It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. ends combat operations in Iraq

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
All obama did was order them back if it wasnt for the Bush surge in Iraq they prob wouldnt be able to return today if it wasnt for the surge that obama did not support.

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
I'm so happy I can kiss my computer screen. President Obama has just won himself new support for this!!!

[edit on 18-8-2010 by timeslider00]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliadon

Actually its not over yet, there are still going ot be 50,000 US troops stationed in Iraq, that ruffly 2 divisions worth of troops. So don't believe everything you see on the TV. Its a propaganda spin so the Prez gets a boost in his ratings, its all politic's. This way he can say that he fulfilled his promise to the american people that he brought the troops home. Course the 50,000 troops are still there. What a joke.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
YESSSS!!!!!

Seriously, I'm gonna PARTY tonight!!!!

WOOOOO!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Send the troops to Afghanistan after a hard earned break. That is what will happen next.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
i have military experience, and draw a retirement paycheck for life.

i'm having some thoughts about the logistical and strategic aspects of troop movement in Iraq, Kuwait, and other regions around Iran.

Is this a ploy, repositioning of combat troops in preperation for possible involvement with Iran?

I'm thinking maybe.

then, i was viewing a brand new members' introductory thread, not much said by the individual, but a link to an interesting site i know little about, but some of the terminology on the site seems like it may be designed or linked to someone who knows a little bit about what they are talking about (although it may be encoded information)

i don't know much about the following, or it's legitimacy, but i thought some members may be interested in what this site seems to be saying:

here is the member who introduced this site to ATS:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
here is an interesting link stating Israel is preparing to do something:
griffithcolsonintelligenceservice.us...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well we have 33,000 troops in Korea troops in japan in europe so why would iraq be differant?

Originally posted by Eye of Horus
reply to post by Sliadon

Actually its not over yet, there are still going ot be 50,000 US troops stationed in Iraq, that ruffly 2 divisions worth of troops. So don't believe everything you see on the TV. Its a propaganda spin so the Prez gets a boost in his ratings, its all politic's. This way he can say that he fulfilled his promise to the american people that he brought the troops home. Course the 50,000 troops are still there. What a joke.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by Faiol

heroes? lol

nowadays is easy to be a hero

maybe... maybe not.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d456a73934eb.gif[/atsimg]

to say they are heroes, it all depends on the perspective

if you are a corporate guy selling equipment for the war, yes, they are heroes

but if you are a civilian dying and getting their whole culture torn apart, you are not a hero

lets be smart here

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliadon

Sounds like the same pr crap they used in Veitnam.Sliadon,this is just a troop rotation 6 months from now you will be hearing about the surge in Afganistan and spec ops on the border with Iran guess where those guys came from?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Brig. Gen. Nick Tooliatos, deputy commanding general for First Theater Sustainment Command in Kuwait, stood at the border saluting each soldier as he or she crossed.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better honor than to greet some soldiers who have done great work for a year fighting our nation’s war, and to just be here and render honors to them and welcome them and thank them for a job well done,” Tooliatos said.

Yeaa, right, our nation war on their soil.

..and NO I havent read yet the responding praising posts!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Sorry to crap on everyone's parade...but...either Iraq will fall into chaos, or we will be sending troops back again. That area (Middle East) is such an insane place that there will always be people, just waiting for the chance, to begin taking control through terror and murder. I'm sorry to say it, but either you kill everyone there, or you just stay away. You can't "win" in Iraq, Iran or anywhere in the Middle East. I wish I was wrong.

Regardless...I welcome our troops home and wish them the best. Our military is the only branch of government that I truly respect. I hope we can all bask in some peace for a while.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by star in a jar

At least this war has ended. What do you think will happen next?

no romantic. it has not ended.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of Horus

There are still tens of thousands of US troops in Germany and Japan, and WWII has been over for 65 years. Make of all that what you will.

Here's how you will know when the US has "finally" left Iraq: When it is full of Indian, Chinese, or Russian troops.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sliadon

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
I am glad half of you get it thanks for speaking for me.
The only good news I see is they get 30 days leave before they are redeployed to Afghanistan.
Have a good time Guys!
In No Way does this mean the War in Middle East is Over!
Just a Political Stunt at Election Time!

