It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did people in the bible live so long?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GriBiT

The reason why men lived so long in the beginning is because they were created to live forever originally. Then sin came in and ruined everything. Adam and eve got kicked out of the garden. After the flood most of the wicked people were destroyed and God had set a limit on how old man could be. 3 limits. 70,80 and 120.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Jamuhn

Well I don't agree if someone believes they can live on this earth longer than 120 years prove it in the guiness book of world records. God set a maximum limit of 120 years a long time ago and no one has passed that limit until it was put into effect.

link   
reply to post by Jamuhn

Well I don't agree if someone believes they can live on this earth longer than 120 years prove it in the guiness book of world records. God set a maximum limit of 120 years a long time ago and no one has passed that limit until it was put into effect.

link   
reply to post by Jamuhn

link   
reply to post by Jamuhn

link   
reply to post by Jamuhn

link   
reply to post by Jamuhn

sorry about that I kept tying to post my reply.....

[edit on 6-9-2010 by itistrue]

link   

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pineappleupsidedown

I agree with you except for one point. how can you prove that 1 person lived past 120 years old in the guiness book of world records. I choose the Bible since you can trust the author 100% of the time.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GriBiT

I believe God said it and it happened just like he did everything in the Bible you have to take the author of the Bible at his word. That is faith and believing that he is true.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by harrisjohns

I agree with your comment. Because God is perfect and man makes mistakes.

and in the Bible it states that with God a day is like a thousand years.

So God's time scale is different than our timescale since he is outside of time. He has all the time in the world

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I am speechless.

"your aging process slows down, lifespan increases"
"actually the nectar, elixir, or manna is the sunlight"

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=9396637#pid9396637

edit on 20-9-2010 by la vie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by itistrue

I don't beleive any ancient source concerning dates can be 100% authorative. Particualrly Genesis. There are several different schools of thought regarding the orgins of the Genesis text, one being that it is the writings of Moses himself, however, the most popular school of thought amongst scholars, and the one I subscribe to is that the first five books of the bible were actually compiled from the works of 4 different authors or scribes. This accounts for the re-telling of many Genesis stories* and contradictions in later books of the bible.

The multiple authorship of the books of the old testament could perhaps explain the different ages of people. We also have to examine that the 365 day jullian calendar we follw now was not in exsistence in OT times, so perhaps what people in archaic time counted as "one year" is the equivalent to two of our years by the Jullian calendar... thus people weren't living to 120 years, but maybe a more realistic (given nutirtion and hygine standards) 60 years?

*such as the two different accounts of the creation of man.
edit for spelling...

edit on 20/9/2010 by Stalactite because: spelling edit.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
they lived so long because of error in translation ,

1 year = 1 moon

do the math and you have a more realistic number ,

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
they lived so long because of error in translation ,

1 year = 1 moon

do the math and you have a more realistic number ,

ofcourse, if they were talking about giants in the bible, you could suppose they might have lived a little bit longer .. right?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
maybe an easier question to answer would be "why do we live shorter as in the bible?"

i can easily imagine that somehow our lifespan is based upon how much resources we use while doing our daily jobs.

what goes on in the background (you dont even realise is happing) might be responsible for extra heavy pressure on our bodily resources.

we dont just walk around in the same desert for 40 years anymore, we have much more to worry about. too much information to process. to much resources to uses.

maybe thats why ?

edit on 20/9/10 by Reignite because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/9/10 by Reignite because: forgot to fill in the first reason: first reasen was a typo

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Reignite

of course there where giants , be they big bones or just tall people ,

we have tall people "giants" in finnish mythology aswell that pre dates christianity , they even build "churches" and could do magic ,

but in all sincierity i do belive that much of the bible is just bad translations , even the texts from which they originate from ,

heck if adam was around 13 when he became father then pretty much everyone older then him was a giant / taller ,

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
reply to post by Reignite

of course there where giants , be they big bones or just tall people ,

we have tall people "giants" in finnish mythology aswell that pre dates christianity , they even build "churches" and could do magic ,

but in all sincierity i do belive that much of the bible is just bad translations , even the texts from which they originate from ,

heck if adam was around 13 when he became father then pretty much everyone older then him was a giant / taller ,

yes well that is a great example of translating without reading the actual text

do you honostly believe that all christians / jews believe in wrong translations?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I have researched this and I have the answer you are looking for. The history of Adam is from a time when we used the lunar cycle to keep time. This is seen though the use of the lunar calender throughout the semitic world and all ancient cultures.

1 lunar cycle = 29.53059 days

So just take roughly 12 lunar cycles per our current year. Divide how ever many years that are in the bible by 12 and bingo, you have a real answer based on Occam's razor or Ockham's razor.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolhanddan
I have researched this and I have the answer you are looking for. The history of Adam is from a time when we used the lunar cycle to keep time. This is seen though the use of the lunar calender throughout the semitic world and all ancient cultures.

1 lunar cycle = 29.53059 days

So just take roughly 12 lunar cycles per our current year. Divide how ever many years that are in the bible by 12 and bingo, you have a real answer based on Occam's razor or Ockham's razor.

then how do you explain the ever decreasing number?

it doesn't matter how many years you count, you have some extremes here and there anywhow.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join