It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Top Tip
Everytime you go out of the house for a walk, take your trash in a suermarket carrier bag and stick it in a public litter bin (remember to shred any documents with your name and address on first).

job done

PEACE,
RK

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent
Top Tip
Everytime you go out of the house for a walk, take your trash in a suermarket carrier bag and stick it in a public litter bin (remember to shred any documents with your name and address on first).

job done

They'll probably put cameras in the bins to stop people doing this, public bins are not supposed to be used for household waste

We could all throw out a little less, i know my family throw out 1 bin bag every 2 weeks. The thing that really reduces the amount we throw out is a compost bin

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
What is the purpose of compost? 99% of the time its to help the garden... How many people actively supplement their gardens with fertilisers?? I am willing to bet that hardly any....

I don't have a garden.. I have plot of grass that the kids can play on. What use would a compost heap be for me? how big will it get over a year as I don't have any use for a compost heap??

We use our compost but ok you wouldn't so how about this. We have two bins and they are emptied once a year. We cook every day, fresh stuff so we have a ton of waste but we struggle to fill these two bins. We fill one and then start on the other, by the time that's full the other one has broken down a serious amount.

So you could do this and when both got full you could advertise on a website like freecycle, free compost for anyone willing to pick it up and there you have it, you throw out way less, someone gets free compost and the world is a tiny fraction better

A really tiny fraction but if everyone did a little it adds up don't you think?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by blerk
Wait, what? How does a chip weigh a whole wheelie bin? I really don't get this. Have I missed something?

It doesn't, really, it just says "This is bin #25223". The garbage truck has weight sensors on, and an interrogator. So the truck reports back that bin 25223 weighed about 40 pounds. Later that gets connected with Mr Jones through a database lookup.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Wow, just wow....

I can't believe people would do this (actually I do believe it and that is the sad part).

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by queuepolitely

First lets address your childish name calling. Yes dear, my name is Space Cadet, I named myself that for several reasons, the main one being my interest in the subject matter of space. So you are right, I did aptly name myself. Now in the context of space cadet meaning 'out there', as you suggest without even knowing me, this is inccorrect and non applicable. I do have my blonde moments from time to time but am not 'out there'.

Second issue to address: I am not from the UK. I am from the US. I have been having my garbage weighed and sorted for many years. I do not mind, matter of fact I go at times to the center and sort it myself. I feel good about recycling. And as for those areas that do not have pickup services, they may take their garbage to a recycling center or landfill of their own accord.

This article states facts then fills in fiction. If you would sort through the facts and forget the fiction you will see that all they are doing is weighing your garbage. There would be a lot better ways to listen in on you than from your garbage can if they wanted to, they could put microchips in your shampoo and listen in, or on you license, in you tissue, and gather much more information quickly than waiting for you to go out and talk to your garbage can. As for what goes in your can, well we have always been at the mercy that another might see it. That is the breaks with garbage. You throw it out, you neither want or need it, if you are throwing out vital information in the form of a letter or bill, you need to know that even the government warns you against doing such. Those items should be fully destroyed.

edit to add: In all fairness this is taking place where cameras practically record everything, big brother issues have long been a concern of this population, I don't live in that type of atmosphere, perhaps if I did I might find myself thinking that they ARE watching me and listening to me from the garbage can.

In a nutshell this is not the begining of us being spyed upon, it is all about being held liable for your garbage. Yes, there are going to be problems, when others place garbage in yours, ect, but just like we do now here, they will adjust upon each complaint.

[edit on 6-3-2010 by space cadet]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Silk

how do SGB bins create more rubbish ? is it 33kg per month , yyear , week ???

that claim baffles me

as , i can only speak for myself - but all my rubbish still goes out my back door in the same bins - and us the product of an unchanged life style

the SGB bins are only a transit point between my house and the bin wagon

i must admit that i do not propperly recylce the waste from my bedroom , bathroom and den bins , only the kitchen has dual bins now so i can put crap in the waste bin and glass / metal / plastic in the recycle

we changed system 3 years ago - and IMHO my rubbish [ in the bins ] is now less - as we also have a wate paper sack now - which i do use propperly - and that is always brim bfull every fortnight [ my paper used to go in the refuse sacks under the old system ]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Well i thik its gonna put people of recycling they will just burn the rubbish instead or dump it elsewhere. i dont see how weighing the amount we throw away should matter council taxes are payed so the council should do its job and removed our waste.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'm really interested in how someone even obtains a job working for big brother or doing something really top secret

Obviously there exists a lot of people doing shady top secret things and they never blow whistles, heh how amusing

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Head in the sand me thinks?
I`ve removed these buggers twice from my bins,
no letters or info from local councils to tell us that
our bins have been chipped??hmmm I would think
this is very apt for ATS no?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lemywinxs
Well i thik its gonna put people of recycling they will just burn the rubbish instead or dump it elsewhere. i dont see how weighing the amount we throw away should matter council taxes are payed so the council should do its job and removed our waste.

Perhaps it's a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other but whatever, I don't think this is a non story.

Most of us delete tracking cookies from our PC so it doesn't seem smart having the same sort of thing tracking a bin.

You simply cannot trust people not to do the wrong thing.

