It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another oil rig overturns in inland waters off the coast of morgan city, Lousiana

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I found this apparently it was being towed.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is definitely sabotage but I thought it was obvious when we had the worst oil rig disaster ever on Earth day, Obama was allowed to reverse his off shore oil policy, and then he sent SWAT to investigate other oil rigs in the Gulf. This is absolutely breaking news so most likely it'll be proved false but if so then hold on to your hats because its about to get bumpy. I suspect Iran or Yemen will be the 'official' cause.

Just think what all the environmentalists will do with this, you want to see protests and disorder and the price of EVERYTHING going through the roof, just keep an eye open to this!!

This is all false flag terrorism produced by our Corporate Government because hey are not getting what they want.

This is going to get much worse in the coming weeks and months. Chaos is the order of the day. Thank you Illuminati/freemasonry for destroying the sovereignty of the population of the world. Well done.

Order through Chaos, the masonic moto.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Let's look at the facts (typical caveats apply as to 'facts'):

A) Oil rig #2 was an old one that was being towed to a salvage yard. Very little fuel etc. These are decommissioned all the time and one tipping over during transport isn't a rarity. So no harm no foul, it is merely in the news due to the accident involving the Deepwater Horizon.

B) The Deepwater Horizon oil spill. It had a history of accidents: news.yahoo.com...

Also Halliburton (yes that Halliburton) was doing some cementing work just prior to the accident. For those unfamiliar with cementing:
"After the hole is drilled, sections of steel pipe (casing), slightly smaller in diameter than the borehole, are placed in the hole. Cement may be placed between the outside of the casing and the borehole. The casing provides structural integrity to the newly drilled wellbore in addition to isolating potentially dangerous high pressure zones from each other and from the surface."

You do this wrong and it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Deepwater Horizon was a modern marvel, unfortunately it was also accident prone and suffered from an explosion and collapse.

So while I am not against speculation I think these events are non-issues (conspiratorially speaking at least). The only thing curious was the timing, soon after the decision to open up the coast for further drilling, but maybe we can chalk that up to what happens when your energy policy tries to emulate Sarah Palin's.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
honey grab the kids we're goin swimmin down at lake palin

Well you're the third anti-Palin nutjob in this thread, why not blame Bush and Cheney?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Check this out.

The analysis is based on only a single sample, "but it has caused my level of apprehension to go way up," said environmental scientist Edward B. Overton of Louisiana State University, who is analyzing the oil for the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration. So far, he appears to be the only researcher who thinks there may be a bigger-than-expected problem with the oil.

"This could be a fluke sample," he conceded, and researchers are "desperately" trying to get more samples — a project that is not as simple as it might sound. "We're hoping and praying that it is Louisiana sweet crude, but if it is not…this is going to be a very unique spill. We have never seen a spill with this high an asphaltenic content."

Asphaltenes are the heaviest components of some crudes. They don't burn, they are not attacked by bacteria in the environment, and they don't evaporate. Their resistance to such degradation is what makes them useful in constructing roads that can survive weathering for long periods. But it also makes cleanup exceptionally difficult.

articles.latimes.com...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
A "False Flag Operation" should not be ruled out. When you consider Homeland Security, the Military and SWAT Teams were sent down there on this Spill it just doesn't make for a good common sense response. Our government has proven time after time it can't be fully trusted when you consider how we've become involved in wars in the past century, how we've had these disasters with many un-answered questions like Flight 800, Murrah Bldg, Twin Towers, and the list just keeps going on and on. The root cause seems to come back to either Ideology or Money and the American Citizen is the one paying for it all.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Just keep in mind to watch the time of the news articles and when the press is going to announce when this happened and when they got the news. If there are going to be inconsistencies we can say:...here we go again...

[edit on 1-5-2010 by AquaTim84]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Current gas price(average) - $2.88

So, there are two "accidental" oil rig accidents heading into the summer months, when Americans do more driving. Hmmm, if I had the IQ of a turnip, I would collaborate with the oil tycoons/government to make us a nice chunk of change this summer. The outcome?

Gas prices go up for the summer to an average of $4.88(again just like after katrina). Who profits?

-Oil tycoons get a piece of the pie($1 of the extra 2 bucks)
-Government gets a piece of the pie($1 of the extra 2 bucks)

And us stupid Americans pay like we always do because overall we accept what we are told, that this was just a coincidence, and suffer all summer with gas prices.

