It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petraeus: Burning Quran Endangers Troops

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Like I said in another thread, Fahrenheit 451.
en.wikipedia.org...

Bradbury states that a person he spoke with at the local fire department said "Book-paper catches fire at 451 degrees Fahrenheit". The "firemen" burn them "for the good of humanity"

That book sums it up pretty well. Book burning leads to some dismal things.

And that book was published right after WW2.

So you can probably see the connections between the Nazi book burning practice and the novel.

en.wikipedia.org...

On April 6, 1933, the Main Office for Press and Propaganda of the German Student Association (Deutsche Studentenschaft) proclaimed a nationwide "Action against the Un-German Spirit", which was to climax in a literary purge or "cleansing" ("Säuberung") by fire.

I know others have mentioned the Nazis a few times also and thats good I just think it needs to be repeated because it's true mostly lol.

I don't think the man's right to protest should be banned. But I also hope no one follows him.

It's a win-win for everyone involved. I said this earlier lol.

1) Crazy guy gets to play with fire and burn something.
2) Book publishers make many sales and get media promotion of their product lol.
3) Politicians get something to whine about.
4) The military industrial complex gets to keep the war going and keep making arms sales. More crazy terrorists = more war.
5) Everyone gets to be reminded of ignorance. Burning any book of anything is just bad news...

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

Kinda like it's the right of the muzzies to build their mosque. It's their right but it doesn't make it right........can't have the constitution only apply to muzzies......it' was never intended to be that way.

What? I'm not building a mosque.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
ATS is an amazing place. Instead of builind a community center, the Muslims in NYC should donate their money because good Christian money is better spent burning books? The book burning making the us all look bad is not the burners faults but the medias? No matter how much danger this ADDS to the danger our troops are in, cowards here in the states want it to go ahead anyway? I must have opened the wrong website this morning.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AnjeluvDeath

Cowards? No, cow towing to the muslims would be cowardly.......and as far as the danger to the troops......have you seen the ROE this administration has in place? Thats also putting our troops in danger as well, more so because it affects them directy in the fied at this moment. Nope, not gona buy it, hold all those accountable up top before you mess with the little guy, and as staated earlier, where is the medias culpability? It was a little thing of about 100 people or so, who blew it up into the storm it is now......that's right those White House lapdogs....the media.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
First, I do not like the book burning at all. True Christians would call this off if it in any way would endanger anyone. Plus, turn the other cheek people.

Also remember this, in most muslim countries far worse things than book burnings are going on.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

1. These individuals who want to destroy America because a few people in a small church, want to burn a few books. These same people burn US FLAGS on video quite often. Our (the US) response is not to tell these people to F OFF but to cow tow to them??? REALLY ??? So they get to dictate Constitutional Law in the US now so they don't "hate" us ????

This is a lot of deflection. Patraeus is not worried about these individuals who might be upset destroying America.

Patraeus is worried about how this might effect U.S. Troops who are there by force of arms in countries many would argue they are destroying.

Since these troops are in essence 'guests' (uninvited) in Afganistan and Iraq and other places like Kuwaiit and Saudi Arabia (invited) America appearing anti-Islamic is a real concern.

Further burning the symbol of nation (the flag) is not on the same level as burning religious texts the symbol of people's faith in a God.

If this upsets you burn an Iraqi or Afghani Flag.

It's a two wrongs make a right argument anyway.

In fact respecting other people's religions is just common sense and courtesy, not cow towing.

By the way you might want to ask yourself why any predominantly Islamic Nation would want the U.S. Military in their country or the U.S. involved in their internal political affairs if the U.S. is percieved as anti-Islamic.

This leads me to point 2. Should terrorists be able to dictate what happens in the US by using fear or any other method? If we tell this little church they can't burn the books or even suggest they shouldn't, we are allowing terrorists to dictate legal actions within the US. If we do this once, we will do this again.

No we shouldn't but the people keep electing politicians who keep renewing the Patriots and FISA Acts and adore having a Nazi sounding all powerful security branch of Government called Homeland Security.

Think about that a second how the founders wanted no standing army, and the states to maintain citizen militias and we now have a Homeland Security Department that can basically trample the consitution at will using 'national security' as a justification to deny people due process, detain them indefinately, spy without warrant, search with out informing, and assissinate abroad.

The terrorists are in Washington, those are the people who would have you believe and me believe we are in imminent danger of the small minority of Muslims in this nation instilling Sharia Law on the other 95%.

Yes the 50 people who belong to a church that is based on in the pastor's own words "Anti-Islam" (hating Muslims) has a right to be a bigot to be xenophobic and to burn religious books.

Provided he can get around the real terrorists which is our government.

You see the 600,000 laws on the books that regulate every facet of our existence don't permit open outdoor burning this time of year in this particular Florida County!

As a result armed agents of the State will see that it is promptly put out and he is fined for doing so!

