It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm filled with fear.... any suggestions on how to make this feeling go away?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I don't know how many years I've had this feeing... but this fear inside me started to escalate once I had children.

But the fear isn't even necessarily about my children's well-being... It's about everything.

I mean is this the reason why so many American's turn to prescription drugs and alcohol?
Well, while I refuse to take any medicine for anxiety that is prescribed by a doctor... I do tend to drink a few beers in order to relax and let the worries go away... but that needs to stop.

But the fact of the matter is it feels like the daily rat race in life is weighing me down... and I have this fear about bad things happening in the future that I have no control over.

My financial situation has me scared... and I still have plenty of money, but somehow the ways of the world have convinced me it's not enough.

Even when I pray to God I start to worry about going to hell for the sins I've committed.

And for some reason I'm afraid of being judged by people... I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I have this stupid fear of being judged.

And then on top of that... I have TPTB pushing fear into brain every single day I turn on the TV or read a newspaper.

and now that I'm getting older... I have fears about my health taking the turn for the worst.

I'm afraid to look at people in the eyes because I feel like they are looking at my soul, and I just tend to get this social anxiety when I'm hanging out with a group of friends... Usually I drink a few beers to help this problem... but then I wake up and I'm afraid I acted like a fool the night before because I was intoxicated.

I'm just getting sick of the constant worrying... It's like I want to blame the society I live in for all these fears... but deep down the only person I can blame is myself.

It's like I don't have any peace of mind.... and I'm afraid of living my life with all these conflicting thoughts circling around in my head. Even when I go to sleep I often have nightmares that seem pretty real.

I don't know... I was just wondering if other folks on ATS had similar feelings... or solutions on how to let go of these fears and .... well... how to not worry and be happy.

While there are times in life I'm able to relax and deep a take breath... It doesn't happen as often as it should.

But it does seem like Yoda had it right:

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

This is why it's so important that I put an end to this overwhelming feeling of fear that I have.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It is just the way you are my friend, your brain is wired that way.

Although I would suggest you seek a good psychotherapist, perhaps even a hypnotist to help.

This is core mental programming, it's going to take alot to change it, .... but it CAN be changed. right now I'm thinking hypnotherapy is the best solution.

But you should really consider a medication like a benzodiazepine ( xanax, valium) there arent really any bad side effects. and they will do wonders for you and your social life.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I suggest Dying. Not in the literal sense but die to everything that isn't happening in the current moment. Don't let it get to you thats why we have "time" so the only thing you have to worry about is right in front of you.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
I'm filled with fear.... any suggestions

Yes.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Take a break from ATS for a while. It will do you some good. Generally those that fear being judged, tend to judge themselves. Stop judging others, and you will soon stop worrying about being judged.

Just my $0.02

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

xanax and vallium are not going to be options.

I know too many people that hooked to those drugs and had a hard time getting off the medication. I tend to look at those types of drugs like cigarettes... while they temporarily relieve stress, it eventually causes more when you are unable to smoke one. So those drugs seem like they could do more harm than good.

I've never had a Panic Attack before... but I know people who have, and they say it's the worst feeling ever. I just hope I never experience that feeling.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

I'm filled with fear.... any suggestions

Yes.

I was just watching this clip on youtube... is this something similar?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Sit in full lotus -- fear is your kidney energy -- full lotus yoga over rides the kidney energy.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I concur with IntastellaBurst. Low dosage use of benzodiapines will not get you addicted. We all hear about the abusers and never really that much about how well people respond to Xanax for example.

Your constant worry is setting you up for a major panic attack. Speak with your doctor/psychiatrist about your concerns. I had them too. From experience, I can tell you I have not had to visit an E.R. thinking I was going to have a heart attack in 6 months. My world is much better without all that worry (thanx to Xanax). Negative thinking manifests itself physically. Please think long and hard about this. You obviously have much to live for and much more joy to experience.

I wish you the best of luck.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmaddness
Take a break from ATS for a while. It will do you some good. Generally those that fear being judged, tend to judge themselves. Stop judging others, and you will soon stop worrying about being judged.

Just my $0.02

Really the only people I've handed judgement to are the corrupt politicians in Washington that can get away with lying to me every single day...

other than that I feel as if I've been pretty humble in terms of judging others... and when I catch myself speaking about other people in a negative light, I soon remember my own faults and past mistakes.

while I'm guilty of stereotyping certain elements of society... I rarely judge individuals... but you are right about judging myself.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

I think a lot of people have experienced the same feelings you do in one way or another. But they usually change over time and give you something different to worry about. You know staying a live is risky business.

