It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another oil rig overturns in inland waters off the coast of morgan city, Lousiana

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeropistons

There's a device (a Blowout Preventer) that's installed at the well to prevent this. It senses the blow out, and clamps down on the drill pipe to allow time to get the pressure under control. It's a hydraulic unit, and it looks like it failed.

What good is a Blowout Preventer, if it doesn't prevent a Blowout. Has one ever failed in history?? Please explain.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zeropistons

Thanks for the informative post (and from experience not pure speculation). S&F.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smiggle
I am amazed at the amount of rigs in the gulf - over 6,357 (2008#) The oil rigs are pumping 1.5million barrells a day.
I am also amazed at the amount which are lying on the bottom of the ocean in the gulf which have been sunk purposely. The entire area is an eco problem.

A layered map to see how many there are and where they are located.
maker.geocommons.com...
oil and gas rigs in the gulf:
en.wikipedia.org...

Those are the subsea structures that the platforms sit on. The entire platform above the waterline has been removed and brought in to be disposed of properly. They're not a hazard to the environment, and they're placed in designated areas to be used as fisheries and encourage reef growth.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Are you based in Texas, Beaumont area? my diving buddy was based out there for years, he's the one who gave me some explanation as to what might have happened.

I need to find the article again but i just read that apparently the workers were done 20hours ahead of schedule with the cement cap. Again, not sure who's fault that comes under.

As far as someone talking about the blame game, i get you brother, it doesn't really solve anything and yes we should be looking at other means of energy but the big tycoons are making way too much to just let it go, very sad

It is very upseting about my friends especially since i didnt know this was the rig they were all working on but i can only think of what my friend told me about the others helping evacuate everyone off the rig, it takes a #load of guts to do that and i salute them for what they've done.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 911stinks

Miami Herald article

Yes, they do fail. The technology has improved since the '90s, though. They're tested monthly, weekly, and daily depending on the operation.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I cant seem to see any answers to my questions?
Does anyone know how much oil is still to leak?

If its going to take ages to plug, i think it was three weeks, then im right in assuming there will be still sufficent remaining? You wouldnt plug a hole when its not leaking would you?
If this is the case then what we have here turns into a "Global" disaster, effecting everything on earth essentialy. If this is the case i would be declaring the whole area in the gulf of mexico a state of emergency now!.
I would also be putting things in place now also to close the whole gulf, I know you couldnt possibly create a wall of stone and close it off completely so would it be possible to limit the waves/current or both, entering and exiting?

Dont say "oh thats too big of a task" because im not buying that BS, this is a typical point in time where you see just how tied we are to money, because the only thing hampering this is the fact it costs "MONEY" Whats wrong with countries globally supplying aid and help for "FREE"

Haiti? Yeah righto that was a fiasco and this is too. Too much red take and deals secured, its BS people and im tired of it now.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
I cant seem to see any answers to my questions?
Does anyone know how much oil is still to leak?

If its going to take ages to plug, i think it was three weeks, then im right in assuming there will be still sufficent remaining? You wouldnt plug a hole when its not leaking would you?

I don't know what they had projected for that well. But 3 weeks of it free flowing will not displace the oil in the well completely.

Oh, and it's not practical to completely enclose the Gulf of Mexico.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Here is a good site for those interested in notable oil spills, their history and the technology/efforts behind getting them under control:
www.incidentnews.gov...
(yes I know it is a .gov but looks fairly unbiased and scientific)

You can draw your own conclusions about the relative scale of the DwH spill.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Not practical or too expensive?
They`ll not be saying that in a few weeks.
They need to seal the area, in some way shape or form, limit the waves somehow and use the biggest tankers they have getting them to follow another ship that is dragging a huge sock, shaped like a funnel, at the end of the funnel have a pipe leading to the tanker, have a few of these, should help.
While this is happening put some kind of seal over the leaks until it can be done correctly.
Then and onlt then when we have managed to save some of what we have all destroyed, find what caused this then take it from there?

