It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
This is atrocious...

I can tell you that I have a family of four and the current waste disposal situation just doesn't cut the mustard...

I'm not saying that we should not recycle our waste, I'm saying that we are paying for a service that is not being rendered.

My experience.

We have three bins, one for plastics / Cardboard - One for organic waste (not cooked) and one for general waste.

Having a child under the age of 2 and one aged 5 you can image there are a lot of waste that falls under either plastics / cardboard or general.

The bins are picked up in order recycle one week then the next general.
So effectively each bin has a pickup of two weeks.

Summer comes the sun is warm and so are the swarm of flies hanging around our bins, after 1 week there are maggots on the bins. After two weeks the stench is gut wrenching.

The plastics / cardboard bin gets full in one week and the remainder of the material has to go in black bin liners that the council won't pick up - they only collect the bins..

So...

Every week I have to go to the local tip and dump my excess waste... I pay for a service through my council tax and effectively have to supplement this service.

I have asked for a larger bin I would even pay more for this.. But guess what?? The council said we only supply bigger bins to those with households of 5 people or more..

Now some may say that we should look to reduce our rubbish.. This is not possible when your children eat food that comes in bulky packaging such as plastic cartons / bottles / cardboard cartons etc..

Nappies and various baby paraphernalia cannot be recycled so has to go in the general waste.

The organic bin I now refuse to use for health reasons, why would I put the health of my children in danger just so the council can save a few £££...

So it now seems having spoken with the local council that there is now a new thinner general waste bin being supplied that has an even smaller capacity than the normal general waste bin we have...

What gives??

I agree that if something has no further use and it can be recycled then it should be, however stating people who genuinely produce more waste than others do should be penalised is just stupendous.

It seems to me that the populace is being penalised for a problem that does not rest on their shoulders.

Simply put, if you want a ball to go through a hoop you don't reduce the size of the hoop you increase it.

If the goal is to truly recycle why reduce the size of the bins? Surely you increase the size of the recycle bins so people can do more??

So my take on this is that Recycling is a Scam!! Recycling has less to do with environmentalism than it does in reducing service level and cost but increasing the cost and Burdon on the populace.

O.k. that’s my rant on the subject over.

Korg.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

This is not about spying.
Its about making people ACCOUNTABLE for the MILLIONS of bins of RUBBISH they needlessly produce every week.
That councils have to deal with by collecting, transporting, burning, burying or trying to recycle. Which in turn costs rate payers who have to contribute to those councils via taxes and rates to help collect, transport, burn, bury or recycle rubbish.

This is how it will work.
People who produce rubbish will pay more.
They will complain.
They will then change habits.
Those habits will flow on into shopping habits.
Those shopping habits will influence the production values and materials of products in stores to appeal to those people who change their habits to reduce their rubbish output, a rubbish output that they pay for.
A rubbish out put that councils have to collect, transport, burn, bury or recycle.
This is logistics and accountability.

[employs Jedi forcemind trick] these arn't the droids you are looking for, he can go about his buisness, move along. [/employment of Jedi force mind trick]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

Its about making people ACCOUNTABLE for the MILLIONS of bins of RUBBISH they needlessly produce every week.

Who needlessly produces rubbish??

You buy something, it comes in a package... you throw it away.

There is not one person who creates rubbish needlessly. What you are saying here is that people should consume less... but as is the natural law in everything some consume more than others.

So your point of view is completely wrong in my opinion.

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

That councils have to deal with by collecting, transporting, burning, burying or trying to recycle. Which in turn costs rate payers who have to contribute to those councils via taxes and rates to help collect, transport, burn, bury or recycle rubbish.

This is how it will work.
People who produce rubbish will pay more.
They will complain.
They will then change habits.
Those habits will flow on into shopping habits.
Those shopping habits will influence the production values and materials of products in stores to appeal to those people who change their habits to reduce their rubbish output, a rubbish output that they pay for.
A rubbish out put that councils have to collect, transport, burn, bury or recycle.
This is logistics and accountability.

[employs Jedi forcemind trick] these arn't the droids you are looking for, he can go about his buisness, move along. [/employment of Jedi force mind trick]

I kind of agree with Korg, Atlas... what you are proposing is a plan not to stop rubbish production but a multi-layered plan to curb consumerism (which would indeed have an impact on waste produced). You can't have one without the other though (consumption/waste).

