It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did people in the bible live so long?

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Reignite

What decreasing number? Are you asking me why some people lived longer then others give or take 10 years 2000+ years ago?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolhanddan

What decreasing number? Are you asking me why some people lived longer then others give or take 10 years 2000+ years ago?

see the chart over here:

bible age and chart

or do you suggest the translation is partially correct? then what is correct?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
what number is decreasing ,

please explain with context,

as far as i know, people who ve live during the same period of age rearly saw his/her 50/60 birthday ,

,on a side note my native pagan culture pre dates judeo christian pop culture of roman/northafriacan propaganda,

tip of the had but nag hammas .babylon. giglames is still earlier then what we know here and has been,

bad translations , its the same as the greecs who tried to translate ,just because its hebrew or what not coptic doesnt make it any more original, its the same readers digest you have you regurgitate,

i can walk less then 11km and i have "shrines / churches" that pre date middle eastern edin or trees of knowlege.

its history and factual , fish and game,

as skies and water

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

If you would like to present more than one set of data, or confirm the data set with another source, please do and I will be happy to dig deeper into this. In the website the answer is given as "God's will", why is this not enough proof if you believe the Bible as fact? To really research the issue, look at more then one source for information. The Egyptian as well as Chinese have data during the time periods you speak of and they do not have any people living that long. Please research more than one book (or website)....

I am not here to confirm or deny anything in a religious text since you need FAITH to believe in said text.

Just like the argument about the stars and planets revolving around the earth, a virgin human birth, the ability to drain a sea at will, turning water into wine, turning a wooden stick into a living snake, raising the dead, living on "manna" alone for 40 years, a talking snake, eating an apple to become smart, destroying a fortification with musical horns, a magic box that makes you win battles and gives you sores when you touch it, the world is 6000 years old ect..ect... please do not expect people to take the Bible as fact just because you do.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

If you would like to present more than one set of data, or confirm the data set with another source, please do and I will be happy to dig deeper into this.

the website presents a chart with different people presented in different parts of the bible.

In the website the answer is given as "God's will", why is this not enough proof if you believe the Bible as fact? To really research the issue, look at more then one source for information. The Egyptian as well as Chinese have data during the time periods you speak of and they do not have any people living that long.

are you kidding? the chinese have whole sets of records of humans and devas living for over 60.000 years.

have you never read a single story of the Sutta Pitaka?

and if you say that was not of the same time as the bible, how do you know and what does it matter?

if longevity can occur at one specific moment, it can also occur anywhere.

Please research more than one book (or website)....

if you really are too lazy to look for yourself, fine:

WikiPedia Longevity (biblical)

as you can see, the (biblical) range of lifespan is from 120 to 1.000.

Quote: "The Torah claims several individuals with long lifespans."

Now are you suggesting that millions of people are believing the wrong numbers? Are you going to explain this to them??

I am not here to confirm or deny anything in a religious text since you need FAITH to believe in said text.

Quote from you: "I have researched this and I have the answer you are looking for."

Either you are now lying to me , or i am "misinterpreting" your post. Can you correctly translate it for me please?

Just like the argument about the stars and planets revolving around the earth, a virgin human birth, the ability to drain a sea at will, turning water into wine, turning a wooden stick into a living snake, raising the dead, living on "manna" alone for 40 years, a talking snake, eating an apple to become smart, destroying a fortification with musical horns, a magic box that makes you win battles and gives you sores when you touch it, the world is 6000 years old ect..ect... please do not expect people to take the Bible as fact just because you do.

As you might or might not know, the stories you are sampling here are based on MUCH larger stories.

