It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure

Originally posted by Gromle
reply to post by nixie_nox

Isn't it requirement that police officer can swim decently? Here in Norway you wont make it into the police academy unless you can swim a given distance in a given time.

Originally posted by nixie_nox
And police receive how much water rescue training?

So you want someone who can't even dog paddle to jump in so now fire and rescue has to rescue 2 or 3 people?

You want to hear something sad? Our academy actually cut out the rescue swimming training as of 1/13/07 so the last 3 classes have had NO TRAINING whatsoever...

Secure

We had an 8 hour training block for rescue swimming and current manipulation. These days fire departments get ALL the funds and responsibility for rescue. Luckily I love to swim and have my diver cert...so I'll come in for you, AFTER I lose my duty belt...lol

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Seriously. People make assumptions about these officers. Im currently being trained to go into the EMS field, and I have no doubt that the officers receive this very same instruction. If we see someone who is drowning, as an EMT I would not jump in and try to save him. UNLESS I have that training, and that is specifically my job. Otherwise you get in trouble. And I have no doubt that cops are told the same.

Then do not take tax payers money period.....

Is it right to let someone die???

I understand that you do not become a casualty yourself, but if you take the tax payers money then you had better become a moral master....

Danger is part of the job.... Deal with it... Or let unique individual people die.... Who paid your wage too... Or is courage extinct?? Tossers!!

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

You do know why the FD is getting all the good stuff don't you?

You should see the money they are bringing into California. You have fire codes all written out. You get plans all set for a site and boom, in the middle of the job the FD changes their mind. Change it all. Then, you get a different inspector from the FD come in from the last one, tells you to change it from the last inspector.

You need to make a new division for the LEO's. Make a Police Department division that has building codes in mind. Make it law to require elaborate security systems. Then you can get in on the whole construction industry and housing industry.

Bucks baby!

[edit on 5/12/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
We had an 8 hour training block for rescue swimming and current manipulation. These days fire departments get ALL the funds and responsibility for rescue. Luckily I love to swim and have my diver cert...so I'll come in for you, AFTER I lose my duty belt...lol

I went to a YMCA lifeguard class...nothing but the best lol

Secure

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975

The main issue is NOT just these officers.....its PEOPLE everywhere....people EVERYWHERE refuse to help others.

In this instance the Officers admitted to trying to hold back the crowd pf people.

Holding them back from what? Trying to help.

The only people refusing to help and actively trying to stop others from helping were the government stooges that the British think are cops.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Are you a cop or firefighter or rescue worker? If not I don't get your little rant. Do you PUT YOURSELF in a position to be the first on scene to make that decision everytime something bad happens to people? Do you put yourself in a positions to make the decisions that will save or lose a life, including your own? Are you willing RIGHT NOW to leave your home and NOT come home for someone you do not know?

So many are willing to sit behind a desk and say MANY things...but NEVER lift a finger to put themselves in the position to act on what they say........people have the right to say anything they want, they can call me every name in the book and make some up along the way...but until I see your boots on the ground next to me and understand the decisions that have to be made are on YOUR shoulders....talking on ATS is your only contribution....and it shouldn't be.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
In this instance the Officers admitted to trying to hold back the crowd pf people.

Holding them back from what? Trying to help.

The only people refusing to help and actively trying to stop others from helping were the government stooges that the British think are cops.

As I said I wasn't there so I don't know what all took place or the situation, but I am proud of the teens and if the cops truly did nothing just because they felt it wasn't their duty...I too am upset with that....the cops AND people should of done all they could of TOGETHER....I agree.

I just know there ARE many times where holding people back or stopping them IS the smart thing to do...was this one of them...not idea...I am in Georgia, to far for me to get a good view.

I do agree the cop telling the people or media "its not their job" is stupid to an extent, but again, what are ALL the details of the situation...thats my only question.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
Just from the quote of the officer saying it's not the responsibility of the police... ugh

It may not be a "responsibility" or "in your job description" but helping save someone's life while they're drowning in front of you should be a given.