I will say that's interesting how your trash system works. We pay a monthly fee here and I don't think I've ever read or noticed a limit on garbage bins you can have... but they do charge extra to recycle for you... *or* you can drive it to the recycle center yourself, which is what I do. But I will say the fee we pay the garbage collector here is pretty cheap! A month's worth of recycling practically covers the cost...

It really does sound like they're screwing you as it is with the garbage... but spying under the guise of fiscal responsibility is never acceptable IMO. Actually.. spying on your citizens without a warrant is something I consider unacceptable.

And KORG... dude... it's the ORGANIC bin! The only stink coming from the organic bin (assuming it's kept that way) is a "good stink." No health issues will come from a decaying compost pile! That is wee little bacteria munching up all the organic stuff turning it into "humus." Don't be worried... if you're paying for it and the other stuff stinks anyway, rotting banana peels won't hurt anything.. other than maybe your sense of smell ... but definitely not your health! (tip: bury fruit items in the pile as this is what will attract flies)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blerk

it doesnt

the collection wagon weighs the bin - the chip tells the wagon which bin is attached to the pick up arm

here is a pic - incase anyone is unfamiliar with the type of bin / collection system this applies to :

external image link

hope that clarifies it

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
i do not live in a weight metered area of the country - but i know people who do - and its amazing the leghths people go to to avoid an inconsequential charge AFAIK it runs between 75pence to 3 pounds per week for the majority .

and according to my mates - putting stuff in other people bins is rampant

the truelly devious sort thier waste into ` identifiable ` and none identifiable - the identifiable stuff - is put in thier own bin , ne none identifiable - in other peoles bins or fly tipped

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaNutter

And KORG... dude... it's the ORGANIC bin! The only stink coming from the organic bin (assuming it's kept that way) is a "good stink." No health issues will come from a decaying compost pile! That is wee little bacteria munching up all the organic stuff turning it into "humus." Don't be worried... if you're paying for it and the other stuff stinks anyway, rotting banana peels won't hurt anything.. other than maybe your sense of smell ... but definitely not your health! (tip: bury fruit items in the pile as this is what will attract flies)

Thanks for the tip
Where I am coming from here though is last year I saw a mass exodus of maggots Mosses style because of torrential rain after a hot period... It wasn't just disgusting to look at, they were crawling all over my then 4 years old new bicycle. So can you understand why I consider it unhealthy?

And its not just me that finds this a problem, I saw an article not long since that said the environmental health division of local council was concerned about the number of foraging incidents (cats and dogs and other more nasty pests such as rats and foxes) foraging through waste that has had to be bagged up because there was no room left in the bins.

on a lighter note... whenever I think of compost heap I always think of the heap in Fraggle Rock...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e661bb7a5102.jpg[/atsimg]

All the best,

Korg

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaNutter

The refuse system in the Uk depends on where you live and the policies of the local council.

We have a local council tax, which pays for these types of services. Where I live, there is no limit on how much you can throw out, but we don't have to pay extra for recycling. In fact, we get charged if they find recycleable material in your general waste and not in the recycle bin.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i do not live in a weight metered area of the country - but i know people who do - and its amazing the leghths people go to to avoid an inconsequential charge AFAIK it runs between 75pence to 3 pounds per week for the majority .

and according to my mates - putting stuff in other people bins is rampant

the truly devious sort their waste into ` identifiable ` and none identifiable - the identifiable stuff - is put in their own bin , ne none identifiable - in other peoples bins or fly tipped

Yep I can see that this would be a consequence. Though I never understood fly tipping, since the trouble to take your waste to an official place to dump such as a local tip and taking your waste to an unoffical place to dump fly tipping style is surely the same?

So all this is really just a ploy to shell us of more money~!~

This is why the system Sucks Bigger than Charley on his everlasting gobstopper!!

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

How many people could compost but throw out material in bins?
Millions of people do it needlessly every day.
There is no need to throw these materials away when they can be recycled at home in a garden.
This is needless waste.
In 2008 the Open university in the UK found that over 30% of household bin contents were kitchen scraps.
This is unneeded waste. It is not needed. It is needlessly created by placing it in waste bins. You can simply compost this. Another 2% was garden clippings.
Again, garden clippings can be composted. This is again needless waste created by people by simply putting it in a bin. That needs to be collected, that needs to be transported, sorted, burnt, buried or recycled.
Needles waste.