I do not know if every single story of the bible has yet been found on clay tablets yet, but i do know there are libraries containing over 50.000 tablets alone, telling those stories on a much larger scale, and way more detail about names, ages and environment.

edit on 22/9/10 by Reignite because: clarified the wikipedia link

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Please if you want a civil discussion about this matter do not use derogatory words, this shows much passion for the subject on your part which means you have made up your mind and are defending your position. If you are serious about this post then lets discuss this in an adult way and cut the name calling. I am not a liar or lazy, thanks for trying to represent me as one though.
When I ask for different data, I am asking for an outside source from a Bible text, “as you might or might not know”, the part of the Bible you are referring to are the first 5 books, which are the same text you are pulling a quote from in the Pentateuch, also known as the first five books of Moses in the Torah. Then you use a Wiki Bible link to give me different data from the same text, seriously, what do you not understand about different set of data or data set, you have given one set of data, period. If you want to use the Sutta Pitaka as fact again, then so be it, people can fly, live forever, turn into lotuses and another other thing you can imagine in those 10,000 Buddhist text.
I am not suggesting anyone of those millions of people are wrong; you have to “believe” in religious text and if you believe why is it so important to label someone right or wrong. The point I was making in the last paragraph of my response to your post was that the Bible is farfetched at many points and why could this not be the same case. I tried to be polite not to overlook the Bible as fairytale and discount it, like I have done with the Sutta Pitaka(sorry Buddhists), but gave examples of things that are written in the Bible whether you like them or not. All those stories are there and it doesn’t matter how long the story is but what happens in them, and all those things happened. So if you believe all those things, why are you questioning the age of a few guys in the Bible, unless you have an ulterior motive, and then if this is the case please state your real motive for the post.
Based on a little common sense and knowledge of the Semitic cultures it is totally reasonable to conclude this problem you have is using a couple sets of calendars’, confusing the original timeline or any number of things which I will not argue with you about. I understand your point of this topic now, to overlook any “theory” except your own and that is fine, but please don’t think for one second this is a real discussion. If you want to get to the bottom of something take everything and sift through all the data, you can discount mine, but I am confident this is the case based on what I studied about the subject. This is my opinion, period, not to be taken as fact since none of us know what really happened that long ago.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Please if you want a civil discussion about this matter do not use derogatory words, this shows much passion for the subject on your part which means you have made up your mind and are defending your position.

i am merely defending all potential possibilities based on what knowledge is available, wether i believe it or not.

If you are serious about this post then lets discuss this in an adult way and cut the name calling. I am not a liar or lazy, thanks for trying to represent me as one though.

sorry if i offended you. please tell me what you mean with this:

Quote 1: "I have researched this and I have the answer you are looking for."
Quote 2: "I am not here to confirm or deny anything in a religious text since you need FAITH to believe in said text."

When I ask for different data, I am asking for an outside source from a Bible text, “as you might or might not know”, the part of the Bible you are referring to are the first 5 books, which are the same text you are pulling a quote from in the Pentateuch, also known as the first five books of Moses in the Torah. Then you use a Wiki Bible link to give me different data from the same text, seriously, what do you not understand about different set of data or data set, you have given one set of data, period.

then how about the dead sea scrolls. do you also classify this as a bible category?

anyway, wether it is all real or not isn't the topic.

this topic means to compare one specific set of data, with the present; speculate about possibilities.

If you want to use the Sutta Pitaka as fact again, then so be it, people can fly, live forever, turn into lotuses and another other thing you can imagine in those 10,000 Buddhist text.

no! i tried to show you other sources of longevity as you requested.. where did i stated it was a fact, and you should believe it?

I am not suggesting anyone of those millions of people are wrong; you have to “believe” in religious text and if you believe why is it so important to label someone right or wrong. The point I was making in the last paragraph of my response to your post was that the Bible is farfetched at many points and why could this not be the same case. I tried to be polite not to overlook the Bible as fairytale and discount it, like I have done with the Sutta Pitaka(sorry Buddhists), but gave examples of things that are written in the Bible whether you like them or not. All those stories are there and it doesn’t matter how long the story is but what happens in them, and all those things happened.

so if you dont believe in all this because of the lack of evidence, then how can you come up with 'evidence' stating it is false information?

So if you believe all those things, why are you questioning the age of a few guys in the Bible, unless you have an ulterior motive, and then if this is the case please state your real motive for the post.

i never said i believed it, i just like to keep that possibility open. it is a very interesting and exciting theory!

