It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero students leap into river to save drowning woman... as police officers REFUSE to help

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gromle

Yes we can get sued for just about everything, my FTO got sued for giving someone CPR and cracking 2 of the guys ribs while doing it(very common by the way).

We have so many things to take into consideration its not funny. If we do go in we have to take off 40+lbs of gear and make sure it is secure first. It took me 3 minutes before I could get in the water the time I had to go in.

Secure

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It should be clear that officers are often faced with contradictory impulses regarding such situations.

The new doctrine embedded in all but a precious few law enforcement organizations (in most of the western world) is LIABILITY.

Bean-counting officiates drive policy based on actuarial tables which define the likelihood that a department 'might' be sued.... policy is determined thereafter.

The problem has never been the people themselves, most police are simply doing a job for the community (and in many cases their OWN community). But alas, some have exploited the legal vulnerability to the detriment of us all.

One reason I could never adopt the vocation is because I will not be told by ANYONE in charge or otherwise NOT to do the right thing. To such commands I cannot acquiesce.

Sadly, these officers did, and do. Presumably, they want to keep food on their table, and pay their bills... so I can't judge them too harshly.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

I applaud you for taking the time and making the effort to "go in the water" in spite of the personal consequences to you - the pay deduction.

Your story illustrates one of the several evils in today's society begging for some sort of resolution; that is, the stranglehold that the insurance companies (and lawyers) have on all of us in society today. While there was a good reason for insurance once upon a time, the way they operate today detracts more than it adds to quality of life.

cheers

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Thank to me and the FOP making a fuss we do have the safety rings in the car now so that should help, and as for the pay part that was an acceptable loss...however my phone that I forgot in my pocket wasnt
I lost 200+ contacts.

Secure

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

It's nice to have a police officer here to clarify a few things. Thanks for explaining btw.

I don't understand why, if the police are supposed to protect us, that the good Samaritan law wouldn't apply. Is it because it's your job to be a good Samaritan? I just don't get it. If anything police officers should get more protection for doing good deeds. I'm sure that's why you took the job in the first place.

What is this world coming to...

Question: Was it the man you gave CPR to that sued you?

If it was me that you saved, I would have treated you to to the best Steak dinner of your life, complete with appetizers and all the beer you could drink. It is the least I could do.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Wait a minute, the good Samaritan Laws do not apply to police?

Who the hell made that stipulation? A lawyer?

Probably so they can get those big payoffs from the taxpayers.

I get certified every two years in CPR and other life saving techniques. Being in construction, it is very relevant to my profession.

I find it odd, that our government has removed all responsibility of protection of civilians from themselves and their LEO's.

What is the purpose than of a LEO?

Oh, that is right, they are there as the tax enforcement arm of the government. GOT IT!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Yeah I totally agree. What is the purpose of a Police officer if they can't do anything anyway?

Then again this is a nation that gives Defendants more rights then the victims.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure
As an officer Good Samaritan laws DO NOT apply to me, I am legally liable for EVERYTHING I do on duty. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way I will tell you that I have gone in after someone before after...
1. Removing my Shell Vest 15lbs
2. Removing my interior trauma vest(under my uniform shirt) 5lbs dry more when wet
3. Removing my duty belt AND MAKING SURE IT IS WITH ANOTHER OFFICER OR LOCKED UP 25lbs
4. Removing my Boots 2 1/2lbs
5. Removing my 2 backup weapons 4lbs

Then after getting the person out of the river(it was only 7ft deep) I was promptly suspended for 2 weeks without pay because it is not my jurisdiction and I left the department open to lawsuits. Since then we now have safety rings in our cars so we can toss those out. There are MANY factors to take into consideration.

Secure

PS due to our new department policy I cannot perform CPR due to our insurance

By and large, I am a supporter of law enforcement when they respect the Constitution. Having said that, If you are not willing to lose your pay, your job, or your life if you see someone struggling against the wrath of nature for their very life and make the choice to stand idly by, you do not deserve to be a member of the human race, let alone a police officer.

And yes, I realize that eliminates a large portion of the populous. Point being?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Wow, that is really scary that an officer would have a mentality like that.

I manage a restaurant and two nights ago we had a toddler begin choking. Instead of getting someone to call 911 and me trying to do the heimlich, (which I did) I guess I should have just shrugged my shoulders and told the poor mom:

"I'm here only to seat and serve people, a baby choking to death isn't on my job description." I wonder how long I would last in a society like that?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Martyrdumb

Yes, but in the same light, it is that same society that allows things like this to happen. I`ll sue i`ll sue i`ll sue, that is what you hear anymore. And who stands to make a killing from it? Not the one who may have been hurt, it`s the lawyer who makes the big bucks from it. The more they can sue for, the bigger the check they get. And society falls for it, hook line and sinker everytime.

