It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
It is the fire and rescue departments duty to deal with such cases. It is so here where I live and nobody here expects cops to jump into the water for anyone.. Cops probably don't even get the training for this kind of stuff.

This cop-hate thing is getting ridiculous.

[edit on 13/5/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Congratulations to the students who did the rescue, but how many times have we read about failed rescue attempts where the victim count also included the would be rescuers? One of the first things that first responders are taught is to assess the safety of a situation before approaching a victim.

If the situation is not safe for the responder they are supposed to keep away until it is safe to respond. For people whose jobs often put them in harm's way, it is better to be professional and follow procedures, than to be a hero sometimes and a victim once.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure
As an officer Good Samaritan laws DO NOT apply to me, I am legally liable for EVERYTHING I do on duty. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way I will tell you that I have gone in after someone before after...
1. Removing my Shell Vest 15lbs
2. Removing my interior trauma vest(under my uniform shirt) 5lbs dry more when wet
3. Removing my duty belt AND MAKING SURE IT IS WITH ANOTHER OFFICER OR LOCKED UP 25lbs
4. Removing my Boots 2 1/2lbs
5. Removing my 2 backup weapons 4lbs

Then after getting the person out of the river(it was only 7ft deep) I was promptly suspended for 2 weeks without pay because it is not my jurisdiction and I left the department open to lawsuits. Since then we now have safety rings in our cars so we can toss those out. There are MANY factors to take into consideration.

Secure

PS due to our new department policy I cannot perform CPR due to our insurance

At least you can look at yourself in the mirror in the morning knowing you did the right thing

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
That is why I have said before and will say again... the only good cop is a dead cop. Just my opinion.

And people actually ask why SOME cops have an "US vs THEM" mentallity when dealing with SOME people.....

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
It is the fire and rescue departments duty to deal with such cases. It is so here where I live and nobody here expects cops to jump into the water for anyone.. Cops probably don't even get the training for this kind of stuff.

This cop-hate thing is getting ridiculous.

[edit on 13/5/2010 by DGFenrir]

yup, people just don't like authority figures any more.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
If any of the Police officers had recognized the lady as their mum, sister or daughter, would they have stayed on the river bank and waited for professionals or would they have jumped in to try to save her? I think we all know the answer to that one,

THE TWO STUDENTS, YOU ARE REAL HEROES AND YOU HAVE SHOWN MORE HUMANITY AND COURAGE THAN ALL OF THOSE GUTLESS POLICE OFFICERS PUT TOGETHER!

I do not wish to tarnish all Police Officers, as I know that there are many who would have jumped in, had they been there, but the police officers who were there should hang their heads in shame!

Which asks another question, were they "real" police or those "fake" police, the community support officers, who everyone see's as a joke!

Peace

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Can't answer for Scottish Police service BUT: In 2000 England's Police Forces (sorry not allowed to call them a Force, now known as a Service) where told they were no longer exempt from the Health & Safety at work act. This means that jumping in rivers, chasing suspects over roof tops, entering burning buildings etc is NOT permitted.

Thank Tony Blair for that change!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

This shocks you? Police are the same all over the world.... Just a big, organized and legal street gang!

That is why I have said before and will say again... the only good cop is a dead cop. Just my opinion.

my saying goes humanity has gone stupid and their needs to be a reset button pressed.

But soon something like that will happen.,,,,,

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975

And people actually ask why SOME cops have an "US vs THEM" mentality when dealing with SOME people.....

Dude You can't use one posters comments as justification for cops having an US vs Them mentality.

People say the same thing about politicians and Arabs, Jews, blacks, whites.

A cops is a person who carries special authorities for the purpose of protecting the public. that's it a Cop can never, ever be anything besides that.

This whole US vs Them is a double speak term used to move the enforcement of law to privatised hands where it will truly be Us vs Them.

Once Law enforcement becomes something beyond the protecting of the people you are no longer a Cop.

Cops are not toilet scrubbers, they are not store cashiers, waiters or busboys. You guys have a Badge that is supposed to mean safety and service and Run! if your a criminal.

You can't let comments like that get to you. They are just words spoken out of anger.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicious Jones

It happened in the UK, it's not serve and protect it's "On her majesty's service" hence the absolute lack of morality.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Amazing! Just seen this on tv

Suspect saved from drowning by PCSO

"A POLICE suspect has been saved from drowning by the community support officer who had been trying to arrest him.

