It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm filled with fear.... any suggestions on how to make this feeling go away?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by skywalker_
Visit a psychiatrist.. talk out ur fears.

A psychologist would be a much better option. Psychiatrist's are simply drug dealers. Psychology is concerned with the causes of dysfunction, not covering them up with medication.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by brianmg5]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Usually, your first panic attack is the worst, because you haven't experienced it and it is scary.

If any part/parts of your body begin to get numb, and your heart rate increases, and your mind starts moving faster; relax.

Take deep breaths. You aren't going to die.

My first one, I was probably around 15 or 16. I thought I was having a heart attack. It felt like my heart was beating 50x/second.

One little trick I learned is if your heart rate increases too much, take your pulse. That's when you'll realize that your mind was making the situation seem worse than it was; your pulse will be way lower than you thought it would be.

Deep breaths. Check pulse.

Get a nice big glass of ice water(hold the fluoride ;]) and call someone you love, whether it be a friend or family member, and tell them what happened.

I was lucky enough to be in the same room as my mom, who's had anxiety all her life. My panic attack lasted maybe 3 minutes, then when I started freaking out, it went away in an instant when she told me to take deep breaths.

Also, there's nothing wrong with meds when you know how to use them. The ONLY time they get addictive is if you choose to take more than you should. After that, then you'll take more and more.

I suggest xanax too, because you don't have to take it every day.

You'll know when you're going to have a panic attack if you've had a few, so all you do is take half a xanax, and it works fast.

Or, if you know you're going to have a stressful day, take half in the morning, and half after lunch.

I've never needed a full one, and my anxiety is considerably bad.

I'm rambling. Hope this helped.

Have an amazing day!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Worry about what you can conceivably control and forget about everything else. Don't give me that... "Can't do that. It may be easy for you but...." excuse. If it is something you are really tired of, then act accordingly. otherwise, you have become the sheeple they want you to be.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
get a job?

take a walk in the park

its not so gloomy

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
A part of your problem may well be physical. Improper nutrition, diseases, etc. can cause your brain to signal strange emotions. A common example is PMS. But there is more. See this excellent site for physical help:
Dr Sarah Myhill MB BS

As you mention yourself, TV and newspapers carry mainly bad news. This is a distorted view of reality. So why bother. Simply stop consuming that crap for 3 months and see what happens. Hint: While the media is still spreading fear, the stock markets have made huge gains in the past months. Now is the time when the financial elite is making big money. You are supposed to remain in fear so you don't get in their way.

Focus on something productive. Work hard and long. Helps your mental well-being.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
You mentioned the seeking of God and worrying about your sins and going to hell. The Bible says, 2 Timothy 1:7: “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (NKJV) Your fear thus has come from a source other than God. Everyone has a "suggeation" that might help. God has the CURE!

Isaiah 41:10 encourages us, “Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” Often we fear the future and what will become of us. But Jesus reminds us that God cares for the birds of the air, so how much more will He provide for His children? “So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows”

In Psalm 56:11 the psalmist writes, “In God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” You can replace fear in your life with determination and victory through your faith in God. Job said this, “Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him” (Job 13:15 NKJV).

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Yes, listen to all the many good suggestions really just where you put your focus:

- Goto your gym everyday and make sure your body is strong
- stop listening to news or talk, set your radio to NPR or goto iTunes or Amazon MP3 and get songs you like and listen to that in car
- focus daily on what you want to accomplish and work hard on that and tune out distractions

You're fine!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Whenever I am somewhat anxious or outright nervous I watch the "Annoying Orange". If you haven't discovered the Annoying Orange, then I would encourage you to do so because I am certain there is an episode that will make you feel better. Take a look and enjoy.

www.youtube.com...

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Read some books by Meher Baba.....and watch movies of him....always makes me feel better.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaz490
I suggest Dying.

Lol I was going to say the samething. Nothing is really permanant thank goodness. Just enjoy what you have especially the ones you love and love you back.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
go to youtube, pull up some relaxing ,healing music and do some deep slow breaths, that is good to unlink from fear

good luck to you

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I don't know if it will work for you but you might try sipping some hot chicken or beef broth instead of coffee, tea or [god forbid] soda pop.

