It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Listen guys It is not right to call for the officer to be fired. After all he's right it it is not his job to jump in the water to save someone. If he was a baker and did not help you wouldn't be yelling FIRE THE BAKER,FIRE THE BAKER. Not helping to save a life when posable does not make him bad at his JOB it makes him a caward and a bad person. So please guys relize when you say that he should lose his job over this only proves that you care more about hurting a police officer then the fact that the person that did save her is a hero. I mean where r all the post about that person?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The guy is lucky that he didnt get arrested for saving the woman.

About 5 years ago the police did just that, a guy jump in a river to save a drowning swimmer and was put in handcuffs as soon as he got out of the water.

SAN MARCOS - A San Marcos man was arrested after rescuing a swimmer from the swirling waters near a restaurant on the San Marcos River over the weekend.

Police say Dave Newman, 48, disobeyed repeated orders by emergency personnel to leave the water. The police report does not mention Newman's rescue of 35-year-old Abed Duamni of Houston on Sunday afternoon.

"I was amazed," Newman said after getting out of Hays County Law Enforcement Center on $2,000 bail Monday morning. "I had a very uncomfortable night after saving that guy's life. He thanked me for it in front of the police, and then they took me to jail."

After being handcuffed and put in a Texas State University police squad car, Newman was taken to jail and charged with interfering with public duties.

Duamni, who said he did not see any signs warning swimmers of the dangerous currents, jumped into the water several times before the current caught him. He had just finished eating at the restaurant when he decided to go for a swim.

"I reached a point where I said, 'I'm dead,' " Duamni, who was visiting San Marcos, said from his Houston home Monday night. "There's was nothing I could do. I thought, 'That's it, I'm over, I'm gone.'"

After reaching Duamni, Newman said he swam with him under a waterfall and deposited him on the shore opposite the restaurant. He could hear law enforcement personnel telling him to come back to the shore by the restaurant.

According to the report, Newman smirked and seemed annoyed by officers' requests. He stood in the water for about 15 seconds before swimming downstream, to avoid the turbulence from the waterfall, and across the river to the officers, the report said.

"When he came across the river, the officer stuck out his hand like he's going to help him out of the water, and he put cuffs on him," said the Rev. John Parnell, pastor of St. Augustine Old Roman Catholic Church in Fort Worth.

According to the police report and witness accounts, the crowd that had gathered to watch the rescue was upset when they saw the police arrest Newman.

Ogletree said he understood why emergency personnel wanted to clear the water, but didn't understand why Newman had to be arrested.

In 1999, Texas State University, which owns the dam and the land around it, erected a fence to prohibit access to that part of the river. Later that year, the City Council enacted a swimming ban on that portion of the river. But Newman led a successful campaign to get the fences around the swimming hole removed and the ban relaxed.

In April, 22-year-old Jason Lee Bonnin, and a Texas State University student, drowned after he and three other restaurant workers jumped from the eatery into the river.

SOURCE: www.chron.com...

[edit on 12-5-2010 by skull_bones]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

But didn't you feel good as a person for saving another persons life? What is money? I'm sure you were fine with a 2 week vacation lol...way to have an excuse on why you don't do anything...Personally, if it was me as an officer that would be the reason I got into the work, to save lives, not hold a job...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ONLY BAD DREAMS

Exactly, it makes him bad as a person, not bad at his occupation. Also, I've heard instances where police got fired for doing things like this. If you're a fat 30 year old cop with an IQ of 50 who's guaranteed to live the rest of his life in comfort as long as his stays within the law and one of the rules is to not go outside of your duties, what would you do? Would you risk your daily doughnut break in the morning, free money for the rest of your life after you retire, and all that power for a mere peasant?

Cops have it so hard.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by skull_bones

That's just sick.

Dude, I understand the cops are trying to set an example by arresting a guy for putting his, and thus more rescue personel's, lives in danger, but come on.

The horrible twist at the end where the ban was lifted and then a worker drowned was a real downer, but to actually charge the rescuer?

