It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did I join the Masons & What did I learn?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I believe that JFK wasn´t talking about you guys here. (or some secret golf club)
He was talking about conflict of interests, and Masons that are secretive and are in charge of most important positions in the country.

Btw, Masons had plenty of time and oportunity to point finger at unjustice with usury and "making money from nothing", to help people. And they never did that.

So, your stories here are for small children.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nlouise

Yes ONLY 3 degrees in Freemasonry. It is written into our obligations and lectures. There is no "higher" honor than wearing your white, leather apron as a Master Mason. Everything after that is just fluff. As a matter of fact. The very first line of your link:

Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry

Scottish Rite is an appendent body of Freemasonry, but it is not Freemasonry.

Nothing wrong with Scottish Rite, or Yorkish Rite, or Shriners (I am one). We have other "degrees" as well. I have participated in a "Hillbilly Degree" and a "Chitlin Degree." That does not make me a Hillibilly Degree Mason, or a 35 degree Mason, just because I may have gone through 35 different degrees.

Hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

"I have participated in a "Hillbilly Degree" and a "Chitlin Degree.""

I am not a Mason, but I do enjoy reading these threads.Over time I have come to have alot of respect for a good number of our vocal masonic members here on ATS. That said, I am wondering if that statement was a joke or is there really such degrees as those, and if so while not breaking any oathes can you elaborate a bit? my curiousity has gotten the better of me here.

Thanks in advance,

~meathead

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by under_topsecret

I believe that JFK wasn´t talking about you guys here. (or some secret golf club)
He was talking about conflict of interests, and Masons that are secretive and are in charge of most important positions in the country.

Most positions of power or important positions REQUIRE secrecy!

In my current Revenue job, I am bound by stacks of State and Federal laws about what I can and cannot disclose. I can be fined up to $5000 and get 5 years in prison for using a wrong word! If I say "intercept" instead of "collection" I can lose my job and worse!

So, wouldn't it make perfect sense that people of high moral character and integrity would make great candidates for these important positions that you speak of?

Doesn't it make sense that a group of men bound by a high moral code well-versed in history, politics, and under obligation to live and act as an upright and just man and mason, using charity and brotherly love as their motivation should be in important positions in the community? If not Masons, then who would you suggest could do it better?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

LOL! No joke! Those are real degrees, although they are "fun" degrees mostly just for camaraderie mixed in with a little local history and lore.

The Chitlin Degree is where I met 4 of our state's past Grand Masters! I sat at the table with all 4 of them totally by accident, but it was a very nice experience.

The Hillbilly Degree has a corresponding Hillbilly Unit that does parades and fundraisers and goes to see children in the hospitals, kind of like what Shriners do. They are just a fun bunch with the idea to act silly and cheer up some kids.

There are probably hundreds of others, I have heard some very silly stories from years past. The old-timers had a lot more fun than we do now. Political Correctness and Hazing laws have put a damper on some of the old festivities.

Thanks for asking, I'm glad I piqued your curiosity, lol!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by seridium
I love these battles, darkness and light!! but which is light and which is darkness is the question? I know a few masons they are cool guys and i always have a laugh with them.
but then you see stuff like this

THEY JUST THINK WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?

Seridium i just think its bad lodges,im not either one way or the other.
I do think some lodges are doing Primal Evil rites and giving most you good guys a bad name. [evil defined by who i hear you ask?,who knows]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by NeutralGuard

Masons don't have to prove their innocence. I'm pretty sure that the burden of proof is on the accuser. Also, where do you see Masons "laughing at the poor common man"?

You may have skipped page one, check it again, maybe you'll get a chuckle too.

Do Masons have to "prove" their innocence? Well, perhaps they don't have to do anything at all.

Do they have a continuing PR problem? I think so, and a few replies in this thread should show some of that.

Maybe Masonry can address the PR problem better, I don't know. But denying that there is one at all, especially after movies like "JFK", makes little sense.

On a positive note, I see that one of the Mason posters here said he was going to start a thread that dealt specifically with the JFK speech, and it looks like he put his money where his mouth is.

I haven't had a chance to check it yet, but I would say that there is a mason who is OK facing the issue, and sharing another perspective. Doing that is far more productive than just shutting the ignorant down. How can they ever get past that, if masons don't step up to the plate, and look them in the eye?

So, I don't necessarily disagree with you, I don't think a particular Mason needs to "prove" anything.

But does Masonry have a PR problem, as a whole? Yes, after almost five decades post-JFK, still a problem.

JR

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I guess they dont belong in conspiracies,they must of said that degree makes them sound to good and nice so leave that one out Sounds like good stuff to me,if only everybody would do it!
Keep up the good work

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

After reading through alot of the "secret societies" threads -which at this point in my opinion should be renamed " Masonic Conspiracies" as thats what 90% of the content is- I have noticed a strong camaraderie (sp) and playful atmosphere between the masonic members here. That is why I considered the possibilty that you were joking.