PCSO Chris Missen, 23, has been praised for his actions after he was hurled into the River Ely by the man he was chasing through Ely’s Plymouth Woods."

www.walesonline.co.uk...

This PCSO is also a LIFEBOATMAN, and also another "HERO", I've heard all the excuses here as to why the police shouldn't have jumped in, but I would rather have 1 Chris Missen on my block than 50 of those gutless cowards! If he can do it, they could have!

Peace

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

www.dailymail.co.uk

But as the courageous trio performed the dramatic rescue, Strathclyde Police officers held back worried onlookers on Glasgow's Albert bridge.
A Strathclyde Police spokesman said: 'It is not the responsibility of the police to go into the water - it's the fire and rescue service.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

These guys are becoming more n more along the lines of revenue police, the high priority crimes these days are the ones that bring in the dollar to the state revenue!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
www.primitivism.com...

Because of these alien ego-identifications we no longer hear our own tribal/primal voice. In order for deep thinking to commence again in the human mind, it is necessary to break down these internal authorities, overcome the resistances, that prevent tribal ideas from coming to consciousness. The modern problem is not simply that we do not listen to primal ideas, but rather that primal ideas are unable to come to consciousness at all, because of the internal counterforces, or ego-alien identifications, that contradict and overpower them.

These ego-alien identifications, built up over the course of a lifetime, cohere and form a distinct, circumscribed personality, or false self, that represents and enforces the rules and regulations of civilization. This false self is observable in the frozen facial expressions, stereotypic gestures, and unexamined behavioral patterns of the general public. This false self determines much of our everyday lives, so that we are seldom the origin of our actions. We lapse into the false self at the first sign of danger, under stress, or simply because it is the path of least resistance.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei
www.primitivism.com...

Because of these alien ego-identifications we no longer hear our own tribal/primal voice. In order for deep thinking to commence again in the human mind, it is necessary to break down these internal authorities, overcome the resistances, that prevent tribal ideas from coming to consciousness. The modern problem is not simply that we do not listen to primal ideas, but rather that primal ideas are unable to come to consciousness at all, because of the internal counterforces, or ego-alien identifications, that contradict and overpower them.

These ego-alien identifications, built up over the course of a lifetime, cohere and form a distinct, circumscribed personality, or false self, that represents and enforces the rules and regulations of civilization. This false self is observable in the frozen facial expressions, stereotypic gestures, and unexamined behavioral patterns of the general public. This false self determines much of our everyday lives, so that we are seldom the origin of our actions. We lapse into the false self at the first sign of danger, under stress, or simply because it is the path of least resistance.

Ok now I understand!!!!

The police are here to enforce nut cases like u!! Seriously humans are humans, no matter how alien we seem to one another. I am just as much an alien as the next red blooded, asian, anglo, african, dutch human being, and so is everyone else! We are conditioned to be wary of what we think we dont know. End of the day we are all the same, were all here to do the same job, live our lives, make money, and whatever else we do, and then we die!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by blah2200

Read the entire article. It's about the "false self" not about races and stuff...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think if we took some of these posts (apparently there is not a minimum age requirement at ATS), and replaced the words [cop/pig/leo/etc] with racial terms, this behavior and categorical prejudice, especially with such frothing hatred and violent intent included, would be seen for what it really is.

It's disappointing to realize that so many people have such polarized, globally-biased thinking, and they just graft all that misery they carry around into that I guess -- I mean, you can legislate people into not being allowed to be overly racist, sexist, etc. (except on the internet
) but people will always just invent new categories of other people to be -ists about in that case.

Every 'group' of people is filled with individuals. Some will always be better or worse than others in various ways. Some groups do have 'generally' predictable behavior based on group membership, that is true. From afar they are a bloc, but up close they are just people like everyone else.

To me, hating all law enforcement officers is like hating all clergy because of the ancient Crusades and the Church being a control agency and a few priests in the news. Sure there is all that and it's not ok, but on a day to day basis there are tons of good people all over working their ass off to make the world a little more livable for others, in their own various ways.

Maybe some people just see what they want to see, or more reflection of what is inside them. It is dealing with this pervasive social attitude and working with the worst of society day after day that gradually turns many good, altruistic men into embittered cynics instead. And then people hate them because as a class they are sometimes (often, in big bad cities) embittered cynics.

