It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 5741: Mandatory 2 year Service to Federal Government

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The only way this thing will succeed, is if the American people let it. ALL OF US need to quit taking what our lovely government dishes out for us. I remember Obama talking about this 2 years of service agenda when he was running for office. This is the type of thing that should anger every American after reading this proposal. In the end we can only speak for ourselves, and I can say they won't have me serving any damn 2 years of mandatory service. If I wanted to serve my country under my own free will than that is up to me. I hope there are enough people out there who feel the same. I must admit though, something like this.... I kinda hope in the back of my head that its all B.S. and nothing more.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
To be allowed to vote in this country the following criteria should have to be met.
1. A person must serve at least 2 yrs. in the service of the country be it in the military, or governmental public service.
2. you must pay at least one dollar more in taxes than you have received in benifits from the federal dole.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy
Massive over-reaction on the part of some people in this thread.

Rangel proposed this to drive home the point that his cohorts in Congress are all too eager to send OTHER people's kids off to die in war. His purpose in presenting this bill, and others like it, is to force Congress to look at what they are doing every time they re-up the funding for the wars.

I, for one, wholeheartedly support his effort. This has no chance of passing - but he is trying to open their eyes to the true cost of war.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by atlguy]

I understand the desire "to open their eyes to the true cost of war". We don't need to send everyone to die in needless wars to accomplish that.

All Charlie Rangle needs to do "to open their eyes to the true cost of war" is enforce the provision that congress shall have the sole authority to declare war. He and others in congress are not doing their job. If a war is not worth congressional declaration then it is not worth fighting.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I maybe slammed for my views, but you tell me what is so wrong with spending two years out of your lives in the service of the country you live in.
Shame on you for not wanting to serve.

Many countries require this form of service, so why do you think you are so much better, or have more rights.

It does not say you will go to war, there are other options, to help support, and or defend the very rights you all seem so content to enjoy without any effort on your part...

If I were of age, I would serve for two years, and glad of the chance. Being disabled, I might be put behind a desk filing papers, but I would love the serve the country I love and so should you.

Be Well

RKL

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
SEC. 102. NATIONAL SERVICE OBLIGATION.

(a) Obligation for Service- It is the obligation of every citizen of the United States, and every other person residing in the United States, who is between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform a period of national service as prescribed in this title unless exempted under the provisions of this title.

The part in bold is what makes me nervous. "and every other person residing in the United States" this would make it mandatory for those "displaced foreign workers" to also serve in the obarmy. Look at that a whole new batch of cannon fodder that this time isn't of African descent.

It also puts into question the fate of my niece and nephew, both Canadian citizens, living in the states with their dad.

Btw: I am not opposed to the idea of conscription. As an ex-soldier I think that every citizen should serve his country if he loves his freedom. My objection is that the wording implies that even foreign nationals may be called against their will to serve in a country to which they hold no loyalty.
Never a good scenario when you count on soldiers who aren't committed to your cause.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by palg1]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

"Rangel introduces this bill in EVERY CONGRESS."

Dear people of New York, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MINDS? You continue to re-elect him? I'm not sure when the massive amount of '___' was dropped into the 15th districts water supply, but apparently it happened. How can you listen to Rangel speak, look at his record, and continue to vote for him? Is he really the best option you have? I hope he doesn't resign. I hope he goes to trial, is thrown out, and I know it's way to much to ask for, serves prison time.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

The same goes for Christopher Dodd, Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi, and a slew of others. Are these polititians truly representative of their people? It scares me to death that this could be the case.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Actually, whenever you join the US Military, you are signing for LIFE. Most people, either don't know this, or refuse to accept it. Once in the military, YOU can be recalled, anytime, for as long as necessary.
Is anybody, seeing Thomas jefferson's point, about the dangers of a standing army, now?
I would have NO PROBLEM, if Every able-bodied person, served 18 months, of military basic training, after high school- as long as it was the Swiss model- and they became life-long MILITIA members, issued ammo, and a firearm, and required to practice, and prove efficiency, on a regular basis. THEN, they could be given Franchise- NOT before!

link   
Of course this isn't the first time we've seen this bill or something like it. That's because it hasn't passed... yet...

You know the totalitarian tip toe requires they follow the "if at first you don't succeed, reword it and try, try again" mantra.

Either way, the power is ours to comply or not. The can be no master where there are no slaves.

