It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the police haters

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Next time a cop asks you "Do you know why I stopped you?" Just tell him, "I thought maybe you smelled coffee and donuts in the car."

Cheers - Dave

Always wanted to say that, but these days that'll just get you tazed. I have a hard enough time with unwanted static shocks, I am afraid I'll be one of the dead ones if ever tazed.

About cops and donuts ...

I always thought maybe it was just a coincidence that you often see cop cars parked at donut shops.

But then I got a job that has police security in the building. Damned if it isn't true that whenever someone brings donuts to work that the cops don't show up in minutes. Two theories on that. They have a donut sense of smell, or they are scanning TV monitors in hopes of spotting someone carrying the tell-tale boxes. At least they are keeping their investigating skills honed to a razor sharp point doing something.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
reply to post by eNumbra

Do you think crimes will end if there are no cops?

Do you think crimes will end if there were more cops?

You've already implied in your campus rapist story that more cops = safety; is this what you actually believe?

Police getting one criminal off the streets (whether he has any intention or not of recommission) does not keep you safe, the only way to be "safe" is to be prepared to defend yourself.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

I feel the same way about you understanding what I'm saying. Its safer now that they caught him. Crimes happen police catch the criminals so THAT criminal wont do it again and they keep doing that. Do you think crimes will end if there are no cops?

Ah, so now you are forced to admit that the stats I posted showing that cops are failing to catch criminals most of the time ARE relevant.

Do you not understand that if the cops don't catch the criminals, the criminals can and will do more crimes?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

No. I'm not saying that at all I'm saying crime rates will be lower because there will be fewer criminals on the streets as well, if there no cops who's going to arrest you punish you, no one. So the threat of getting caught is removed. So logically its safer to commit a crime.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

reply to post by eNumbra

They arrested him so yeah they did. They also beefed up on campus security which did end up catching him. Can you read? Aas I said you can't arrest someone until they commit a crime. Since you police haters bug out when a potential rapist gets arrested. You can't stop crime 100% you can only try and save potential victims.

And you just don't get it.

they put their butts on the line to keep your neighborhood safe.

How was the campus safe when a rapist was running around raping people? How is it safer now? When the police can't do anything (as you readily admit) until after a crime is committed.

Police don't keep anyone safe. "Safe" is an illusion.

You even say potential victims; a potential victim is not a victim, just as a potential criminal is not a criminal.

So how do you catch a criminal after the fact without cops? Lets just say im not so quick to get to that 9mm beretta i like to carry and i get beat up, wallet and gun stolen and left for dead so to speak. Then what? Do i just pick myself and say "Well, guess the martial arts that Ive been practicing for years not didnt pay off. Guess that gun I carry didnt do the trick either. Hopefully the nice robber will be kind enough to at least mail me my wallet after he takes all my money and credit cards."

I agree with you in that the first step in stopping criminal activity is having the ability to protect yourself and being mindful of where you are at. But sometimes stuff just happens. After that dude rapped a couple of chicks what would happen if there were no cops? He could have just gone on rapping chicks until one of them caught him with something and took care of the sleezebag. The idea of having the cops in this situation is to lessen the amount of crimes this guy commits and catch him before he hurts somebody else. How can you not see that?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

No. I'm not saying that at all I'm saying crime rates will be lower because there will be fewer criminals on the streets as well, if there no cops who's going to arrest you punish you, no one. So the threat of getting caught is removed. So logically its safer to commit a crime.

My (newly relevant) stats show that already it is relatively "safe" for criminals to commit crimes.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

So the threat of getting caught is removed. So logically its safer to commit a crime.

If citizens practiced their rights to defend themselves and didn't sit and wait for the police to come rescue them criminals would have less incentive to commit crimes.

Besides, we already have the threat of getting caught, how many crimes does that really prevent? How many murders are really prevented because the murderer may get caught?

Anyone angry or selfish enough to commit crimes aren't being deterred by the thoughts of getting caught.

Originally posted by dizzie56

So how do you catch a criminal after the fact without cops? Lets just say im not so quick to get to that 9mm beretta i like to carry and i get beat up, wallet and gun stolen and left for dead so to speak. Then what? Do i just pick myself and say "Well, guess the martial arts that Ive been practicing for years not didnt pay off. Guess that gun I carry didnt do the trick either. Hopefully the nice robber will be kind enough to at least mail me my wallet after he takes all my money and credit cards."

I agree with you in that the first step in stopping criminal activity is having the ability to protect yourself and being mindful of where you are at. But sometimes stuff just happens. After that dude rapped a couple of chicks what would happen if there were no cops? He could have just gone on rapping chicks until one of them caught him with something and took care of the sleezebag. The idea of having the cops in this situation is to lessen the amount of crimes this guy commits and catch him before he hurts somebody else. How can you not see that?

