It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Government homepage for this bill.

The only scare tactics being used are by the OP and the website he got this from.

The headline "Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food" is absolutely false.

I challange anyone to find the wording in this bill that makes this headline true.

As no one will be able to answer my challenge, as there is nothing in the bill to support this headline, I appeal to the mods to change the misleading and false title of this thread.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by craig732]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
NOPE, THE STREETS WILL BE FILLED WITH GUN TOTING CITIZENS oh sorry about the yelling.....we'll fill the streets

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That is exactly the point man, I am glad you put it that way
maybe it didn't happen last tme, maybe it won't happen this time,
but eventually they will get something through.

Like the way "hoarding" is illegal in the patriot act...
thay can just take your stash...what does that leave?

me ,I am learning how to eat out of the bush and off the front lawn...
Pine trees taste not bad, and they have lots of calories and they prevent you from getting scurvy.

but damn, I love a good tomato...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Sorry but Im just chiming in and dont have a whole lot of time to read all the post and look this up. BUT is this something that HAS passed or is it something we can vote on in the near future? Some one??? Anyone??? Please

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghrwilson
Sorry but Im just chiming in and dont have a whole lot of time to read all the post and look this up. BUT is this something that HAS passed or is it something we can vote on in the near future? Some one??? Anyone??? Please

As I understand it, it's been tabled since 2009 - one of the cosponsors was Ted Kennedy if that gives you a time frame.

As far as the dire nature of this topic's title, I can't find anything that affects home grown food; the shame of it is that it will adversely affect small farmers most, I think.

It figures that "Dick" Durban introduced it - if there ever was an aptly named politician, it's gotta be DICK.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by mydarkpassenger]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
who cares what bills they pass. This government is a fraud. Just grow your food and buy guns and when they come to give you hell you give hell back. so seriously who gives a damn what any politician says. These 'people' and I use that term loosely for reptiles like this, just wan't you to die, get used to it.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
sorry double post.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by guyopitz]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is probably the silliest bill ever.

Whoever introduced this bill needs to be fired and barred from any politics at all.

If this bill passes (which it won't) nobody is going to adhere to this bill. They might as well lock up all of America then.

Funny that in the World Wars the government actually encouraged citizens to grow their own food (but for a good reason of course).

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
i don't care how many bills they write, I will grow my own food and defend that trade with my life. Life free or die. They only target the weak, that's why the corrupt cops beat and taser deaf, dumb, and blind victims and not anyone who can defend themselves. I'm annoyed by the tyranny but at the same time I know I don't have to fear it because they are cowards at heart. I dare them to try and mess with me, but I know they won't waste their time on me, they'll instead pick on some handicapped ten year old.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
.... Well, I can't say this is surprising. It's just another thread on ATS that really illustrates that people who think the world is going to end/the government is taking over are just gullible and live off of sensationalism.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

To the mods: I'm not sure what the problem is. Pretty much all news items come from other sites. I provided a link, so I wasn't purporting this was anything other than news I found elsewhere, and in providing the link, I thought it was clear I wasn't plagiarising or anything like that.

Would appreciate knowing what the proper procedure is, please. Thanks

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Dandelions are very nutritious and don't taste bad at all. I might experiment with grass too! Lol!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

The e-coli thing is just a smoke screen. I mean, how many people have suffered from an e-coli outbreak?

How many people will suffer from not being able to access fresh food?

If they are so concerned by people's health, why don't they stop poisoning us with aluminium and barium and other toxins in the air? Why did they use Corexit in the Gulf? Why are Corporations allowed to pollute the seas and waterways with mercury and other deadly substances? Why are they putting poisons in our drinking water?

How many millions are suffering or dying as a result of Big Pharma drugs?

C'mon! The e-coli excuse is a nonsense, as is their pretense that they are concerned for our well being.

They want to kill us.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by wcitizen]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It's happening all over.

