It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. ends combat operations in Iraq

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

We still have troops in Germany, South Korea and Japan.
Your point is?....

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sliadon

Amen. It is about time our heroes come home.

-Sliadon

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Why do people insist on calling soldiers heroes? Have you seen this?

www.youtube.com...

Having a job that involves danger and possibly murder does not automatically qualify you as a "Hero". It is like saying all cops are heroes. Wrong! Many have gone to prison for breaking the law.

"Hero" is a word that has lost its meaning. How sad.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by GrumpyBadger]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I could care less about the PMCs. They can stay in Iraq forever for all I care.

I mean, its how they feed and clothe themselves, right? More power to them.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrumpyBadger
"Hero" is a word that has lost its meaning. How sad.

Irregardless.....

Some of us have been and will be willing to PUT IT ON THE LINE!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The troop withdrawal is nothing more than a charade. Many Americans who oppose the war efforts are relieved and joyous because of this event, but I'm here to say that there exists no one happier than the insurgents who've been waiting for this day to come.

There are many Americans who are over there to help the Iraqis rebuild there country and now they'll become sitting ducks to any anti-American groups that is sure to start coming out of the woodworks.

If anyone thinks it was bad over there with the presence of our troops, wait until you see how bad it'll get without them.

I really feel sorry for the Iraqi people who want a democracy and the Americans that are left.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

My point was addressing the few different sets of numbers scattered throughout this thread.

The better question here is...what was your point? is someone unaware of the fact that we have troops scattered throughout the world?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Uh "tens of thousands of Iraqis dead"

Isn't it more like 1.5 million?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
Many Americans who oppose the war efforts are relieved and joyous because of this event, but I'm here to say that there exists no one happier than the insurgents who've been waiting for this day to come.

I'm grateful that my son is out of that hell hole Semper fi!

There are many Americans who are over there to help the Iraqis rebuild there country and now they'll become sitting ducks to any anti-American groups that is sure to start coming out of the woodworks.

Nobody here at ATS cares for the good contributions. All they consider is the evil empire aspects.

If anyone thinks it was bad over there with the presence of our troops, wait until you see how bad it'll get without them.

Good, Bad or indifference. That's exactly why we are leaving a police force.

I really feel sorry for the Iraqi people who want a democracy and the Americans that are left.

We wont leave them hanging!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Irregardless.....

Some of us have been and will be willing to PUT IT ON THE LINE!

Yes, PUT IT ON THE LINE!! YEAH!! OOOOOOOOORAAAAH!!!

We civilians do nothing eh? Working and paying taxes to fund those who PUT IT ON THE LINE does not count. When someone cannot feed himself or his family or cannot pay the bills because the prices keep going up, a result of borrowing too much money by the government, he risks nothing. Is that what you are saying?

"PUT IT ON THE LINE" you say it like there is honour in it. Let's face it, its a job. It is no more or less honourable than being any other job.

In fact I have more respect for people who build and create things rather than destroy them.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Hard to get any "official" numbers but it's probably safe to say from 500K to 1.2M. Not to mention a few million who have been displaced and are now living in many other countries...in the Middle East and elsewhere, which in an of itself is presenting challenges and heartache. Just a mess all around. And for what?

Good contributions regarding what, Slayer? We knock it down and then build it back up? Good contributions to some pockets on both ends of that little scenario too.

And please note by saying this I am NOT disrespecting our military. They didn't make the decisions.

[edit on 8/19/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I won't believe this untill I see an uprising of health issues in relation to the war and the soldiers with PTSD. I am registered on a Vet's website where soldiers can "mingle" in a sense of shared experiences. With the return of so many troops this website should be exploding. Only 16 new members joined in the last week so I we are now back at my original statement of PTSD influx's.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Uh "tens of thousands of Iraqis dead"

Isn't it more like 1.5 million?

Ummmmm

NO!

Get real!
I think you have bought into the propaganda.

One death is too many
but it's more like three hundred thousand.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I'm grateful that my son is out of that hell hole Semper fi!

Godspeed to you, your son and the rest of your family. Also Godspeed to the rest of the members of our military and their families.

While it may be a time for celebration, it is not time for rest.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
So some troops are coming back?

Well, I feel truly sorry for them. Hopefully they can try recover from the horrors they've inflicted and the terrible things they've gone through.

The same goes for the Iraqis.

So the war is over?

Really?

So what if a car bomb goes off in Iraq tomorrow, is the war suddenly back on?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
So what if a car bomb goes off in Iraq tomorrow, is the war suddenly back on?

NO!

That's sectarian violence.

Sunni vs Shia, Anybody?

Bueler?

Anyone?

Bueler?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No, if it's aimed at American forces it's not.

Also if you think like that, then in that case the war ended back in 2003 with the whole mission accomplished farce om the aircraft carrier.

So sectarian violence has totally ended then?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Oh no wait, there aren't any American forces in Iraq anymore, are there?

Just 50,000 "advisors."

Give me a break.....

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
No one's controlled sectarian violence very well in Iran for a while now, since oh around 2003 sometime? It's pretty revealing though to look at a map of how the population has shifted on a sectarian basis. That probably has a lot to do with the emigration, eh?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

We still have troops in Germany, South Korea and Japan.
Your point is?....

..oops wrong post

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Phenomium]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Basically the whole thing in Iraq is just a colossal mess. The same goes for Afghanistan.

This whole "the war is over" rubbish is just some attempt to try and paper over the cracks.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join