There is your terrorists!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
They should arrest this loony Pastor for incitement to terrorism charges.

What an absolute joke. This isn't provoking the militant Islamic fundamentalists, this is provoking the harmless muslims who do not want any trouble.

I'm just hoping some atheist comes along and burns his church down before this actually happens.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
What gets me is the media coverage, this is a small congregation of some fifty people. This is not a concentrated effort by a large group of people.

The pastor is getting a lot of coverage on all the news networks. Now we have a commanding general and the Secretary of State in the debate.

Why all the media coverage? The media is doing it's best to divide the country. Almost every story that is reported is slanted to make you choose sides.

I'm not saying the pastor is right or wrong but I am saying this should be a non story.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
They should arrest this loony Pastor for incitement to terrorism charges.

What an absolute joke. This isn't provoking the militant Islamic fundamentalists, this is provoking the harmless muslims who do not want any trouble.

I'm just hoping some atheist comes along and burns his church down before this actually happens.

Sadly if someone burned down his church regardless who it was, it would just be blamed on the Muslims even if a non-Muslim was found to be guilty of it.

Some group would run around the Internet claiming that he had been paid by some Saudi based fund to do it.

The long and short of it, is we have a 800 pound Gorilla in the room, the three children of Abraham (Jews, Christians and Muslims) all of whom want to be the only child worthy of their Father's love, and the only to gain his approval.

They all basically act like six year old children in this pursuit and they all excuse it and absolve themselves from this destructive and counter productive behavior by basically saying "But Dad said!".

One can assume safely I believe that if Dad exists, he is like any other Father who has three children beyond any semblance of control, and is off drinking himself into a stupor while spending their soccer uniform money on strippers, in a desperate bid to never have to come home and listen to them all argue and watch them all beat each other up.

So while many of the religious are planning some event to support or protest this on September 11th.

I proclaim this September 11th to be "Get Drunk and Oggle Some Strippers Day"

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I proclaim this September 11th to be "Get Drunk and Oggle Some Strippers Day"

Sounds good to me.

Chin chin

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

So, it's o.k. to burn a church, but not a book. Yup, now that's logic....burn the Christian Church, but don't burn the koran.....after al we don't need to be fair in the country, just politically correct.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by mr-lizard

So, it's o.k. to burn a church, but not a book. Yup, now that's logic....burn the Christian Church, but don't burn the koran.....after al we don't need to be fair in the country, just politically correct.

See it's all about frustration, over things one really can't control.

It really does just create an escallating cycle of people doing or considering destructive things.

Action leads to reaction. The people taking action are always looking to prompt reaction.

The only way to stop the cycle is not to react rashly, stupidly and counter productively.

What Patraeus is saying is simple: This is a stupid counter productive reaction

Now what is the Pastor reacting to? A host of speculation driven and published by Religious xenophobes that Muslims are attempting to instill Sharia Law in the United States.

This is absolutely not happening, but the Pastor is reacting to the belief that many have that have taken action and dedicated website after website to this absurd notion.

I have debated TOO MANY members on ATS who visit these highly biased websites and believe this happening.

For every action there is a reaction, smart people in the corporate world, religious world, government and military world know this.

Intelligent strategists try to ascertain what the reaction to an action is going to be, and determine whether a course of action is wise based on likely reactions.

In the case of the pastor's case he doesn't care what the reactions are going to be, but simply justifies it on some imaginary basis that this will show Muslims we don't cow tow to them.

Yet the fact remains his actions are going to prompt reactions and already have.

He will blame that on a whole lot of external forces, but in reality it will be his own fault.

If you don't stick a stick in a hornet's nest they tend not to get angry and attack you.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I just heard about the guy calling for burn a koran day and my first reaction was WTF but then i thought about it and felt like maybe this is the type of reaction the media want out of me so they can make us feel divided and cause us to take sides. Which just helpes the government divide us and conquer

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

reply to post by Logarock

Speaking of coming out to fight why not man up and join the military, since you are once again just doing what you seem to be so critical of others for.

But hey you aren't hiding behind women and children, just the Internet!

Sorry pal I did my time. I was in back when the nuts blew up the american HQ in Beirut.

Sure you did! Like I said man up if you are so gun ho.

When last I checked there was a civil war going on in Beiruit at that time, and the President quickly decided Lebanon is not actually part of the United States.

What do you expect the local people to do, send flowers?

Our forefathers did not want us running a military empire because it costs a lot of money and breeds a lot of enemies. These are other people's nations not ours!

Not really a civil war but forces supported, for political ends, by Syria and Iran trying to just take over the country. This was no home grown civil war. In fact the orders to blow up the hotel were given from Tehran and at the time Iran had a contengent of RG in country....as they still do...training what is now known as Hezbollah....run right out of Iran not Lebanon.