Based on a little common sense and knowledge of the Semitic cultures it is totally reasonable to conclude this problem you have is using a couple sets of calendars’, confusing the original timeline or any number of things which I will not argue with you about. I understand your point of this topic now, to overlook any “theory” except your own and that is fine, but please don’t think for one second this is a real discussion.

now you really dissapointed me

If you want to get to the bottom of something take everything and sift through all the data, you can discount mine, but I am confident this is the case based on what I studied about the subject. This is my opinion, period, not to be taken as fact since none of us know what really happened that long ago.

well, this topic happens to be about some text you don't believe in. how do you think you can contribute?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by coolhanddan

Welcome to ATS coolhanddan. Thanks for your contributions.

This thread mainly is discussing the data that is in Genesis. Please look over the Genesis record of longevity again. You missed something. Your theory about the lunar count has a huge flaw. I mentioned it a number of times in the previous posts. Can you please read the entire thread before going into battle mode?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Thread is too long to read it all. In the beginning God created Adam to live forever, you need to understand that God was a novice at the time too. Original sin limited that lifespan to less than 1,000 years and even then God had to command Adam to die. Eve requested to die with Adam. As Man continued in Sin, God placed curses upon them and the land as punishments. The information you are seeking can be found on the internet. It is called pseudigraphia/pseudigriphia and the lost books of the Bible. A study of jewish myths and legends will also be helpful.. You should read what you have been missing.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Warhappy
May-be they lived so long b/c it is "FICTION"

Finall a correct answer. Why would anyone believe the stories in the Bible to be literal???

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
the entire concept of humans living hundreds of years is totally ludicrous. now if our humble beginnings were totally alien, i could possibly see that. unfortunately the bible was so vague in the beginning about any specifics i seriously doubt any of it is true.or the absolute truth was completely removed so the jews could monopolize on the concept making them gods chosen people,which most likely is the case.

then they created the jesus character later to monopolize on the people who didnt believe in their way, thus creating the catholic church.

the catholics are the jews...lol

they had to do something, the muslims were going to take over the world and kill everyone that didnt follow them.

oh sorry, back to the old people...NO! never happened unless it can be proven outside the story

edit on 24-9-2010 by aliengenes because: edit

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by aliengenes
the entire concept of humans living hundreds of years is totally ludicrous. now if our humble beginnings were totally alien, i could possibly see that. unfortunately the bible was so vague in the beginning about any specifics i seriously doubt any of it is true.or the absolute truth was completely removed so the jews could monopolize on the concept making them gods chosen people,which most likely is the case.

then they created the jesus character later to monopolize on the people who didnt believe in their way, thus creating the catholic church.

the catholics are the jews...lol

they had to do something, the muslims were going to take over the world and kill everyone that didnt follow them.

oh sorry, back to the old people...NO! never happened unless it can be proven outside the story

edit on 24-9-2010 by aliengenes because: edit

actually i have also been thinking about this a while ago, and guess what, they call it "the order of nazorean essenes".

they combine christianity / islam (early zoroastrianism) and buddhism.

www.essenes.net...

i believe most of it comes from the book of giants.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Due to change in the size of the earth do to Noah's flood. The earth is larger and even growing today in size but at a lower rate. This results in a lower EMF and changes the hertz of it. So cells do not act the same. In fact cells divide nine times the first cell will die. However that is *not* the case if the EMF hertz is correct as the first cell with not die. Many animals will grow to massive size under it. Fish grow twice the size in half the time. One more earth change from back then is the lower amount of Orgone today and its effect on life is another subject. The body cells repair them selfs far faster if at two atmospheres with oxygen twice what we have today. CO2 levels were far higher before Noah's flood. So plants took off like a rocket. The select bird and animal sounds in nature. Caused the pours of the plants leaves to open and they were sprayed by a mist that came up from the earth. A recreation of this. Seen as Sonic bloom is sold is said to mimic it with mixed results. As it does not include that plants also respond to a select ultra sound on the plants roots. I have seen lemon grow to baseball size just threw treatment of one hour a day on the plants roots. You have to understand because of so many plants and animals being extinct. That it also has effected the content mineral and vitamin of what we eat. For that matter 99% of what we should be eating is also likely extinct. In other words earth changes are the reason for the shorter life spans for the most part. What is interesting is the story of one person that has not aged normally So there is a genetic reason for shorter lives also. The other is the mystery of what was in the fruit of the tree of life seen in the garden of Eden.

