It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. ends combat operations in Iraq

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
They're just doing this for the upcoming elections, and they're just showing the people what they want to see because they now have total control over the media. Not like in Nixons day where the media was not entirely controlled. They can (most likely will) keep doing operations in Iraq, despite what it looks like, only this time they may get away with it because the media machine is controlled by the bilderbergers. I think they are just giving the public what they want to see before elections....they will show a few clips on the news of guys coming home,...they will remain there in Iraq and tell the troops that "most of the guys went home but there still has to be a security force to keep the peace over there". This ,of course, will be a lie because every troop will not be able to tell just how many are still over there, so they will accept this as a fact. They will continue to lie to the public and troops until after the elections are won,...then they will step up the war by sending twice as many men over there..........while it looks like we are just sending the same amount back.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Phenomium]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
so things are finally coming to a close in iraq...so where are we going to send the troops now...must be korea or a different country...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by SLAYER69

No, if it's aimed at American forces it's not.

Wake up Bush is gone! We as Americans Made sure of that!

Also if you think like that, then in that case the war ended back in 2003 with the whole mission accomplished farce om the aircraft carrier.
It would have been but IRAN had to step in
N00b

So sectarian violence has totally ended then?

No! Many have shown the proof of what has gone on for hundreds of years!...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
you really believe that whether its bush or clinton or obama it makes any difference. there is always one line they all follow. Also if you think we see the USA as an evil empire and we are wrong explain to me why the usa doesnt help any other country that has no oil. I can name you genocides in africa that the army could help but you dont give a # about it. so gimme a break. heroes my ass... just missinformed people that THINK they do something right when all they do is INVADE another country. Its same with greek empire where every greek books says Alexander the great LIBERATED east, same with Ottoman empire that liberated west etc etc. I am greek and i can safely say that alexander the great was a butcher like all the other leaders who want to expand their empire. The only difference between then and now is that then they had balls to fight face to face. now its a bunch of pussies behind monitors and buttons sending bombs.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Alda1981]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sliadon
The one thing some of you are missing though, is how this is a symbolic gesture by the United States. Yes, there are 50,000 troops still there. But they are staying to continue training Iraqi soldiers, not fight. We have troops stationed in Germany still. Does it mean we are at war with the defunct USSR still? No. We still have bases in Saudi Arabia. It is us helping the people in those nations out still.

There has been mentioning of fear of civil war between the Sunni and Shia Islamic peoples. Those troops of ours helping train are helping Iraq be stable enough to diffuse conflict between the groups. It doesn't mean we are guaranteeing success, but we are trying.

Obama removing the troops says to the world that he is upholding his commitment to end the war in the middle east. A very strong political move.

-Sliadon

The only reason the USA has military bases all over the world is to have global military dominance. Pulling troops out of Iraq doesn't change that, and they weren't there to help either in my opinion. I think they were just there because it's right next to USA's next target and it kept them surrounded for as long as needed, in other words, i think something is bound to happen in relation to this, and soon.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Read my lips: "Major combat operations have ended"....

Oh wait it was Bush who said that...

So 50,000 are remaining? What percentage is that from a month ago?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Bush is gone. And? Everything's nice and rosy?

I don't think so.

What do you mean Iran had to step in?

You telling me the USA wouldn't do the same if say China started sticking it's nose in Mexico.

Come on man.....Iran's just the new boogeyman.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

We did?

Oh that's right he was voted out!

Damn... Obama is more Bush than Bush is.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Great news if true, but aren't they just going to move them into Iran and other war fronts?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It doesn't matter where these troops go.

America will no doubt invade another country illegally and you Americans will break out the flags and cheer them on.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

No he isn't doing what he was elected for. He is representative of the American people elected to make decisions on their behalf that reflect their ideas and values. He has pushed his own agenda contrary to the will of the people who elected him. He doesn't represent us he rules over us. The present demoocratic elite have repeatedly said they will do anything to further their agenda which polling dictates is not the will of the people.

