It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm filled with fear.... any suggestions on how to make this feeling go away?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
This is why it's so important that I put an end to this overwhelming feeling of fear that I have.

1. Get off of this forum.
2. Turn off your TV.
3. Don't buy any newspapers.
4. Go out whenever there's sunshine.
5. Splash in puddles when it rains.
6. Possibly as a last resort, the next time you're in a shopping district approach a nice looking woman and tap her on the shoulder and say "tag, you're it" before running away.

The last one sometimes turns a whole area into a playground of adults chasing each other. Complete strangers ruining around like kids. Trust me, I've seen it, and it is hilarious!

The reason depression and fear are so prevalent in our society is because we focus and dwell on "news" about things that we have no hope of changing.

What matters is your life and the experiences of you and those around you. Some people deal with things in a very special way, we can detach ourselves from what's happening and appreciate it on a less personal level.

Although I manage for the most part, I have to switch off periodically and not pay attention to any of it.
Perfect example is Israel, every time I think of that evil regime I get angry.

I say what I have to say on it, and then go and have some ice-cream.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I read the law. its called the No-Fear Act.. I would link you to it... I got it off the Justice Dept. website and I keep a copy with me at all times.
its better to prove your point with LAW

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It seems to me that your fears arise from past situations or fears of future events/situations that have not yet come to pass. The past is gone and over, it does not exist. The future is uncertain and gets you nowhere if you focus on it, especially if your thoughts of future are negative or fearful. If you notice, most of the fears of future never come to pass and all that fear and worry ends up being for nothing. Do you think you will somehow be more prepared or ready for a negative future if you focus your thoughts on such? All I can suggest is to focus on NOW, future and past do not exist. Find things in the "now" that make you happy or positive and follow them. I have found that everything in life has two sides and no matter what happens it is up to you to see the positive side or the negative side. Focus on the positive aspects of any situation and you will find more and more happiness. This is what I have been discovering recently. Also, give up on the worry about Hell and Sin, as there is no such place. Hell is not a place but rather "Hell" can be your experience of "now" if you allow your thoughts to follow a negative focus. Check out videos on youtube on "non-duality" I think they may give you some alternative views of "our" reality. Best of luck, and I hope that you find peace my friend.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Puresilence]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Happiness comes from within....many people equate material wealth with happiness, and tend to neglect their health.

1) Vitamin D from natural sunshine is a Great natural antidepressant and immune stimulator. about 3/4 of the populace suffers from lack of this.
You need about an hours worth of sunlight over half your body per week.

2) Meditation exercise everyday. Meditation actually teaches you the skills needed to take control over the mental motor.

Some free guided meditations you can burn to CD:
www.umsonline.org...
www.buddhanet.net...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I did not read all the previous posts, but you are suffering from anxiety, it sounds to me.

I suffered anxiety attacks horribly for just under 10 years.

I refused to take drugs, probably could have used a few xanex at the beginning, but I didn't want any drugs because the thought gave me more anxiety!

I went from a normal person, to one filled with unreasonable fears overnight. It was so bad, I could barely drive, leave the house, and as I recall, thought even wearing black was bad.

I forced myself daily to do the things I feared, it was hard.

The fix- recognizing what my inner fears were, the subconscious ones. Talk to yourself outloud about them! Oh, writing any and all fears down when you're suffering helps alot. Even yell. Or cry. You need to release something inside you and balance some chemical in your brain, (just my opinion). These are temporary fixes for that day, but they start to help you unload what you don't realize is in there.

Lastly, it takes months to years to get through it, but do what I said, and have a beer, if you know you're not the addictive type. Give yourself a break, it's ok!

PS: As a doctor once put it so simply to me " My barrel (brain) maintained a just full amount for years, but now it is overflowing (too many stressors have built up so my barrel is now just overflowing(with emotions) that don't want to stop"

If you are like me, probably one or two things triggered the overflow and now you can't seem to turn it off. Do like I said above. Good luck.

Edit spelling and PS

[edit on 12-4-2010 by SunnyDee]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
OP, I've skimmed this thread and may have missed something already stated, but it looks like lots of folks want to help you and there are those with the usual ATS banter. My 2c is: recongize that how you feel is a choice, including fear, and that it's your decision to indulge - you can fight the compulsion, give into , worry about it - choose a coping mechanism if you must but ultimately you are in control of your thoughts and emotions, not the other way around. Catchy phrase: if your thinking bothers you change it. Remember you are the thinker not the thought.

gj

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
All I can do is offer advice on similar problems I have encountered at some stage in my life.