"As for the Idea" Spread the word, maybe it may get somewhere,

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

If this is the case then what we have here turns into a "Global" disaster, effecting everything on earth essentialy. If this is the case i would be declaring the whole area in the gulf of mexico a state of emergency now!.

NONSENSE !!

It is estimated that approximately 706 million gallons of waste oil enter the ocean every year, with over half coming from land drainage and waste disposal; for example, from the improper disposal of used motor oil.

The number of large spills (over 206,500 gallons) averaged 24.1 per year from 1970 to 1979, but decreased to 6.9 per year from 1990 through 2000.

Source

210,000 gallons a day. 21x210,000= 4,410,000

4.41/706= .006246

This means the spill may account for LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of the average annual oil spillage into oceans. It's an ecological disaster, BUT IT'S NOT GOING TO EFFECT ALL OF MARINE LIFE ON THE GLOBE.

Chill out, people.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Guess we will just have to sit back, relax and watch, then we will see how this pans out then?

Or people could wake up!! and see that this isnt going to effect me here in the UK is it! Why would i be bothered?Over reacting when it doesnt concern me its their mess? Sorry but its everyones mess and im sure if everyone threw some ideas into the hat then maybe one of them just "may" come up trumps.
I havent got the "MONEY" to just pop over the pond and help or i would, so unfortunatley i cant do anything else than make suggestions!!
Im thinking about those that this effects aswel as the marine animals and mammals.
As long as you`re alright

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I'm in Texas. Louisiana is right next to me. I could hop in a car and be there in 8 hours or so. WTH would I do once over there? Complain? Swim out in the ocean and look like a fool? I have no experience in cleaning up water waste. Do you? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

You CHOOSE to be effected by this so deeply.

Professionals are doing the best they can. It's not like people are sitting around with their thumbs up their bungholes.

This has occured.

We don't yet know the reason.

It's being handled.

Could it be handled better? Perhaps.

Could ATS members find some sort of solution that beats the experts current plans? Maybe.

Would the teams of professionals and government departments listen to folks from a conspiracy website? Highly unlikely.

Being flipant on these boards spouting out mounds of assumptions and irrationalities does nobody any good. In fact, it promotes fear in people. This is why I'm saying chill out, please.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jcjace

Halliburton strikes again! Here's some info from couple articles from early today.

The suit claims that the company "prior to the explosion, was engaged in cementing operations of the well and well cap and, upon information and belief, improperly and negligently performed these duties, which was a cause of the explosion."

Last year, Halliburton was also implicated for its cementing work prior to a massive blowout off the coast of Australia, where a rig caught on fire and spewed hundreds of thousands of gallons into the sea for ten weeks. In that incident, workers apparently failed to properly pump cement into the well.
Source

Anyone on ATS like seafood?

Nearly 50% of the seafood consumed by Americans comes from the Gulf of Mexico, by the way. That explains why seafood contains such an alarmingly high concentration of Mercury as well as industrial chemicals -- because the Gulf of Mexico is America's toiletwhere every toxic chemical, heavy metal and pharmaceutical that's flushed down the drain ends up getting dumped. No wonder the Gulf of Mexico is home to one of the planet's largest ocean "dead zones" -- over 6,000 square miles of dead water where fish can't even survive.
Source

I'm speechless. I'm filled w/ so much different emotions on this, that I really don't know what to say that hasn't been said already. This is why my people have been giving warnings for as long as they have and not just over oil also Uranium drilling. It left alot of children on the Reservations pretty messed up, because it contaminated our drinking supply.

I agree w/ this one person who posted, that not only will this effect wildlife and human health, it will also create a shift in global weather patterns. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's oil in the water that will cool the water temps down. Especially w/ hurricane season around the corner.

All that I can do is pray for people's safety and that we can get this contained relatively quickly from this point on. I guess we truely forgot how to live off the land & living in harmony w/ nature.

I hope these oil tycoons realize that they just ruptured Mother Earth's vein.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by JWash]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JWash

wait the oil will cool down the gulf? Don't huricanes build up their strengh with warm water??? either way it will definitly mess up weather paterns.

