Why did I join the Masons & What did I learn?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

They may be 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Masons, and they be "Grand Masons" but the two titles are for different things. A 3rd Degree Mason can become a Grand Master, and 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason may not be anything more than an average Joe in the lodge. The two things are not directly connected.

As for Masonic "Charges" you are correct. We use the term "charge" in a variety of aspects. One being a statement/command/wish as in "we charge you to be responsible for the refreshments." However, a common usage is the term "Masonic Charge" as in some brother did something that was grossly against what the fraternity stands for, such as committing a felony, or slandering another brother. In that case a brother or a lodge can bring "charges" against the offending Mason, and there is a hearing process similar to civil or criminal law, and penalties up to and including being removed from affiliation with the fraternity can result.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by humbleseeker

There are more degrees in masonry I think there are hundreds of degrees out there that have been created in different bodies of masonry throughout the world, many are not used anymore.

There are appendant bodies which only accept 32nd degree Scottish Rite Freemasons, and coincidentally are better respected in the "community" than the Scottish Rite itself.

But there are only 3 degrees that every Freemason must take to become a full member of the fraternity, any degree taken after the third does not make a man a more senior mason. They are just additional degrees that are used to elaborate on the first 3.

There's an implied superiority insofar as the jewels, etc which are worn after receiving the degrees. There's also an implied superiority in terms of fund-raising potential.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I dont know? In a blue lodge the officers recieve jewls and have rank. When I look at rank I think the three primary officers.

I am joining the Scottish Rite in November maybe I will find out more than.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

They may be 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Masons, and they be "Grand Masons" but the two titles are for different things. A 3rd Degree Mason can become a Grand Master, and 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason may not be anything more than an average Joe in the lodge. The two things are not directly connected.

I never said anything remotely connected to what you're implying. The phrase "Sovereign Grand Inspector General" is the official name of the 33rd degree. If that sounds too embarrassingly grandiose for you, then maybe you can petition to change it. In the meantime, you're sitting in a lodge with people who have no problem with it, so you're only keeping that monkey on your back.

As for Masonic "Charges" you are correct. We use the term "charge" in a variety of aspects. One being a statement/command/wish as in "we charge you to be responsible for the refreshments." However, a common usage is the term "Masonic Charge" as in some brother did something that was grossly against what the fraternity stands for, such as committing a felony, or slandering another brother. In that case a brother or a lodge can bring "charges" against the offending Mason, and there is a hearing process similar to civil or criminal law, and penalties up to and including being removed from affiliation with the fraternity can result.

So, then, the word "charge" is either ambiguous or not how you're describing it.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by vcwxvwligen
I thought that "Masonic Charges" were simply summary statements of meetings
No, those are minutes. They're never referred to as charges.

So, then, the word "charge" is either ambiguous or not how you're describing it.

Well yes, the word charge IS ambiguous. There are almost 40 different meanings of the word in the Oxford English Dictionary. The ones that getreadyalready referred to are correct as he described them.

A task or duty laid upon one; commission, trust, responsibility; an office entrusted to one.
It is this kind of charge that is at the conclusion of each degree. For instance, part of the Entered Apprentice's charge is as follows

There are three great duties which, as a Mason, you are charged to inculcate—to God, your neighbor, and yourself. To God, in never mentioning His name, but with that reverential awe, which is due from a creature to his Creator; to implore His aid in all your laudable undertakings, and to esteem Him as the chief good. To your neighbor, in acting upon the square, doing unto him as you wish he should do unto you; and to yourself, in avoiding all irregularity and intemperance, which may impair your faculties, or debase the dignity of your profession. A zealous attachment to these duties will insure public and private esteem.

But someone being brought up "on Masonic charges", is someone who has committed an offense which might warrant Masonic disciplinary proceedings. This matches another OED definition, namely

Attribution or imputation of something culpable; accusation.

(to further complicate matters, at Table Lodges, you're given a shotglass which is referred to as a charge, and the dialog about toasting particular drinks is done with a "ready, aim, fire" type of vocabulary.)

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

There are appendant bodies which only accept 32nd degree Scottish Rite Freemasons, and coincidentally are better respected in the "community" than the Scottish Rite itself.

Which ones are those? I know they exist, but I'm wondering what you think they are.

There's an implied superiority insofar as the jewels, etc which are worn after receiving the degrees. There's also an implied superiority in terms of fund-raising potential.

Actually there is no implied superiority. A 33rd that comes to Lodge is given no more respect than any other member nor is he given any special greetings during introductions. I'm a Past Master and in Craft Masonry I receive more honors than most Scottish Rite Masons.

