It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. ends combat operations in Iraq

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliadon

Did the source say tens of thousands of Iraqis dead? WTF...

Get real man, over a million Iraqis dead and there isn't even a functional government in Iraq.

Nice going America

WAR CRIMES< WAR CRIMES< WAR CRIMES

Hang Bush.. And create a fake video of WE GOT'EM.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think the thing we should be discussing is not the past but the fact that we are finally "ending" combat operations in iraq. It was quite an amazing and emotional scene seeing those cargo and troop carriers going into Kuwait.

N semper fi.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Your MSM coverage:

MSNBC - on scene with troop withdrawal.
CNN - on scene with troop withdrawal.
FOX - Bill O'reilly talking about who he's been contemptuous of.

I'm watching it via CBC, far less bias than American media.

Interesting. I watch a variety of news sources so I don't allow myself to be brainwashed to one side and also so I'm well informed with something other than propaganda.

At the time you posted this, the lead story on FoxNews was the Troops leaving. You are aware that O'Reilly is not a reporter and has an opinion show? It's not a news show. Just thought you might want to know your post was not true and you have confused News with Commentary. One is reporting news events, the other is some persons opinions.

MSNBC has the least news and the most opinion. I think that's why it's loosing money and has no audience. I watch it also, but am soon to stop altogether its quality is so bad. CNN is not bad as long as you ignore the opinion shows. NBC is terrible and often actually reports falsehoods. Not surprising as their boss is one of Obamas Advisers and controls NBC and GE. First time I remember a President having direct input into what is reported on the News. Negates NBC's value entirely.

On topic -

Good thing to hear
Also glad they left enough there to keep all that hard work from falling apart.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alda1981
I saw that video with US soldiers shooting reporters and innocent people and talking about it as if its a video game. nice heroes you got there.

I see what you are trying to do and it will not work. I stand by my words when I say that American troops are my heroes. Just like I would not judge you if your sibling or relative did something off-color, I will not associate all troops with the actions of a few. It is no different than anytime people collectively assume the same to be true about the whole. And you know what they say about what happens when you assume. You end up making a joke out of 'u' and me... Nice try at derailing

These troops you are chastising and lump-summing into one type are my friends and neighbors and your ignorance of who they really are will not change my opinion of how great they are. If you want to trash them, then that is your Constitutional right. If you are not American and the Constitution doesn't apply to you, then you have no right defaming that which you do not know. You might think you know what you hear on Conspiracy websites but until you live it, and know someone that is willing to give their life for your right to disrespect them, you have no idea...

-Sliadon

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Im guessing a lot of peole are going to skip my previous post about the HALF MILLION US Soldiers on permanent disability, who are commiting suicide in record numbers because they are coming home to find out things ain't like they were told...Obama wanted to make then pay for their own health care REMEMBER? he ain't no friend of no grunts.

Calling them "heroes" is a nice sentiment, but it is far from the treatment they are getting,,,and if they are from the gulf shores what they are getting from BP, who cherishes the spOILs of war that these braves fought, killed, and died for, what they are getting is the shaft.
and no social net, and no help for the PTSD.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Good to see you coming home brothers and sisters. For all the casualties, brutality and sheer destruction, I hope that we were able to leave a somewhat positive mark on Iraq when history reflects on our operations there-in.

I put in most of my work in the Stan, but having served on a roughly four month deployment in Iraq, I have seen first-hand the professionalism, dedication and empathetic actions that our Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors have put in over there. It is my sincere hope that the police and military forces we worked so hard to train maintain the testicular fortitude and resolve I saw in them once the frying pan heats up after we are fully out.

God bless America and Iraq, along with the rest of the world.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Shark VA84]

link   
Is there anyone here who is stupid enough to believe that operations in Iraq are done? You have to be the stupidest person who walks in any room. How about you tell us what the 150 thousand people who are there now are doing? Oh I know!!! The media blackout hasn’t let you!
Ask yourself this why would the US just up and leave on the eve of an Iran attack?
But if you want to believe that a normal rotation of troops back to the US is an indication be my guest….

link   

Originally posted by Skooter_NB
I think the thing we should be discussing is not the past but the fact that we are finally "ending" combat operations in iraq. It was quite an amazing and emotional scene seeing those cargo and troop carriers going into Kuwait.

N semper fi.

Combat Operations, but I saw more bombings yesterday, and the US spokesperson was having a hard time explaining WTF was going on.

He was studering and saying, well these attacks are insignificant, because they don't effect the political blablabla of Iraq.

What??

It doesn't need to effect the political dynamics of Iraq, there isn't a functional government in Iraq in the first place, now there is gonna be another BS election, without the government even being formed.

