It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Just another example of how "Police", for the most part are a money making scam.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
that reminds me of the seen in pirates of carribean were govenors daughter is drowning in front of 2 royal navy soldiuers and it took a pirate to save her.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
they'd be liable for lawsuits if they jumped in.

that's what you get because of unchecked liberalism.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rollo
I have done life saving and have certificates, while the weight of some items are quite large it's hardly any excuse. In training for water rescues, you have to swim a distance(depends on cert) then treadwater full clothed for x time(depends on cert)

I am glad you have life saving certificates...I don't except for my lifeguard training at the YMCA. Our department does NO water training whatsoever. I am not sure I could have swam with all my gear on and not drowned myself.

Secure

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

So would they suddenly feel obligated to save someone from drowning if they WEREN'T on duty? Is that when it becomes acceptable for a person who is in on the force to try to save someone's life.

So...on duty, ignore drowning person; off duty, try to save drowning person????

Good lord...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
im not a fan of the poliece to begine with but thats just stupid but i dont live in the UK

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
they'd be liable for lawsuits if they jumped in.

that's what you get because of unchecked liberalism.

WTF? What has liberalism got to do with this story?????

I don't think the f'n lawyers are necessarily liberal. They are the ones making a profit off of the stupid laws.

Are the insurance companies liberal??? They are making profits off of these stupid regulations too.

Get real my friend. You have a one track mind and see everything as lib/cons, which it frickin aint. Its about who gets rich off the rules.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
ok health and safety...BS

Do coppers have car chases?
Is that safe..not only to them but the general public?
Remember the mantra speed kills...no no no excuses for being over the speed limit as the mantra says speed kills...it wasnt the fact the pot holes are 10ft deep and a light pole is mere cm away from curb etc...

Cops = revenue raisers...with guns and flashing lights, thugs and stand over merchant...pawns in governments indirect tax collections, and upholders of the removal of civil liberties, where corporations and celebrities always come before the ave joe or joanne in the street.

Coppers believe they are the law...rather than being a public servant that is paid to protect the public and capture criminals...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure

Then after getting the person out of the river(it was only 7ft deep) I was promptly suspended for 2 weeks without pay

thanks for sharing your experience, i truely wonder why the whole setup is built to discourage any form of help, judging by related threads on ATS it seems as if police officers were better off committing police brutality than actually rescuing someone.

i know, it's insurance again, but lawmakers did not have any trouble passing 'immunity' laws for vaccine makers and other industries, while they continuously leave individuals hung out to dry.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

ok health and safety...BS

Do coppers have car chases?
Is that safe..not only to them but the general public?
Remember the mantra speed kills...no no no excuses for being over the speed limit as the mantra says speed kills...it wasnt the fact the pot holes are 10ft deep and a light pole is mere cm away from curb etc...

Cops = revenue raisers...with guns and flashing lights, thugs and stand over merchant...pawns in governments indirect tax collections, and upholders of the removal of civil liberties, where corporations and celebrities always come before the ave joe or joanne in the street.

Coppers believe they are the law...rather than being a public servant that is paid to protect the public and capture criminals...

Ever heard of the Occupational Health & Safety Act dude????

And as for the whole "speeding" argument, well Police DO call off chases for that exact reason.

You got any better ideas on how to run things??? I doubt it, because if you did, you would be in Office right about now. Instead, you are just another of the countless "internet heroes", who would rather sit here bitching and moaning about how crap things have become, rather than actually doing anything to change the situation.

Harden up people. Because unless you are willing to get off your high horse and get down on the ground with the grunts, and actually TRY to effectively change things, # all is going to happen.

Bitching on the internet isn't going to change anything..............

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It's hard not to view this as another "bash the police" thread. If the roles were reversed and it was the cops jumping in and saving her, with a crowd of civilians looking onwards and doing nothing, you would not be praising them in the same light. You would not be calling them heroes. (The story would not even be mentioned on ATS.) More importantly, I very much doubt you would be condemning the crowd of civilians that just stood by and watched.