Lawyers are the biggest crooks that walk. They don`t need a gun to rob you with, they use the law as their weapon of choice. You may find that many politicians were lawyers before seeking office. Why do you think every corporate structure including banks, have buildings full of lawyers to keep them from lawsuits? They know how to twist and turn the laws around to keep them out of trouble.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
"To Serve and Protect!"

Am I missing something? We are truly on our own.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Thats insane! Getting sued for trying to rescue someones life.. Its mad world out there.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

As an officer Good Samaritan laws DO NOT apply to me, I am legally liable for EVERYTHING I do on duty. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way I will tell you that I have gone in after someone before after...
2. Removing my interior trauma vest(under my uniform shirt) 5lbs dry more when wet
3. Removing my duty belt AND MAKING SURE IT IS WITH ANOTHER OFFICER OR LOCKED UP 25lbs

Then after getting the person out of the river(it was only 7ft deep) I was promptly suspended for 2 weeks without pay because it is not my jurisdiction and I left the department open to lawsuits. Since then we now have safety rings in our cars so we can toss those out. There are MANY factors to take into consideration.

Secure

You Sir are the type of LEO that I will not only respect, but when the SHTF, I'll have your back. I just pray that there are more officers like you out there. Maybe if you wore a thin Black/Blue/Black belt, or border around your hat, we would know who you were. But isn't it sad that we would even have to have this kind of conversation.
You Sir, have a star, and my personal applause!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
And police receive how much water rescue training?

So you want someone who can't even dog paddle to jump in so now fire and rescue has to rescue 2 or 3 people?

Stop the teenage anarchist slandering and get a grip.

When it comes to safety issues, the first thing your taught is to NOT go after a person, to leave it to the trained professionals.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Can't blame the piggy(s), probably didn't want to get their donuts wet....errrrr, do UK pigs eat donuts too? Either way, it's not anyone's "respnsibility" to save people, it should be an ingrained attitude. If cops who are here to "protect and serve" won't jump in the water to save a drowning woman, well then no one should help them the next time they see a suspect beating the sh# out of a lone pig. It's not our responsibility to informt he police that one of their cops is getting killed or beaten, so why should we do it?

LAZY P-I-G-S

*edit*

and shouldn't cops be trained or certified to swim?

I think so, otherwise my ass is just jumping in a body of water if I ever have the sausage squad hot on my heels. Don't blame people like me for slandering cops, they have done everything possible to deserve it. The "brotherhood" should not exist, the fact that cops look after cops means that people look after people and you have a little friction. No one cares about how "tough" or mentally strenuous your job is, you took it, quit bitching. If you can't stand the daily grind of getting crapped on as a cop, then you should take your pride and ego and go somewhere else. There ARE plenty of good officers out there, but there are just as many if not more pieces of dog crap that have no business being given authority.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Shark VA84]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Isn't it requirement that police officer can swim decently? Here in Norway you wont make it into the police academy unless you can swim a given distance in a given time.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Liability?? Is that the excuse??? B bloody [snip]..... If you are a public servant then bloody serve!! If you are soo much of a [snip] that you would rather watch someone drown and DIE than be sued then you are NOT worthy to wear the uniform!!
The police would be quick enough to jump on someone if they were speeding or doing another none natural law of speaking their mind!!

If that is the "courage" of our police then we dont need them..... Crap Crap Crap.... Yellow cowards... They should all wear dresses....

Mod Edit: About Vulgarity and the Automatic ATS Censors

[edit on 5-12-2010 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The actions of the police don't surprise me one bit.

I've seen some of the most cowardly actions from police...actually, pretty much all of their actions are cowardly.

I know a girl whose family was taken hostage on Christmas day a few years ago by the son of wealthy business owner.

He had them all at gunpoint and was threatening to kill the children when their big sister forked over her purse, credit cards, some cash and her car keys.

One of the parents hiding in the bathroom managed to call police and tell them armed intruders had her family hostage.

The gunmen took off in her Mustang as the police were arriving. The police stopped their cars, one backed up, and they let the gunmen through. The police then went up to the house and asked if everyone was OK.

The big sister said, "Yeah, we're fine, why aren't you going after him?? He was right there in front of you!!!!!!"

The officers replied..."We're not goin' after him...he has a gun!"

They eventually found him...dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. They probably would never have found out who he was due to the cowardice of the 4 police that showed up that day.

"To protect and serve"...their own asses!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Secure

Your department sucks. They suck really bad.

I shudder to think that this is an American officer talking.

When police come to me for help, i turn them down. This is why. I am law abiding to the Nth degree, but still cannot stand LEO.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This reminds me of what happened not to long ago...

Two cops taser two guys who wanted to jump into the ocean to help their dad, who was drowning, and getting swept out to sea. I don't think they ever found their dads body after that.

It was posted on ATS somewhere, videos included.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by ALLis0NE]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join