It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
I dont pay YOUR salay which I am glad about... You supposed to "protect" and "Serve"..... What a joke!!.... The tax payers who pay YOUR wages am glad to see you when TSHTF... You get rid of drunk drivers, burglers etc.... But you dont... Your job is to make money for your local gov..... Make ya feel good??

I have no time for the police... They have no time for us..... As proved by THIS (op)... Screw them...

The only time I will respect the police is if they man up.......

lol

Aint hapening.. They are all on girly hormones..

The "my taxes pay your salary" argument is old...and considering I pay taxes too, holds NO merit. If I was tax exempt, or cops were tax exempt, then you WOULD have a great argument. Also I know YOU don't pay MY salary, but speaking in GENERAL terms for this conversation...hope that helps you understand.

As for us "manning" up, yes let me please bow before your greatness and hope some of you rubs off on me because according to you, YOUR the only person capable of doing anything right, or just, or worthwhile. Instead of thinking your the ONLY man out there, you might want to understand that all over this planet MEN sacrifice much more then you ever will or have, and just because they chose to wear a badge SHOULDN'T take away from their effort....regardless of your personal biased.....a REAL MAN would understand this and know its the right thing to do.

link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Louisville, Kentucky. A couple of years ago. A drugged up individual was handcuffed by the popo. He got scared and ran and fell into the Ohio River. A bystander tried to jump in and rescue him, as the police watched the perp drown. The would be rescuer was arrested for interfering with an arrest. Meanwhile. the criminal drowned. Good police work.

link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

You don't need "funding" to have the decency to save another person's life... nor do you need balls, courage, etc.

What you need are feelings for PEOPLE. I'm surprised you even responded with that comment, you left yourself open for ridicule by offering that "defense" for your fellow officers.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by KANE OG]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Sometimes it is embarrassing to be part of a Board that includes so many who regularly label all members of a group based on the actions of one or a few.

It is a shame you don't embarrass yourselves. I guess a Psychiatrist would explain it as a defense mechanism for a total lack of self-esteem.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by KANE OG
You don't need "funding" to have the decency to save another person's life... nor do you need balls, courage, etc.

What you need are feelings for PEOPLE. I'm surprised you even responded with that comment, you left yourself open for ridicule by offering that "defense".

OK how you compare my use of the word "funding" with the decency of trying to save a life....I will never know. I did not use it as an excuse to NOT try and save someone....I DID however show you that not everyone, cops included, are comfortable with certain situations...especially water. So if you can't swim and your department hasn't taught you how to swim, is it really smart to jump into water and try to rescue someone? That answer SHOULD be obvious.

How the post then corilates to NOT having feelings towards people I do not know either...since the comment was general conversation and again NOT an excuse or defense. It is COMMON SENSE and a topic that needs to be addressed by agencies who have water in their jurisdictions...IMO....but KANE I think you totally misread or misunderstood what i was saying.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
YOU brought up the "fact' that the FD gets all the funds. It seems (to me) like a dedicated peace officer should have the common sense and decency to become adept at, you know, protecting people.

Swimming should be on the list just above tazing I would think.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

YOU brought up the "fact' that the FD gets all the funds. It seems (to me) like a dedicated peace officer should have the common sense and decency to become adept at, you know, protecting people.

Swimming should be on the list just above tazing I would think.

Yes I did bring it up....to point out a problem...and a possible reason this may happen. I agree a police officer, especially with water in his/her jurisdiction, SHOULD want to be prepared for an incident if it occurs there. Do all officers...no....but I cannot speak for them, nor should I have too...I can only speak for myself. YOU were the one trying to make some BS up that I am defending these officers or ANY officer...when that is CLEARLY not the case.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Loophole, the police officers could have charged the person with disorderly conduct, then they could dive in after them without worrying about being outside their jurisdiction etc.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by scwizard
Loophole, the police officers could have charged the person with disorderly conduct, then they could dive in after them without worrying about being outside their jurisdiction etc.

I know you are being sarcastic...but I might try this line on my Captain next time
Thank you.

Secure

PS I am NOT joking

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This shocks you? Police are the same all over the world.... Just a big, organized and legal street gang!

That is why I have said before and will say again... the only good cop is a dead cop. Just my opinion.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

reply to post by rcwj1975

What you need are feelings for PEOPLE. I'm surprised you even responded with that comment, you left yourself open for ridicule by offering that "defense" for your fellow officers.

You know, people always say "Well I'D DO SOMETHING!!!" But that's a joke. We know 95% (not a real statistic.) people DON'T when the time comes to step up.

I bet you alot those people who've seen gang rapes, people being beaten, murdered, people who watched others drown, probably said at some point on the internet "Well I'd do it."