I know, I'll flame myself. This is wayyyyyyyyy to simple to be true. There's no way our government would conspire with the oil tycoons for their own benefit.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Counttrarian

A) Oil rig #2 was an old one that was being towed to a salvage yard. Very little fuel etc. These are decommissioned all the time and one tipping over during transport isn't a rarity. So no harm no foul, it is merely in the news due to the accident involving the Deepwater Horizon.

B) The Deepwater Horizon oil spill. It had a history of accidents: news.yahoo.com...

Also Halliburton (yes that Halliburton) was doing some cementing work just prior to the accident. For those unfamiliar with cementing:
"After the hole is drilled, sections of steel pipe (casing), slightly smaller in diameter than the borehole, are placed in the hole. Cement may be placed between the outside of the casing and the borehole. The casing provides structural integrity to the newly drilled wellbore in addition to isolating potentially dangerous high pressure zones from each other and from the surface."

Deepwater Horizon was a modern marvel, unfortunately it was also accident prone and suffered from an explosion and collapse.

So while I am not against speculation I think these events are non-issues (conspiratorially speaking at least). The only thing curious was the timing, soon after the decision to open up the coast for further drilling, but maybe we can chalk that up to what happens when your energy policy tries to emulate Sarah Palin's.

I knew 5 people who worked on that rig, one of them has been doing off shore drilling for over 20 years. Only 2 of them came back. They said that they could hear a roar for over 7 hours before the actual explosion. One said it sounded like a dinosaur was growling undersea, very terryfing. they knew something went wrong. The 11 missing are those who were trying to get everyone off and also trying to fix the problem.

These guys are the best at what they do, unfortunatly corporate greed forces them to these mistakes.

Everything is double and triple checked at sea, these guys have very little room for error because they know the dangers thus why i'm ruling out sabotage because there is too many people overlooking what is being done.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Wow, this is huge, I must say.

Eco-terrorism/sabatoge COULD be to blame.

But there is the off-chance of an insane coincidence.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jcjace

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends/acquaintances. Sounds like some sort of pressure build up that they tried to cement (but again all conjecture at this point). It is a very dangerous profession and the Deepwater wasn't one of your run of the mill platforms. As mentioned I think it was an unfortunate accident [no one benefited from its destruction, but hopefully this will lead to safer drilling or less dependence on pushing energy workers to their limits]. If anything the mining disaster in WV and now this show the need to put workers safety above profits.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Some of the later posters are encouraged to read entire thread.

Not to diminish the original rig collapse and spill, but the 2nd MOBILE rig was derelict and on its way to scrap/salvage yard. It was not ACTIVE nor cause any major spill.

You might save yourself further embarrassment. Just sayin.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I can't believe this is sabotage,they wouldn't be that stupid to do such a thing when probably the biggest oil spill disaster in history is about to happen,not to mention how serious this is,I think many species could go extinct here

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
There were no injuries, and navigation was not affected by the incident in the Charenton navigation channel south of U.S. 90 near Morgan City, Coast Guard spokesman Mike O'Berry said.

"This is not a major waterway," he said. "Nobody was on board. It was being towed."

The incident followed the April 20 explosion of the Transocean Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico, in which 11 people died. The rig sank and a disastrous oil spill has ensued.

A 210-foot-long barge rig, which worked swampland and shallow water oil and gas prospects, was involved in Friday's incident, the Coast Guard said.

It had a 20,000-gallon diesel tank but carried only about 200 gallons of fuel when it capsized. Spill containment boom was put around it as a precaution, the Coast Guard said.

O'Berry said the rig was owned by T. Moore Services in Franklin, Louisiana. A telephone call to the company was not returned.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
so not the same thing - it was being towed in - no major oil spill.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Counttrarian

yeah i didn't really asked too many questions to my friend, just listened to his side of the story. Another friend of mine who worked for a deep sea diving co for oil rigs told me something about pressuse build ups.

The guys in charge of drilling operations are very knowledgable and avoid mistakes at all cost but this sounds more like a rush job demanded by BP. The guys working on rigs are not so desperate about extra cash, they make plenty already.

I think this even is a good example as to why we should avoid off shore drilling because now all marine jobs at put at risk, some towns might even lose everything because of it, very sad.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
All these big oil companies care about anyway is the cashflow...

If they manage to clear this mess up i bet you won't hear much about the wildlife which has been affected...

