It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

www.dailymail.co.uk

But as the courageous trio performed the dramatic rescue, Strathclyde Police officers held back worried onlookers on Glasgow's Albert bridge.
A Strathclyde Police spokesman said: 'It is not the responsibility of the police to go into the water - it's the fire and rescue service.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

+33 more 
posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Ah, UK cops continuing to win the hearts and minds of the populace with their heartfelt activities towards civilianry.

You can bet that if that person was PROTESTING against their completely corrupt gov, those police would have dove right in that water to shackle her. LOL

It's amazing the contempt these folks show toward the general civilian. Where does morality come in to play when it comes to a fellow human being?

Unreal....

www.dailymail.co.uk

+12 more 
posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Just from the quote of the officer saying it's not the responsibility of the police... ugh

It may not be a "responsibility" or "in your job description" but helping save someone's life while they're drowning in front of you should be a given.

It's sad they're called human beings.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Good job helping the drowning woman!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
if i saw somebody in need of help i would try my best,it's human nature to help others no matter what some people say,it's somebodies life at stake.
how could they stand & watch,they should be kicked off the force no questions asked

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
lol, that's not part of my job description = I can't swim. Seriously though what a bunch of losers so much for serve and protect.

+10 more 
posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Yay for the students!! Great to hear stories like this.

As for the cops - I'm kind of surprised they didn't arrest the students for causing a disturbance in a public waterway or something. Sounds about par for the course.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I don't know what to say
im happy and proud of the students but disgusted at the cops

at the end of the day I guess i'm happy the woman was saved

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Now, where are the folk that actually believe the police in any shape or form are human?

They have been trained to not help.

They have been trained to not care.

Hell, in the US it is LAW that the government and police have NO RESPONSIBILITY to civilians. None whatsoever.

As another stated, surprised the students were not arrested for making the cops look bad.

They should have been summarily shot. /s

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What happened to Protect and Serve???

I applaud the students, but the police.......... really wtf....

+5 more 
posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Way to go and congrats to the teens who saved the woman -- even doing CPR after they got her out to get her breathing again.

And who said today's teens are messed up? Not these three. Its nice to know the future is in their good hands.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This reminds me of the time we had the flood's in the UK a couple of years ago the police did not want to help.

Some of the local lads were helping get my misses and son out of the house in a dingy they were struggling but the police did not want to get there feet wet.

If SHTF i will not expect help from the police.

Keith

+12 more 
posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
As an officer Good Samaritan laws DO NOT apply to me, I am legally liable for EVERYTHING I do on duty. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way I will tell you that I have gone in after someone before after...
1. Removing my Shell Vest 15lbs
2. Removing my interior trauma vest(under my uniform shirt) 5lbs dry more when wet
3. Removing my duty belt AND MAKING SURE IT IS WITH ANOTHER OFFICER OR LOCKED UP 25lbs
4. Removing my Boots 2 1/2lbs
5. Removing my 2 backup weapons 4lbs

Then after getting the person out of the river(it was only 7ft deep) I was promptly suspended for 2 weeks without pay because it is not my jurisdiction and I left the department open to lawsuits. Since then we now have safety rings in our cars so we can toss those out. There are MANY factors to take into consideration.

Secure

PS due to our new department policy I cannot perform CPR due to our insurance

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

Are you kidding me? What exactly are you allowed to do??

And whats with the fear of lawsuits? Can you get sued for every action in the us?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Since it appears that these officers were simply barricades, their salary should be commensurate with barricade rental.
Since those kids were the heroes that risked life and limb, give them the hazard pay.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If it isn't their RESPONSIBILITY then what are their responsibilities?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ratqueen
If it isn't their RESPONSIBILITY then what are their responsibilities?

Just for show I would assume.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

You can bet that if that person was PROTESTING against their completely corrupt gov, those police would have dove right in that water to shackle her. LOL

www.dailymail.co.uk

Spoken words of truth. A country truly intent on cultural and ethnic suicide. Sickening story.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Yay for the students!! Great to hear stories like this.

As for the cops - I'm kind of surprised they didn't arrest the students for causing a disturbance in a public waterway or something. Sounds about par for the course.

Or interfering with police matters, which was to stand there and do nothing.

Of course their level is to arrest Christian preachers, someone whose not going to put their lives in danger. Now we wouldn't want that would we?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Saving lives is my-hero stuff, way to go for those students.

But this is so unfair to the police officers, how biased can it get? What is the psychological problem with authority that just assumes that all law enforcement officers are evil abusive villians? I've grown up around cops and firemen and still encounter several regularly and while sure, once in awhile there is someone whose personality really shouldn't be in that line of work, for the most part they are hardworking, decent human beings.

First, their larger duty is to keep the peace for the citizenry at large in which case keeping a whole mob of people from knocking each other in while gawking is an important deed in its own right--no, I am not saying that 'saving a life' vs. 'keeping order' is less important but I'm saying that keeping order is very high on the list of priorities since indirectly that ties back into the first point. Leaping in only to end up with others leaping in and 3 people drowning instead of 1 would not be an improvement in the situation.

Secondly, they would be unable to fulfill any number of duties necessary to the scene up top while they were in the water, so if someone were *already trying to help the woman* -- or *could* but probably would not bother to if they were doing it -- why would they even NEED to?

Thirdly, I've heard of plenty of heroic deeds by law enforcement but one thing the LEO's I know were trained in pretty well is that killing yourself (and by proxy possibly endangering others) is seldom the wisest course of action. Just because these officers did not leap in and nearly drown themselves trying to rescue someone, while ignoring other needs, does not make them nasty horrible villains who should be fired.

There are soldiers who try very hard to save the lives of civilians even kids and end up having to let it be while they go somewhere else where they're needed right that minute. It doesn't mean they are villains or don't want to save anybody, it means they are entrained to duty-first and that comes with certain restrictions, regulations, and priorities.

Cops and their entire dept., are liable for crazy amounts of money, general harm and even imprisonment if something goes wrong and some backseat second guessing after the fact decides that because they abandoned reason and leaped into the water, other events happened that wouldn't have, had they been 'keeping law and order'. It's not just about paperwork or duty, it's about the fact that a good man doing a good job should not end up unemployed, disgraced, or worse, their family and kids affected too, for doing the right thing.

And here's a news flash for people who have never been in crisis-trauma situations: there is never a way of knowing what is "the right thing" because there are so often unintended events, side-effects and consequences which later are second-guessed to have made even the best and most noble intentions into the wrong thing, even the how-could-you-no-excuse thing. This is where policy and procedure becomes critical and that is one reason it exists. You can't have the uniforms running around like loose cannons each with a spontaneous different idea or they are no different than the crowds. 'Uniformity' has reasons of its own.

I personally think that most the men I know who've been law enforcement officers (so sorry to the women I simply haven't known any personally) would *personally want* to rescue someone -- in fact pretty much all the LEO's I've known are almost humorously chivalrous in many ways, very much the manly-man dudley-do-right sorts -- but they would be forced to do what was duty and procedure in a crisis situation. And they live with that frustration and regret in their psyche just like they live with the corpses in truck grills and crime scenes and nearly every human they meet treating their working for the good of the community like it makes them some kind of evil gangster who's better off fired (or even dead) (while ironically the gangsters think they're nerds and want them dead).

To do what you must in hard situations because organized peacekeeping is sometimes the bigger picture and the first priority is often *not* easy at all for individuals and takes its own kind of courage. To then be reviled by the public for not acting mindlessly and endangering directly or indirectly the crowd's individuals, yourself, your fellow officers, and your department, is really injust.

RC

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join