I believe in local militia, I even believe in an honest military, but without an honest government at the helm I must draw the line, and in so doing, not serve their interests and not comply with such lunacy.

link   
Rangle keeps putting this up as a way to "clean" up Harlem! I saw him on some program on BET a couple years ago touting this idea. He feels it will decrease the black on black crime and give young African American men a different view of life. Whether or not that is a good idea, I will let those far wiser than I debate.

I do not however feel that to take a man or woman of an age over 30 when they are raising and supporting their families out of the home for a two year period is reasonable! That is outrageous!

There is something to be said about young people spending some time serving their country, it is good for them to see outside their little box. My main issue with this is the POTUS seems to be the one calling ALL THE SHOTS, (perhaps literally) with this little force.

A very tricky issue indeed!

link   
I think it is a good idea. It will decrease unemployment, get the gangs off the street doing useful things, and will create useful projects like reparin/replacing our infrastructure.

People need structure and work and many people have nothing to do.

It should also decrease the numbers on welfare and SSI.

It is only an extension of what Kennedy tried to do with the PeaceCorps and AmeriCorps.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It would be silly to try to perpetrate this law.
Our young ones love video games too much.
Just because they love call of duty on xbox does not mean they are itching to go out and kill Taliban or anyone else for that matter.
If something like this was to be passed, there would most likely be revolt, a clash between those who see past the curtain and those with the curtain wrapped around their forehead and eyes.
People are too smart to be drafted.
Either that or they are too amused be E holly wood tonight.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

I take it you are not between 18 and 42. If you are, you'd better get out of your gang, get off unemployment and sign up for this slavery program immediately.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
So the government is going to force us to have military training, and thereby provide everyone the skills, discipline, and social contacts necessary to organise an uprising-armed Revolution?
Needless to say I have mixed feelings!!! I will support the governments plan if the revolution can promise us functional democracy.

The government is looking to 1950’s solutions to pacify a population who’s public opinion is being frequently ignored, in almost every political direction (except towards the left-liberal ones)!!
America got involved with world war two, in spite of the fact that both candidates (in the previous election) had respected public opinion by promising against it. America got involved with WW2 mainly because their population was pursuing policies which would have led too great an abundance of wealth, too great a middle class (the type who have historically always accelerated political change against any self-serving political ellites)

However hopefully these “solutions” in 2010 will be nothing but a useful catalysis towards DemoRep’s downfall.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
May this Roman scum fall in the hands of the barbarians!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Wow, conscription to be a war fighter? That was not my idea. I'm all for community service but not world domination.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
Rangle keeps putting this up as a way to "clean" up Harlem! I saw him on some program on BET a couple years ago touting this idea. He feels it will decrease the black on black crime and give young African American men a different view of life. Whether or not that is a good idea, I will let those far wiser than I debate.

This makes it clear to me that Rangle wants black people dead. That's what he means with 'cleaning' up Harlem. A different view of life could be given to people by...I don't know...not pushing them into drugdealing? Not brainwashing them with BET? Not having them in contact with violence every single day?

But to go on BET, a notorious station that destroys culture, and call for people to join the ranks...

...worth a trial and jailtime in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Are we sure that this is actual? When I pull up HR 5741, I get the Shark Conservation act...
www.govtrack.us...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

Ha Ha Ha Ha! I am retired.

However, Much of the country has 10% or more unemployment, especially amoung those in their late teens and early 20's. I think Obama is looking for ways to create jobs.

I have been told that the military is flooded with applicants, so much so, that the Coast Guard is only accepting college graduates. I have friends who have kids that are dropping out of college because they can't afford it, and those who have kids with college degrees but are working part-time waiting tables or making fast food.

At least Obama has a plan.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Again folks, this is more than a military draft - this is COMPULSORY SERVICE!!! The very thing Obama campaigned on.

You can read all about it right here:

America Serves
OBama's Call for Service
Campaign Speech Video
Obama to Boost National Service Programs

How quickly some of you forget and how rapidly the supporters begin dissembling and obfuscating the facts!

This is much more than a military draft, this is a requirement for you to serve your country - aka involuntary servitude which, by the way, is against the 13th Ammendment of the Constitution of The United States of America!

Furthermore, all of this nonsense supporting a service mandate is bovine excrement! I work full-time, pay taxes, raise my children to be productive members of society, participate in my community, buy American whenever possible, frequent the small businesses in my community etc... In other words, I SERVE MY COUNTRY every fekking day of my life!!! I will NOT tolerate some politician telling me how to spend my time - EVER!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join