It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm filled with fear.... any suggestions on how to make this feeling go away?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Please forgive me for not reading the replies here, some of what I say may have already been suggested.

If I maysuggest>

~ Turn off your TV. Sounds hard to do but after a week or so you'll hardly miss it.

~ Stop visiting ATS. Most of the threads posted here are pure fiction designed to make you afraid.

~ Learn to quiet your mind. If you're like me, you have an internal dialogue that runs 24-7, constantly replaying situtaions and predicting scenarios. If you learn to quiet your mind for 15-20 minutes per day it will make a world of difference to your mental health. Juts find a place to be still and quiet. Try not to think about anything... no thoughts... just quiet...

~Conciously control your physiological reactions. If you feel your heart racing, focus on relaxing. Count backwards from ten or anything to ease the anxiety. When I was having anxiety problems I found that I would lay in bed with my forhead furrowed going through the days events. Simply relaxing your forhead can alleviate the tension/anxiety and allow you to sleep.

~Get plenty of sleep. Sleep deprivation thowors off your brain chemistry.

~ Quit smoking pot.
Causes severe anxiety in some folks.... others not so much but if you're prone to stress it's best to lay off the whacky weed... at least during the week.

~ Get out in the sun when you can.

~ Get out of the city... Go camping, or fishing, or anything to re-connect with nature for a time... does wonders for the soul....

That's pretty much it. Try a few things and you'll notice a difference.

Hope you can turn this around buddy. Life is too short to be afraid or anxious all the time. Realize that most things you have no control over and just let 'em go. The only thinkg you really have control over anyway is how you react to any given situation.....

~peace

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
I'm filled with fear.... any suggestions on how to make this feeling go away?

1. Eliminate toxins
A)Mercury amalgams,excessive fish consumption,Aluminum poisoning,any other toxins.

2. Take vitamins,especially B-vitamins,C,E,

3. Fear is the ego.
You are just meditating on your very core nature.
Stop doing that.
Get rid of the ego or at least a part of it
with Radical Understanding.
That will eliminate a large amount of your problem, guaranteed.

Radical Understanding is the Best and Only Simple Explanation of Meditation that there is. Everything else is confusion.
This is the real jumbo without the mumbo.

4. Reduce stress

[edit on 12-4-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This is my first post to ATS and I have been lurking for months and happily joined today. Thanks so much to the members who post daily and keep us all informed with all these topics!

I understand your fear and what you are going through! There are many good suggestions here as to how to change your outlook. I know what has worked for me and I will gladly pass this on.

Find something to be grateful for in your life every single day. It can be as small as seeing the sunshine outside, to being grateful that your child is healthy or maybe that both your parents are still alive! We forget to find something in our lives that is working...

Put things into perspective. We all know we are living in a time of crisis and the future does look bleak. Having this information however, allows you to plan accordingly. Take the outlook that you have 'something to do' and do it with vigor!

Pray. I have a higher power and that always brings be back down to earth. Whenever i am unsure of a situation, a person, a decision...i just pray and ask for my higher power to assist me...it works, it really does.

Remember when we were young we had dreams about doing things...well, DO THEM! Learn a new language, read the books you've always wanted to, take up a new sport, volunteer and give back to your community!

Taking yourself outside of your head...doing for others is the perfect way to accomplish that

and lastly, dont take it all so seriously, i know thats hard to hear, but really accept that you cannot change things out of your control, but you do have the means to change how you are thinking!

good luck

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
People don't go to hell. The lake of fire is reserved for satan and his fallen servants. The worse that can happen to humans in the afterlife is to have your name erased from the book of life. In other words you just no longer exist. That don't sound too bad really.

As far as your financial situation? it could be worse.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
sorry i didn't read all the pages of replies and hopefully someone didn't suggest this already.

In my opinion, your best bet would be meditation. It does not have to be traditional meditation, so you could try to do it throughout the day. The main thing that you have to do is try to be FULLY conscious through out the day. If you do not know what i mean by that... ever find yourself at work just doing mindless tasks and you look at the clock surprised to see that time has just flown by and it felt like nothing.. its because your not fully conscious and in what i like to call autopilot mode. When you are also not FULLY conscious, your minds sub-vocalizations or the little voice in your head, tend to wander on their own and take you on a ride.

when you are FULLY conscious, you are aware that you are aware. aware of your sub-vocalizations and can almost step back and observe them if you will, turning them into something positive (the most powerful positive emotion is love) and eventually quiet them.