I also preside over the Royal Arch Chapter, but I only receive honor for that in the Royal Arch. The same goes for any appendant body. They only receive honors in their respective body with exception of the Annual Grand Lodge meeting and sometimes at installations. Even then they are just introduced and thats it.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

I thought that "Masonic Charges" were simply summary statements of meetings
No, those are minutes. They're never referred to as charges.

So, then, all Freemasons are "charged" with emualting the Freemasons who came before them.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason

Which ones are those? I know they exist, but I'm wondering what you think they are.

Are you challenging me to a pissing contest?

Actually there is no implied superiority. A 33rd that comes to Lodge is given no more respect than any other member nor is he given any special greetings during introductions.

I never said that 33rd Masons are given special treatment during lodge meetings or whatever.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by vcwxvwligen]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

Well that's what Stoned Monk thought too. That CHIP was a sinister Masonic program to implant GPS chips into children. lol Please. CHIP is a child identification program that is free for parents and no GPS "chip" is implanted into the kiddies. I was once a volunteer for Child Find and the CHIP program is much more comprehensive than that.

Watch the You Tube video that Stoned Monk did to "investigate" Masons' CHIP program in Toronto, CANADA.

Here is the link: www.youtube.com...

I find the video quite amusing, but even Stoned Monk admits he was wrong about the Masons here.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Methos777

The Freemasons are assuming authority over the ability to identify children, and they are working with sensitive technology such as DNA analysis, which is stepping over boundaries.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Man I am sorry but I think you play to much "Assasions Creed"
Yes all the Masons and so called "high level masons" are controlling the world. They may have a job opening for you at "chic publishing"

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Real Masons cut and work the stone of humanity / culture. Their great work is the transmutation of the current raw material that is man into a reasoned edifice.

All major religions were created from a think tank thousands of years ago, in order to create vessels that humanity may pour itself into.

You can mount a wild stallion, but you must break it if you want to remain its master.

That is what is happening to us. Masons aren't even masons these days. The real masons don't sanctify yahbulon, the profane masses do. Jah, Yahweh, Allah, whatever, the personal experience for each individual differs but the boundaries are very real and sometimes very fatal.

War as Alchemy.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by humbleseeker

That counts as a "personal attack."

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
The real masons don't sanctify yahbulon, the profane masses do. Jah, Yahweh, Allah, whatever, the personal experience for each individual differs but the boundaries are very real and sometimes very fatal.

Jahbulon isn't a god that Freemasons worship. It's the lost word of a Master Mason, which is the names of three different gods sandwiched together. Coincidentally, they refer to it as an "ineffable name" which is how Jews refer to the name YHWH.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Because they are one and the same.

I meant to say in my opinion.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by depth om]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I am NOT a Mason.
I only have one question.
If Freemasonry is soo full of charity and good people doing good things then WHY ALL THE SECRECY?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WENEEDAREVOLUTION

Its been said a thousand times on a thousand threads.

THERE IS VERY, VERY LITTLE SECRECY!!

The secrecy is over-exaggerated. Ask me anything, I can probably tell you. Any fraternity at your local university has 100's of more secrets than we do.

There are a couple of secret words and signs to recognize one another. There are some initiation things that we go through that would not make any sense unless you had experienced it and understood it. But they aren't really secrets.

Our most protected secrets are in print in your local bookstores, they are all over the internet, and they are right here on ATS. They are the worst kept secrets ever! I won't be disclosing them, but with 10 minutes of searching you can find out anything you want to know.

Go ahead, ask us Mason's anything. Most likely you will get a very thorough answer with zero evasion. If we simply "can't" answer, we will say so, and we will say why.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Jahbulon isn't a god that Freemasons worship. It's the lost word of a Master Mason, which is the names of three different gods sandwiched together.

Just for the record, "Jahbulon" is not the Lost Word, nor is it the name of three different gods.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by frozenspark

What I want to know is your opinion or knowledge about Templars and that they long ago "infiltrated" Scottish rite, and at the very top subverted the organization to Satanism.

1. The Scottish Rite was founded in 1801 by 11 York Rite Masons in Charleston, South Carolina, USA. The Templars had nothing to do with it.

2. The Templars were Christians, not "Satanists".

I don't know how accurate this is

Not very.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WENEEDAREVOLUTION
I am NOT a Mason.
I only have one question.
If Freemasonry is soo full of charity and good people doing good things then WHY ALL THE SECRECY?

If you think it's all the secret, why would there be so many Masons here answering people's questions?

In reality, there's no real secrecy at all. That part is played up by anti-Masons, not Masons.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join