I don't have time right now (at work), but I'm interested to know if the man was actually prosecuted and/or convicted, and what his fine/sentence was. If it's in the article, I apologize, I only read your pasted section. I'll check it out later.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I can't even begin to comprehend this. If I saw someone in need of assistance and could offer aid I would do it, end of story. If some cop told me not to assist and there was no one else on hand that could assist, I would ignore it. You would have to shoot me to keep me from helping. I somewhat understand their reasoning of not wanting others to get hurt as well, but since they have proven they are not required to have the public's best interest in mind, back up and let someone who is willing to help give it a shot.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure

Then after getting the person out of the river(it was only 7ft deep) I was promptly suspended for 2 weeks without pay because it is not my jurisdiction and I left the department open to lawsuits. Since then we now have safety rings in our cars so we can toss those out. There are MANY factors to take into consideration.

Secure

PS due to our new department policy I cannot perform CPR due to our insurance

I guess all cops are allowed to do these days is beat, tase people, issue traffic tickets, and ruin peoples lives for a plant.

Congrats on getting suspended though, If I had to get suspended to save someone in a river it would be worth it.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
That's odd, something like this just happened here in NY ... a bunch of NYPD Marine Unit officers jumped right into the East River to save a woman and her baby daughter that fell in the water during a botched suicide attempt.

Granted the UK officers were on vehicle patrol and not in patrol boats that are equipped with wetsuits and diving gear but they could have at least tossed a rope or something.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I am proud of the teens who helped and saved this woman. The situation SHOULD dictate the RIGHT response.

In a post a long time ago cops were blamed for tasing two teenage boys who were insistant on jumping in RAGING ocean waters that would of SURELY killed not only their dad, but them as well....that situation is different...as the cops had to decide (in a split second) to either let the boys go die for nothing, or use force to save them. Here it appears these officers just decided that their job was to hold back people and wait for fire/rescue units. Again the situation dictates how the response should be handled. Was this river rough, undertow, how deep, current speed, etc....all need to be taken into account. I am ALWAYS proud when i see people willing to take a chance to save others...BUT, many times that decision is made WITHOUT rational thought...and that leads to problems. One victim becomes two, then three, etc.......

I am all for cops AND people joining together and working together to save someones life.....thats the point to it all....and when we succeed we all shake hands, hug, and thank GOD for it turning out ok. As a cop I can understand why people get pissed at situations like this, but trust me, more then a fair share of officers save peoples lives, as well as everyday people who answer the call....but to use this as another excuse to blame all of us, call all of us names, etc...is sad...ESPECIALLY when there are videos out there of everyday people walking by and REFUSING to help people in need.....its not limited to us pigs...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Oh it's in the UK?

Doesn't even remotely surprise me then.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
now i know were the word COPOUT originated
because alot of posters are COPingout the cops o reaglations say this ooo we have to much stuff on o we can get sued o its not in our jurisdiction
COPOUTS EVERY one OOO i mite louse my job.
so get another job as a COPOUT its not that hard to get work.
saving a life isent worth a new job? your joking right?
saving a life isent worth letting the CHIPS (motercycle cops )
fall as they may.
youl put your self in front of a bullet but shy away at saving a drowning woman? COPOUT
man take off you stuff risk your job and being bitched out by the boss.
NOt much of a risk when cnn puts it on the air how YOU COPOUT decided for once not to be just a COPOUT and protected .
man you get fired EVERY ONE would be holding signs for the cheifs to BE FIRED or rehigher you NOW.
we need heros in uniforms the nice calm blue ones not bulles in black who COPOUT any time they may accutly do GOOD.
Quite being a COPOUT try just being a boy in blue (you know superman wares mostly blue you know the loneranger wares mostly blue gess what they werent COPOUTS

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Seriously. People make assumptions about these officers. Im currently being trained to go into the EMS field, and I have no doubt that the officers receive this very same instruction.

If we see someone who is drowning, as an EMT I would not jump in and try to save him. UNLESS I have that training, and that is specifically my job. Otherwise you get in trouble. And I have no doubt that cops are told the same. There is a reason behind this, and that is because cops are not the fire department. That is not their jobset, and they potentially make the situation worse if they start to drown too.