Iraq will be like this for a long time I suspect, because Saudi Arabia will continue supporting the Sunnis, because they fear Iran, and the Shias will continue supporting Iran because they are Shias.

Who brought Iraq in to this situation?

This is BS, there needs to be accountability.

Hang Bush..

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Sliadon

Did the source say tens of thousands of Iraqis dead? WTF...

Get real man, over a million Iraqis dead and there isn't even a functional government in Iraq.

Nice going America

WAR CRIMES< WAR CRIMES< WAR CRIMES

Hang Bush.. And create a fake video of WE GOT'EM.

For as much as some of you complain about fake numbers, please do your research. This 'millions of deaths' claim has been disproved several times.

There have been several survey-based attempts to roughly estimate the number of Iraqis killed as a result of the 2003 invasion and subsequent conflict. It is unfortunate that the most careful and well-resourced survey work in this area (from the UNDP and WHO)1 has been scarcely visible, while the most flawed and inadequate work has dominated public discourse. This has been largely due to the shocking (but ultimately numbing) effect of their hugely exaggerated death toll figures.

www.iraqbodycount.org...

Take this with actual, documented deaths, and you get something in the neighborhood of roughly 97,000 --> 106,000.

Now please, do not get me wrong. Life is precious and matter regardless of the numbers of casualties. A lost life is a lost life. But do not skew the facts to support your argument.

And as I have explained for the umpteenth in this thread, we are keeping 50,000 non-combat troops there to help stabilize the country and give the Iraqi's the training and tools they need to have a functional government.

But obviously it is so much easier to cry foul at every single one of this country's faults...

-Sliadon

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark VA84

All that will be remembered is the sheer destruction, the bloody civil war which was orchestrated by the occupying special ops, and not to mention the torture, it will all go down in history, do you know why? Because you won't be a world super power for long to create fake history and shove it down our throats, and up our "where sun never shines".

Although I admire your courage, but your courage came with stupidity in following orders as if you are a computer. You are not a computer, you are a human being, what did you learn from this war? I hope you don't say nothing..

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

When the story broke, that was indeed the programming on those networks. O'reilly was discussing Palin and some other stuff, little attention was being given the troop drawdown. I use TiVO and watched all three to get the sense of any bias.

I also think you're mistaken on the number of "opinion" shows on each of those networks, as Fox airs more than CNN or MSNBC. (Fox; Hannity, Beck, O'reilly, - MSNBC, Olbermann, Maddow - CNN, Cooper, Ed show.)

But back to topic, those trying to spin this are really doing a disservice to the troops.

They did THEIR job. Whatever lies from the previous administration got them their isn't their fault. Not finding WMD's not their fault. After toppling Saddam they had (WE have) to stay on to stabilize the country. Again, not their fault.

I'm sure the war drums will begin beating for Iran soon enough, maybe the troops will get some respite before that nightmare begins.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Blackmarketeer]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
Calling them "heroes" is a nice sentiment, but it is far from the treatment they are getting,,,and if they are from the gulf shores what they are getting from BP, who cherishes the spOILs of war that these braves fought, killed, and died for, what they are getting is the shaft.
and no social net, and no help for the PTSD.

I won't deny you that Vet benefits aren't even close to what they should be. However, and I don't know where you live, but these soldiers get a Heroes welcome everywhere they go where I live. When I see a soldier in uniform, I always shake their hand and tell them how grateful I am for their service. Anyone who can do what they do and come back is an amazing person.

So yes, treatment could be better, but that beef is with the government, not with people like me who call them what they are. Heroes.

-Sliadon

link   
reply to post by Sliadon

Have you heard of the Iraqi grave diggers?

Go do a research on them.

Your ignorance doesn't astound me, you are one of millions who have been left in the dark in regards to this unjustified war.

I bet you were one of those who ate the pretext in the first place.

link   
reply to post by Steve8511

Source(s)?

I highly doubt anyone here believes that the entirety of our military presence in Iraq just up and left. The media has never said that would be the case either. Of course we still have a large combat force in Iraq, and we will maintain one until our government and the Iraqi government deem appropriate for complete withdrawal (we will likely maintain a small military presence in the country for a long time).

This marks the beginning of our withdrawal from the country. It certainly IS significant in that respect.

We have been on the "eve" of war with Iran for much longer than most people would think.

I understand that you are trying to inform people that we are not "up and out," but your post came off as egotistical and mocking in my opinion. If you have some extraordinary inside information, present it to us. If you have legitimate source material, present it to us. If you are taking such an authoritarian stance on the subject, please bring more than opinion and hear-say, otherwise what is the point?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by doctor j and inmate c5779
So 50,000 remaining... ok thats nice. Can someone tell me how many are coming home?