How many people shop with plastic bags, bring them home and throw them out. Millions do everyday. Needlessly.
There is no need to use plastic bags and then throw them away when there are alternatives.
This is needless waste.

There is no need to use plastic bottles and then throw them away in a bin when there are more sustainable ways of holding, storing and transporting fluids.
This is needless rubbish.
There is no need for this rubbish. Yet we throw billions of plastic bottle away every year.
This is needless waste.
www.p2pays.org...

People needlessly throw everyday items away that can be reused. Books, toys, clothing, furniture, appliances etc. Needlessly.

The list is long.
Needless waste.

Please explain to me what is needed in that waste.
If it is not needless waste, tell me what is needed as waste.

So tell me what is needed in it, if my claim that some waste is needless is incorrect and unfounded.

Who needlessly produces rubbish??
We do, everyday.

You buy something, it comes in a package... you throw it away.
And this is the only way to do that is it?

That you only have to buy stuff that comes in materials that have to be thrown away?
There is no other alternative?
All the waste produced is absolutely needed? We need to create that waste? Or is it needlessly created?

But if you can reduce what you don't necessarily have to create as waste. That waste is not needed is it. Because it can be reduced, it is needless waste.
In other words, look at your habits and find the waste that is not needed.
and remove that Needless waste.
You don't have to consume less, just consume efficiently and reduce the waste that you don't necessarily have to have.

It is a pretty simple concept.

I am astounded that you think all the waste we produce is done out of necessity.

There is not one person who creates rubbish needlessly.

Look at the planet my friend. Look really, really, really hard.
Are you saying that we needed kilometers and kilometers of plastic patches in the oceans.
Are you saying we needed hectares and hectares of landfill that some countries have had to create offshore( yes, islands of rubbish). That it was needed as waste. That none of that waste was unnecessary?
That we could not have survived without that waste being produced?

Is all this the consequences of people who needed to produce waste. Or is it the consequence of producing rubbish needlessly as a habit by lazy and short sighted consumption?

Just because rubbish is consequence does not means it is a needed consequence. You seem to somehow equate the occurrence of waste as being necessary when it is obvious that not all our waste is necessary and much of it is needless, regardless of whether it is a consequence of buying a product or not.

This is what this system will change.
A country like the UK is small, the costs of dealing with waste are not insignificant and the areas that deal with waste are not infinite black holes that swallow everything.

That is why we need to cut out the needless waste.
In the UK as well as in my country, the trend with local councils has been to reduce domestic waste because a lot of it is unnecessary.

So your point of view is completely wrong in my opinion.

Korg.

Thank you for the example. I have explained my point of view on the habits of those who will create needless rubbish.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

this is well worth ats as this shows how they are starting to place all manner of electronic devices in everyday stuff. it need to be disclosed how old are you 20

dont you understand the further implications eventually it will say how many beers you drank how many ciggarettes how much red meat as food packaging is also going to be chiped with id. so when your waste dont tally with your debit card shopping purchases they will want to know why also this info will be forwarded to insurance companys who will then put your premiums up because you ate to many burgers to many for a given period you are considered a glutton and laz because of eating habbits even then they will totally relay info to your doctors to then not treat you as you ate a peice of choclate while on insulin say you have an ailment and you eat smoke drink bar. this green thing is a rouse to get the bigger big total brother knowing everything you do

I agree on banning fancy packageing but dont think recycled bog roll should be used to wrap candy and sewage spread on our crops with all those antidpresants in and all sorts of crap...muhahahahar

[edit on 3/5/2010 by dashar]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Why not replace your trash can with a store bought one? Why not find the chip and remove it (sorry if I didn't read everything I just got up and have stuff to do maybe it's illegal?)?

How do you know they are listening devices as well? I have a smoke out in the garage with friends at my house and talk about private stuff, I can't imagine if the whole time I'd been being listened too. Lucky I only keep the recycling bin inside the garage... who keeps the trash in the garage? It smells... especially when it's warmer out.

