It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the light saber be made?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
i'd say that in a galaxy far far away that lol evrything would be there lightsabers anti grav and lazer rifels (parden my spelling) but still it wouldnt be a lightsaber more of a photon beam lol or plasma

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
In case anyone here didn't go to the website I posted a couple months ago here it is. LIGHT SABERS HAVE BEEN MADE, it a new name but same concept. Case closed, know all you have to do is make one.

US Special Forces Field-Testing Plasma Knife

Emergency medical care for soldiers wounded on the battlefield has come a long way since Hawkeye and Hot Lips. But for Special Forces troopers operating deep behind enemy lines, that care often remains out of reach. Blood loss in particular makes seconds count, and imperils commandos operating far away from friendly bases. To help with the problem of blood loss from traumatic wounds, the military has started field-testing a device more Mandalorian than M.A.S.H.: a plasma knife. The knife, whose blade consists of heated, ionized gas, cuts through flesh just as easily a steel scalpel, but also cauterizes the wound. By sealing off the damaged flesh, the plasma knife protects against infection, and stops the bleeding that imperils the wounded soldier. Think the crispy stump of Luke's severed hand, and you'll get the picture. For now, the plasma blade remains a life-saving device, not a weapon. But I think it goes without saying that we all look forward to the day when the military converts this technology into a more elegant weapon, for a more civilized time

Article

Light Saber a.k.a plasma knife

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
No i think lets limit it to hollywood...

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Pajjikor

Nice link there, I have heard scientist say that it could NEVER be done, but after seeing your link maybe thats not quite the case.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I made one, so did my apprentice.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth Griff

The day the lightsaber gets invented is the day I invest all of my money into the Artificial Limb Industry.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Plasma is the way to go IMO. Why not use the electro magnetic attraction to limit the length of the blade. It works something like this.

A charged particle is accellerated and shot out away from the centre of the handle. A circular receptor with an attractive charge prevent the charged particle from flying further than a set distance and it returns falls back to the handle forming a circuit. The charged particle is then accellerated and shot out again the charged particle is in a high energy state (temperature) performing the cutting action. The electric current making up the flow of the charged particles creates its own magnetic field which gives the blade appearance of being solid.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan
The containment of the light would be a problem as mentioned, but think if you made one, you could have a 1 km killer one though. You swing it around and take out half the block... ha ha

THAT! is rock and roll and leads to plan B.

We mount such weapons on the tops of tanks and humvees.

This of course does not exclude mounted turrets and helicopters.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Just thinking outside the box,
couldnt a 'form' of light sabre be constructed using the same principles of a taser?
Not using light/laser
but using voltage, multiple current paths?
The insulator from the handle to swords end could be dual edged, sharpened, and the battery backpack or beltpack would supply enough voltage to cauterize or shock.
Sounds more plausible at the current (no pun intended) state of technology.
I wouldnt want hit with it.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
i personally believe that the light saber cannot be made, unless you can make a type of fiber optic that floats a specified length from the handle, that produces a laser ray that is strong enough to cut through and object easily. then again you could maybe have the fiber optic attached to the handle until lossened. it can float and reflect the laser that is produced. as for a producing device we have the basic machine for that, we just need to be able to make the laser ray reach critical temperature and power in less than a second. without the antigravitational fiber optic the best we can make is a laser that fires a beam at a person.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
/Cast lvl3 thread necromancy.

I just had a great thought about the concept of the lightsaber mechanics.

We have all been thinking about how you would limit its length. We all know that magnetic feild lines can make some crazy shapes... weve seen it in CMEs and nebula... What if the shape of the magnetic field is self limiting? Instead of makeing it a BEAM think of the flow of energy like a elongated torus. now you just need to contain the other shorter but stable half of the torus in the handle. Anyway had to get it out of my head.

edit on 15-1-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
lightsabers come on now

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I think it is possible to make a working light saber. It would not function in quite the same way as within the movies, but it can be done.

If somehow you could get an electromagnetic crop circle maker from a UFO (yes they exist imho), such as a microwave weapon from some militarized space group, and miniaturize it into a stick projection device, and then light the air inside its controlled area on fire, you'd get something similar to a light saber. To keep it from beaming outwards into infinity, make the light taper at the end, canceling itself out like a flame top. That means a frequency, giving you variable length light sabers.

It would involve electromagnetism, which might explain why in star wars, these Force peoples don't carry a lot of metal on them. You'd think with all their special abilities, why couldn't they get laser beams shooting from their hands or eyeballs? Or just have one giant beaming propeller spinning around them all the time, cutting through all obstacles? I'm missing the point: yes it is possible.

I'm thinking something like a jacob's ladder of design, but watch out: if you get two of them you may open an Einstein-Rosenberg bridge and open a heat signature to travel through time... and potentially out of range of the fight, which may be more intelligent in the long run. Saves your hands from being amputated, get it?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyIvan

theres nothing that impossible. if you imagine it, it can be done, and im not being a smarta55. Can it be done now? here? probably not yet, but its definitely not impossible.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Todays new plasma cutters to cut metal now have a circuit allowing you to turn the gas into a plasma.....before getting near what you want to cut.

You can push the button and have a plasma torch to wave around....

I'd say it's 100% possible to have a handheld device that would release a gas out, turn it into a plasma with high voltage.
You could probably build your own device for about $10,000, but it would only have a plasma "blade" of 1 foot long.....but it's a start.

You'd have to find out what gasses give you the best plasma "blade" with the least energy.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Todays new plasma cutters to cut metal now have a circuit allowing you to turn the gas into a plasma.....before getting near what you want to cut.

You can push the button and have a plasma torch to wave around....

I'd say it's 100% possible to have a handheld device that would release a gas out, turn it into a plasma with high voltage.
You could probably build your own device for about $10,000, but it would only have a plasma "blade" of 1 foot long.....but it's a start.

You'd have to find out what gasses give you the best plasma "blade" with the least energy.

Its called a torch.
if you need fuel for it, it just doesnt cut it... xD

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
OK so here we go. first lets start by removing the preconceptions everyone here seems to have. We all know where our dreams started, and we should also know that this was conceptual at the time. I am a firm believer that everything can be achieved no matter how crazy and abstract. So I would like to challenge the idea the light has anything to do with it, and in-fact nothing, other then aesthetics has nothing to do with it. This is funny because I haven't seen a single post that seems to even come close. ok, ok, so I believe the first most basic light sabor, will have a few limitations, but would achieve most of the requirement, but some very important ones. This light sabor has a three foot length give or take a few inches and a width of 1 mm so maybe you would use multiple waves on the same hilt. The correct name would be microwave induced plasma sword. When turned on a plasma beam would be created along the length of the microwave beam. Depending on the frequency, you could change the color, temperature, and size. The plasma can only exist within the confines of the microwave, which is one meter long by 1 mm apart. It would be larger then traditional idea of a light sabor, and because of power consumption and limitations of modern batteries it would probably still need to be plugged in. and the first one would probably resemble the first computer, in its size and capabilities. This technology will lead to the first handheld life threatening light sabor.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
microwave is 1 meter by 1 mm, and when fire is introduced it created plasma. so you have it, and no parallel world would come of two hitting each other.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join