The article does not claim the War on Terror (which you mis-labeled as the War in the Middle East), but that combat operations in Iraq are done.

And all of these lines that these troops are immediately going to Afghanistan, these soldiers are getting a 1 year R&R. To some of you that may not seem like much, but to these soldiers who have seen 4 or 5 tours in the past 7 years in Iraq, that is a Godsend. I know some of these soldiers personally. Their wives and kids will be thrilled to see their husbands and fathers for longer than they have been able to before.

Things we have taken for granted these soldiers will get to see again.

As I said on page 1, and as the MSM story stated, this does not mean the US has given up its interests in Iraq. But we are doing the right thing by taking the necessary steps to right our wrongs.

-Sliadon

i hear ya on the the joy it will bring those families....thats beauty......but it's just not good enough........kinda like seeing the punch in the turd bowl.......y'know?

Sadly I have to go with the cynic option on this one.......political move indeed.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Sliadon

Couldnt agree with anyone more. Staying in Iraq of Afghan is no different then the bases we have in Germany, or Italy. Im glad to see that we are giving out flront line fighters the much deserved time off, and let the non-combat roles get in there and help out.

Im not sure why everyone says the "War" is over. We werent at "war" with Iraq, we are at "war" with terrorism, and im sorry to say, is not centered in Iraq anymore.

How anyone can think that its a BAD thing that we are helping a country defend itself is beyond me. If Saddam ran America, and killed the entire family of those who didnt support with him every breath they had, we'd be screaming to some help.. I know I would.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
High ho, High ho of to another war we go....

probably just need all their equiptment and men in another place hmm I wonder where?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
“…bringing to a close the active combat phase”

So the last Iraqi resistance fighter finally left town. So when are they bringing to a close the “occupation phase?”

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sliadon

Originally posted by Alda1981
I saw that video with US soldiers shooting reporters and innocent people and talking about it as if its a video game. nice heroes you got there.

I see what you are trying to do and it will not work. I stand by my words when I say that American troops are my heroes. Just like I would not judge you if your sibling or relative did something off-color, I will not associate all troops with the actions of a few. It is no different than anytime people collectively assume the same to be true about the whole. And you know what they say about what happens when you assume. You end up making a joke out of 'u' and me... Nice try at derailing

These troops you are chastising and lump-summing into one type are my friends and neighbors and your ignorance of who they really are will not change my opinion of how great they are. If you want to trash them, then that is your Constitutional right. If you are not American and the Constitution doesn't apply to you, then you have no right defaming that which you do not know. You might think you know what you hear on Conspiracy websites but until you live it, and know someone that is willing to give their life for your right to disrespect them, you have no idea...

-Sliadon

I'm sure there are some good dudes in the military........and you are priviliged to have relationships with a few........but you also have to admit......as in all aspects of human llife.........there are just as many douchebags. Both views are warrented........but the bottom line is.......they are out there killing people man........I don't care where you are from.........what you believe........you can't go around friggin killing people........thats gotta screw with your humanity.....like I said, there are definitely people in the military who are good at heart........but they're brainwashed man.....no human can go walking around in another country killing other humans unless they are brainwashed or mentally off......I am of a belief that humans are inherrently good(as evidenced by men and women leaving their families, risking their lives in the name of "liberty and country" which is a falsity)....good ole propoganda.

Also, no "constitution" gives anybody any rights whatsoever......it merely states them as being self evident........life, liberty and prosperity should be extended to all.....no matter the location on Earth or what a piece of paper reads.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Wow..

"War" is over...

But they will still keep rotating troops in and out, the same exact way, and they will be in the same exact danger.

OH YEAH AMERICA THE WAR IS OVER.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I wonder which country america will rape next??? hmmmm
America is looking more like the beast each day, all it needs is a female president .....
All the bs aaawwww us troops died woop woop, innocent children died .. NOW THATS SOMETHING TO BE SAD ABOUT

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Let's everyone just put down our weapons, then it can all be over? Yeh...This war isn't over, and the bulk of the troops are probably going to Iran next. Maybe...MAYBE...a bit of time at home before a deploy next door...but I almost completely doubt it. There's just too much going on everywhere else for anything to be over. Let's hope it ends sometime soon, eh?

...Sadly...it won't.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join