It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petraeus: Burning Quran Endangers Troops

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnactedEgoTrip
This is an act of war. They would not be doing this unless they wanted to provoke a reaction. These extremists are just as dangerous as the Islamic extremists.

Well now they havent done a thing yet and even if they do burn a big ol pile of books its still zip when we behold the magnificant splendor of the cray muslim killing mechine. The muslim nut jobs are bloody intoxicated mad crazy savages. In a bus, at the ice cream stand, the pizza shop BAM goes the nut job with c-4 and ball bearings vest jacket or car bomb. Women, children in a blood salad cocktail.....all over the place...praise be to Allah.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Yes its a shame they aren't sophisticated enough to use arial drones and depleted uranium shells like us decent western folks do when we kill their innocent elderly, women and children.

Double standards.

There is an old saying, you fight your wars with the army that you have.

Just because they don't have the same kind of technology and regimentation that our own military does, doesn't mean that we aren't in fact killing thousands of times more of their innocent civilians.

Of course we just claim we aren't targeting them and play the usual word games like "Collateral Damage".

Heck of a way to respond to the alleged crims of 19 Saudis, blow up half of Iraq and Afghanistan and kill millions through aireal bombing.

The moral highground argrument is absurd.

The tactics argument is absurd.

We invade over a small band of criminals killing millions and act surprised when the poor people of those nations fight back with what they do have.

Words like insurgents to describe the people who live in those countries as if they have a lesser right to be there than the American military.

Oh you just don't like America, no, I just am not so enslaved to notions of nationality that it prohibits me from stating facts.

War is a stupid way to solve problems, violence begets violence, and two wrongs don't make a right.

It really is that simple.

Amazingly those that live by the sword die by it too, and then somehow want to complain.

People really imagine there is no price to pay for the dispraportionate use of military force, but there is, an endless cycle of violence, that just makes those on the short end of the stick more and more desperate.

I wish more people had the ability to actually think what the absurd things they are saying are actually saying.

Alas repeat a lie enough times and it becomes the truth.

What a world.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I distinctly remember Bush directing the Iraqi invasion via "God's Will".

Let's piece some things together here:

1990s: A major Islamic fundamentalist movement (Initially grown by the CIA) spreads to a global level and conducts attacks against political targets in order to spread their influence. Influence for such a group willing to attack American global interests boosts during the aftermath of the Gulf War and in response to globalization made possible by the demise of the USSR.

2000s: 9/11. Then US occupies two ancient societies under Islam, bombs their people, ransacks their culture, and through subversion turns Islamic factions against themselves in civil war (ie sunni vs shia vs kurd). Now the US is telling the modern Persian empire what it can and cannot do (which is what happened with Iraq, regardless of the compromise made).

It seems like followers of the bible scored a big one there. People can jump around the issue but the fact is that the American campaign in the Middle East is about religion too, because religion is a dying thing in the modern world.

As for this guy who plans to burn Korans, he is a douchebag. Simply put, he is a tool and he really put his country's reputation up for the test. According to American freedoms, he can probably go through with this stunt.. but if he is allowed then he is saying to ALL Muslims, not just the terrorists, that it is culturally acceptable to burn away spiritual freedom in the US and the US government endorses it by allowing it.

And remember the last time an empirical and violent country started to burn books of a select culture in order to dismantle their beliefs? It was the Nazis with Jew books. Then they took Jews and forced them to live in violent, extremely cramped ghetto cities. Then they were sent to "internment camps".

All of this same sh*t is happening again.

But back to this guy in the article. I saw him on Canadian news earlier (so obviously this is international news), talking about how 9/11 is now a national "burn the koran" day. Considering that 9/11 was conducted by cooperating elements of the Mossad and CIA, maybe he should be burning the other book instead.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Though there is no way to be certain, I feel a lot of these events are manipulated to perpetuate the myth that it was Islamic Extremists that perpetrated 9/11 in order to forestall forever any real credible investigation and trials into 9/11.

Likewise I am fairly certain Obama was selected by the Powers that Be to run on a very Anti-Bush platform but then slam the door shut on any kind of investigation into the Bush-Cheyney War Machine and White House and this absurd War on Terror.

They have effectively made people, not nations and armies the enemy, and all you have to do, is liberally have a terrorist label be placed on you to be targeted, no Islamic element required to be labelled a domestic terrorist.

It's just more smoke to get around the constitution, abuse people's liberties and institute a total police state.

It amazes me Americans have become so dumbed down they actually fell for it.

Our own religious extremists do come awful in handy in screaming that there is really something to fear.