It reminds me of the men who walk (or crawl, or are wheeled) away from combat in a jungle or desert, only to then come home and be reviled because they are jungle/desert messed-up animals who learned to be fierce to survive. Cops, paramedics, soldiers and others -- often, they're a mess, but often things are a helluva lot better for the larger population as a result of the beating their psyches and bodies took on its behalf.

For all of what society suffers and makes us suffer, for all of the chaos and frustration in the world, still I am certain it would be So. Much. Worse. without most of the people who work the edges.

RC

[edit on 13-5-2010 by RedCairo]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure
As an officer Good Samaritan laws DO NOT apply to me, I am legally liable for EVERYTHING I do on duty. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way I will tell you that I have gone in after someone before after...
1. Removing my Shell Vest 15lbs
2. Removing my interior trauma vest(under my uniform shirt) 5lbs dry more when wet
3. Removing my duty belt AND MAKING SURE IT IS WITH ANOTHER OFFICER OR LOCKED UP 25lbs
4. Removing my Boots 2 1/2lbs
5. Removing my 2 backup weapons 4lbs

Then after getting the person out of the river(it was only 7ft deep) I was promptly suspended for 2 weeks without pay because it is not my jurisdiction and I left the department open to lawsuits. Since then we now have safety rings in our cars so we can toss those out. There are MANY factors to take into consideration.

Secure

PS due to our new department policy I cannot perform CPR due to our insurance

Utter BS

I have done life saving and have certificates, while the weight of some items are quite large it's hardly any excuse. In training for water rescues, you have to swim a distance(depends on cert) then treadwater full clothed for x time(depends on cert)
Now consider as you say only7ft deep, any weight is not an excuse...jump with out removing anything...at 7ft deep even if you were dragged under or 9ft or 10ft you can bounce back to surface...
If the equipment is screwed after...who cares, get new stuff

And to go 1 step further, it seems a mth suspension or being yelled at is more a problem than the haunting memories of watch a helpless woman die while you watched in fear of being scold by boss. Never mind the girls family..

This is sick...

Now with out being capitalist a cop jumps in with all the "gear" and saves a life, gets in trouble by the "chief" and then suspended......Sell that story to the womans magazine, or write a book, make a few media appearances...
wham $$$$$$ then the queen gives an award or knighthood.....

did a heroic act so saved a life took the ch it from bureaucrats and then made a bundle...
or
stood back, watched some one drown, worried about being yelled at and being in trouble....and then makes heaps of pathetic excuses on why it was better to watch a woman die over saving her.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

So why are they wrong for taking the taxpayers money , they need to get paid and itss not like they're taking as much as the benifit thiefs.
Is it right to let someone die ? depends on the circumstances . and in this situation 3 people had already ran down to the edge of the river and more were coming so the police actually did the right thing by holding others back because if anyone else had fallen in the police would have been screwed for not controlling the situation.
And why do you need to be a moral master because the last time i checked the tax payers were paying for however many mps to live in luxury but i imagine you think theyre moral masters too.
Yeah danger is part of the job and they deal with it every day just like they did then , and they dealt with it well. Your govermnent lets 1000's of unique individual die every day without batting an eyelid so dont start on the police .
And courage is not extinct you tosser but as I can see from your comments niether is tunnel visioned aggression towards the state . This kind of attitude makes me sick and with people like that were never gonna get any further. Oh and I love the fact that you dont believe the newspapers or the news when theyre lying about ufos but when its against people youre "supposed" to hate it suddenly becomes gospel. Another succsefully conditioned drone

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
put it this way...if it was Osama bin Larden and the cops were in pursuit...

1. Osama jumps in water and is safe and cops watch as he swims away
2. cops jump in and pursue

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm no angel (pun not intended with Avatar & username)

I used to get into alot of trouble and would not be phased by taking a chase from a copper. What i'm trying to say i have been chased though woods, lakes, up trees, on roofs - all sorts.

If its health and safety that prevents them from saving a life i think this is a perfect example of health and safety madness. What about the health and safety of the lady drowing?

Makes me sick and makes me feel less guilty of giving them a hard time, not all police are like this but as we all know,

we will tar all of them with the same brush and they should know this by now

[edit on 13/5/10 by Lucifer84]Poor Spelling

[edit on 13/5/10 by Lucifer84]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join