Now onto this illegal war, lol. Iraq and Afghanistan are not illegal, they were extended military combat engagements which WERE AUTHORIZED BY CONGRESS. We maintained a presence in Iraq nd have been requested by the IRaqui government to maintain a presence there. We have NOT been asked to leave.

The operation in Afghanistan was AUTHORIZED BY CONGRESS AND THE UN.

So if you want to refer to it as illegal you are simply telling a lie. Under US law the actions were legal and legitimate regardless of whether or not you agree or disagree with them. They were autorized by congress. If you want to say it's illegal under international law, that's a matter up for debate, but resoloution 1441 is something you should look at. But the fact is that the UN security council DID NOT RULE THE WAR WAS ILLEGAL. And being that is the determining factor under international law, everything else is debate, and it isn't illegal until that happens. SO i repeat making the statement the war was illegal is a lie. Not to metion the gap between desert storm and the current conflict was only defined as a ceasefire meaning since the original was sanctioned, this is a continuation and therefore already legal. People can say it's illegal all they want but until it's formally declared as such, then it isn't. And given they've had 7 years to do so and it's never been brought up for a vote, that should ell you something.

As far as oil interests go... The US spends trillions defending oil production in the middle east. But explaining how the US benefitsin relation to oil from the conflict would take another thread. Here's an excellent article explaining it.

www.thirdworldtraveler.com...

