It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans----> You're FAT!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

really?? interesting???
really interesting why?because I see what you are not wanting to admit accept and change?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Unfortunately, your correct about what you say. Fast food and junk food, plus the lack of exercise is making us fat. Here are a few tips:

1. Drive past that McDonald's. Learn to prepare your meals at home. If for no other reason at least you'll know that some kid didn't spit on or put a booger on your Big Mac.

2. If your plate looks like someone loaded it up with a shovel when you sit down to dinner, put half of it back! And don't fall into the trap of finishing up the the leftovers because there's not that much there to bother putting it away.

3. When you go to the grocery, stay away from the goodies. It's ok to have a treat once in a while, but if you buy enough goodies that should last say 2 weeks and their gone in 2 days and your heading back to the grocery for more, you have a problem.

4. Get some exercise! I live in a gated community where the mail boxes are centrally located. Its a 5 minute trip on a bicycle and since I enjoy riding, it always turns out to be much longer. You not only get the exercise by walking/riding your bicylcle, you save money on gas for your vehicle, pollute less and meet people.

5. Check your area for like minded people. Its not only fun to workout with others, their usually very supportive of what your trying to accomplish and will help you with tips on diet, etc.

6. Learn to eat properly. How you eat can be just as important as what you eat. Learn what the proper serving size is and how many calories are in a serving.

7. This is probably the most important tip: plan your work and work your plan! Set realistic daily/weekly/monthly goals and stick to your plan!

Remember, putting on weight is easy. All you have to do is sit there and eat. Losing weight requires more effort, but once you get in the habit of exercising regularly and eating right, you will be surprised at the results and how easy it is to maintain.

Good luck to all of you!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I was overweight once, about 70 lbs more than I am right now. I lost it gradually over a two year period. I did it with diet and exercise. When I was heavier, I had high blood pressure, I had chest pains occasionally, fat and salt were the things I loved. I started bringing apples to work, instead of buying chips out of the machine. I started lifting weights, slow at first, within two months I could bench my own weight. The reason I took it so slow, was that I had read that a lot of people who lose weight rapidly, gain it back sometime in the future. I kept it off, I didn't gain it back. It's been seventeen years and I'm still a lean, mean, painting machine,( I'm a house painter). Staying active, I believe is the key to keeping it off, I do a moderate workout every few days. Most important, my health today is really good.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
you see dear if you were to be argueing for a friend or family member who was overweight you would be refering to such person. therefore process of illimination places the arrow directly to you.
The problem is nto being FAT/OBESE/OVERWEIGHT the problem lies within the perosn who denies she or he has a problem

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by alonzo730

congradualtions am real happy for you, lt and I know it was difficult and long journy but the outcome was worht more then gold kudos to you

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
...ladies (yes, just the ladies), let me give you a little sisterly advice... when you get over 50, you need to keep a little extra weight on ya unless you want to look like a shriveled up prune... you're gonna be nothing but bones soon enough... why be in a hurry to look dead?...

...nowadays, some women have their butt fat sucked out and shot into their face to ease wrinkles... thats crazy and gives a whole new meaning to kma...

...and i wonder - how do they get just butt fat and not cellulite?... do they give you a guarantee that you wont end up with butt lumps on your face?...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

o my gooodness am 50 weigh 129 and look pretty durn good.

link   

Originally posted by prexparte
reply to post by Chai_An

really?? interesting???
really interesting why?because I see what you are not wanting to admit accept and change?

I find it interesting you presume to know me by my comments, so feel free to think what you want concerning me. But I stand by my comments you are making sweeping generalizations.

link   
welll I will be 50 before this year is gone

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Less than human?

yeah, I surmise!!

haha sorry bad chameleons pun.

ANYWAY.......*sigh* NO ONE is saying a fat persons life is worth less. No one. I am saying (aside from the simple fact about overweight people generally costing more money in healthcare) that we need to start reaching out more, and fixing the problems that are causing people to die early and preventable deaths.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I do not do any alterations to my body, I do keep my weight in check as I wasv66 lbs heavier or to sal it bluntly fat/obese/overweight not so long ago

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm American and I approve of this thread.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

S&F
Good for you bro! Happy to hear losng the weight.

I want to add something here though if I may.

As someone who has been athletic for a good majority of my 26 years, and in the last 5 years went from a solid 178 to 210 and back down to 172 there is something I noticed that increased my weight more than anything and has added to my recent (unprecedented) unhappiness. Hopefully, now I am finally finding a balance at 185 again (right around my average) which is where I have been "happy" in my life.

The biggest factor in my unhappiness and weight is drinking. To much drinking. Theres plenty of people out there that drink far more than I, with a far higher tolerance. But the alcohol consumption and tolerance of that consumption (being able to control myself in a much better/ coherent way) over the last five years not only lead to worse decision making (and this is after the first six years that destroyed my record) and to the complete upheaval of everything I had (personal relationships, losing money, selfishness etc.,)but also lead me to a path of complete lack of discipline and feelings of dispair.

Here is an example of a daily routine that is is consumed by alcohol. Get up at 1230-1. Do nothing and feel sorry for self, be angry at the people trying to help and the people who have left...EAT, EAT, and EAT some more. Maybe if your feeling like not being a complete deusche bag all day go to the gym. 6:30-8:00 rolls around and that itch starts in your mouth and your mind starts dreaming about that drink...that gin and tonic, that fat tire, that vodka redbull, that whatever does it for ya...so 10-11 rolls around and you head on out to the bar with one of your own. Someone that wants to get trashed with ya. So you spend money you dont have and time that you should be spending with your loved ones, at the bar...till the closng. Go home #ed up and EAT some more...crash at 3-4am... wash, rinse and repeat...

