It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 5741: Mandatory 2 year Service to Federal Government

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
sure, I'll give the government two years mandatory service, but I will only do it if they put me in the CIA for 2 years. That should be enough time to expose all their dirty secrets to the world. Bye bye black ops.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I love how some (sleepy-minded) people try to justify this by saying drafts are allowed. Drafts, yes. Slavery, no. This isn't "Go fight to make sure our country isn't destroyed, soldier." This is "Come clean our offices, peasant." Will they pay us? Maybe... will they pay us with currency that is backed by anything or created by a body with the Constitutional authority to do so? Will they pay us competitive wages for the jobs they put us in? If you answered yes to any of those questions, you are simply not intelligent.

And for the record, if I were forced to spend two years doing mandatory service to my country, I'd offer to spend it rounding up and killing politicians.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
I love how some (sleepy-minded) people try to justify this by saying drafts are allowed. Drafts, yes. Slavery, no. This isn't "Go fight to make sure our country isn't destroyed, soldier." This is "Come clean our offices, peasant." Will they pay us? Maybe... will they pay us with currency that is backed by anything or created by a body with the Constitutional authority to do so? Will they pay us competitive wages for the jobs they put us in? If you answered yes to any of those questions, you are simply not intelligent.

And for the record, if I were forced to spend two years doing mandatory service to my country, I'd offer to spend it rounding up and killing politicians.

good point, if they have a draft, people should demand to be paid in gold, not gold backed paper, not gold plated tungsten, GOLD. I'd like to see the government, I mean federal reserve, try and do that. But sadly, enough people will want to be drafted into the military regardless, so I guess they will get their ready reserve army whether we like it or not.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I think this is a good idea, if you had any respect for your country you would willingly do this through the Job Corps or volunteering. It is the youth of today that cannot accept anything but self gratification due to being raised by idiot parents not caring to teach their own children what it takes to be a great country. I am 33 and would serve no problem since I already volunteer at the local church soup kitchen and Goodwill along with special events like running for March of Dimes, local churches and other activities. By the way I am not religious but feel that anyone helping the needy is ok in my book and will help out when I can.
Many countries in the world call on everyone from their country to serve in some way and if this is really made for everyone then I am all for it. The people that ask for a pass or say this is so bad are only selfish babies that could not work one day anyhow and reminds me of war hawks that never served in the military but want us to go to war with any country that does not hold all our views as their own. I think everyone that does not believe to help their own country is as bad a illegals living off the fat of the US and not wanting to contribute by way of taxes.
All the naysayers that think this is slavery, what have you done for your country lately? You talk a good talk but can you walk the walk or do you want a pass like our last Presidents and skip out on military service for a "flat foot" or "educational needs"
I would ask you to question yourself and decide if this is a bad bill for "you" or for the "US". I think this is a great bill and hope to see it signed because it would strengthen the US as each and every person would have a stake in keep our country strong and puts some people to work that have been unemployed for a long time.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
And this is a bad thing?

How many kids don't have any idea of what to do with their lives?
How many kids could we keep from becomming gang bangers or drug dealers?

Time we use some of our resources to help out the country instead of being a bunch of whiney little bitches.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
plummeting deeper down the rabbit hole:

(a) Examination- Every person subject to induction under this title shall, before induction, be physically and mentally examined and shall be classified as to fitness to perform national service.

Now take a look at the added costs in the new health care legislation for having a pre existing condition. In my opinion this could be a way of forcing masses to be evaluated and forced under the pre-existing clause and transferring incredible amounts of money to the corrupt system while putting the largest group of people, who could actually fight against such tyranny, under control of the federal government.