Thank you for your quick response to my question. The Hillbilly degree I think I already earned without being a mason

Respectfully,

~meathead

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

But does Masonry have a PR problem, as a whole? Yes, after almost five decades post-JFK, still a problem.

I think you are somewhat wrong on that point. We don't have a PR problem as in a negative image. I have never met anyone in real life that had a problem with Masons. It is only on these Conspiracy sites that you see stuff like this. In real life, people respect Masons.

Now, we could still benefit from a PR campaign, because we do suffer from a "visibility" issue. Masons used to be out in front leading the community and standing up for what they believe. We have even launched politicians as "Masonic Candidates." Masons have been known for years as the pillars of the communities, but for the past couple of decades we have gotten lazy and been forgotten.

It would be nice to see a big push from the Masonic entities to get visibility out there and show what we do for the communities.

For those that don't know. The Masonic Medical Research Laboratory is responsible for many cutting edge breakthroughs in Heart treatment, especially Heart Chemistry.

www.mmrl.edu...

For its size, there are few laboratories worldwide whose cutting edge research is as productive and influential in the field of experimental cardiology. Today, the MMRL is rapidly becoming an international center for genetic screening of cardiac diseases, especially those involving cardiac arrhythmias. The MMRL is the leading center for the study of the genetic basis for Brugada syndrome and is leading the way in the development novel treatments for this syndrome. The MMRL is also blazing new trails in the development of innovative and effective pharmacologic treatment for Atrial Fibrillation, one of the greatest unmet medical needs in our society today.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth
For example, I think the famous speech JFK gave back in 1963, before the National Press Club, 6 months before he was assassinated, needs to be confronted, head-on by Masonry today.
I've covered this speech in dozens of other threads before. Your first point of ignorance though is that he actually gave it April 27, 1961, two and a half years before he was assassinated... not six months.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I wanted to join the masons, still do, it seems to be a good organization, they do have charitable functions (ie the Shriner's Hosptials), but I am a convicted felon, have have been told over and over no I cant.
I know they want people of GOOD moral character, but what about us that have made mistakes in life and want to better themselves? Shouldnt we be included?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
I wanted to join the masons, still do, it seems to be a good organization, they do have charitable functions (ie the Shriner's Hosptials), but I am a convicted felon, have have been told over and over no I cant.
I know they want people of GOOD moral character, but what about us that have made mistakes in life and want to better themselves? Shouldnt we be included?

It is not impossible for you, but it will require a lot more effort on your part. We do a criminal background check, and it is pretty thorough. Absent any personal knowledge of your character, a conviction would certainly rule you out.

On the other hand, our door is always open at mealtime. If you stop by a few times, get to know the members, and share a meal. If they believe that you are a good man that made some mistakes, but that you honestly want to improve and give something back to the community, then you may work your way in. It will take several brothers standing up in lodge and vouching for you when they read your petition. They will read that you have a conviction, and a single black ball means you don't get in on that vote. The brothers will have to be convincing to get a unanimous vote on a convicted felon. It might take several attempts.

From my experience, I would not vote for you. No offense, but we did overlook one transfer member's past, and within a few months he had assaulted somebody and had to be kicked out! There was another member with some juvenile trouble, but he was such a sweet kid and we really wanted to help him. His mother even came and talked to some members on his behalf. No convictions or criminal record. Just before his MM degree he wound up committing suicide over some family drama and a girlfriend that left him. It was heartbreaking to us all, and we really wanted to help him, but there was just too much trouble in his past that we were not fully aware of.

It is rare that somebody can "really" change. Not impossible, but rare, so your road will be tough. If you are sincere about it, then don't give up!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
No offense taken, I know noone trusts a felon....
Thats how life is...and ya wonder why recidivism is so high

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
No offense taken, I know noone trusts a felon....
Thats how life is...and ya wonder why recidivism is so high

Its just a tougher road. If I met you a few times, and if I was impressed by your tenacity and consistency, then I would eventually vote for you. It just takes more effort and commitment. Good luck to you!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Would people not feel very un welcome being told they were not wanted in the order? People might feel you guys dont want them full stop or are you told you might be considered again?
thanks for your time

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny c

Would people not feel very un welcome being told they were not wanted in the order? People might feel you guys dont want them full stop or are you told you might be considered again?
thanks for your time

There are a couple of different philosophies on that, and it isn't confined to Masons, it goes for just about all fraternities and organizations.

One side looks at it as a way to see who is serious and who is just curious. Some like to blackball everybody at least once, just to see if they reapply. If the interested party has good contacts in the organization, they will be instructed to not take it personally, and keep trying, and everything will work out. I don't know if I like that approach, but I don't entirely disagree with it.