If you can not moderate that drinking, you HAVE to quit. For your own good, or your familys own good. For your body, mind and soul. It will win, you will be drained of life and things will spiral out of control. That includes weight, personal appearance, there goes your job and money and your motivation...gone.

Eating disorders are like anything. A mental problem. It is a battle within your own mind that you owe it to yourself to win.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Shut up man. I might be fat but I can still kick it

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...nowadays, some women have their butt fat sucked out and shot into their face to ease wrinkles... thats crazy and gives a whole new meaning to kma...

...and i wonder - how do they get just butt fat and not cellulite?... do they give you a guarantee that you wont end up with butt lumps on your face?...

Well I am not a lady but had to reply to simply say . . .

EEEEWWWWWWWW!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
only one problem.... its not an American issue...

Half of Europes adults are obese

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

lol, as an American I support this thread!

if this were facebook I would like it.. again..

There are some Americans that will disagree with me...

don't worry...

They are fat..

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Yes, very funny post, & a very serious issue. You could say it is the big fat elephant in the room(haha?)
42% !! That is very serious. I used to study Acupuncture & Chinese medicine & was taught to look past the obvious with health issues. My theories on what may cause obesity are too numerous to write here.
But I will add one: the western toilet is of a very bad design; it relaxes muscles in the abdominal region that should be used to evacuate the pelvic contents. People often get a bit of a culture shock when they travel to parts of Asia & the Middle East(even Europe) when they see a hole in the ground rather than a toilet, which forces them to squat rather than sit. Usually there are less obese people in these parts, coincidence?
While I'm typing I'll add another one: I really don't think humans are meant to eat meat.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I am fat myself, but have lost alot of weight. I can blame it on alot of things, people, education, parents, job, ect, but that wont solve the issue.

Now I have changed my eating habits and decided that regardless of who is to blame I need to loose it, and I have lost alot (70 lbs) since march. No miracle pill no crash diet. My rules are no fast food, no soda, no junk food, 2-5 mile power walks a day weight lifting 3 times weekly, and every other week I allow myself one day to eat whatever I want with the exception of fast food and soda. Working as a medic for 10 years took its toll on me, it's easy to power down fast food while working 24 hour shifts. I have always been active. I have my reasons for wanting to be healthy, to name a few I don't want my parents to out live me, it would break their hearts, I want to travel the world and not be that typical fat Amerian, I am very active outdoors (fishing camping, hiking) I don't want some family to find my remains while out on a trip. I don't want to spend all of my life savings on healthcare problems.

Now with that said just because someone is skinny does not mean they are healthy. I worked with a guy who was 6 foot 6 weighed about 130 pounds and would easily eat fast food 9 times in a 24 hour shift and he bragged that he ate like this off the clock also. I don't mean a burger, fries and coke either his average meal was 2 double quarter pounders, 20 nuggets, large fries and large coke. And he drank a 12 pack of coke a day also. This guy would stop off at a movie theatre and buy a xl popcorn for a snack and plow through it in the 15 min drive back to our station. We did the math at work one day and it came out to about 20,000 calories a day. Last time I saw him he was laying in a hospital bed having a heart attack at age 34. Still he only weighed about 130 pounds.

There are many issues in America that cause this type of problem. The lifestyle we live demands that we live like we are rich even if we are far from it. This means most Americans have little time between work social life and sleep to be active and or cook/eat properly, not to mention the whole household needs to work to keep up with the jones's. We have alot to learn from our parents and grandparent who lived through the great depression, they wouldn't be caught dead eating the crap we eat or buying the crap we buy.
Most of my friends eat out more often then they cook meals at home. Most of the fad health foods resturants serve end up being far from healthy and are usually way over priced. I knew a girl who liked jamba juice, so called healthy alternative. Look at there drinks and most have dam near 1000 calories and are loaded with sugar.

Losing weight was hard at first, I love myself a good cheeseburger. But I am to the point now were that cheeseburger is a rare treat and my mind is set to think of food as fuel for survival. Hopefully we Americans learn from this mistake and start educating people at a young age about making proper nutrition choices. I use to say " As a paramedic I have gone to plenty of call were some health nut drooped dead while doing his morning jog". this is true probably a dozen or so a year, but I went to multiple calls a day for that youg fat guy/girl in full blown congestive heart failure.

Will I ever eat fast food again? Maybe. Do I crave it everyday like I used to? Not at all it doesn't even apeal to me anymore. It took about 4 weeks to loose the cravings. Will I ever drink soda again? No never I was having issues with my stomach, one of those was being unable to eat/drink dairy. Even a little butter on toast would wreck me for a good 2 days. Since I have stopped drinking soda I have yet to get heart burn and can enjoy a little dairy in my meals.

Sorry for the long post but this has been a major point in my life for the past 9 months and will be for the rest of my life.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Yes, America is fat thinks to carelessness but what a lot of people fail to see is the UK is the second leading country in Obesity. I remember playing on xbox live with someone from the UK that had a web cam set up on the game and was complaining about how fat Americans were and my 2 other friends among myself were skinny....Accept that fat A55 from the UK that had a bag of chips setting on his belly!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join