I'm heading down to the boiling pot in downtown austin to go enjoy lots of crawfish and all before we get no mo!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Not practical or too expensive?
They`ll not be saying that in a few weeks.
They need to seal the area, in some way shape or form, limit the waves somehow and use the biggest tankers they have getting them to follow another ship that is dragging a huge sock, shaped like a funnel, at the end of the funnel have a pipe leading to the tanker, have a few of these, should help.
While this is happening put some kind of seal over the leaks until it can be done correctly.
Then and onlt then when we have managed to save some of what we have all destroyed, find what caused this then take it from there?

"As for the Idea" Spread the word, maybe it may get somewhere,

I commend your ingenuity. But still, it's not practical, nor would that be effective. You cannot limit the waves. (Well, oil does limit the cresting or white caps, but we want to be rid of the oil.) The waves are driven by wind in the area, and you also have swells from outside the area. So, we can't change that. Besides, it's actually the wind pushing the oil that's the problem.

Now, you can contain it. As sealing off the entire Gulf of Mexico is impractical, you'd want to seal off the area of the spill, which they are trying to do. I'm sure they've at least discussed putting a pollution prevention dome over the well. They're either going to use it, or there's a very good reason that they don't. At a depth of 5000 ft or so it's a difficult work environment, put it's still routine. (A pollution prevention dome funnels oil and gas to the surface through a hose and into a tank.) Similar to what you're suggesting, except stationary. The oil that's floating in a slick the size of Delaware? They'll use a dispersant on it. I don't like it. I think it's bad for the environment, but if they don't it'll all end up on the coast line somewhere, which is worse for the environment. The dispersant will be sprayed out of an aircraft or vessel, and the oil ends up dropping to the sea bed. As for the remainder of the contained oil, it'll be recovered by vessels specifically designed for the job. They have containment barges that are brought out to hold the oil.

Here's a link to the spill response company: MSRC

MSRC has their equipment listed as well as descriptions of what it does and how many barrels per day it recovers. The highest was a little over 15,000 bbls per day. Keep in mind, that's under ideal conditions. I'm sure that they aren't prepared for a spill of this magnitude. They have 4 or 5 Oil Spill Response Vessels on the Gulf Coast, but that may still be insufficient.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories (I'm a member because I enjoy reading them, though I most always disagree), but this does sound like sabotage. Katrina and other major hurricanes have hit the gulf and the worst that happened was they moved the rigs (which had disconnected from their pipelines.) I thought I had heard that the rig with the major leak was only exploring for oil, and hadn't even tapped into the line yet (I could be wrong.) It is curious, even oil rig fires are extremely rare.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I was lucky enough to find this letter from Bart Stupak & Henry A. Waxman(Committee on Energy & Commerce/Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations) to Mr. David J. Lesar(Halliburton).

I wish I knew how to embed this, but I am having troubles.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I havent got the "MONEY" to just pop over the pond and help or i would, so unfortunatley i cant do anything else than make suggestions!!
Im thinking about those that this effects aswel as the marine animals and mammals.
As long as you`re alright

Thanks, jazz10. I'm sure if you lived around here your help would be gladly accepted. It's going to be a big clean up effort for a long time.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Im not replying here to get peoples backs up, its frustrating and annoying.
Frustrating because the longer this goes on the more damage, death and illness will occur.
Annoyed because all i see on tv is money money money or elections?
Since when does something like this take second, third or fourth place to
Money, elections, a car crashing in a parking lot or something else thats totally irrelevant.
For those of you that are local to the spill i wish you all well and luck

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There are 'dead zones' in the Gulf. There are fish there, but not nearly as many as there should be. Every bit of fertilizer, chemical runoff, waste water runoff, etc, that ends up in the Gulf of Mexico tributaries contributes to this. Not just from the US, but from Mexico as well. They have lower environmental standards than us, but contribute to the problem less by virtue of having a smaller tributary base.

BTW, 6000 square miles is only 78 miles x 78 miles. It's not a crisis. It could be a good start of one, though.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join