People cannot see into your soul or read your mind, some people give the impression that they can but get used to that thought first.

You need time out and that is something that is hard to do because you have to calm your mind first.

I know it may sound silly at first but close your eyes and breath deeply, hold your breath for a few seconds and exhale and breath normally. After one or two minutes you will feel calmer.

Your body will respond because your body is hardwired. Thats why forcing a smile can have effects so tricking your body into relaxing is the first step.

Look up relaxation techniques and try them to see what works best for you.

Also one recent thing I have been doing is cutting out unnecessary burdens, ask yourself is it really necessary or vital to your survival, if not stop it.

In the end the answer is within you.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Sounds like panic attacks etc.

Best thing to do is to:
1. meditate
2. embrace humanity
3. love others unconditionally
4. help others when they are in need
5. realize that your fears are internalized weaknesses that reflect portions of your personality.
6. realize that there truly is NOTHING TO FEAR
7. Establish a relationship with nature. (Go out to a waterfall, or go to a park or a lake. Appreciate God's creation. Appreciate people regardless of whether you agree or disagree.)
8. Embrace God...not as a judge, but as a friend.
9. Spend time with family
10. spend more time with friends
11. Make more friends

Those things should help.

Much love to you and yours Doomsday...

Much love to all...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I used to have these same feelings, and it's NOT "just the way you're wired" as some other person posted.

I have overcome my ceaseless anxiety and fear, paranoia, by vigorous exercise and changing my diet. My anxiety was to the point of being physical where I felt like I had spiders crawling around in my solar plexus area.

I am serious my friend, look into taking up vigorous exercise and cut back on your carbohydrate levels unless it's fruit. Our foods are filled with preservatives that I think and many studies have shown, drive our testosterone levels down and elevate men's estrogen. Resulting in all the feelings you've described. Not to mention fat gain.

Check out this site for real health advice. www.alsearsmd.com

Good luck, you are not alone.

P.S.
When we have children men's testosterone levels naturally decrease as well. Goes back to when we were primitive so we wouldn't eat our young.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Everything that happens is meant to happen. Death is a natural part of life, it's okay. Trust in God and let go. I don't know what you believe in, but i don't believe in hell. Your time here is short, you should enjoy the moments that you have and enjoy life outside of all the distractions. And don't fear anything. You should try meditating as well. Fear is a crutch. it's not getting you anywhere and it's causing you to miss all the beautiful things that life offers.

Attack life, it's going to kill you one day.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I can relate a lot with the OP. The more time goes on, the more disillusioned I get with people, society, and even God (though I don't believe anymore). I have spent my whole life philosophizing and trying to find answers, only to go deeper than the rabbit's hole. About the only consolation and escape I get is in nature, and that is being aggresively destroyed by us humans (a MAJOR cause of my angst!). However, gardening has been a lifesaver for me.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

It is just the way you are my friend, your brain is wired that way.

Although I would suggest you seek a good psychotherapist, perhaps even a hypnotist to help.

This is core mental programming, it's going to take alot to change it, .... but it CAN be changed. right now I'm thinking hypnotherapy is the best solution.

But you should really consider a medication like a benzodiazepine ( xanax, valium) there arent really any bad side effects. and they will do wonders for you and your social life.

hey Dr.Sheep want to lay off the medical advice? those substances are some of the most addicting synthetic substances created by man thus far. you neglected to mention that he would eventually get hooked and it would RUIN his social life, and put his brain chemistry further out of balance (if that is infact the problem).

if you do take the substance route i would suggest taking one that will actually neutralize the imbalance, not mask it. particularly cannabis, as its much safer and not addictive, and neuro-protective. However i dont believe it will solve the problem, but it will make it more apparant.

stay away from anti-depressents, and anti-anxiety pills. unless your having a full blown uncontrollable panic attack equipt with hyperventilating, then maybe a valium would be suitable. but ill be honest a hit off a joint kicks in much faster than orally ingesting a pill. even if its "instant release" anything orally ingested has to go through the first pass metabolism which takes at LEAST 5 minutes, and during a panic attack those can be the longest 5 minutes of your life.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Seriously, you need to see a doc and get on something. You are obviously suffering from an anxiety disorder. No, that does not mean that big brother is going to dose you with something to make you a zombie. It will make your life easier. My wife has anxiety problems and can barely deal with life without her medications. That doesn't make you a freak, it just means you have something that not everyone else has to deal with. Are major allergy sufferers weirdos? No. Same goes for mental disorders. I was on medication for anxiety/depression myself for awhile. I slowly weaned myself off of it, under doctor supervision, until I didn't need it any longer. If nothing else, try it for awhile.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Doomsday, I am currently trying to pen a book for people like you (and me). I was once there as well. The constant news, and dread is overwhelming, and you cannot change the vast majority of the ails that the world is feeling.

