Just harpoon me and use my blubber for soap and sushi my Japanese freinds.

FML

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Britain here.

Our nation is following you americans at a past pace............well it's more of a waddle. Kind of sad to see so many fat kids as well, i can't imagine how much shorter their lives will be. I live in a middle class area and out of the 4 or 5 kids in the street, 3 are obese and i've heard the parents making the excuses about being big boned and the ever classic "you'll grow out of it".

Sad, very sad. I can't exercise due to ill health but i'm still not fat, i had to cut a shed load of calories to prevent that and often feel quite hungry. It's all about will power.

Theres got to be something thats at the heart of all this? Why are our nations children becoming so fat? do the parents just not care or something?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Ive noticed that Americans who travel abroad tend to be more slim overall. This probably has to do with the comparison factor. Surrounded by normal-weight people they realize they are fat. Before they didnt realize it. It would be interesting to do a statistical study on that.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Yeah, you got us there, but I'm glad I'm not one of them. I am an American but I weigh about 145 at 5ft 10.5 inches. I wish I could gain more weight. lol. It's a conspiracy though you know, they sell us diabolical fast food and don't give us a long enough lunch break at work. We've been set-up for heart failure city.

edit on 18-12-2010 by bigrex because: typo

edit on 18-12-2010 by bigrex because: "

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I almost 100 percent agree with you Slayer!

The part of me that doesn't agree is the part that sees healthy people who do lots of exercise and eat right who are still bigger. Some people aren't meant to be super skinny, and I think that's alright. I think we should reframe the conversation - from "fat" to "unhealthy". No reason to comment on someone's appearance, but rather, on their lifestyle choices. Some people can't help being bigger, be it genetics, health problems, etc. But, everyone can take responsibility for making healthy choices for their body.

But yes. Most of what you refer to is unhealthy, and Americans in particular need to start reflecting on their choices and using willpower to stop taking part in the terrible plastic food that is McDonalds! No more Soda, Diet Soda, French Fries, Hamburgers, Fried Chicken... etc. Aspartame, MSG, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and many other equally terrible ingredients should be eliminated from food.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

What can I say, we like our jelly doughnuts. Now get down and give me 20!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Why don't you fatties just have sex more? It can be a great workout!
2nd Line

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Good thread.

I too am one of the fortunate people out there who can eat anything and stay slim. However, it does have its downside because i would like to be a bit heavier. At the moment i am 5'10" and weigh 140lb. My BMI is 19 which is perfect for me but i still feel very thin and there are a lot of people around me who are large-ish.

Mt doctor says its my metabolism and it will slow as i get older. So far though for the past 10 years i havent been able to get to 11stone, which is my ideal weight.

People who are over weight get depressed about it and those who are under weight also get depressed. Both are very hard to fix.

I eat about 3000 calories per day and cant do anything about weight gain. I excercise regularly too. I dont want to try all these weight gain products because i guess if my body needs to put on weight it will. I guess my body is doing exactly what it needs to do.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Amazing OP!
Thanks for the laughs

In Britain here, I can definitely say we..due to the increase in the standard of living and disposable income..are becoming a 'fat' country.

So much that the government had to intervene..one approach which was a advertising campaign.
But did people care?
No they didn't. I barely even took notice of it.

For me, the secret of staying slim is simple.
Don't care at how many calories you eat and so on...
Just eat...how you'd like to.

It works for me. I don't bother looking at the fat content or whatever..quite shocking as I'm female.
If it looks yummy...eat it

But then again...it could just catch up to me when I'm old...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join