And if the cops had jumped in, and one of them started to drown. You'd all be laughing and saying "Haha stupid cops can't swim" Don't deny it, because most of you would think it's funny.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I think you missed the point, of that's not in their job set. And they could VERY EASILY make the situation worse by jumping in with all their gear on and drowning themselves.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Anyone on here trying to make an argument for the police are totally in a stupid trance. What exactly are the police suppose to do these days? Protect and serve? Nope its more like interrogate and imprison.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Question: Was it the man you gave CPR to that sued you?

If it was me that you saved, I would have treated you to to the best Steak dinner of your life, complete with appetizers and all the beer you could drink. It is the least I could do.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by DaMod]

It was actually my Field Training Officer that was sued, the person who received the CPR was on unemployment.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
this does not surprise me.
about 15 years ago i was travelling outside moab utah.
stopped for a car fire, got out with the extiguisher, lady screaming that theres a child in the back seat. flames growing.
2 utah h.p. pull over.
moms screaming, i head towards the car. they grab me, and stop me.
i turned around and punched one of the officers, made a break for the car.
broke the window, pulled out the kid, burned bad, i was pretty burned up myself.
walked over, handed off the child to mom, and was thrown to the ground by the troopers, handcuffed and arrested for punching the cop.
ambulance pulls up, moms screaming, let him go, he saved my baby.
i told her not to worry, i'm more than willing to pay the consequences.
spent 2 nights in jail, the mom bailed me out and paid for my lawyer, all charges were dropped.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Martyrdumb
"I'm here only to seat and serve people, a baby choking to death isn't on my job description." I wonder how long I would last in a society like that?

According to VDEM and the DCJS it is not the responsibility of an officer to preform medical functions, that being said if I see someone dying I am going to try to save them so will any veteran officers.

Secure

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
to be fair if I see someone in need of help im usually the first one there , and while the police could have done more I gotta say it would have to be some dire circumstances to get me jumpin in the clyde. It really is one of the filthiest rivers Ive ever seen , When we were growing up the old wives tale was if you fall in the clyde you got about a day to live if you get out that is . ok probabaly not that bad but still , another thing is that with all the reeds and junk in the river if a cop jumped in he cuold possibly be tandgled aand drown as well. Its just protocol to let the right services do the job. The kids are heroes dont get me wrong but I really dont think we should be so hard on the police , the last thing you want is 20 people jumping in to save her. And none of us were actually there and lets be fair when do we at ATS ever believe the news reports to be 100% accurate . never so whats the diffirence with this ? none apart from its an excuse to hate the system

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gromle
reply to post by nixie_nox

Isn't it requirement that police officer can swim decently? Here in Norway you wont make it into the police academy unless you can swim a given distance in a given time.

Originally posted by nixie_nox
And police receive how much water rescue training?

So you want someone who can't even dog paddle to jump in so now fire and rescue has to rescue 2 or 3 people?

You want to hear something sad? Our academy actually cut out the rescue swimming training as of 1/13/07 so the last 3 classes have had NO TRAINING whatsoever...

Secure

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure

Originally posted by Martyrdumb
"I'm here only to seat and serve people, a baby choking to death isn't on my job description." I wonder how long I would last in a society like that?

According to VDEM and the DCJS it is not the responsibility of an officer to preform medical functions, that being said if I see someone dying I am going to try to save them so will any veteran officers.

Secure

Agreed.....and it is unfortunate but true that taking steps to save a life HAVE led to that person or family to sue the officer/department. Sometimes saving a life means causing injury...and in the end the person or people are more pissed that you caused harm then saved the life...again SAD, but TRUE!!!

The main issue is NOT just these officers.....its PEOPLE everywhere....people EVERYWHERE refuse to help others. Cop haters come here and use their angry speech to lash out...thats fine, but they also need to look around because while these two officers didn't help...50 others were in the middle of saving or helping someone...and for the two awesome teens who did a great thing, 5000 people turned a cold shoulder to the cries of someone who needed help......its the world we live in.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join