It's sad they're called human beings.

Quite true. I don't know how the law differs in the UK compared to the US, but if you're in the US and you allow someone to get hurt/attacked (etc...) in front of you or if you're just witnessing it from across the street (like a mugging or something) and it's proven you did nothing to help, you will get arrested/fined for doing so.

So for the police to sit there and do nothing is just sad... even if there was only a 10 percent chance of saving the person drowning you should feel compelled to help try to save them - I know I would. I wouldn't even second guess myself, I'd just go into auto mode and help my fellow human.

Police suck, all of them. Never met a good one in my life, and I've met a lot of them from all over. I think MAYBE at most 5% of police officials are legit, the rest are crap. Maybe it's even less than that.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by Miraj

Seriously. People make assumptions about these officers. Im currently being trained to go into the EMS field, and I have no doubt that the officers receive this very same instruction. If we see someone who is drowning, as an EMT I would not jump in and try to save him. UNLESS I have that training, and that is specifically my job. Otherwise you get in trouble. And I have no doubt that cops are told the same.

Then do not take tax payers money period.....

Is it right to let someone die???

I understand that you do not become a casualty yourself, but if you take the tax payers money then you had better become a moral master....

Danger is part of the job.... Deal with it... Or let unique individual people die.... Who paid your wage too... Or is courage extinct?? Tossers!!

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Yissachar1]

There are certain people for drownings.. That's not the police. Personally, If I was a police officer I would have done it. I'm not going into law enforcement though. But I don't blame the police here. Because they're very likely not to do it because they're told not to, if they don't have the training. Now.. If these officers had the training and were told they were allowed (and supposed to) then I would blame them.

But I bet they didn't.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Good job students...
Shame for police...

How can a officer say he's not going because of his job. IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR JOB! Just dive and go rescue her! She is dieing!!!!!

Oh well.. atleast she's alive, thanks god!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

As a youngster, I was instructed by my parents to always call the fire dept. incase of ANY emergency because they would respond promptly and were better trained than the Sheriff's dept or the local LEOs.

It's a sad situation when you can't trust local law enforcement to help and actually "Serve and Protect"

I am a law abiding citizen, pay my taxes and actually fear law enforcement because of the conversations I overhear in the gym where I attend that is also attended by many LEOs. They refer to ordinary citizens and not just lawbreakers as "pukes" the "we/they" attitude is very apparent.

There should be a citizens review board working in conjunction with internal affairs. I don't pay taxes to buy lies.

It's a brave new world. Welcome to the monkey house!!

[edit on 12-5-2010 by whaaa]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Yes I put myself on the line many times... As a soldier and UN observer... I know the rules but would smash any of them for a human life regardless... And have... I could not give a crap about the litigation society you guys voted for.....

A REAL MAN justs laughs and tries not to commit suicide because of limp wristed libs....

been there and doine that.. Not happing again..

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Glad my taxes do not cover your wages..

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by agentofchaos
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

But didn't you feel good as a person for saving another persons life? What is money? I'm sure you were fine with a 2 week vacation lol...way to have an excuse on why you don't do anything...Personally, if it was me as an officer that would be the reason I got into the work, to save lives, not hold a job...

I agree completely.

Secure

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

As a youngster, I was instructed by my parents to always call the fire dept. incase of ANYemergency because they would respond promptly and were better trained than the Sheriff's dept or the local LEOs.

It's a sad situation when you can't trust local law enforcement to help and actually "Serve and Protect"

I am a law abiding citizen, pay my taxes and actually fear law enforcement because of the conversations I overhear in the gym where I attend that is also attended by many LEOs. They refer to ordinary citizens and not just lawbreakers as "pukes" the "we/they" attitude is very apparent.

It's a brave new world. Welcome to the monkey house!!