The other side says that we should not play childish mind games, and that the fraternity needs good members and it is not worth possibly losing a good applicant just to test their resolve. I see that point, and I am probably a little more on this side.

There is a problem with losing the "value" of membership. If it becomes too easy, and if there is no sacrifice involved, and if every lookilou that wants to take a shot at it gets in right away, then we have devalued ourselves. It is a fine line, and every organization from employers to youth sports deals with how to involve as many people as possible, while still maintaining the highest caliber recruits.

Good question, but I don't think there is an easy answer.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by johnny c

First and foremost that video is non sense have you heard of the word esotericism, I think you need to understand this before listening to some religious guy spewing non sense.

Esotericism

Esotericism or Esoterism is a term with two basic meanings. In the dictionary sense of the term, "esoterism" signifies the holding of esoteric opinions or beliefs,[1] and derives from the Greek ἐσωτερικός (esôterikos), a compound of ἔσω (esô): "within", thus "pertaining to the more inward", mystic. Its antonym is "exoteric". In scholarly literature, the term designates a series of historically related religious currents including Gnosticism, Hermetism, magic, astrology, Kabbalah, alchemy, Rosicrucianism, Vajrayana Buddhism, the Christian Theosophy of Jacob Böhme and his followers, Illuminism, Mesmerism, Swedenborgianism, Spiritualism, and the theosophical currents associated with Helena Blavatsky and her followers. There are competing views regarding the common traits uniting these currents, not all of which involve "inwardness", mystery or secrecy as a crucial trait.

This guy should be saying that the hindu are nazis since they created the swaztiki in their symbolism or that the USA is run by devil worshippers lol such non sense before you searching youtube for retards talking about their opinions find the truth for yourself with books it all starts there till then keep the nonsense for yourself.

Secret symbols & and there cosmic powers

Like the ones on the US dollar bill for example are part of the cosmic
language by which spiritual being s make themselves understood to one
another.The communication between spiritual beings, no matter of what ever
hierarchy, is effected intellectually by means of the so-called metaphorical
langauge. The thoughts are transferred by symbolic images acoustically,
telepathically and by emotion -- from being to being.The langauge or the
spiritual beings, being imperfect, therfore is only a partial aspect of the
cosmic language. It is magically speaking, not so eeffective since the
beings do not make use of quadripolarity when making themselves understood.
The cosmic language is the most perfect language that exists, for it is
analogous to the laws, that is. it expresses the universal laws in their
cause and effect. The cosmic language is therefore the great fiat "it shall
be"

[edit on 113131p://upFriday by seridium]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me a very good answer,i understand its not a easy one when you are in the pursuit of good men,its very understandable and you make a very good point about employers doing the same,many a time i have made requests for work and handed in C.Vs and only after the second or third atempt trying to get the job you would be lucky and get it.
I also agree with both ways of the ways you described for membership and understand the caution and that it is not for everyone.I would find it hard to decide what system my lodge would have because i could not pick very easily, would it be better to lose a good man over the danger of bringing somebody in that could jeopardize all the good work done by all others .I would have to say lose a man over the work of many.
I tought you made another good point being that masonry has very good members of the community,so it is well understandable that more leaders are born from the order.
I went on line before to look at different masonic groups with a veiw to joining and got lost
they are all under one Grandlodge in Dublin Ireland
and their is a lot of seperate groups that meet on different nights of the month,i think it relates to the moons place and time of the month,
Also they go by different warrants[numbers i think]
But i never knew which was which,
Are all these the same sort of groups?
Thanks very much for your help and great informed answer

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

I am not a Mason, I can't be; I am a woman. My Father was a Mason, my Grandfather was a Mason, 33rd Degree, btw. I was raised by Masons. Nearly every adult male in my childhood was a member of the local Masonic Lodge. I was raised in an extremely loving, supportive, Christian environment. The adult men in my life served their community, helped the underpriviledged, offered their services at little or no charge and were ALL very active in their respective churches. They were each wonderful, loving, caring, Christian men. When my Father passed in 1999, I was responsible for planning his funeral. He had requested a Masonic funeral. I contacted the Lodge where my Father was a member. I received not only a great deal of assistance in planning my Father's funeral, I also received an amazing amount of emotional support. To this day, 11 years after my Father's death, I receive a call from my Father's Lodge at least twice a year. The calls are simple: "How are you doing; Is there anything we can do for you; We are here if you need anything;" etc. You get the idea. It angers me to no end when I hear people make senseless comments about the Masons. A lot of you who choose to spout negative comments regtarding the Masons need to do your homework before you speak. You are not giving the Masons a bad name by what you say; you are giving yourselves a bad name and showing your ignorance of the subject. Please, stop spouting ignorance and start learning.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join