It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NY Mosque Controversy. Summed Up In One Picture.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by saabacura
I can careless if mosque is built or not. But because more than 70 percent of Americans don't want it there, Then build that mosque somewhere else

It's a local issue, not a national issue.

Do you want the whole country deciding what YOUR city can do with its building permits?

Oh, and 70% vs the First Amendment right to freely exercise one's religion...sorry, the Constitution trumps the tyranny of the majority.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Say, one of the followers every now and then gets caught having sacrificed some person, and the main church denounces the perp as an extremist, who doesn't represent the church.

Every murderder who happened to be a member of a church, mosque, temple, shrine, or coven would fall into this category.

It's just not customary or acceptable to blame an entire group for the actions of individuals.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

That and it's an election year. If this was happening last year conversations may be different. Only through this thread did I learn about the other mosque and to some degree saw the logic about insensitivity towards 9/11 victims. However, anyone opposed to this mosque must now call for the removal of the other one. How can their be a controversy? There isn't.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ
I think the right to protest the building of these mosques is more important than the right of religious freedom.

Sorry, what you think doesn't matter, since the Constitution is the final arbiter of such things.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Those rights are equal...but if you want to be picky, the free exercise clause comes BEFORE the right to peacefully assemble, so it's more important.

The Constitution is not nullified by someone's opinion.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

The difference being that Islam is the only religion that tolerates the murder of others for disagreeing with their religious beliefs.

We have numerous Islamic religious leaders preaching about jihad, and conquering host nations to Islamic immigrants, who push the idea that they should conquer us, and make us their slaves.

Somehow we are wrong for protesting this?

It is one thing to tolerate how another worships god, but another thing to tolerate people who plan to attack and kill those outside of their group.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

No body is calling for a law against building a Mosque, so there is no violation of the first amendment.

What do you do when one religion believes it is the will of God for them to destroy other religions?

We have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean that you can tell someone that unless they give in to your demands you will kill them and or their loved ones.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

But if you are protesting the Islamic Centre, why haven't you been protesting about the other mosque situated near the construction site?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Look, in the end, if you're outraged, it's because you are a media puppet. They've been pushing this whole mosque thing for weeks now because it's election season...if it weren't, you probably wouldn't even know about that mosque.

And of course you have the right to protest...but it doesn't override the right to build the mosque. Religious freedom is guaranteed in the constitution, and by being against this mosque, you are essentially spitting on the constitution and throwing the core values of this country overboard.

People like that aren't patriots, they're bigots disguising as patriots!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

You do realize that the Imam of this planned mosque has been working with the FBI for years, right? Yet the right wing media continues to portray him as a "radical". They are using you like a puppet and you are willing to dance whenever they tell you to "dance".

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Don't worry, it's coming.

The idea that we must tolerate those who do not tolerate us doesn't hold water.

Building this mosque is pouring gasoline on a fire.

The more people learn about Islam the less the like it.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I understand that it's election year and with the help of Fox, Beck and other pundits, the Islamic Centre has become a political tool to leverage support. However, only just realising that there is another mosque situated nearby, I am wondering what justification people have to protest one and not the other.

Have people really become that controlled by the media? A lot of people on ATS speak out against the Islamic Centre, so should they now call for the removal of the mosque already in place?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

But that mosque has been there some time and no one protested against it.

Why would you protest now when so much time has elapsed?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Supposedly this Imam is a good guy, but why is he building a mosque, that so many oppose, and only increases the hatred?

Any reasonable person would back off, and find another site.

If there is already a Mosque in the area, why must they build another?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by poet1b

But that mosque has been there some time and no one protested against it.

Why would you protest now when so much time has elapsed?

Because people completely stopped at examining facts or looking at things objectively. They no longer form their own opinions, they let others (MSM) spoon feed them the opinions through those ridiculous "opinion commentary" shows. And now those opinion shows get intermixed with regular news shows so a lot of people don't even see the difference anymore.

News in the US has gone downhill fast after 9/11!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/662bdcc23a13.jpg[/atsimg]

link   
reply to post by LarryLove

The only thing I am protesting is the hypocrisy of those who claim people have no right to oppose the new Mosque.

Why do you support the spread if Islam?

link   
reply to post by poet1b

In fact isn't it fair to say that the Islamic Centre was not a controversy until it was hijacked by Geller and Spencer for their own right-wing agenda?

Again, saying that there's already a mosque, why build another one isn't a solid argument. The Islamic Centre is a different construction altogether.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

But when Geller and Spencer are boxed into a corner, that is the very same argument they use. Stop the spread of Islam.

I am sorry, there was already a mosque in place long before plans for the new Islamic Centre and it didn't bother anyone. This is a protest about nothing.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

Supposedly this Imam is a good guy, but why is he building a mosque, that so many oppose, and only increases the hatred?

Any reasonable person would back off, and find another site.

If there is already a Mosque in the area, why must they build another?

The existing mosque only fits like 20% of mosque visitors, they NEED a bigger place because many Muslims work in the area.

And where exactly do you think they should "back off" to? There's anti-mosque protests all over the country.

And the people opposing the mosque form their opinion on false logic, so there's no need for anyone to respect that unless they harmed those people. And those muslims haven't harmed anyone...hell, the main visitors to that mosque are people who have worked around there for years. Some even during the 9/11 attacks. What gives you the right to say Christians are allowed to worship their god at one of the numerous churches, but Muslims can't!!

You spit on the constitution, freedom, and liberties!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I have hated FAUX news for a long time, and I rarely watch network news.

It is really funny, when I am arguing against the right wing they call me a brainless tool of the left, and when I argue against the left, they call me a brainless tool of the right.

Maybe you ought to consider that you are every bit as programmed as those on the right.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

I have hated FAUX news for a long time, and I rarely watch network news.

It is really funny, when I am arguing against the right wing they call me a brainless tool of the left, and when I argue against the left, they call me a brainless tool of the right.

Maybe you ought to consider that you are every bit as programmed as those on the right.

But don't you realize you're defending the ignorance of the people who are against this mosque? Of course they have the right to protest, no one's arguing against that...but it doesn't change the fact that they're opinions are based on ignorance and pure stupidity.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join