Ginger, turmeric and neem declared 'hazardous substances' in Thailand after chemical companies try to protect pesticide profits.

www.sott.net...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm a little confused here, ...

Wasn't the US Federal Government supposedly only given the power to regulate/ police, or whatever, the commerce between states to insure the safety of a product?

The way I read this, they can only regulate commerce, which SHOULD include agriculture "among" the states, not "within" the states.

Article 1 - The Legislative Branch Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Isn't regulating within a state that states power?

I think too much is being read into this, unless our Federal Government is over stepping its powers again.

I believe this is only if commerce, in this case food/agriculture, cross state lines. At least that's the way it SHOULD be.

And if they are, I hope each State will let them know they are overstepping their powers..

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

"They want to own our land, food & water" from Fall of the Republic. Your thread subject affects everyone, and is important to discuss and make others aware of it. It is one more piece in the master plan by the globalist.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

If they pass it,who the heck cares?......

Enforcing it may be a real problem,unless of course,they can convince most of those moo cow sheep idiots out there that that guy with a garden is an evil ,anti-government terrorist type.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

And it is too seldom stated how many people are outright killed by motor vehicles,and all of the pollution generated by their manufacture and use which cause innumerable deaths from all types of disease caused by those pollutants.

Eshrechia Coli is a minor problem compared to all of the junk billowing from all of those exhaust pipes,waste dump pipes,smokestacks,etc...

In fact,I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to blame a weakened immune system from many of those pollutants,making it more difficult to fight off a rather common bacterium.

E.Coli is the only bug that lives in my gut,strange as that may be.I know this from a test I took in college for a course.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by chiponbothshoulders]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

No its not a silly bill Monsanto and a select few other companies some of whom probably contribute to the afforemention politicians campaign coffers want total control over the world seed market and distibution system,there are many third world corrupt countries such as India where they have allready achieved this,farmers must buy there seeds from the seed bank of Monsanto and are not allowed to store or develop their own strains.The large corporations are also trying to destroy the heirloom seed market if they corner the market with genetically modified one generation only seeds then you must buy off them for every crop-its all about total control of the worlds food resources by a select few.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
I'm a little confused here, ...

Wasn't the US Federal Government supposedly only given the power to regulate/ police, or whatever, the commerce between states to insure the safety of a product?

The way I read this, they can only regulate commerce, which SHOULD include agriculture "among" the states, not "within" the states.

Yes, that is my concern with this. I think the OP and his source's headline was misleading at best. It is easy for Section 104 be misinterpreted as relating to an individual's garden and food storage, but I think this bill is directed purely at the food industry.(There may be concern that new regulations under this bill could hurt small and local food providers, but I won't address that now.) However, I did come across this interesting tidbit that relates exactly to the "interstate commerce" Clause. This is an excerpt from section 133 in the H.R. 2749 bill:

‘(ii) In carrying out clause (i), the Secretary may prohibit or restrict the movement within a State or portion of a State of any article of food or means of conveyance of such article of food, if the Secretary determines that the prohibition or restriction is a necessary protection from an imminent threat of serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals.

Apparently, if this bill is passed, the secretary of health and human services would gain the authority to regulate the intrastate commerce of foods if there was a safety concern. And as we all should know, the power to regulate intrastate commerce is not granted to the federal government anywhere in the constitution, meaning the power is left "...respectively to the states or the people..." via the 10th amendment. (Yes, Making this bill unconstitutional, or at least section 133.)

Here's a link to the bill's text from GovTrack.us: H.R. 2749
I think someone linked to a .pdf version of it as well.

I encourage everyone to read into some of the text and find out for themselves before they see some random, misleading or inappropriate headline and start freaking out. These bills can be very very confusing and frustrating and easily misinterpreted. (Perhaps they are written like this on purpose?!? Who knows..)
Perhaps the federal government isn't always acting in the best interest of the people or the country, but not every piece of legislation that is introduced is as horrible and evil as some people seem to want them to be.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join