Second line.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

over a million Iraqis dead

Most killed by insurgents not to mention the hundreds of thousands found in mass graves left by Saddam and Son's, Inc..

I hate partial truths. They are so misleading. I think the article was only referring to those actually killed in combat with US Troops. They did not include the slaughter of Iraqi's by Insurgents funneled in from Iran and in Theater Insurgents who are/were also Iraqi's.

I wonder how long before the Kurd's are slaughtered after the "Advisers" leave. Probably not long.

Really sad to me how most of the death and suffering in the Middle East over the years has been from their own people. What the US has done pales in comparison. Too bad it's not PC to talk about that truth, but hey, it makes it easier to spread the propaganda and keep the bombs flowing.

I predict that on or about August two years from now, just before the Presidential elections the Advisers will be pulled out to much fanfare. Then in 2013 the real slaughter will begin as the various Radical Islamic Sects vie for their piece of the pie. The death toll will make this war look like child's play. Bombings of innocent civilians will be a daily if not hourly ritual. I further predict the so called peaceful States in the Middle East will not lift a finger to stop it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Sliadon

Have you heard of the Iraqi grave diggers?

Go do a research on them.

Your ignorance doesn't astound me, you are one of millions who have been left in the dark in regards to this unjustified war.

I bet you were one of those who ate the pretext in the first place.

This is the absolute last time I will refer anyone back to earlier mentioned posts. If you will insist on skipping through the thread and not paying attention to earlier statements, then please do not comment.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have stated again and again that I bought into the whole "giant larger than life" conspiracy of this leading up to Iran or future motives.

Also, if you actually read what I wrote, I never said I support this war. I said I support the troops and that they are heroes. I never supported the war in Iraq from it's inception. I knew it was political clean up from the Gulf War.

Now, that being said, I can have that point of view while still acknowledging Saddam was a terrible person. You can take a situation you don't agree with and find good things that happened. Saddam being removed from office doesn't justify the pretext of war. Doesn't justify the countless dead troops and Iraqi people. Doesn't justify the economic burden placed on my nation.

But you seem to lash out at any person that has an opposing view than you, in this case me for supporting my troops. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding on your part. But realize now if you haven't before, you can be pro-troops and anti-war.

Hope this helps you.

-Sliadon

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Listen man, I respect your opinion and yourself. I don't really have much to say to you other than that you certainly could never understand my position or experiences. I would go as far as to say that you don't understand much of what has happened in Iraq or Afghanistan, but that would be out of line.

I'm far more privy to what has been done and what it has been done for than your average joe. I am not a proponent of either war. My job is to serve my nation. It is our nation's job to serve its people. It is the PEOPLE's job to run it all. It's easy to say "disobey orders," far harder in practice. The NWO crowd loves to pretend to understand what we have done over there, but most have no clue. We are not robots. Go through some of my previous threads if you would like some insight into how my unit ran over there. We will likely never see eye to eye on this, but please have some F___NG respect, as a world without armies would be nice, but none of us would live free if everyone remained spineless and peaceful. Your service men and women don't make the wars, the elected leaders do. For the tens, if not hundreds of millions of individuals who are too damn lazy or arrogant to stay politically active and aware, the blood is on your hands too.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Shark VA84]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark VA84

Once again, you didn't answer either of my questions:

Are you a computer?

What did you learn from this war?

Yes they can force you to go to war, but they force you because you signed something, didn't you?

You can't be that naive, or has Americans been brainwashed that much to think they have no choice?

WOW..

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Lets not get to far off topic.

Like I said I watch them all. On MSNBC they seem to pass off opinion as news which it is not. Have you looked at their rating.

As to O'Reilly, its not a news program to begin with. Your on the Internet so to see the lead story just go to their site.

As to NBC and MSNBC, it is simply a fact that the CEO of GE is an Obama Adviser and he controls NBC and the nature of their news. I don't trust any such source be it a Democrat or a Republican controlling it. It is wrong that Obama has a man who controls news as a personal Adviser. That is something we expect from Russia or Venezuela, not in the US.

I think it's wrong entirely to limit your news sources based on bias. It leaves a person wide open to being controlled. It's like belonging to a Political Party which also leaves you vulnerable. This debate over which sources to use is another control attempt. By convincing people to only watch shows that agree with them or their Party, they are being clearly dumbed down. Blindly accepting one sides views and never considering all sides is simply not wise.

Sorry OP. My Bad! I'll stay on topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join