[edit on 14/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
It's hard not to view this as another "bash the police" thread. If the roles were reversed and it was the cops jumping in and saving her, with a crowd of civilians looking onwards and doing nothing, you would not be praising them in the same light. You would not be calling them heroes. (The story would not even be mentioned on ATS.) More importantly, I very much doubt you would be condemning the crowd of civilians that just stood by and watched.

did you read my last post?

Suspect saved from drowning by PCSO

"A POLICE suspect has been saved from drowning by the community support officer who had been trying to arrest him. "

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myrddin Wyllt

did you read my last post?

Suspect saved from drowning by PCSO

"A POLICE suspect has been saved from drowning by the community support officer who had been trying to arrest him. "

I had not read all the pages, so no, but I was more directing that at the OP anyway. Most people are trying to reinforce the "all cops are the bad guys" idea. I see now that you are not doing the same.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Well, i now know what to do if i ever find myself in the UK running from the police. Just jump into some water and swim away... They wont save an innocent drowning woman, why would they chase a petty criminal through the water?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It IS sick that the law does not support the actions of persons who regardless of thier job description , ought to be MORE duty bound to assist in a rescue than a regular civilian. However it is also sickening that the police officers involved did not shake off that excuse and rescue this woman.
However, there is no oath taken by police officers which contains a specific duty of care toward members of the public. Although we OWN them, they are not duty bound to save us , serve us, or protect us. This is Britain. Here the only power granted to police is to protect the status quo, and make sure no one makes any money the government havent got a slice of.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

Ever heard of the Occupational Health & Safety Act dude????

what do you think...?!?!?

Ever heard of human compassion..

Hang on I will stand and WATCH some one drown and DIE right in front of me in7ft of water...
Rather than get in trouble...boo hoo, apparently cops cant do CPR either...for goodness sake...It many sound like a cop bashing thread...HEY coppers...stand up and say NO...use your union to have the OHSA changed. also to put pressure on gov with strikes...media releases...and after a week of not booking drivers 5km/h over speed limit and the huge amount of lost revenue I think the media attention alone would force them into some action.

Unless you dont want to help the public you are suppose to protect....

Pitiful petty excuses...
No different than the crooked cop and all the honest cops letting him get away with it...knowingly...
Yes you now are the same as the crooked one because of your apathy.

To secret squirrel...do you honestly think the politicians in office make the laws...yer they are the figureheads
The petty excuse from whingers..oh it's too hard..oh ohs, bla bla bla...go and use your time more proactively rather than aim up at me...with you anonymous cyber attack on the internet as you so say.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Rollo]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

That's BS. Heroism is Heroism regardless of who performs it. And conversely cowardice is cowardice regardless of who's involved. In this case it was the LEOs displaying cowardice even though some are trying to spin it with BS legalese rhetoric and whining.

It's a brave new world with the advent of the www., youtube, tiny high quality camcorders, the authority figures should now know that they are being watched, videoed, and judged on their performance. I have a cell phone that takes HD video
Samsung Instinct HD SPH-M850 and I use it if I see questionable behavior by anyone, LEOs included. If that's a problem, perhaps they should seek other employment .

We need more investigation and observation of authority figures, not less, after all
they have no compunction at surveillance of ordinary citizens.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by whaaa]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I could imagine if some one lit up a reefer while they all watched the woman die, the person would have been tackled, kneed in the head arrested and cuffed all before the woman took her last breath.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Hang on I will stand and WATCH some one drown and DIE right in front of me in7ft of water...
Rather than get in trouble...boo hoo, apparently cops cant do CPR either...
[edit on 14-5-2010 by Rollo]

Apparently you didnt read my post very close, 7ft of River water and I did get suspended for saving him.

Also I will perform CPR if the need arises...even if I get suspended, sued, and possibly fired.

Secure

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
You cant even call these morons cops, there just immoral losers in blue suits.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join