I would guess a person could build a city in some far away place that could run off a massive Tesla coil. That kind of power could be used to run the array for sending out correct EMF's over a large area. The coil could also be used for having many objects just float in the air. For weather watching, video, moving flood lights as you saw in the movie Dune as well as power devices to fire Orgone as clouds for rain if in a dry area. Otherwise you can get water from the air if the humidity is over 37%. The coil would give off a cloud ozone or O3. However I think underground is the way to go today for living longer.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I dont think that they did live as long as has been written about in the bible. Bones discovered from around 6 thousand years ago show the same amount of telomeres over there chromosomes as we do today. This means one thing. Yes there could have been an oldest of old around 150 years of age due to a different kind of stress suffered. Telomeres play a large roll in the aging process. The telomere controls the corrosion rate of the DNA thus the length of time a cell can continue to replicate before failing resulting in age and disfigurement. This shows give or take 30-40 years, people from 6 thousand years ago had the same life span roughly as we do today.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well according to religion Man was sent to earth as an exile and as a punishment, The original sin was committed by Adam and so he had to pay by spending more years on earth as punishment, As the generations progressed the punishment for the original sin has been shared out more and decreased over time hence we have to suffer less by living less on Earth. Maybe... Suppose it depends on how you view your life, you might think its great.

After so many generations its hard to beleive we all share the same original blood, yet we all at each others throats for material possessions and money...
edit on 19-3-2013 by rkingpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
maybe they didnt keep track of age. maybe things looked different back then. time is contemporary.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It is interesting how your "Age" chart

Is so very similar to this Atmospheric Oxygen content chart.

if it is a correct comparison then we are left with this... At 21% oxygen, we live a lifespan of 70 ish. If the Atmosphere content is 35%, we can live to the ripe old age of a thousand? Give or take. No wonder they do not use "Oxygen Tents" in hospitals any more

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Some bible scholars believe the account at Genesis 6:3 refers to God’s decree to limit the life span of humans due to our violent nature.

“And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.” – KJV

The term “spirit” in the above verse can be interpreted as the air we breathe. The following passages in the bible intertwine the term spirit with the breathing process.

Job 27:3 – “All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils.”

Psalms 104:29 – “Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.”

Psalms 146:4 – “His breath goes forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts do perish.”

Ecclesiastes 12:7 – “Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.”

When you stop breathing or when the spirit of the air stops its cycle, then you’re dead. It appears that the quality of air was to be reduced with the decree of Genesis 6:3.

When watching the ending scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark I couldn’t help but notice that the creators of the film inserted a mysterious fog floating around all those in view of the ark. This fog reminded me of the scriptural passages above.

The following scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark shows the Nazis opening the Ark of the Covenant on a remote island. They are in for one hell of a surprise. The Torah says that no one is allowed to look upon the ark except for a real high priest of the tribe of Levi. The scene is very graphic. Don’t watch if you’re squeamish.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
It's possible at least for a human today to live to 120 years because that is due to the amount of times a cell can divide and replicate, IF the person doesn't get disease or anything that would interfere with the cells natural process.

en.wikipedia.org...

But there are researchers that believe a human can live to 1000 years. www.dailygalaxy.com...

6000 years ago the time span where in these biblical people lived, the Earth was a lot cleaner than it is today. The food was packed in nutrients our food doesn't have. Because of this who is to say that cells could not live and divide many more times than they do today? I believe this is possible and the genetic memory was bred out of the human race over time due to worsening conditions. That is just a possibility, but one Science cannot rule out.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join