Brilliant scheme for those evil SOB's

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
They have been trying to get similar legislation like this passed since 1987

Other Legislation with the Same Title

The list below shows legislation in this and previous sessions of Congress that had the same title as this bill. Often bills are incorporated into other omnibus bills, and you may be able to track the status of provisions of this bill by looking for an omnibus bill below. Note that bills may have multiple titles.
110th Congress: H.R. 393Dead
109th Congress: H.R. 2723Dead
109th Congress: H.R. 4752Dead
108th Congress: S. 89Dead
108th Congress: H.R. 163Failed House ()
102nd Congress: H.R. 2681Dead
100th Congress: H.R. 2225Dead

www.govtrack.us...

Rangel specifically has been going at this for a while and his proposals have never made it out of committee. However, given the legislation that has skirted through since our new POTUS took the helm, this could actually stand a chance. Furthermore, just look at the threats that we are currently facing right now.
We have active forces in two combat theaters.
We have increasing tensions with Iran and North Korea.
We have a serious southern border threat that many believe could be easily exploited by the Qods Forces who are now stationed in great numbers in Venezuela.

Not to mention the potential threat of domestic civil unrest. Everything just seems to be building on block at a time.

Additionally, Obama signed HR 1388 The Serve America Act into law in April 2009. Contained in this particular law are nuggets such as these.

Section 1806 -
Establishes a National Service Reserve Corps of individuals who have completed a term of national service or are veterans and are interested in being deployed, for 30-day periods, in response to national disasters and emergencies. Requires the Corporation to develop or contract for the development of a database of all National Service Reserve Corps members and all nonprofit organizations designated to participate in the program.

Section 1506-
Expands the National Civilian Community Corps’ mission to include projects on energy conservation, environmental stewardship or conservation, infrastructure improvement, urban and rural development, or disaster preparedness needs.

www.govtrack.us...

Basically, nothing surprises me any longer. The lame ducks are vulnerable and dangerous right now that they are being backed into a corner. They must strike while the nation is distracted on multiple fronts and while the Dems. still have super majority status. When HR 1388 passed no one even noticed because of everything else that was going on at the time.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I'm a bit surprised people were caught off guard with this one.

He said he'd be doing this during his campaign for Presidency. However, the age-range is much greater than I thought it would be, when he first hinted at this when running.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think we should be obligated to do something to contribute to our society. While I don't think being forced into potentially life threatening positions is acceptable, i.e. military. I do think that having military training as being your 2 year option would not be a big deal.

It all comes back to what exactly they want you to do. I am 18 and if I got a letter stating that they are telling me I have to join the army I'm going to say, "Screw that I'm going to Cuba." But if I got a letter telling me I had to do some other form of public service I would of course be irritated that I am FORCED to do something but it is a good thing.

Per se this bill was to be passed this year and enacted, it did not say that they will not force you out of college. They can't force you out of High School but they can force you out of College and I don't like that idea.

And if I can vouch for the young crowed I'm sure they won't like me saying this but young people today, about 80%, are spoiled little brats that contribute nothing to society and expect to just get. My parents were poor so I learned that if I wanted money I had to earn it, try going to school without new clothes in the 8th grade. That taught me to work for money, it's not handed to you.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
And this is a bad thing?

How many kids don't have any idea of what to do with their lives?
How many kids could we keep from becomming gang bangers or drug dealers?

Time we use some of our resources to help out the country instead of being a bunch of whiney little bitches.

I'll answer your questions.

To the first question, Almost all, that's why they're "kids"

To the second question, none, cause gang bangers want to be gang bangers, not serve their country. And drug dealers can still make a hell of a lot more cash dealing drugs.