Here is my very, very condensed version for you:

1. Prepare. The name of my book is GetReadyAlready. People often overlook the easiest things to prepare for. If the sun explodes tomorrow, or a Caldera like Yellowstone does a species killer eruption, no amount of Bug Out Bags, or stored food will help you. When I say PREPARE, it starts emotionally and religiously. Make amends with your family and friends. Take time to enjoy your children and your parents. Just sit and watch and smile at them. Listen a lot. Tell them how much you care, and how happy you are to be around them. Make sure that you spend every possible moment getting rid of regrets! As far as your prayers. Prayer should never make you feel worse? I start every prayer with thank yous for all of the things in my life that I can truly be thankful for. It takes awhile, and I try to be creative each time. By the time I am through being thankful, I really don't have anything left to ask for! I ask the Lord to forgive me, I know I am not perfect, and I ask the Lord to continue to guide me to fulfill my task in life, whatever that may be. What else can we do? I feel a lot better after that type of prayer.

If today is my last day, I will feel happy knowing that the last year of my life was spent with friends and family and that I have grown as a person, and that I stopped saying No to opportunities to bond with them. I also know that God and I are on the same page about my sins. I haven't got a handle on all of them, and I probably never will, but I seek to do better everyday, and I am honest with God and myself when I know I've messed up.

2. Prepare. The conventional way. Bug Out Bag. 6 months of food storage. Build your knowledge of your local landscape, and plant life, and water purification techniques. Devote a little time and money each week to this purpose. It won't take much to improve a great deal. It is also extremely healthy, and relaxing to stroll through the woods picking leaves and flowers and noticing the wildlife.

The first time I made a fire without matches or starter material was invigorating! I had to show it to every person I knew over the next couple of weeks. So silly, but so much fun, and I was very proud!

3. Prepare. Prepare your friends, family, and community. Get to know your neighbors. Join some local groups of nature hikers, or joggers, or the Tea Party, or the PTA. Get involved with what is going on around you. Let your friends and family know that you are curious about Survival techniques, and politics, and local government, etc. You don't have to be a loony to get involved and have a good time, and learn some new skills, and make some new friends. If SHTF, you will now have a network of support.

4. Prepare. Healthwise. If SHTF, your local ER won't be available for minor aches and pains. Your monthly prescription won't be available either. Get your ailments fixed now! Have that surgery you have been putting off. Get a check up. Get in shape. Lose some weight. Buy better shoes. Start getting the correct amount of rest each night. Eat Healthier. More water, less soda, more organic, less fast food. Etc, Etc. Start to trim your medication back just a little, and hoard some for emergencies. 6 months of food will be worthless with only 1 week of insulin. Get with your doctor about an emergency back up supply of critical medicines. If the doctor won't help, then just trim a day here or there and fill your prescriptions as usual until you start to build a surplus.

5. Prepare. Prepare financially. Get some life insurance. Write a will. Get rid of debts. Get your wife and kids on the House Deed. Gift your assests to people each year to help them avoid paying inheritance tax. Get an attorney, or an accountant. Prepare your estate for the inevitable. It doesn't matter if you are 20 or 80.

You see, the end is coming for you. That much is for certain. It might be a cosmic cataclysm, or it might be a trip on your front stoop and into a rock in the garden. You will die. . .eventually. You could die at any time, and it might not be the end of the world. It might just be a bone-headed accident. Every morning I kiss my wife and kids goodbye, and I get on a motorcycle to go 20 miles through a town full of College-age drivers. Everyday might be my last. I saw a guy get killed at an intersection just 2 nights ago!

Now, the big secret! If you are truly prepared. Prepared emotionally, religiously, physically, and economically. If you have communicated with your friends and family. If you have built your network of friends in the neighborhood and in the community. If you don't have any regrets left. If your family will be taken care of in your absence. If your wake will be a sad one, and a fulfilling one. If people will celebrate your life, and mourn your passing. Then. . . . what is there to worry about? Tell everyone you love them, say your prayers, go to bed, sleep like a baby, wake up and thank the Lord for another beautiful day to enjoy on this Earth with the people you love, and do it all over again! No worries!