Broth seems to be soothing, as well as garlic & onions.
Maybe red pepper?

Cutting way down on sugar might help get rid of some of that 'looking into your soul' feeling.

If you try any/all of them & want to tell me what worked or didn't for you that would be informative.

Hope you get past the worst of it.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hi there,

Congratulations brother. You are after taking a massive step foward. You have asked a question. You have asked for help. I must applaud your truthfulness. You are indeed truly brave.

Your story was the same as mine. I can relate exactly to what you posted. I was immersed in this fear you describe. We feed it constantly. I have been fighting a battle against this for over three years now friend and I can promise you now , there is nothing externally or internlly that I fear anymore. This is only the start of a very long journey for me. I have only now rid myself of the fear. It is only now that I can start to really live because I have been set free.

I have been afraid of the dark all my life. It is only in the darkness that the truth is revealed. It is only in darkness reality reveals itself. I am not afraid of the dark.

I used to drink and smoke. Then the easiest way of pleasing your body after drinking is to eat, lots of junk usuallly. A constant cycle of posoning the body. I don't think I seen you mention if you smoked. Can I just say if you do , knock it on the head asap. It used to give me serious paranoia. It took me years to realize that when I would light up my head used to fill with horrible thoughts. Nighmarish even. These are ordinary cigerettes.I rarely hear people talk about this. I think people are too embarresed to talk about this kinda stuff. Anyway. Drinking is not much better. You know yourself what you should and shouldn't be taking into your body. You don't have to turn into a health nut. Just ease back on the posions. It does help.
I don't do prescriptions , never trusted doctors. No offence. Just a firm believer in self healing. I promise it works.

You can start by asking yourself what you are really scared off. Write a list. When you have th elist put it away , somewhere safe.

The next bit, you need to trust me. You need to sit down. You then must ask for the answers. You have to do this. You must make it clear, you are ready for this and you want answers. Maybe the next time your alone , away from kids and partner you can do this. You might need a few hours. When you ask the question, you need to sit and wait. Wait. You need to let the fear show, let the anger show, you need to start and let the cracks to come. Let the shell start to break. It will happen. Crawl around on the floor if you have too. When you let this out and it will hurt you can start to breath. My advice to you then is after your shell has broke go and have a shower and try and relax.

By doing this you have only asked the question. I can tell you by asking this of yourself , you have started a chain reaction. Your life and your world around will start reavealing itself to you. Simply by asking for the answers. You will probably find yourself being hit my some very subtle sledgehammers. You will find some very minor occurances will reveal huge answers to you. You will be lead to places, people , books, whatever is needed. You will see this work magically before your very eyes.

Only you can do this. We all have a path to take and everyone's is different. This expierence will probably start by letting you examine your current beliefs. You will find new parts to these. You spoke of God and guilt. I know exactly what you are talking about. You will find new peace there. Each time you move forward you can spend time in this new awareness or you can move forward. I could write pages and pages of nformation on this but you must take the steps yourself. This may take a week or two to start working but you will know when it does. And you keep thinking you done it , but more and more mysteries will reveal themseves to you as long as you are open to it.

You already have all the answers and you are the Key that will unlock these. You will eventually embrace the fear. You will go back to the place where you wrote the list and look at it. You will laugh at it.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

One way of removing fear is not coming to this website anymore. Honestly, ATS drives the fear paranoia in individuals to new extremes.