I haven't once implied that there should be no police. Only that relying on them, or thinking that they keep you safe is at the very very least, foolish thinking.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Your stats show that there are more arrests for lesser crimes. That means petty crimes are committed more frequently. In my town i live in the average murder rate is 8 a year. 8, that's 8 major crimes, bank robbery major crime. Petty theft, stealing cars minor drug trafficking, possession, abuse, breaking an entering drunk driving and small crimes like that happen EVERY DAY. Now then That's why the arrest rate is higher in minor crimes. Not because they don't do their jobs because the crime is more frequent.

I'd also like to add bank robbers and hostage takers big crime but high death rate. You can't arrest the dead.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Xiamara]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I have always been of the mind that cops dont really need guns..just give them a notebook, pen and chalk and they will just as effectively perform their jobs

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Your stats show that there are more arrests for lesser crimes. That means petty crimes are committed more frequently. In my town i live in the average murder rate is 8 a year. 8, that's 8 major crimes, bank robbery major crime. Petty theft, stealing cars minor drug trafficking, possession, abuse, breaking an entering drunk driving and small crimes like that happen EVERY DAY. Now then That's why the arrest rate is higher in minor crimes. Not because they don't do their jobs because the crime is more frequent.

Truth. Comparing the amount of violent crimes to the amount of petty crimes is rediculous. In the Tampa Bay area here we have had damn near a murder everyday. Now just think about that. If, like so many people here have said that there should be no cops, what would happen? Does anybody really believe that these people would end up getting caught? How does the victim of a murder catch the murderer? Things do happen when you cant protect yourself. Maybe you are a lil tipsy that night and have a slower reaction time. Guy shoots and kills you over your wallet after you willingly give it to him. Now, how do you get the guy as you are lying there dead?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

Exactly, thank the Goddess that there is one logical person in this thread.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

Look at it again.

You only have to read down to Figure 1 to see that between 1975 and 2001 arrests for violent crimes occur at the rate of about 200 per 100,000 population while number of reported violent crimes fluctuates between 400 and 600 per 100,000 population.

At best a 50% arrest rate and at worst only a 33% arrest rate for violent crimes.

Time to tell your really nice cop friends to go out and actually take care of some violent crimes.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

reply to post by dizzie56

Exactly, thank the Goddess that there is one logical person in this thread.

Lol.

A very telling slip of language.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56

Truth. Comparing the amount of violent crimes to the amount of petty crimes is rediculous.

False.

You are now charged with the ATS "crime" of only reading what you agree with and none of the opposing views and their supporting documentation.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you ...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Well here I'll give you an example... Hmm maybe more victims? violent crimes get you serious jail time, Petty crimes lesser times, meaning repeat offenders. So more arrests you get arrested for each crime You really can't compare the two, violent crimes, cannot be compared to petty its apples and oranges.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

reply to post by eNumbra

Look at it again.

You only have to read down to Figure 1 to see that between 1975 and 2001 arrests for violent crimes occur at the rate of about 200 per 100,000 population while number of reported violent crimes fluctuates between 400 and 600 per 100,000 population.

At best a 50% arrest rate and at worst only a 33% arrest rate for violent crimes.

Time to tell your really nice cop friends to go out and actually take care of some violent crimes.

So your solution is no cops? Just take them all off of the street because you dont like the fact that you got a speeding ticket once or twice in your life and the cop that pulled you over was a douche. Give me a break.

If there are no cops, then how many of those violent crimes are going to be solved do you think? And by whom? And how high do you think that number will go up for violent crimes reported?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Oh? how so? That I don't believe in god? In fact I'm not religious at all It's actually a habit my friend got me to do. God acknowledges there is a god Goddess implies nothing. I'm pretty much an atheist.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Personally I think we could use more cops that focus on real crimes and leave the 16yr old smoking pot with his friends alone or the guy running late to work so he went 10MPH over the limit. If they where focused then we could use more but the mentality is as another said. They are looking for the easy harrasment busts instead of really putting there life on the line against real violent criminals. Based on this story a drop in staff is exactly what was needed to get them to focus some what. Now we need to just drop 300 more from that single county before they stop parking in the bushes.

I think who ever cut 80 cops shoud get a raise.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

Oh? how so? That I don't believe in god? In fact I'm not religious at all It's actually a habit my friend got me to do. God acknowledges there is a god Goddess implies nothing. I'm pretty much an atheist.

check the portion I bolded and try to understand the implications of your argument if you are saying that dizzie is the "one logical person" in this thread.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

The jury is still out on you but I love your avatar! 8)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join