We used to be the home of the free and the land of the brave, now we all run around having to be full body scanned and take our shoes off for fear we might actually hurt someone.

It's absolutely insane.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

Are you serious?

Burning some Quran's isn't going to put troops in any more danger than they already are by simply occupying Iraq/Afghanistan and meddling in their affairs.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chilled Zen

Are you serious?

Burning some Quran's isn't going to put troops in any more danger than they already are by simply occupying Iraq/Afghanistan and meddling in their affairs.

You took my thunder..... I had the very same thought.

Petraeus just needs to shut up and do his job. This is a civilian matter, not a military issue. Unless the general has political ambitions, why is he even talking about this.

Forget the fire, let's compromise. Dig a hole and bury the damn books with pork products.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well, if I was where this preacher guy was, I'd show up and burn bibles in front of them while they burned qurans.

That's like 2 for the price of 1.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
If this Koran burning event goes ahead, then the Americans deserve all they get in my opinion.

Nice to see you are part of the problem.

Great logic.

But if a few mad muslims do something, oh my god dont you dare say "All the muslims deserve what they get" because that's ignorant..

Right?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Burning Quran endangers Troops

As if they were otherwise "safe?"

What does an event that hasn't even taken place yet have to do with 2 "non-combat" troops killed in "non-combat" combat? With an IRAQI!?

Another convoy of "non-combat" soldiers falling victim to Iraqi "non-combat" grenades?

This article/thread ignores the obvious reality in favor of a politically acceptable whitewash of what we are facing and will continue to face as we subject our "non-combat" troops to "non-combat" situations over which we have abdicated control.

Idiocy and hypocrisy. Want some more "non-combat" KoolAid?

reply to post by ModernAcademia

But i'm pretty sure that troops being overseas and having a huge base in Iraq as big as the vatican and killing civilians just might be putting the troops more in danger than rednecks deciding to burn the book.

Who would've guessed?

Forget the books. What about soldiers left out as sitting ducks?

According to BHO, this is a GOOD thing!

Ask any Dem.; they'll tell you what a great situation this is. (For THEM!)

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

just putting this out there
anyone ever watch youtube videos in their life
you have people burning qurans, Bibles , torahs and posting them regulely.
so its not something new

the pastors not that orginal is he, maybe someone should start a bible fire next door on the day

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

Yeah, but two wrongs really don't make a right. I wouldn't want to be religious, but I wouldn't disrespect their books in that way.

Some misguided neighbor slipped a Bible into a stack of books she gave me, and I didn't even look at them when she did. Months later I was going through a book shelf and was astounded to find out I had a Bible in my home.

I really didn't want it in my house, but rather than disrespect it by throwing it in the trash, I just kept asking visitors and clients if they wanted it, until I found a more proper home for it.

I have respect for myself so it's easier to show respect to other people and things.

These people imagine they are burning a symbol of something, but in reality all they are doing is desecrating themselves.

Total lack of self respect, giving in to hate, prejudice and fear.

Of course that's just my own opinion. I am sticking with it though.

You don't end up with many enemies in life, if you don't go out of your way to make them.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I suspect there are very few Mosques in the Southern states due to their Civil War heritage...they are not easily "converted" and proud of it. The pastor in Florida is in part successful in leading a Church of proud southerners who take no gruf from outsiders...period.
Someone asked, "what would Jesus have done?"
The pastor probably asked, "what would General Lee have done?"

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Yes its a shame they aren't sophisticated enough to use arial drones and depleted uranium shells like us decent western folks do when we kill their innocent elderly, women and children.

Double standards.

There is an old saying, you fight your wars with the army that you have.

Just because they don't have the same kind of technology and regimentation that our own military does, doesn't mean that we aren't in fact killing thousands of times more of their innocent civilians.

You sound wholy simpathetic.

But yea by all means a bus full of shopers, students, everyday joes is just what the doc ordered to round out the score with those pesky high tech weapons. Maybe a mosque full of the local heretical sect down the road because they sucked up to the local gov and swore off any killing....but they hate each other anyway...one excuse is as good as another. And their favorite targets are unarmed farmers and shop owners....their bodies dumped on the edge of town...thier own countrymen...like human flith.

You should love those plucky Jews and what they did in thier first war with all that secondhand junk....beset on all sides. At least they comeout to fight....the others like to start crap and then go home and hide amoung the women and children and then masterbate while the AP photo guys run amok snaping pictures of the disfigure bodies of the neighbors dead children. Mom and dad chant death to Israel with an AK agaisnt the back of thier head.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Tada, the race card is played.......took longer than I thought, but yup, it came out. This has nothing to do with the south, and everything with his right to do this.......his constitutional right. Doesn't make him correct, but it is his right.......sounds like a reverse of the arguement over the mosque in NYC, I guess it only applies when we want to offend someone other than Americans.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

Actually his church is about 100 people, and most everyone else in town is pretty much against it.