Also, with the media (Fox News mainly) telling you the country's going to collapse because of the rumors of dictatorship and the removal of freedoms because theres a Democrat in office (gasp!), not surprised there is a large amount of fear in so many people these days.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Two suggestions
Observe yourself when you experience feelings of fear. Note what kinda thought patterns create it. Note how you body reacts, ie you tfeel you shoulders getting tighter or something.
Your fears are probley created through thought processes. These are not you. You are the observer. You will have tendecies to draw to the same types of thoughts again and again because we are emotionaly addicts. Thoughts and feelings are addicitive. So control you thoughts. If you have fearful thoughts, ice them. You are the captian of your ship. You are in charge not your thoughts, not your emtions. you can use a physcial trigger ie become aware when your shoulders are gettin tighter to trigger blanking your thoughts. You can imagine all your thoughts like a ball of light or something and make it smaller til it disapears. Find a way that works for you. Your own key to a lock. Like most things this will be hard at first and requir effort, but gets easier in time.
Look for yourself there is no benefit from listening to these thoughts. It il oftern the same types of thoughts repeating themselves again and again. They dont help you solve anything,
real problem solving comes from the back mind, not your cognitive function.
So control them you will loose nothing

Sit down in a relax place and in anyway u can induce the fear. Feel it, accept it. Make it pulse through your body. It is a primary human energy. Once you feel it and accept it is no longer fear instead it becomes a powerful alley

kx

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Cont.

It is only when you embrace the fear you will let go of it.

I was scared of everthing. A big fear was of heights. I was very embarressed by it. I could never go near the edge of a cliff. I felt I would always be overcome wth an urge to jump of.

Recently I was visiting a seaside resort I love. Theres is an island I always walk out to , its so peaceful. It has huge cliffs. I always stayed away from the edge. The last time I was there I went out to the island and then I realised I was sitting on the edge of the cliff with legs dangling over it. I started blubbing. It dawned on me what I was doing and realised I was no longer scared. No longer scared of anything. The feeling is impossible to put into words. I have witnessed many miralces too on the jouney.

I can offer you two small things to get you started.

First, learn to breathe again , if you haven't already. Start doing some breathing meditations. Its very important to breathe properly. When somebody told me to do this I thought they were mad. Then one day it clicked and made a huge difference.

Next, you mentioned God. There is a book you should get. Its called 'The Prophet' by Kahlil Gibran. He was a christian who wrote this a long time ago. It will start you thinking. It also has an amazing page about your kids.

Have fun buddy.

(If you ver need advice U2u me but generally you will be able to help yourself most of the time.)

[edit on 12-4-2010 by JohnySeagull]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Its not your fault you are afraid, As a decendant of the very first living thing on this planet you represent an unbroken chain of life that has been in no small way succeeded because you knew when to be afraid. Fear told countless ancestors when to fight and when to take flight.

When you understand that every fiber of your being is conditioned to respond to this stimuli you can understand why you see "A Tiger in the grass" every place you look in our current world. Today though our tiger in the grass is a host of dangers we can't run from or we actually don't have enough danger in our lives so we create it because we know fear keeps us alive and sharp.

Understand Fear and it cannot control you. Keep it handy, know the real dangers and address them.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
You don't need a shrink. Try balancing your body first and by pumping up the endorphins by getting some exercise.

Put on some heavy sweat pants and shirt and Work out until you sweat. Beginning with 45 minute workouts, jogging cycling, anything to get you to work up a sweat and I guarantee you'll feel 100% better.

Instead of hanging out here on ATS with alot of other depressed individuals and absorbing their negativity, try watching some comedy movies, or anything to make you laugh. Laughter has been proven to be very healthy.

Partake in activities that really make you happy.

Golfing, Tennis, Chess, Board Games....whatever you can do that will make you laugh.

I ride my bicycle and/or motorcycle on quiet country roads carving the lines thru turns for example and it just puts a big smile on my face after wards !!

Think about Positive things and not about running out of money, your health, being bombed by terrorists, the sky falling ...etc.

Think about happy things !!
Think about all that you DO have , thank GOD and be grateful for it.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Just noticed one other small thing. Change your avatar! Its no wonder your worried about your kids.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

1. Get off of this forum.
2. Turn off your TV.
3. Don't buy any newspapers.
4. Go out whenever there's sunshine.
5. Splash in puddles when it rains.
6. Possibly as a last resort, the next time you're in a shopping district approach a nice looking woman and tap her on the shoulder and say "tag, you're it" before running away.

^^^ What he said.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join