Anyways, my point is, unless you actually have stepped into a situation like that, the argument is a moot point since most people do back down and wait for the proffessionals to get there.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Regardless of occupation, it is encumbant upon every human being to do what is within their power to preserve the life of any fellow human being.
As humans these cops failed the most basic of tests......
If it was their training that allowed them to stand by,or orders from higher higher, makes no difference, they get a failing mark on my scorecard......

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
it is against the law not to help,
besides if their motto is ‘Semper Vigilo’ - always vigilant

seams they made an epic fail in up keeping that.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Well well well, all the internet heroes are out and about!!!!!

You know what, all the people on here that have been talking #, I would LOVE to see their reactions once someone came and held a gun to their head, and was prepared to pull the trigger.

My bet would be they would be screaming "WHERE ARE THE POLICE HELP ME HELP ME SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE!"

As rc has said, it's all well and good to come on here and scream the house down and bag the # out of someone elses actions. But I doubt that many of those deriding the actions of the police would be willing to put their balls, and lives, on the line, to help OTHER people out day in and day out.

And before anyone jumps on me saying I am the same, well I have saved lives before. I have lived around beaches my whole life, and have surfed for 20 odd years. When I was in High School, 3 girls I went to school with were out in big surf, and got caught in a rip. Luckily I was nearby surfing, gave 2 of them my board and sent them in, and the 3rd I got to hold on to my shoulders and bodysurfed a wave in. Sure, she almost drowned me at the start, but when I got her calmed down enough, I got her in.

But at the other end of the scale, midway through last year, with my work, I had to go do whats known as a "white card" here in New South Wales. It's a Safety Induction Course for when you are going to be working on Construction Sites. It is run by a Government Body, and EVERYONE has to do it if they plan on working in Construction. And you wanna know what one of the major points that is stressed throughout the course???? DO NOT, UNLESS PROPERLY QUALIFIED, DO ANYTHING THAT MAY RISK YOURSELF, OR CAUSE MORE HARM, TO AN INJURED PERSON!!!!! Why?? Because, unfortunately, as soon as you touch someone that is injured, and something else happens, then YOU are liable, and can be charged for it, unless you can satisfactorily prove that you are currently qualified in a Professional Medical Course.

As much as it sucks, and as much as I hate it, that is how the world is today. Unfortunately NOBODY can be a Good Samaritan anymore without running the risk of a lawsuit. And that pisses me off, but unfortunately thats what Lawyers around the world have done to us.

Talk about a hoax. If you lot are pissed off about it, take it up with the Lawyers, because they trigger-happiness in sueing people has lead the world to be this way.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

See that kind of thinking right there is what leads to bystander mentality. Someone else is going to help. That's not always the case, people will sit there and watch someone else die. Until they see others trying to help, then they finally overcome their fears and do something, by then it's usually to late.

Some of us however, will help. Some of us have gone and taken first responder courses, life guard training, CPR training and have concealed carry permits. Some have taken CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams) training in order to help out when they're needed.

Why do we do this? Because at some point, you're going to be in a situation were everyone else is losing their minds, where people are to scared to act. That's when if you've prepared yourself mentally and physically you can help save someones life. Maybe the persons life you save is a stranger or maybe it's a close friend of family member.

It's in all of our best interests to be prepared for something like this happening. You never know what may happen. Do you want to live with the thought that you were helpless to do anything?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

have to agree that lack of schooling is a big reason for the "heard" mentality,
you know what to do but youve never done it , you wait for someone to lead.

another one is the shock/trauma of it all happening , its one thing to see it on tv but when it happens for real your mind goes into overdrive .almost as into denile because its not on tv

then again this is exactly what the nanny state gives birth to,
civilians expect "authority" to do the work, "authority" argue whether its their job or in their juristiction to act.

or we have a bad case of social voyeurism,
people acturly get kicks from it.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

Hello xXxtremelySecure,

You did the right thing. You saved the woman's life, you got suspended, that's the right thing to do.

Even if you would have gotten canned you would have been doing the right thing to jump in and save the person.

You should not look at it any other way.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

..cowards. "It's not my job" .. pfftt...

And it wasn't even like the water was high or raging either. And when the kids got her to shore, THEY had to perform the CPR. Again.. those officers are cowards.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Why am I picturing some sort of Benny Hill skit gone awry, featuring a bald old man and a woman in garters ringing her bicycle bell as she zips alongside the river?

Seriously, though, kudos to the real heroes. Though I'm an American, I miss the old England: Metal Gods and toothless soccer hooligans that would pick you up and buy you a pint after they broke your nose. The land of Iron Maiden and Winston Churchill; and more importantly, America's great and mighty ally that would always have our back. Sigh...

Seems the whole world's mostly upside-down anymore. Here's to one day people all around the world taking back the power from their respective corrupt governments. Help us, Obi-Wan-Kenobi--you're our only hope...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
well atleast the police never held the heros back this timewww.dailymail.co.uk...
who could stand and watch some one die and still face there self.....i don`t know. its sad people listen to rules when thay could save a life instead

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join