I also wouldn't want to be living in Louisiana right now...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcjace

Originally posted by Counttrarian

I knew 5 people who worked on that rig, one of them has been doing off shore drilling for over 20 years. Only 2 of them came back. They said that they could hear a roar for over 7 hours before the actual explosion. One said it sounded like a dinosaur was growling undersea, very terryfing. they knew something went wrong. The 11 missing are those who were trying to get everyone off and also trying to fix the problem.

These guys are the best at what they do, unfortunatly corporate greed forces them to these mistakes.

Everything is double and triple checked at sea, these guys have very little room for error because they know the dangers thus why i'm ruling out sabotage because there is too many people overlooking what is being done.

I am sorry for your friends.....
second line.......very sad for all involved.
we should focus on the fix and not blame everyone in politics....
come together and fix the issues...blaming does not help. REally we need another form of "safe" energy and that would get us off M.E. oil too.....I am sure we have the technology but the oil comp. don't want to let go. I doubt they would do this in collaboration with the govt.it is almost unfathomable.....would they do that?? God I hope not.......

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'm a captain on a four point anchor dive support vessel (commercial hardhat diving) in the Gulf of Mexico. My work is concentrated on the oil and gas industry, and has been for most of my career. I have to say that this entire thread is rampant with wild speculation. Well, not that wild for ATS...

Regarding the inland drilling rig: It's a stability and ballast issue. It happens, but it's not something that happens often because usually someone sees that the barge is listing to one side and pumps the ballast out to fix it. It may have had a leak in the hull which flooded the tank. Or, more likely, it had a leak and was sitting on bottom on one side until the tugs pulled it away from the dock. The water in most of the Intracoastal Waterway is pretty shallow, 12-20 ft, and it's pretty much the same for the channels connecting to it. It's really easy for a barge like that to tip over if the ballast is wrong. Terrorism? No, I don't believe so. Negligence? Likely.

Regarding the Deepwater Horizon: It's a tragic accident. There's a good chance that the bodies will never be found. These types of accidents were much more common in the '60's and '70's, but they're pretty rare now. The industry has much since then; almost all of the change has been to make 'history of accidents' that the news is reporting are actually pretty minor. (Except for drifting off location. That's a failure of it's Dynamic Positioning system and/or DP operators. That's bad.)

The safety policies of BP are extreme. Take OSHA standards, let the safety guys in the company run wild making rules and policy, and there you have it. But, they're all rules to make the job safer, no matter how complicated and cumbersome they are. BP and TO's safety policies for drilling rigs literally fill volumes... I've worked for BP (my vessel was contracetd by them) and I hated it. But, they were very big on safety, and would shut the job down if it was unsafe.

The accident could have been caused by a number of things. If natural gas has a liter of volume at a 5000 ft depth, when it's at atmospheric pressure it fills a much greater volume. If they had an uncontrolled blow out (which is likely) a great deal of gas would have been released. There's a device (a Blowout Preventer) that's installed at the well to prevent this. It senses the blow out, and clamps down on the drill pipe to allow time to get the pressure under control. It's a hydraulic unit, and it looks like it failed.

The response time to the spill could have been faster. The Louisiana Responder was the closest spill response vessel, and they were about eight hours run time away. Plus 6-8 hours to mobilize the response crews and equipment. But even with a spill boom around the location, the oil would have been too much to contain easily. A sub sea pollution dome could be put on it, and I'm sure they've tried. (It's a funnel with a hose that catches oil coming up and allows it to be pumped onto a vessel or barge.) Right now a drilling rig is on location or moving on location to try to get the well under control.

Regarding Obama and the government's lack of sufficient response: I think he did just fine. He did the right thing by allowing the industry to respond to it. What? Do any of you believe that there's a crack government unit that's on stand by for when a rig has a blowout offshore? There isn't. There are spill response vessels. They're out there right now. There are companies like Oceaneering, which have state of the art Dynamic Positioning vessels and ROVs, which are accustomed to working on the seabed at depths well over a mile. These companies will handle the problem. The government? Not equipped for it, nor do they have the expertise. Swat teams? I'm sure it made somebody feel better after hearing about it on the news. Oh, I'm sure this will be used to push for nationalizing the oil and gas industry. Why let an opportunity like this go to waste?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Again. this second incident happened in my hometown. It's really nothing more than human error on an mobile drilling rig. I will link my local newspaper website. Everything is there. It's no false flag, nor is it live oil. Nothing. This isn't even a major waterway. Local Drilling rig overturns

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join