There was talk of the spermarkets introducing chips inot thier products, if the population are preconditioned with systems like bing tracking maybe we should put the handcuffs on ourselves?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What is the law against destroying these bin chips? And where about's are these chips installed? Plus how much are these chips worth?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Why is it so unbelievable that the county council would do this, for sure of course they would because they can. Tax man can do as he pleases so for those who laugh at this are just ignorant and rather they have star's for their comment's.

Tax man will find new mean's always to pay back for the recession debt. Its even against the law in the UK to leave your bin on the pavement when its not on the day for collection as silly as it sound's people can sue for injuries and obstruction for women with push chair's and the list goes on.

Do your reading, its all there. I always remember the silly law's as they are quite funny.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashar
reply to post by space cadet

bins bins bins= MONEY MONEY MONEY

I agree on banning the fancy packageing but dont think recycled bog roll should be used to wrap good candy and food while were around THE TOPIC GARBAGE AND recycling well the sewage should not be spread on our crops ever period especially with all those antidpresants and viruses in and mixed with all sorts of human feces crap..

]

ramble on every time i sing that song sorry for saying are you 20

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by yodagod
There was talk of the spermarkets introducing chips inot thier products, if the population are preconditioned with systems like bing tracking maybe we should put the handcuffs on ourselves?

Don't really need to other than for inventory and re-order purposes.

You're going to go through a checkout stand that knows all the UPC codes of the things you're buying, and if you pay with a check or card, or use your affiliation card, they can tie all the purchases to you. Wallyworld has cameras that take photos of you at the checkout you likely don't know about as well.

At one time we worked on a system for a well-known marketing/data collection company that would keep tabs on that and send you direct mail based on your choices. If you swapped from Coke to Pepsi, you'd get a "why did you leave us" mailer with a Coke coupon. Most people will use a payment method that allows tying them to the purchase. If not, the current crop of face recognizers could use the checkout camera to do the same if you use cash.

You'd be amazed at the data you can extract from people's purchasing habits.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Just a few points...

1. Can anyone tell me how they make the chips resilient to UK weather (we just had a low of -16ish Celsius this winter in England, and have had plus 40 odd in the summer...?

2. There have been recent journalist investigations (can't find it now, anyone else seen it?) into the state of UK waste and recycling, and they found that much/the majority of (plastic) waste collected separately as 'recycling' ended up going into landfill anyway (in the many counties they looked at), because we currently lack the economic/practical resources to make it practical/viable on the scale we are now collecting it (I think they mentioned demand for the end products had evaporated too post recession, as places like China/India no longer required them for manufacturing...).

Now, I think the whole drive on this in the UK comes from EU directives, whereby the local authorities are now fined (quite a lot I think) unless they meet quotas for reducing and controlling the amount of waste going to landfill. So presumably, if they are still bothering to (pay to) collect it under the premise that it will be 'recycled', while in fact it sits at a depot before being transported (in more trucks/expense) to a landfill, they must be doing it either a). because this enables them to log the collection in a way that gets them round the fines/audit trail, or b). to avoid massive political embarrassment, or c). both...?

Perhaps, it is the impetus of these EU directives (laws) that complicates even further that point about 'voting out' whoever came up with this idea in the UK context. In fact this may be one of the prime examples of how many see detached EU lawmakers are impacting on our domestic choices, economies and lives in a way that appears to be flawed and needs fixing, whilst nobody seems to know how to tackle it in any common sense kind of way. So for now, the issue outlined above continues, and instead of the waste going straight to landfill (saving lorry fuel/pollution/costs), the EU fines being waved until a viable solution is found, and alternative measures, such as funded pressure on manufacturers/retailers/packaging join the initial model of recycling....I'm interested in knowing what others think?

[edit on 6-3-2010 by curioustype]

[Found this, but not sure this was the one I remember seeing...Sky news report "Downturn Hits Recycling Demand"...

This too from bbc... link

I am sure I saw a follow up investigation quite recently which reported that due to quality and demand/economic issues, quite a lot of recyclates were indeed going to landfill now...still looking for it though...

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Queue rise in fly tipping.

Well done goverment, way to think ahead.

You are probably correct. However, what would you do to reduce waste by everybody?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Hey fellas i got a great idea! You all know the price of metal these days is up right? Well its our turn to fight back. We should all remove the spy chips and sell them to a scrap metal dealer.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

ha!! these guys are obsessed with our trash, you ever see a movie where the fbi rummages through someones garbage and now this.. they can not think about anything else./

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Hey fellas i got a great idea! You all know the price of metal these days is up right? Well its our turn to fight back. We should all remove the spy chips and sell them to a scrap metal dealer.

Yeah erm the chips are really tiny and mostly silicon, so this wouldn't work

Another point to mak is how they will prevent people from removing the chips. I have heard in trial schemes they fined people if the chip went missing, but then how do they prove it wasn't you that did it? I suppose they could argue that you must secure the bin, but lots of people don't have the room to do that.

The scheme was designed to encourage people to recycle and create less waste but it fails on every level.

1. People producing excess waste will fly tip.

2. People will start putting stuff in other peoples bins.

3. People will start putting bags in public bins, resulting in more work for the council and therefore more taxes used.

4. The cost of the scheme means more wasted taxes, this money could go towards more important things, like school lunches.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join