Time we use some brain cells and realize the Govt. can't fix attitudes and the Govt. doesn't give people purpose in life. That never was or ever will be what the purpose of the Govt is or should be. At least in my country. We are not here to serve the Govt, they are here to serve the people. And I believe in liberties given to us by our creator (god or universe whatever you belive), that trumps any man made law. If you don't like that, that's the foundation of this country, if you disagree, don't come here. If you are already here, there's the door. Have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This really is a forced labor type affair and it would damage generations to come in a lot of senses. I presume that the indivivual has no choice in when he is pulled into this, I'd think most peoples 18th birthday would be their worst day. But, what about collage? what about universities, gap years and traveling the world? The fact is, this is a good idea, and a bad idea. A government service, if it is like a national guard type affair but they help in natural disasters, rebuild towns, dig wells in poor areas etc, then its good. However, if its forced, nothing good will come of this, and if you arm them... your going to have a couple of million hormonal seriously pissed off teenagers running around with guns and getting military training, what could go wrong huh?

Keep the idea but change sme areas, make it a group, a force, of people who help others with rebuilding efferts etc, and make it volentary with an ok pay, yuou'd be suprised how many people would join...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
With their track record they dont deserve my service. Im no longer the proud american i use to be as a child. Im all for creating a better community but u better clean up the system before we become workhorses for it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I think we should be obligated to do something to contribute to our society.

I contribute to society every day. I call it work. Who is anyone to tell me what i do, the work i choose to do with my LIBERTY, isn't a great SERVICE to country. The congress?, Obama?. I don't think so.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by elcapitano75]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
accidental double post sorry

[edit on 27-7-2010 by elcapitano75]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Where would we be if people never served their country? Gosh I don't know...

Our country is alive today because there is a proud line of people going far back in time who decided that service to country was critical to our survival. When has a president not appealed to the American people to serve their country or community in some form? I can see many good things that could come out of such a bill. Would it require careful supervision? d'uh of course.

Maybe when everyone has a vested interest in our country we will see more people get off their fat, apathetic butts and DO something, you know like get involved in their system of goverment

By the way I served 4 years active USN and 2 years inactive reserve.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
Now, I don't agree witht the wars that we are in right now. But, I do agree with having a strong military. Again, if you enjoy living in freedom (such as it is) then what is wrong with contributing a little something to that freedom.

Seeashrink

Yeah, a strong military force never hurt anybody.

Well, except that time with Germany in the late 1930s. And then there was that whole failure of the Soviet Union thing. Oh, and the fact that Iraq (one of the most advanced and best trained military forces at the time) tried to invade Kuwait. Oh, and the whole Iraq/Iran thing before that. And of course that little Pakistan/India fiasco that went down. Oh, let's not forget about Korea or Vietnam. Oh, or about Sudan and about a 1/3 of the "strong" militias in Africa that want to ethnically purge half the continent.

You know, except those ... a strong military is a great idea. Oh ... um, well ... except when some arrogant idiot like George W. Bush gets a hold of a title like "Commander in Chief" and struts around claiming to be a "War President" and aggressively invades two countries on known false pretenses.

You know, except for those examples.

Oh no ... I forgot to mention Israel. There's them. Oh, and Serbia ....

Hmmm ... on second thought ... maybe a strong military isn't such a great idea. Maybe it only allows those with weak minds to feel "powerful" and flex their muscles on the weaker countries that defy their agenda.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat

Our country is alive today because there is a proud line of people going far back in time who decided that service to country was critical to our survival. When has a president not appealed to the American people to serve their country or community in some form? I can see many good things that could come out of such a bill. Would it require careful supervision? d'uh of course.

Maybe when everyone has a vested interest in our country we will see more people get off their fat, apathetic butts and DO something, you know like get involved in their system of goverment

By the way I served 4 years active USN and 2 years inactive reserve.

maybe when the government stops supporting criminal banking institutions, the Americans would be more likely to serve their country.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by coolhanddan

if you were willing to do this, you could do it through the job corps or volunteering or the national guard, but this isn't about doing it willingly, it's about doing it unwillingly.

link   

Originally posted by Helmkat

Our country is alive today because there is a proud line of people going far back in time who decided that service to country was critical to our survival.

That's exactly right. They decided. Today, some people decide to be cops, fire fighters, military. They decide, let's keep it that way, shall we?

link   

reply to post by filosophia

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join