This is essentially the most important part of meditation in my opinion, as you strive throughout the day to be fully conscious, which isn't easy. you will eventually get better at being "mindful"

And this is how it can apply to you, In general the sub-vocalizations of the human race these days tend to be quite negative. in fact they are about a 3:1 ratio of positive-negative thoughts for most people. and 90% of them we are unaware of because we are in "autopilot". These fear based feelings and probably sub-vocalizations you are experiencing would fall under the negative category. I believe the only true way to get out of this negative perpetual cycle, is to strive to be fully conscious as much as possible and be in control of your own mind, and in turn your sub-vocalizations, and hopefully your entire state of mind will be more positive, which according to quantum physics these days can have a positive effect on your life in general.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

The problem is that you cannot accept what may happen to you in the future. You could be homeless on the street. You could starve to death. You could be murdered. I believe that all fear is derived from an inability to accept the facts of life. Learn to accept the facts and accept what comes your way, and the fear will disappear.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

40 0z's to freedom! it's called liquid courage

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Talk to a qualified medical professional. All you will get here is unqualified people with everything from new age mumbo jumbo to people blaming it on their particular delusions.

You are important enough to You to not get advice on serious matters from the Internet.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

start tapping.

here

and find something that relaxes you

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

But it does seem like Yoda had it right:

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

yoda took that from buddha, btw

and buddha was real, and he would have alot to say about your 'fear' and how to 'defeat' it

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

You may want to check if you have the symptoms of a thyroid problem.

With all the chemicals everywhere, I know that a lot of people are starting to feel increased anxiety, only to eventually find out that, yes there is a physical issue, but it's not exactly your brain, it's your master gland and it's being annihalated by all the stuff in the environment to were it's not even working the way it should normally.

Racing thoughts is part of the symptoms.

thyroid.about.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
After reading all of the replies,I have seen only two or three that have any reference to God.

After all the insight that we have been shown,how TPTB use the media and the occult/Satanic message therein,hasn't anyone figured this out...it is supposed to cause you fear and despair!

That is exactly the opposite of the message of hope and peace that having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ offers. I'm not being unrealistic in saying this. Once we have done all we can to "prepare" (remember,Noah saw trouble coming,and built an ark!),we have to learn to trust. That comes by faith,and faith comes from hearing the word of God.

The "world" is against God,as can be evidenced all around us. Satan wants to destroy you! He will do that by keeping you from the truth of the love of God and the salvation through Jesus Christ alone.

All the physical fortitude in the world,while having some benefit,is no guard against what is coming.

John 16:33,""I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Tim. 1:7)

From this verse, the word of God is saying that God has not given us a spirit of fear. If God has not given us a spirit of fear, then someone has. Who is that person who gives us fear? That is the enemy of God, and we call him Satan. Fear is against faith. The fear that comes from the enemy is tormenting. So many people are afraid to worship God, because the devil tries to destroy them. He gives them fear. He tells people, "Godly things are not good. Don’t believe in God," or, "All godly people are foolish." The devil puts this kind of thing in their minds. But the word of God says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 9:10). We do not have to fear Satan or fear any enemy, because the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, the word of God says. That doesn’t mean we are afraid of God. We respect God. We love God. When we love God, God loves us. The word of God says in John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. That God has loved us and gave His Son for us. That means the love of God comes in our heart as we believe in God. And the word of God says, "Love casts out fear" (1 Jn. 4:18). If you love God, and if you belong to God, then you do not have to worry about anything. People are afraid or worried about so many things. But the word of God says, "Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you" (Ps. 55:22). "Casting all your care upon him, for He cares for you." (1 Pet. 5:7) We do not have to worry for tomorrow, because tomorrow never comes. Tomorrow will always be tomorrow. So God supplies our needs for today. Why should we worry for tomorrow? Please read Matthew 6:25-34, and you will know that Jesus Christ is saying, "Don’t worry for tomorrow." God loved us and He gave His only begotten Son. If God gave us His own Son, don’t you think God is able to give us everything we need? The word of God says in Romans 8:31-32, "…If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"
www.icfradio.org...