Like I said. That is 150 pages condensed into a couple of paragraphs, but hopefully you get the idea. I understand the anxiety, but when you pull yourself out of the fog, and you look at the whole situation, life is pretty good, if you let it be!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I know what you mean. I too have been having this nagging anxiety in the back of my brain and the tips of my fingers. I have recently just sat in a quiet dark room and meditated, and this seems to help a bit. You are not alone because we ALL feel something coming. The reason being is that we can no longer ignore the connection with the energies around us, and they are going crazy right now. Be ready for the shift; it'll be over before we know it and we can all get back to life again.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Listen to little grandmother of the Wisdom Keepers and you will feel much better.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think you got doomsday overload. It has happened to me before, and here's what I usually do when it hits.

1. Quit watching the news or going on sites like ATS and the likes for a while. Focus on your own life and see that things aren't so bad in your own little world.

2. Listen to classical music or meditative-style music to relax.

3. If you're stressed out by the daily grind, start taking 15-30 minutes per day just for yourself. Doing something relaxing -- taking a long bath, painting, drawing, dancing, singing, making music -- some kind of right-brain activity that doesn't involve analytical thinking.

4. And most important: Put things in perspective and live in the Now. Ask yourself: What is my life like right here and now? Chances are that it's actually pretty good... all the stuff you're so deadly afraid of is in your (perceived) future, but there's no guarantee that it'll ever come true.

Try to live day by day, minute by minute. If you're afraid whether you can keep paying your bills, remind yourself that right here, right now, your bills are paid. If you're afraid, something could happen to your family, remember that right here, right now, they're OK. You get the drift.

Now, there's an even deeper way, if you're spiritual at all.

What you can do, for example, is repeat "I am" constantly and try to think of the true meaning of the phrase.

WHO ARE YOU?

Dive into yourself to find that out, and you will see that you're NOT your bills and your chores, you're NOT your money, you're not even the different roles you have in life (i.e., father/mother, employee, husband/wife, friend, son/daughter. You're NOT your job.

Then WHO ARE YOU?

If you go really deep and stick to it, you'll arrive at your inner core, the essence of who you really are... and you'll see that all the other stuff is just that, "stuff." And it has no bearing on your core reality.

I also read a lot of Carlos Castaneda in my day, and I always remembered Don Juan's saying, "Let your own death be your best advisor."

If you can imagine what it'll be like when you're dead -- whether you visualize lying on your deathbed, or being in heaven looking down, or being in an in-between dimension before being reincarnated -- all the petty, nitty-gritty stuff of the material world that you're now so worried about will seem completely ridiculous to you. Do this visualization every day, and you'll gain peace of mind, I promise.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
1. Take a break from ATS
2. Relax and realise the world is not coming to an end and you will always survive.
3. Go out and spend some time with people who see the lighter side of life
4. Breath and enjoy nature
5. enjoy who you are and what you have, you have more than many and less than others, that's the way it is.
6. Come back and don't get drawn in to all the doom and gloom... because seriously there is none, the world is what you make it.

Again just go out and have some fun, that will be the best cure for you because I've seen it work

[edit on 12/4/2010 by spitefulgod]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I used to have so much fear that I would stay up for days at a time (unmedicated and sober). The following is the only solution I've ever found. It's been 7 years now since I first tried this and it continues to work well for me.

Face your fears dead on.

When you start to have that rotten feeling in your gut and the fear starts to well up. Lay down, concentrate on the fear, ask for more fear, try to create more of the fear, imagine the worse, and then face it. Just give yourself the time and the space to fully accept what you're feeling. Don't look for a way out. Face it.

You will find that your fear will go away and you'll live in Freedom from the imagined "limitations" of the world. You will be a truly independent, brave, courageous participant in this world. You will no longer be at the effect of the world because hey, anything it has to dump on you, you can face.

Again, the only solution I've found to eliminate fear is to look it in the eye and welcome it into your life. Accept that at this moment you are afraid and need to face it. Don't try to go around it, don't look for philosophical solutions, just face it.

Or are you too afraid to look your fear in the eye? Because if you are, that truly is a problem. This solution requires the willingness to be uncomfortable.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Visit a psychiatrist.. talk out ur fears.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join