Jones, who runs the small, evangelical Christian church with an anti-Islam philosophy, says he has received more than 100 death threats and has started wearing a .40-caliber pistol strapped to his hip.

Read more: www.miamiherald.com...

General Lee was anti-Union and not anti-Islam by the way.

Now by the way, the fire department is going to be coming to put out this fire, because Florida has strict burning regulations and they have been denied a burn permit, because of weather conditions.

The fire department has denied Jones a required burn permit for Sept. 11, but he has vowed to go ahead with his event. He said lawyers have told him his right to burn the Koran is protected by the First Amendment whether he's got permission from the city or not.

So he might start the fire but he can expect it to be put out by the fire department and he will probably be recieving a hefty code violation ticket.

As would anyone burning any kind of fire without a permit in Central Florida.

In this progressive North Florida town of 125,000 anchored by the sprawling University of Florida campus, the lanky preacher with the bushy white mustache is mostly seen as a fringe character who doesn't deserve the attention he's getting.

So what you have here is a guy not very well respected by the community who is basically just one of those fringe preachers preaching a message of hate.

Still, at least two dozen Christian churches, Jewish temples and Muslim organizations in Gainesville have mobilized to plan inclusive events -- some will read from the Koran at their own weekend services -- to counter what Jones is doing. A student group is organizing a protest across the street from the church on Sept. 11.

Bobby Lee this guy is not...

Jones, who has about 50 followers, gained some local notoriety last year when he posted signs in front of his small church proclaiming "Islam is of the Devil." But his Koran-burning scheme, after it caught fire on the Internet, brought rebukes from Muslim nations and an avalanche of media interview requests just as an emotional debate was taking shape over the proposed Islamic center near the Ground Zero site in New York.

Robert E Lee managed to attract more than 50 people to his cause.

But hey since people who think like him, want to abuse the name of their Lord to justify their hate, and arson, you might as well abuse Robert E Lee's name too!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Speaking of coming out to fight why not man up and join the military, since you are once again just doing what you seem to be so critical of others for.

But hey you aren't hiding behind women and children, just the Internet!

Conversely do you think our soldiers stay out in the field 24/7/365 or do they go back to their bases, and back home too?

How about those brave guys in Langley using unmanned remote control drones?

Which rifle to you think Winchester makes that fires 12,000 miles that makes their participation noble or manly?

We hide behind words like Stand Off and Attack Weapons to keep our troops out of harms way.

But if the enemy doesn't stand out in the open to be slaughtered 24/7 they are cowards?

The Russian President is right, we have the best propaganda in the world, you probably actually believe your own arguments.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I think the mater of the permit is just a way of trying to prevent him from his constitutionally protected right to do this. Seems it's the only way to stop it, and really a rather pathetic attempt at that. As far as the protests etc, sure this is gonna happen, and I would expect nothing less.......after all if it's anti Christian it's a good thing. The whole thing is pathetic, he's still gonna burn them (kinda stupid in my opinion), but trying to stop him, while applauding anything the muslims do, is counter productive.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is utterly ridiculous, Extremism anyone? Seriously if I was in Florida I'd buy some books from him and throw those in the flames with the quran... What a joke. I wish I was there, I hope someone attends this event and convinces him and his followers that this is just childish.

And seriously I don't want to burn any religions book, but this just pisses me off. I hope a lot of people attend and they decide they need a new pastor... because I get his message, but ISLAM didn't run into our towers... It was hate , the same thing that he's spewing.

I hope this guy realizes that burning the Quran is not the anwser...

Is this guy CIA trying to inflame both religions?? I mean seriously hopefully people see through this guys facade as just an attempt to demonize the west and our culture...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
edit:: Double Post

cant figure out how to delete.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by matt4GA]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

No it isn't. I live in Florida and twice a year friends put on a 3 day camp out party in their rural backyard. When we can we have a huge bonfire at night, but there have been times over the years when it's too dry the county declares no-burn.

When that happens we can't have a bon-fire, they absolutely will sent out the police and the fire department put out the fire, charge you for the fire departments time, and write about a 300.00 dollar ticket.

Huge parts of Florida burn almost every year from wild fires, so it's real serious when they declare no-burn.

Best way to find out though is go to Gainesville and apply for a permit to have a bon fire on your property the same weekend and see.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join