For more encouragement,click on the link!

"Put on the full armour of God so that you can stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,but against the rulers,against the authorities,against the powers of this dark world andd against the spiritual forces in the heavenly realms."(Ephesians 6:11)

How do I "put on" God's Armor?

This life in Christ begins with learning, affirming, and trusting in each part of the armor. The first part is truth--God's revelation of all that He is to us, all that He has done for us, and all that He promises to do for us in the days ahead. This enduring truth is written in the Bible, revealed by the Holy Spirit, and realized through Jesus Christ. It cuts through all the world's distortions, deceptions, and compromises.
www.crossroad.to...

[edit on 12-4-2010 by On the Edge]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
Are you feeling existential angst?

You are not alone.

Existentialist philosophers use the term "angst" with a different connotation. The use of the term was first attributed to Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard (1813–1855). In The Concept of Anxiety (also known as The Concept of Dread, depending on the translation), Kierkegaard used the word Angest (in common Danish, angst, meaning "dread" or "anxiety") to describe a profound and deep-seated spiritual condition of insecurity and fear in the free human being. Where the animal is a slave to its instincts but always conscious in its own actions, Kierkegaard believed that the freedom given to people leaves the human in a constant fear of failing his/her responsibilities to God. Kierkegaard's concept of angst is considered to be an important stepping stone for 20th-century existentialism. While Kierkegaard's feeling of angst is fear of actual responsibility to God, in modern use, angst was broadened by the later existentialists to include general frustration associated with the conflict between actual responsibilities to self, one's principles, and others (possibly including God). Martin Heidegger used the term in a slightly different way.
Angst is very often misused in today's society as a synonym for anger.

That's a good description of part of my problem...

I guess I've neglected my spiritual life to some degree... Even if the Bible is true or not... the teachings can help individuals live a certain type of lifestyle that isn't based upon the pleasures this world has to offer.

I've been selfish in that area... and I fear I will continue to act this way.

I was having this exact same problem when I was at my college. I was filled with fear. The situation was dire. Many of the people around me manipulated me. Most of the people at the college were atheists who were into drugs, alcohol, stabbing each other in the back, thinking that the only thing that made them worthwhile were their looks and their accomplishments, extremely judgemental of each other and lacking friendships with trust, lacking relationships with the opposite sex longer than a random hook-up, in fact long-term commitments were considered evil as well as being honest about the bad effects of too much drugs, alcohol, back-stabbing, or anything in general.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

My belief that this chaos and destruction and fear is the result of a cultural collapse. In other words, when people believe in a spiritual religion there are certain positive things that result. For example: they know that they are worth something regardless of their material goods or looks. They can also trust other people with the same belief system to agree with them.

People with the same belief system can trust each other because they know what they have to do to be accepted, which can be a short list (for example, the ten commandments). After this list os accomplished, they can relax. They also know, for example, that their friends will not steal from them because they are of the same faith.

Another benefit is that the belief systems, which have learned and been passed on for generations, carry with them wisdom to improve the quality of one's life. For example, cheating on your wife with your neighbor's wife will not end in a good life experience for anyone.

When there is a cultural collapse, suddenly no one knows what is right or wrong, no one knows what they have to accomplish to avoid being judged by their friends and "cast out" to the streets. It is nearly impossible to have close friendships based on trust because that can only really happen if people share the same belief system.

While I agree with atheists on many things, I disagree with them on many things as well. I think their blind holier-than-thou attitude has, yes, blinded them to the facts of how the human race operates, and the spiritual way of things as well that can be scientifically proven.

Back to my original topic, when a cultural collapse occurs this is very very bad. Everyone will immediately start to spend their whole day getting things done in order to avoid being judged, even if they make no sense or accomplish nothing. They will basically become slaves. They will not be able to do anything to improve their own lives or anything that they wish to do, as they will be too busy trying to blindly accomplish anything they can to get more material goods, more skills, more of whatever.