Saudi Arabia, the largest oil producer with the largest known oil reserves, is the leader of OPEC. It is the only member of the OPEC cartel that does not have an allotted production quota. It is the "swing producer," i.e., it can increase or decrease oil production to bring oil draught or glut in the world market. This enables it more or less to determine prices.
Oil can be bought from OPEC only if you have dollars. Non-oil producing countries, such as most underdeveloped countries and Japan, first have to sell their goods to earn dollars with which they can purchase oil. If they cannot earn enough dollars, then they have to borrow dollars from the WB/IMF, which have to be paid back, with interest, in dollars. This creates a great demand for dollars outside the U.S. In contrast, the U.S. only has to print dollar bills in exchange for goods. Even for its own oil imports, the U.S. can print dollar bills without exporting or selling its goods. For instance, in 2003 the current U.S. account deficit and external debt has been running at more than $500 billion. Put in simple terms, the U.S. will receive $500 billion more in goods and services from other countries than it will provide them. The imported goods are paid by printing dollar bills, i.e., "fiat" dollars.
Fiat money or currency (usually paper money) is a type of currency whose only value is that a government made a "fiat" (decree) that the money is a legal method of exchange. Unlike commodity money, or representative money, it is not based in any other commodity such as gold or silver and is not covered by a special reserve. Fiat money is a promise to pay by the usurer and does not necessarily have any intrinsic value. Its value lies in the issuer's financial means and creditworthiness.
Such fiat dollars are invested or deposited in U.S. banks or the U.S. Treasury by most non-oil producing, underdeveloped countries to protect their currencies and generate oil credit. Today foreigners hold 48 percent of the U.S. Treasury bond market and own 24 percent of the U.S. corporate bond market and 20 percent of all U.S. corporations. In total, foreigners hold $8 trillion of U.S. assets. Nevertheless, the foreign deposited dollars strengthen the U.S. dollar and give the United States enormous power to manipulate the world economy, set rules, and prevail in the international market.
Thus, the U. S. effectively controls the world oil-market as the dollar has become the "fiat" international trading currency. Today U.S. currency accounts for approximately two-thirds of all official exchange reserves. More than four-fifths of all foreign exchange transactions and half of all the world exports are denominated in dollars and U.S. currency accounts for about two-thirds of all official exchange reserves. The fact that billions of dollars worth of oil is priced in dollars ensures the world domination of the dollar. It allows the U.S. to act as the world's central bank, printing currency acceptable everywhere. The dollar has become an oil-backed, not gold-backed, currency.
If OPEC oil could be sold in other currencies, e.g. the euro, then U.S. economic dominance-dollar imperialism or hegemony-would be seriously challenged. More and more oil importing countries would acquire the euro as their "reserve," its value would increase, and a larger amount of trade would be transacted and denominated in euros. In such circumstances, the value of the dollar would most likely go down, some speculate between 20-40 percent.
In November 2000, Iraq began selling its oil in euros. Iraq's oil for food account at the UN was also in euros and Iraq later converted its $10 billion reserve fund at the UN to euros. Several other oil producing countries have also agreed to sell oil in euros-Iran, Libya, Venezuela, Russia, Indonesia, and Malaysia (soon to join this group). In July 2003, China announced that it would switch part of its dollar reserves into the world's emerging "reserve currency" (the euro).
On January 1, 1999, when 11 European countries formed a monetary union around this currency, Britain and Norway, the major oil producers, were absent. As the U.S. economy began to slow down during mid-2000, Western stock markets began to yield lower dividends. Investors from Gulf Cooperation Council nations lost over $800 million in the stock plunge. As investors sold U.S. assets and reinvested in Europe, which seemed to be better shielded from a recession, the euro began to gain ground against the dollar .
After September 11, 2001, Islamic financiers began to repatriate their dollar investments-amounting to billions of dollars-to Arab banks, as they were worried about the possible seizure of their assets under the USA PATRIOT Act. Also, they feared their accounts might be frozen on the suspicion that such accounts fund Islamic terrorists. Iranian sources stated that their banking colleagues felt particularly hassled as Washington heated up its war of words and threats of military intervention. This encouraged Tehran to abandon the dollar payment for oil sales and switch to the euro. Iran also moved the majority of its reserve fund to the euro. (Iran is the latest target of the U.S., which has interfered by stirring up opposition forces, and making covert threats.)
OPEC member countries and the euro-zone have strong trade links, with more than 45 percent of total merchandize imports of OPEC member countries coming from the countries of the euro-zone, while OPEC members are the main suppliers of oil and crude oil products to Europe. The EU has a bigger share of global trade than the U.S. and, while the U.S. has a huge current account deficit, the EU has a more balanced external accounts position. The EU plans to enlarge in May 2004 with ten new members. It will have a population of 450 million; it will have an oil consuming-purchasing population 33 percent larger than the U.S., and over half of OPEC crude oil will be sold to the EU as of mid-2004. In order to reduce currency risks, Europeans will pressure OPEC to trade oil in euros. Countries such as Algeria, Iran, Iraq, and Russia-which export oil and natural gas to European countries and in turn import goods and services from them-will have an interest in reducing their currency risk and hence, pricing oil and gas in euros. Thus momentum is building toward at least the dual use of euro and dollar pricing.
The unprovoked "shock and awe" attack on Iraq was to serve several economic purposes: (1) Safeguard the U.S. economy by re-denominating Iraqi oil in U.S. dollars, instead of the euro, to try to lock the world back into dollar oil trading so the U.S. would remain the dominant world power-militarily and economically. (2) Send a clear message to other oil producers as to what will happen to them if they abandon the dollar matrix. (3) Place the second largest oil reserve under direct U.S. control. (4) Create a subject state where the U.S. can maintain a huge force to dominate the Middle East and its oil. (5) Create a severe setback to the European Union and its euro, the only trading block and currency strong enough to attack U.S. dominance of the world through trade. (6) Free its forces (ultimately) so that it can begin operations against those countries that are trying to disengage themselves from U.S. dollar imperialism-such as Venezuela, where the U.S. has supported the attempted overthrow of a democratic government by a junta more friendly to U. S. business/oil interests.
The U.S. also wants to create a new oil cartel in the Middle East and Africa to replace OPEC. To this end the U.S. has been pressuring Nigeria to withdraw from OPEC and its strict production quotas by dangling the prospects of generous U.S. aid. Instead the U.S. seeks to promote a "U.S.-Nigeria Alignment," which would place Nigeria as the primary oil exporter to the U.S. Another move by the U.S. is to promote oil production in other African countries-Algeria, Libya, Egypt, and Angola, from where the U.S. imports a significant amount of oil-so that the oil control of OPEC is loosened, if not broken. Furthermore, the U.S. is pressuring non-OPEC producers to flood the oil market and retain denomination in dollars in an effort to weaken OPEC's market control and challenge the leadership of any country switching oil denomination from the dollar to the euro.
To break up OPEC and control the world's oil supply, it is also helpful to control Middle East and central Asiatic oil producing countries through which oil pipelines traverse. The first attack and occupation was of Afghanistan, October 2001, in itself a gas producing country, but primarily a country through which Central Asia and the Caspian Sea oil and gas will be shipped (piped) to energy-starved Pakistan and India. Afghanistan also provided an alternative to previously existing Russian pipelines. Simultaneously, the U.S. acquired military bases-19 of them-in the Central Asian countries of Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan in the Caspian Basin, all of which are potential oil producers. After the invasion and occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq, the U.S. controlled the natural resources of these two countries and, once again, Iraq's oil began to be traded in U.S. dollars. The UN's oil for food production program was scrapped and the U.S. Iaunched its Iraqi Assistance Fund in U.S. dollars. In December 2003, the U.S. (Pentagon) announced that it had barred French, German, and Russian oil and other companies from bidding on Iraq's reconstruction.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