I say buy your own trash bins and use them if possible (some places I believe you must use certain trash cans though), or don't even use a trash can, simply throw your bags in the spot you'd usually put your trash can. Usually my trash can isn't large enough to hold all the trash we have to throw away so there are bags surrounding it, and no one ever cares especially if you have it neatly together in a pile and it's all sealed as to not be blown all over on a windy day.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Typical government they tell us a blatant lie (i.e were scrapping the plans in 2008) and go ahead and chip the bins anyways...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I say we send ALL our rubbish to the houses of Parliament.

If they wanna know what's in our bins, i say fine... Stick their nosey faces in it..

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I say we send ALL our rubbish to the houses of Parliament.

If they wanna know what's in our bins, i say fine... Stick their nosey faces in it..

Thats an awesome idea, if only we could get people to do it. Its like when we had the fuel strike when it hit 70p (i think cant remember exactly). We all downed tools to get action, now prices are well over a pount and no one says nothing....

Send the rubbish GREAT idea , love it.

Peace

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

i remeber people on about protests of stuff like that when people did empty wagon loads of stuff at par-lem-doesent. and truck drivers blocked the roads and stuff, even farmers blocking motorways. the french are the best, they really protest .but i believe the fluoride is being added to municipal water now.They new what they was doing with this war against the people dident they. how do we get people to swallow all this juicy tec quickly , we could make millions of a them but how do we do it......???????

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
there is currently no law stopping you from removing the chip...usually placed on the underside of the bin.

the second a chip appears under my bin is the second before i remove it.

problem solved............for now

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Silicis n Volvo]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by blerk

The Chip does not weigh the bin, the scanning unit is on the dustbin lorry, when the bin is attached / hoisted up it passes the scanning unit and the details are registered.

I have a wheelie bin and live on my own, it is collected once a fortnight (as it happens this morning) and we have to place our bins outside the night before and retrieve them before a set time after collection.

I and all my neighbours have to place them on the pavement where anyone can walk by and dump their own waste into the bins.

As I mentioned I live on my own so my outgoing waste once sorted is fairly low are there not many occasions where the bin is brimming. Howver, my neighbour as a small child and her bin is constantly overflowing and of course many councils say "if the bin lid is not *closed properly or rubbish in bags is left by the road / bin it will not be emptied."

by not closed I don't mean slightly ajar as in bags sticking out and trying to escape.

Last night I asked my neighbour if she wanted to put some of hers in my bin as hers was overflowing and she was grateful as our council is narky as **** at the best of times.

So imagine that the system can easily be abused or people mislead and end up being charged to take away rubbish that wasn't theres in the first place when in my case I was doing a neighbour a favour.

Can you imagine the appeal process, proving it wasn't yours lol.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Didn't think this would be such an interesting thread but wow it is. Space cadet.....very apt name you are in cuckoo land.

The first thing that alarms me is that that your council (most likely) does not collect your rubbish. In most cases its collected by a private company such as

www.enterprise.plc.uk...

who would love to know what you are doing perhaps not for seditious reasons but to sell your information.

So in the past you paid council tax for the council to deliver services. The council now no longer delivers those services but has outsourced it and needs a reason to pass profit to the outsourced company whilst maintaining their revenues.

The story that is sold to the public is the one covered excellently by Atlasastro earlier in that we are a very wasteful society and must 'PAY FOR OUR CRIMES' !!!! The Inquisition syndrome kicks in, we need Government to fine and punish us for our misbehaviour so that we can become a better society.........phawwwn.

The government invests nothing in alternative solutions but again creates
a) More cost to the citizen
b) Makes you feel guilty for all the crap that this consumerist society develops. ( I personally buy local food so don't have packaging)
c) Creates a way of tracking, fining and imprisoning you if you don't follow the rules that they create to stop you being a bad citizen.
d) MOST IMPORTANT - a private company somewhere benefits from the offered solution

In actual fact the councils and government should invest £ into local community solutions such as Transition towns that enable us to move away from the Tesco packaged earth destroying junk.

It all wont matter soon away way as we wont be able to afford packaging once peak oil kicks in, just as long as they have chipped your dog, chipped your bin, chipped your car, chipped your phone and chipped your arm b4 hand all the better.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
They are trying to combat waste. The taxpayers should combat the amount of money the councils are wasting on these gadgets. It seems, in the US, that the government is throwing money around, to pay for huge increase in spy services, while telling us to tighten our belts and while trying to push new taxes. We'd save a lot of money by ending the WAR. Everything else is a smokescreen.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by m khan]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join