Syria also regularly kills leaders and others in Lebanon that forget who really runs that country. The Lebanese dont even run their own country anyway. The palce has been turned into a staging area, a hostile buffer zone against Israel by Jew hating Syria and Iran.

So really spare me the Hezbollah as Yankee Doodle Dandy. At least the Vietnamese set Russia and China strait about who was running the country after that war. Lebanon is simply a puppet proxy, a hilarious case of plausible deniability.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Petraeus: Burning Quran Endangers Troops

www.military.com

KABUL, Afghanistan -- The top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan warned Tuesday an American church's threat to burn copies of the Muslim holy book could endanger U.S. troops in the country and Americans worldwide.

"Images of the burning of a Quran would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan -- and around the world -- to inflame public opinion and incite violence," Gen. David Petraeus said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Petraeus inadvertently revealed the truth about muslims and islam. It is at heart, a violent religion followed by violent people.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Americas "double standards" just doesn't stop to amaze me

We were sold a "war" with the slogan that Islam was evil, we invaded two nations because of that after 9/11.

Now a dumb religious follower wants to burn Qurans, kind of too late now.

Then another dumb military leader warns that is dangerous, how stupid can people be that still doesn't get the way that our government has played all along with Americans feeling in order to pursue a the desires of power grab by corporate entities.

Now we most stop hating the "government created enemy" because our Military could be in danger.

Now, where is the concern about our nations military safety while invading two foreign Islamic nations when it was all nothing but a power corporate grab.

Nothing but hypocrites amid our own ruling class and shame to those that are cashing on the situation with moron religious leaders. . .

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pacific_waters

Petraeus inadvertently revealed the truth about muslims and islam. It is at heart, a violent religion followed by violent people.

This would be the general that is part of an Army that has used violence to insert itself into a Foreign Nation where it has killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians?

I don't think you can handle the real truth my friend:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Right, so 30% of the world's population are foaming fanatics screaming "KILL AMERICANS". Ooookay

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Not really a civil war but forces supported, for political ends, by Syria and Iran trying to just take over the country. This was no home grown civil war. In fact the orders to blow up the hotel were given from Tehran and at the time Iran had a contengent of RG in country....as they still do...training what is now known as Hezbollah....run right out of Iran not Lebanon.

You conveniently left out Israel's involvement in the Lebanese Civil War and them aiding a Christian Militia that it helped enter a Palestinian Refugee Camp and masacre thousands of people.

I wonder why you would do that? Do you just not know history or are you purposefully trying to rewrite it to support a biased political agenda?

In fact it was a classic civil war, where a complex power sharing arrangement in the Government between several factions including Christians, Druze, Sunni and Shia Muslims had broken down.

Having worked for an Armenian Christian Man from Beiruit during a few years of the Civil War and following the political conversations of his many expatriate friends, many of whom still owned property and businesses in Beiruit and Lebanon at the time, I can tell you yes it was a civil war.

Like our own Civil War where England gave aide to the Southern United States it's not uncommon for political factions in a civil war to seek outside funding and arms to wage a civil war.

Israel took a piece of Lebanon in support of the Christians, and Syria took a piece of Lebanon in support of the Druze, with Hizbollah funded by Iran trying to maintain an independent slice for the Shia.

One of my clients later in the civil war in Lebanon was President Gameyels mother who was living in Los Angeles. He was the Christian President of Lebanon and she sure seemed to think it was a civil war too.

He was later assissinated by the way.

Care to explain why you purposefully left Israel out of the equation?

Doesn't fit your whole agenda and rewriting of history for it does it?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I find this astonishing that even Petreus is giving comment about this and his doubts. I don't think it is good but how many times did our flags got burned, the bible.[did we made threads about that?] And when the Quran is burned WW3 could break out.
The point is, it seems as if muslims have a patent on feeling insulted, as if they only have that right, maybe we in the West with more freedoms [freedom of expression and thus insulting] have got a thicker skin.
I also think it is a stupid remark by the general, our troops should be safe , be confident, and that we can stand up against those orcs, don't feel threatend....moron...

[edit on 8-9-2010 by Foppezao]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

You conveniently left out Israel's involvement in the Lebanese Civil War and them aiding a Christian Militia that it helped enter a Palestinian Refugee Camp and masacre thousands of people.

I wonder why you would do that? Do you just not know history or are you purposefully trying to rewrite it to support a biased political agenda?

No more than you my friend. But I left them out so we could have a clear look at your position. Anyone that knows anything understands the real position of christain groups over the history of the area. In fact you should love the christan milita responce as it makes your point in some areas. Years of bad treatment and second class citizenship explodes one nite.

We could look at the forced moving of Bekka Valley folks by Iran/Syrian backed milita so they could take over and control the poppy fields if you would like. Many that didnt move were killed after a certain date by roving patrols of radical milita. This is well documented.

Anyway it was hardly a civil war.

But really the burning of the koran sould really be a joke to these hardend muslim rad killers.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join