Unlike what you would think would happen (an atheist agenda of tolerance, caring, love), the opposite will occur. Fear and lack of trust will result in people judging their neighbor for not working, for not doing whatever. And it will be impossible to live up to standards that do not exist.

Another unfortunate thing that will happen is that there will be heavy rationing. Basically, everything will completely suck and no one will even realize they could have a better life.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Another unfortunate thing that I notice is that the advent of television and the internet and cell phones have turned people into slaves who cannot do any critical thinking for themselves. They are constantly spoon-fed entertainment that involves no thinking of their own. I know so many people who go to work, and then come home and sit on their couch and turn on the television. This basically amounts to a slave robot who is able to go to work, and then be turned "off" once they get home.

This advent of "instant-access" has also changed people into beings that are having an increasingly shorter attention span, at the moment I am guessing it to be about 5 seconds. This particular phenomenon might also be the result of a certain energy field coming from the center of the galaxy. More on that later.

A short attention span means that doing anything that requires time to complete will be impossible: for example, having a vision of buying a new house of your choice and working towards that. In my experience, anything remotely similar to this is getting harder to accomplish these days.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Might I suggest:

1 part gin
2 parts tonic
Twist of lime

Drink

Repeat as necessary.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hmmm, well have you asked your physician about medical marijuana since you have anxiety, or if it's excepted in your state/country? Sure smoking cigarettes might not be healthy and I'm sure smoking pot can be healthier but that's just me. I have read about anxiety and solutions for the problem and medical marijuana is one of many for the solution.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Luckily, there is a solution. And there will always be a solution. It starts by realizing that the only thing holding you back is yourself. And if it helps, realize that whatever you are going through is a learning experience meant to provide you with better knowledge in the future. Also, if it helps, I have been doing research that seems to suggest that we do, in fact, have spirits, and there is, in fact, an afterlife and greater purpose.

The first thing I did, was I left my college and returned to live with my parents, who are very religious, for a few months to get some structure in my life. I have also stocked up on entertainment, and have started a garden. I do think that my parents' belief system is somewhat archaic, however, I also believe that it is better than not having one.

One other thing I have done is to stop smoking weed. It really messed me up, although I think it messed me up more than the average person. I have also, through a psychiatrist, weaned myself off of SSRI medicines that I might have been reacting from.

The next thing that I would recommend doing, which I haven't done yet, is attempt to become self-sufficient. That is the most important thing.

Regardless of everything else I have been spilling out, you might have dependent personality disorder, which means that you are afraid of being accepted by other people because they are the ones providing you with whatever and you haven't learned how to lead your own life... which I suffer from a bit.

I have been making a long post, because I hope I can help you in some manner as I experienced the same intense fear and have been trying to solve it.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Talk to a qualified medical professional. All you will get here is unqualified people with everything from new age mumbo jumbo to people blaming it on their particular delusions.

You are important enough to You to not get advice on serious matters from the Internet.

And from a qualified medical professional all you will get is medication!

My sister-in-law just lost a baby that was about 5 months along. She had to go in and have labor induced. The next day the doctor prescribed anti-depressants for her? Why? Aren't you supposed to mourn, and feel a little depressed, and express your emotion with your family and your spouse, and after a reasonable timeframe, you try again?

Sure, a lot of new age mumbo jumbo exists, and a lot of it is just talking points that the speakers don't ever really understand. And sure, a real "therapist" is a decent outlet to get you talking, but not nearly as effective as a clergy member, or a family member, or somebody that has gone through it before.

I think ATS is the perfect place to post this type of concern and get advice from people that have gone through, or are currently going through the same feelings!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

maybe staying active and keeping my body moving will help... as well as tackling any little chores around the house.

I'll do better to stop procrastinating on things that should be getting done... It will help me focus on the tasks I need to accomplish rather than the worries I have about life.

In other words... I guess I need to try not to think so much.

This is an effective delay for the time being, but doesn't address the core issues you're dealing with. We could all use some exercise, but running away from problems only catch up to us once we're tired out. I'd be glad to help, but have the rest of this thread to read and consider too.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join