A good tactic if you worry a lot. Is to try and identify the problem and figure out a way to challenge it. That will make you more resistance and the other benefit is that you will learn ways to solve problems. Every problem we usually encounter is very often our own cause.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Its mood modification. HAARP

You are not alone, all you can do is swallow it all in and maintain.

I did notice once we got rid of our TV's and cable box... Our moods got much better all around, me and the fiance and the kids.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Are you feeling existential angst?

You are not alone.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
Are you feeling existential angst?

You are not alone.

Existentialist philosophers use the term "angst" with a different connotation. The use of the term was first attributed to Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard (1813–1855). In The Concept of Anxiety (also known as The Concept of Dread, depending on the translation), Kierkegaard used the word Angest (in common Danish, angst, meaning "dread" or "anxiety") to describe a profound and deep-seated spiritual condition of insecurity and fear in the free human being. Where the animal is a slave to its instincts but always conscious in its own actions, Kierkegaard believed that the freedom given to people leaves the human in a constant fear of failing his/her responsibilities to God. Kierkegaard's concept of angst is considered to be an important stepping stone for 20th-century existentialism. While Kierkegaard's feeling of angst is fear of actual responsibility to God, in modern use, angst was broadened by the later existentialists to include general frustration associated with the conflict between actual responsibilities to self, one's principles, and others (possibly including God). Martin Heidegger used the term in a slightly different way.
Angst is very often misused in today's society as a synonym for anger.

That's a good description of part of my problem...

I guess I've neglected my spiritual life to some degree... Even if the Bible is true or not... the teachings can help individuals live a certain type of lifestyle that isn't based upon the pleasures this world has to offer.

I've been selfish in that area... and I fear I will continue to act this way.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

STOP reading ATS I felt this way for several months after I started coming to ATS.

If you come ATS thier is a New scare almost everyday here on ATS.

Stop worrying and spend the time you have with your family and if something happens then it happens but you can't sit around worry becuase nothing may happen foe hundreds of years and you and your kids will be dead by then anyways.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I started feeling a bit like you describe. I don't have any family, and no one to take care of me, so with the recent economic situations, and other doom and gloom, I found myself becoming preoccupied with negative thoughts and anxiety. Also, I have a stressful job that added to my anxiety and crabbiness.

I got off of ATS for awhile, had some bouts of good physical exercise outdoors, and tried a bit of meditation, or whatever you want to call it. About 20 minutes a day of not thinking about anything. I just imagined I was looking into swirling fog. If a thought crept in, I blocked it out. This seemed to make me more relaxed.

During the day, I suppressed negative thoughts. I made a list of chores around the house and concentrated on finishing them.

It's too easy to get online and read all the doom and gloom, then start to dwell on it and let your mind become preoccupied with all the what-ifs that could happen.

Attack any problems you can fix, and get them out of the way. Think positively that you have done the best you could. Accept that some things may be out of your control, but be prepared the best you can. Good luck!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by slipknotrules2009

I don't think ATS is the problem...

It's more about the cards I've been dealt through out the coarse of my life... choices I've made in the past... and the future.

And also what you are saying is to go back to sleep... right?

While the truth might be a little scary I don't think it's a valid reason to ignore it.

But I agree... Less time on the internet and as someone said earlier in this thread... less TV (or no TV) could be a great help.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

This is why it's so important that I put an end to this overwhelming feeling of fear that I have.

I'm sorry Doomsday2029 but the entire first post contains not one ounce of emotion.
Further the entire thing reads like some kind of a mind hack. One that
makes the readers here on ATS say the words in their own minds.
What I'm saying is the post contains no evidence of fear,
yet may very well cause it in people who read it.
The ones strong enough to be immune have
responded, but what about lurkers.
What damage have you done.

Try using the word "our"
instead of
I

David Grouchy

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Sounds to me you need a hobby take up golf, Or maybe work out in a gym trying to get in shape join a bowling league, Go shoot pool somewhere . What ever you can think of that you enjoy doing it will give your brain a rest and as this becomes a routine your stress levels will go down. Good luck

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
"The only thing you have to fear is fear itself". You have heard that your whole life, but think hard about it.

Why worry about things you cannot change? You cannot change some things.

Why worry about things you have no control over? There are too many things that we do not have control over. Some things happen if we like it or not.

Why worry about money? Think of what you really need to live, it's not as much as you think.

Why worry about death? It will catch up with you sooner or later anyway. We all go home someday.

I think that things are not happening any more frequent than they ever did, just we hear about them instantly around the world instead of days later in a newspaper.

Tell the people you love, you love them everyday.

Laugh at least once a day.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join