It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the light saber be made?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Warhappy

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
According to the laws of phisics, it is not possible to make a light bladed melee weapon. However there is an alternative. Using a noble gas like helium for a base plasma in a dynamic, expanding state, the effect would be the same. Having a specially metered amount of the plasma and running a brief electric current through itWould give you the "extending blade". to make the blade retract, you would have to rob the initial charge away. You would actually only require the power from a 9 volt battery to give it the initial charge. the only problem that you would run into during the construction is containing the collapsed plasma. The heat would melt anything that you could contain it in. Given some new alloy or element yet undiscovered, it would be possible to create a plasma bladed sword that functioned exactly like the light sabers in the movies.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
A light saber turned into a razor would be good.
Now that'd be a smooth shave.
Probably not so good if your into shaving your stones.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taishyou
I don't know about making light sabres but you definitely can't have light sabre fights. The beams just pass right through each other. It'd be like fighting with flashlights

Besides, what if your opponent is carrying a mirror?

[edit on 4-4-2006 by Taishyou]

Well if the lightsaber "Tube" was made of one way mirror material it would contain the laser/light causing it to bounce in every direction inside the tube while you see a brilliant glowing tube from the outside.

If it was a material also sensitive to heat and cold it could control the expansion and retraction of the material containing the light assuming you created enough friction in it to do so.

By the heating of the material if you could get it hot enough to cut through something I think the real question becomes then is it possible to create a material like this?

Oh wait I got it, just spray it with starlight assuming you can get your hands on it.

Here's a link for the starlight stuff.

www.freerepublic.com...

Edit: Actually you could only spray it on the outside if you did the inside it wouldn't expand lol...

Then again if you did the outside then you couldn't cut with it dang it well that idea's shot

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Darthorious]

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Darthorious]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

It is posable all you need is a mirored glass the bounce the bean to build up heat, and then in theory it could cut stuff.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Hypothetically, if you could alter gravity around the "blade" of the weapon, you could contain the energy blade. You would also have to figure out a way to alter the mass of the energy blade, but if it's contained in its own gravity field, it's probably feasible. This gravity field around the energy, would be similar to a force field, and as such, would not allow penetration by outside forces, therefore being seemingly "solid".

Granted, not only does the science not exist yet, the hardware technology doesn't either.

[edit on 11/22/2008 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
i do believe that no a light sabre cannot be made there is no way to hold the beam of light although i do reckon that we are on the right track with the beam katanas from the wii game no more heroes !!
happy thinking!!
tom walters 10 h churchdown school england

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
MasterMatt

I have a solution to the containment problem. You could have a laser-resistant pole (hopefully metalic 1-2cm diameter) going up throught the middle of the blade with a resistant sharp top or lid to kepp th laser from moving any further. This also solves the problem of the blade not being as heavy as a sword. As for powering the device itself, either a supersmall nuclear battery or an electro-magnetic one. As for the rest, interior wiring, crystals, exterior plating and buttons; it has already been done in the replica lightsabers and even the toy ones. Although speculation is required for the crystal(diamond, quartz, emerald) because few are strong enough to concentrate the energy.
Hope these ideas help you to make the first lightsabers!
PS And be sure to give me one if i haven't already made one!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jonna

um it is possible Mind ove matter

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Two words, Anti Matter...

or the way i've always thought might just work, have an extending conductor rod when active that has harmonic voltage patterns (use oscillator and research tesla a lot.) and bounce from crystal for frequency eg colour, mace windu has purple which is highest visible light wavelength therefore cuts best until invis and thats not the point. OR same idea add a gas that will assume plasma form in voltage pattern field, heck of alot of waste gas though.

So, you need the hilt, the reflector, crystal and harmonic voltage circuit, and conducting extend like an aerial rod part, and a button
or anti matter.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
We have the techknowlegy to build lightsabers just the feild needed to contain the energy blade is way to big and covers our army bases. As for the power cells the army has cells small enough to fit in the hilt but they are millions of dollars. As for crystals? any crystal will do it doesnt take a specific gem to run a lightsaber it just has to be cut the right way.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Ok to everyone here saying no you obviously didnty watch star wars tech.... A light saber is possible by combining plasma and a magnetic fieldthe only problem however is the power source to combind these to would be the size of a building as technology advances that should hopefully change.... and tyhen i can have my light saber and go around severing peoples limbs

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
True, a light saber doesnt use a laser or light. It would consist of a plasma field held by a magnetic field. A "tube" would simply break on contact. SMASH...shattered glass.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

well im glad i wasnt the only one who watched star wars tech it was pretty interesting actualy they also talked about creating a death star

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker9991

I remember that special well. They even showed a lab experiment and made a bluish/purple saber like beam using plasma and a very strong magnetic field to contain it.

But as you pointed out, as did the special, the equipment needed to create that 3 foot long plasma saber took up an entire warehouse sized laboratory and thousands of connecting cables.

The death star part was interesting, and could be done and practical with the right technology.

The program also described how the land speeders might work, using a planet's natural magnetic properties and repulse those magnetic fields to make the land speeder hover over the ground. It also mentioned not all planets would have the same magnetic intesities and the land speeder would self adjust to still work.

It was a very cool look into Star Wars tech! Just as intriquing as the movies themselves.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 17-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Imagine, one day there could be ads like this:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
all joking aside though you know how many people would not have arms if lightsabers were real ... weightless blades would be really hard to learn to control... and also every nerd running around thinking there a jedi would add to the loss of limbs

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

When we fully understand how to create a laser beam in in which immediately turns matter into carbon on contact, we would be able to make a light saber. I am yet to have seen anything more than very primitive laser weaponry, such as the kind being used against police in the Georgia riots.

Perhaps similar devices could be made in a more simple way. How about a flame-throwing, steel melting, flame thrower sword?

[edit on 12/18/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Easier said then done..... You need 3 things. A power supply with tromendous ammounts of power, Some kind of highly precise plasma or laser beam, And some kind of gravity machine.

So heres how you do it: You take Unupentium 115 radioactive element shield it inside a ummm copper casing with metalic interior shielding. You take the plasma device and point it towards 3 or 4 reflective diamonds. And in the center you activate a gravity device in the center that act to bend the light back and to reflect it in continuous loop.

Et voila one light saber...... (hehehe yeah right!!! huhuhuhu )

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join