I agree it is bad you feel that way....but society has changed as well. Many people think cops should still save cats from trees, etc...and I wish we could have time for all that. In my normal 12 hour day now I get atleast 30 calls for service. Thats JUST ME and there are 34 other officers working with just as many calls coming in. Fights, stabbings, robberies, shootings, assaults, rapes, thefts, etc, etc, etc...

EVERYDAY...not once in awhile...EVERY SINGLE DAY people do things to destroy each other....EVERYDAY we have to see it, deal with it, figure it out, wonder why, etc.....for some it DOES become "us vs them" because the only "them" they deal with ARE scum....not guys like you. In the cities, like I work, almost ALL encounters are with people you and other normal, nice folks would consider pukes as well. I LOVE the calls I can go on and meet nice people who really do need help and we can provide it. I chose this profession and love my job....knowing that there IS a victim who is counting on me to help them and counting on me/us to do something. This isn't the thread to get into it, but know that there is NO BETTER FEELING then getting a handshake or a hug from someone who was a victim and your hard work brought justice and peace to their life. You guys who have read my posts know I can't stand when fellow officers do stupid stuff and I am the first to criticize them.......but I truly believe the majority still are here to help you when you need it....just please keep in mind that to understand our day and what we deal with...just read the newspaper, watch the news, listen to the radio....society is definitly not the same as it once was...and those changes have changes us as LEO's....good or bad..I can only speak for myself and how I approach my profession...and I will continue doing the best I can with what i am given.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
god so many replays just make me sick yea keep on making the copouts alest we know what it is your not afraid to do.
o i wasnt trained to swim? man what a copout would i risk my life for a person i never met or hardly knew ? i Have and even though i got the short end of the stick that time i would do it again.
if i was to die trying to save a life then my life ment something.
oo i mite get hert well your right you just may die trying to save this stranger.
but for gods sake your a copout thats means your family WILL be taken care of even without the insurance wich i know you carry every other cop there was would donate money to your family.
and if you did save her once again CNN would be HERO COP saves the day.
regulations or not no way you get fired. sounds to me more like a cowered oo big man with a gun but if you have to put it down to save a life you make excuses. Dont have the training ? dude give me a brake i watched a film of a man jump into a chimp encloser to save a chimp that was drowning.
is there even any training for that kind of rescue? yea he may have died saving a animal now theres a true hero .
heck i watched another film of a boy child about 6 years old who fell into the grilla encloser and was knocked out and the grollias tryed to help as much as they could to keep him safe untill the humans could help him more.
man even animal has more courage then a copout

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
save a cat stuck in a tree ??? man this wasent acat stuck in a tree this was a person dieing . leave the cat it will get hunger enough and come down.
but for god sake you see a person in danger that doeent involve using your gun you love so much or your tazer you use on 76 year old grannes .
alest try to help

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Yes I put myself on the line many times... As a soldier and UN observer... I know the rules but would smash any of them for a human life regardless... And have... I could not give a crap about the litigation society you guys voted for.....

I have no problems breakin the rules for life either...BUT...you said we should be willing to just kill ourselves trying and not use rational thought or common sense because you pay our salary....BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
save a cat stuck in a tree ??? man this wasent acat stuck in a tree this was a person dieing . leave the cat it will get hunger enough and come down.
but for god sake you see a person in danger that doeent involve using your gun you love so much or your tazer you use on 76 year old grannes .
alest try to help

Please understand WHAT your responding to before you rant and THINK your making a good point. I am all for good debate and even arguments, but cmon man...REALLY! Re-read my post.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I dont pay YOUR salay which I am glad about... You supposed to "protect" and "Serve"..... What a joke!!.... The tax payers who pay YOUR wages am glad to see you when TSHTF... You get rid of drunk drivers, burglers etc.... But you dont... Your job is to make money for your local gov..... Make ya feel good??

I have no time for the police... They have no time for us..... As proved by THIS (op)... Screw them...

The only time I will respect the police is if they man up.......

lol

Aint hapening.. They are all on girly hormones..

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join