50K out of 60K-65K? I suck at math, but yeah...that's about the size of it. And probably increases of PMCs. Wonder if some are redeploying to Afghanistan. That whole sitch is up in the air. At least we're (for the moment) not sending more into Pakistan. If things keep heating up there though with Pakistan and India, we better get the hell outta dodge.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

reply to post by star in a jar

You are absolutely right. Read the article, the MSM is acknowledging this point.

“We are ending the war ... but we are not ending our work in Iraq,” he said. “We have a long-term commitment to Iraq.”

Very open-ended. Contractors and non-combat are still there. But it is a step in the right direction!

-Sliadon

This isn't a step, it's a public relations / propaganda stunt, another giant lie courtesy of a dear party leader..

I like the not so clever play on words, "combat troops" are leaving, allegedly,... but "50,000 Americans in uniform remaining behind.." which actually means 50,000 occupation troops are going nowhere. Not to mention 1000's of mercenary goons.

Since there is no such thing as a "non combat" troop when everyone is armed & trained for combat, this is all transparent fluff.. a big yawn.. that shouldn't be fooling anyone.

FYI "Operation new dawn" starts 9/1/1

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Is there an echo (echo echo echo echo......) in this thread?

Because I swear every single thing Slayer had to waste his time answering I answered earlier in this thread.

Members of ATS, please actually read threads before posting your thoughts. Chances are several other members have already asked your question or said the same thing.

Slayer thank you for taking the time to answer all of their babble in my absence.

This all being said, I have requested the mods shut this thread down. I am appalled at the behavior of the ATS members in this thread. Not even two weeks ago our staff sent out a warning about the blatant attacks going on in these forums. The point of my thread was to share my joy that family and friends and loved ones were finally coming home. I expressed my joy living near a military base and knowing my best friends are coming home to see their wives and children. I said it once and I'll say it again, YES these men and women are HEROES.

People want to hate the US, and that is fine. That is your prerogative. But you have perversed my thread into the travesty which you do on all of your threads you partake in. You brought the worst kinds of hate into this thread. You painted a portrait of all American soldiers either as robots or zombies or evil parasites that suck the life out of everything. You called them all terrorists or mercenaries starving for their next kill. You ranted about how they all are against the world and America and its soldiers want to ruin everything everywhere.

And why? Because a few rotten apples?

If your brother was a rapist, could I call you and the rest of your family rapists and say that you all support and welcome the idea of doing such a dreadful deed to innocent people?

If your grandfather was a leading soldier in Hitler's Nazi regime, could I label you and the rest of your family as Fascists and say that you all go around persecuting Jews, Handicaps, and any other group that doesn't fit into your "master race."

No. And even if I could I would not stoop to the lowest of low levels that some of you have drug down to.

I watched another fellow member in this thread explain how he fought for this country and someone tried to circumvent the censors and call him a (cuss-word) robot and tear apart his character.

This sickens me.

ATS has been wondering why members have been leaving? It has been due in large to things like this. Consider this my leave of absence for awhile. It is in no part due to the staff. They do a wonderful job with the limited resources they have and I consider them along with some other members to be some of the smartest people I (virtually) know.

