It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins

www.dailymail.co.u k

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins: 60pc rise in electronic bugs as council snoopers plan pay-as-you-throw tax

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
The growing threat of a stealth tax on the rubbish we throw away was exposed by startling figures yesterday.

More than 2.5million homes now have wheelie bins fitted with microchips to weigh their contents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

But yesterday, research by the Big Brother Watch campaign group showed that the use of chipped bins has quietly spread over the past year.

Big Brother?

In March 2009, a survey based on Freedom of Information inquiries showed there were 42 councils which used bins with microchips. But the latest check, also based on FOI requests, put the number of authorities with electronic bins at 68 - one in five of all those that collect household rubbish.

Alex Deane of Big Brother Watch, said: 'The number of local councils placing microchips in bins is increasing, despite the fact that only one of them has volunteered to trial the Government's pay-as-you-throw scheme.

'If local authorities have no intention to monitor our waste then they should end the surreptitious installation of these bin microchips.'

Spying on us through our trash?

The campaign group complained that the bins allow councils to examine household rubbish and sell the information to commercial concerns as well as to impose taxes.

Please help me up. I am swimming in the whiskey river.

www.dailymail.co.u k
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Deaf Alien]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Queue rise in fly tipping.

Well done goverment, way to think ahead.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

This is hilarious. Really. I cannot stop laughing

Come on, this is a trash story, and is not worthy of ATS, please guys, don't start flagging and starring this thread, let it die.
It is not a story about being spyed on, it is all about weighing your garbage. No big whoop.

edit to add: I noticed that there were 3 flags when I posted. 3 posts and 3 flags. I didn't flag. Now there are 5 flags. Are you people really buying into this bunk? Or just flagging to flag?

[edit on 5-3-2010 by space cadet]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

It is not a story about being spyed on, it is all about weighing your garbage. No big whoop.

Hello?

It also warned that collection of data from chipped bins could show when households were on holiday, opening the way to abuse by criminals.

However, in 2008 nearly 100 councils ran investigations into the contents of their residents' bins, in some cases to check on what rubbish they dump and in others to try to obtain information on their incomes and lifestyles.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Pesonally I don't have anything to be worried about. They will discover I have dogs, I drink a little, and cook good stuff. What?

Wouldn't you imagine that the portion that 'might' tell when you are on vacation would be a program that is notified only when you notify them? So if you notify them not to pick up your garbage and they enter into your account to state that, it would seem the software and location of that info would be at the office, not in your garbage can. A man can tell if a can is empty or not, I would suppose even if only the truck picks up the can, as I have seen them do, the weight tells them it is empty, and I doubt they have to report that to headquarters.

I wish someone WOULD pay attention to what is in the garbage. They would discover many many meth houses, they could turn them in and help the millions of kids growing up in them. Hell they could check up on food stamp recipients and see if they are actually buying groceries or not with their stamps. I really cannot think of bad stuff that they could find in mine of any of my neighbors right off the bat. It is not like a camera is in your garbage can watching you. It is your garbage.

All they want to know is are you going over the limit of what you put in the bin.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Wasn't there a saying.... When governments would start to overstep their boundaries into our personal lives, making it perfectly ok if we "have nothing to hide" ?

I don't want governments to know if I drink, or have dogs.

It is sick to be all for opening up this kind of invasion, because some people will cheerlead for the government, in the name of making sure others are "buying groceries or not with their stamps", or running a meth lab. None of anyone's damn business.

I feel like putting these in peoples' bins without them knowing, was incredibly deceptive and disgusting.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
This cant work, people are just going to put their trash in their neighbors can or people walking by can throw trash into any bin they want. Who says they have to to be kept in the garage?
This is stupid, and its probably not for garbage purposes at all, its just another way to spy on people.
I find it hard to believe that people are just taking this lying down, no one finds anything weird about things like this anymore. Game over.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
If you think this is bad, just wait for all the cost cutting to come after the election, things are going to get pretty ugly, more measures will come in to secretly tax us, council taxes are going to need to increase, if we want ourrubbish picked up.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Wait, what? How does a chip weigh a whole wheelie bin? I really don't get this. Have I missed something?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Why can't you just vote the knucklehead who's idea it was out of office and end his political career forever? Make it clear to anyone else who ever tries it again that he will meet the same fate. That should do it. Coerce your councils to do what you want by holding their jobs for ransom.

But, it doesn't work if you don't follow through.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

making sure others are "buying groceries or not with their stamps", or running a meth lab. None of anyone's damn business.