To those who this will never click to and you will never see the ignorance of your ways, I pray that you will find it. There was once a point in time on these threads where people would disagree on views without calling the other person expletives and saying the other person has a terrible country that does terrible things and therefore everyone is bad.

Mods, please go ahead and close this now. ATS, it is now vacation time...

Goodbye.

-Sliadon

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

lol.. as if Iraq & Afghanistan are anything like Germany, South Korea or Japan... jihads, infidels, Iran next door, everlasting ultra religious wingnuttery and a proud people from a culture 1000's of years old tells me those folks will never negotiate any cease fire. Ever... well, unless it includes the removal of every last American from Iraqi soil.

Also there will be no cease fire because party leaders won't talk to so called "terrorists".. keeps the chess pieces moving and the war profits flowing longer dontch'ya know..

Especially Afghanistan, their ability to castrate an enemy then watch them bleed out is legendary.

Governments locals recognized as legitimate agreed to those bases after surrender & total defeat.. US forces remained with the consent of the people.

...but Iraqis & Afghanis see their govt for what it is: an occupier puppet show... a farce. Post occupation Iraqi "leaders" who allow uninvited US troops to remain are seen by many as sell-outs obeying the pimp hand of uncle sam.

Would poop kicker "US Americans" drunk with nationalism allow a Chinese installed govt to tell them it's okay?.. I'd be okay, I'm sure... eh?.. it's ONLY 50,000+ uninvited Red Communist troops armed with all manner of nastiness who got her because their mental midget dear leader told a pack of lies.. oh and by the way, most of your friends are dead, dying from DU or missing.. AND the Chinese have been torturing your mom.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
lol.. as if Iraq & Afghanistan are anything like Germany, South Korea or Japan... jihads, infidels, Iran next door, everlasting ultra religious wingnuttery and a proud people from a culture 1000's of years old tells me those folks will never negotiate any cease fire. Ever... well, unless it includes the removal of every last American from Iraqi soil.

OK, now forgive the alterations; I'm going run your post through the ole' time machine for a "1945" version:

Originally posted by GovtFlu
lol.. as if Japan is anything like Germany or Italy...extremist officer coups in the Imperial Army left and right, fanatical emperor worship, a plundered, chaotic China and a lurking Russia next door, everlasting ultra Shinto religious wingnuttery and a proud people from a culture 1000's of years old tells me those folks will never negotiate any cease fire. Ever... well, unless it includes the removal of every last American from Japanese soil.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

[edit on 8/19/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Originally posted by SLAYER69

We did?

Oh that's right he was voted out!

Damn... Obama is more Bush than Bush is.

Well, he wasn't voted out. He was ineligible to run after 2 consecutive terms.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
voices.washingtonpost.com... 'Are Americans total numbskulls? '

I guess this is worth a read for everyone that believes the war in Iraq is finally over. I warn it will offend you though

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Amen. It is about time our heroes come home. God bless all of them for the hard work they have done. Regardless of if you supported the war there or not, you can't say it is not a good feeling knowing your friends, family, and other loved ones are heading home! Living near a military base this is like Christmas in August because it means friends are coming back home from their countless tours since the inception of this war.

-Sliadon

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Since when the quote above would be a large quote that needs to be erased?????

MOD MIRTHFUL ME, I disagree with your idea of VERY LARGE QUOTE. Tell us, truthfully if you took off the quote because it stops the flow of reasoning. Tell us, please.

Below, you will see the end result of FALSE MATH and FAULTY REASON.

HOW MANY LINES IS A VERY LARGE FOR YOU, KIND SIR???????

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Wide Vision 2010]

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Wide Vision 2010]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide Vision 2010

No. How can you call heroes the mercenaries that make possible the esclavization of a country on FALSE GROUNDS?

USA's wars are based on LIES, CHEATING and KILLING OTHERS for the ZIONIST owners of YOUR GOVERNMENT.

People that go to war are stupud morons. They don't go to war for their country, but for their Zionist overlords.

Large quote?????? What kind of math is used in your country, sir?

See above.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join