How can you say that these things are none of anyone's damn business????? Do you advocate the manufacture and use of meth????
Do you think misusing the welfare programs is OK ????
Those were just 2 worthy items I came up with that could benefit from keeping up with people's garbage. But that is not what they are wanting. They just want to know how much garbage you are throwing out.

edit to add: My frustration with insane responses such as yours, and insane threads has just about given me the will to stop coming here, then I realize that unless people come back and respond to insane statements, the teenagers on here might start thinking there is truth in all the threads here. I prefer to post a little more responsively.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I advocate not being spied on, just because some people are paranoid about what their neighbor might or might not be doing!!!

Why end it at spying on our garbage? We should have the government spy, to make sure we're eating healthy. Too many sweets can be bad for us, afterall.
We should have government spy to make sure no one gets the bright idea to fart in an elevator. This can seriously ruin someone else's day.

Maybe we need a government employee with us all hours of the day, to make sure we are only doing what they think we should be doing. Problem solved.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

I advocate not being spied on, just because some people are paranoid about what their neighbor might or might not be doing!!!

Why end it at spying on our garbage? We should have the government spy, to make sure we're eating healthy. Too many sweets can be bad for us, afterall.
We should have government spy to make sure no one gets the bright idea to fart in an elevator. This can seriously ruin someone else's day.

Maybe we need a government employee with us all hours of the day, to make sure we are only doing what they think we should be doing. Problem solved.

You get all that from a garbage can that weighs your garbage. Strange, sounds quite paranoid to me. And to state clearly that producing meth or stealing food stamps is none of anyone's business sounds like you do advocate both.

I do not advocate spying by the government on us. This is not the man, it is the GARBAGE MAN.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Maybe we also need someone to come in and make sure we're brushing our teeth.

We could also advocate the strict monitoring of our internet browsing, make sure we only browse gov't approved sites. (gettin' there...*sigh*)

Maybe we should add a "sin tax" for couples, where they are either monitored or report their bedroom behavior so that it can be taxed.
Why not? All other sins are heavily taxed.

We should have government monitor our TV watching time, any less or more than gov't approved, is bad.

Regardless of what I advocate, I don't want government spying on ANYONE, even if I disagree with what they do. Even if I hate someone, none of our rights or privacies should be trampled.
It is then only a matter of time until ALL of our rights and privacies are trampled.

I guess privacy means a lot more to some of us than others...........

Orwell sends his greetings.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Why can't you just vote the knucklehead who's idea it was out of office and end his political career forever? Make it clear to anyone else who ever tries it again that he will meet the same fate. That should do it. Coerce your councils to do what you want by holding their jobs for ransom.

But, it doesn't work if you don't follow through.

Because UK politics doesn't work that way.

You vote in a party, not a person.

This idea would have been agreed by a committee of council representatives, who are seperate from the elected officials, who in local gov, only really have the power to voice the concearns and opinions of their constituents to parliament.

It is very rare in the UK that 1 person can have the overwhelming power to make decisions like this.

Also, the guy that originally came up with the idea is probably not an elected memeber of parliament, but an employee of the state in some think tank somewhere.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

It also warned that collection of data from chipped bins could show when households were on holiday, opening the way to abuse by criminals.

However, in 2008 nearly 100 councils ran investigations into the contents of their residents' bins, in some cases to check on what rubbish they dump and in others to try to obtain information on their incomes and lifestyles.

Originally posted by Space Cadet... after above was already posted...

I do not advocate spying by the government on us. This is not the man, it is the GARBAGE MAN.

I will admit to not being completely up to date on my UK political terminology but councils do not equate to the garbage man do they?

Sure doesn't seem like the GARBAGE MAN (as you screamed) was spying on its citizens when you read the bolded bit, that had already been provided for you.

If you don't advocate spying by the government... you'd be totally and completely against this.

What you guys shooooouuuuuulllldddd do over there is buy all the illegal narcotics (not for personal use), all the over sized dildos, all the magnum sized condoms (filled to the brim with hair conditioner), a box of tampons and a bottle of ragu (you fill in the blank), and generally anything horrible and nasty you can think of and absolutely flood your trash bins!! Do not leave anything but the most horrid of horrid in your trash bins!! If they're lookin' for sumpin', give 'em sumpin' to find!! hehehehe

Please use the above example only as a last resort, first order of business should be getting that law changed. If (when) they don't listen to you? Well... fill those trash bins with horse manure!!!!!

Make them regret ever making this decision to search through your trash... doooooo ittttttttttt

[edit on 5-3-2010 by ImaNutter]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

It may start as weighing bins, then charging by weight.

Microchips are getting smaller and smaller and can collect more and more info, many products purchased have chips in them them, so now it could be more than just weighing bins, but also collecting data from cash purchases which arn't collected via card transactions.

I would prefer that councils stay out of my trash.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

How much is thos going to cost. Is this a preliminary step to charging per weight of garbage? Again cue more flytipping. If it isn't a cue for flytipping why is it being done?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I would rather be told whether the rubbish we put in the recycling bags is
actually processed, or sent to China or India, like some authorities do.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join