It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Well, I just flagged this thread because you told me not to!!!

Okay, just kidding.

As to the OP. Well, I can see in a way what the stink is about. However, I always thought that the weight of your garbage determined the fee you paid each month. At least that is how it was for me in Tacoma. If the weight was over a limit they would charge us an extra fee. The problem I had with it is that they determined it by lifting the can. If it 'FELT' heavier than say 70 lbs. we would get an extra fee. In essence I would kind of want some type of chip weighing my garbage for me instead of letting some guy 'estimate' whether I should get an extra fee. Which in the end is a tax.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

The only thing the chip does is storing the weight of the trash, as it is emptied.

It doesn't spy, it doesn't "look" what was in the garbage, it doesn't signal when people are on holiday.

The only thing potentially bad, is that people are going to pay more for their waste, but that's it.

All these "scary" things atributed to this chip, can already be done without it.

Anyone can snoop through your trash, if they want to, for instance.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
As he sat in his recliner - nude and dirty - he was content.

His house was full of garbage, and he was deathly ill. His TV covered in a blanket so they couldn't watch him through his TV, and his telephones unplugged so they couldn't listen to him.

... but they'll never weigh his trash again.

Seriously people. Seriously.

Seriously.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Painful but seriously I'm

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You can't identify the households where I live, because several households share a few very large wheelie bins.
Shall I tell you what real invasion of privacy is? I can go on line and find out for free the names and telephone numbers of most of my neighbours, when they bought their house and what they paid for it. For a small fee, I can dig deeper.
And if you are talking about shopping habits - well hands up all those who use a shop 'loyalty card'!

[edit on 5-3-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Love it! The paranoia is a bit much at times.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

You are right, of course.

The problem is that if they start charging for refuge collection by weight you can guarantee the cost will go up.

My Grandmother had a water meter installed because she was told that as she lived alone it would save her money. Her bill went up and now they will not change it back to the flat rate kind.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by blerk
Wait, what? How does a chip weigh a whole wheelie bin? I really don't get this. Have I missed something?

All it is is a simple RFID tag, a simple code that the computer will be able to match to a specific address - the bin wagon has those lifts on the back, they weigh the wheelie bin as it's lifted into the back, the RFID tag is pinged in the process and the computer records the data.

We hav a little round slot in the underside of the rim of our bins where a coin sized plastic disk containing the chip would be placed (presumably glued in or something) last time I checked it was empty.... If I ever noticed is was not I will gouge it out with a strong screwdriver or something - I promise to post pics

I suppose there is nothing to stop the council re issuing bins with the chips actually built into the design, that would be more difficult to fiddle - bear in mind that an RFID can be put in anything, even a sticky label - keep your eyes peeled! - if you want to be sneeky and you find a chip, I suggest removing it, giving it a few seconds in the microwave and then replacing it again

Also the bins in our street are always being swapped, they get left in no particular order up and down the road, everyone just takes the 2 nearest their drive way I find - this is a very unworkable idea all round the way it stands.

Off to check my bins again!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Paranoid much, people?

I do find it weird that the organization behind it is called Big Brother...
so much for "hiding out in the open"

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Were is the spy chip located in these bins? I feel this to be an invasion of privacy and i will remove the spy chip myself if i can find it.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

"It is not a story about being spyed on, it is all about weighing your garbage. No big whoop. "

Actualy it is a big deal. let me explain. Lets say the local branch of big brother picks out a random home which they have in there network of chipped garbage cans. They can run a full monthly anaylsis on everything you eat, everything you use, all your bills that you didn't shred. By the endof the month they cangive a detailed point A to Point Z of your daily schedule. Up to your private fetishes, which you think is a secret. Plus they can tie that into all the camras that are everywhere and get a full detailed report on what you do, what you eat, etc. etc..etc.

So yeah it is a big deal.

Kinda spooky if you asdk me.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins

www.dailymail.co.u k

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins: 60pc rise in electronic bugs as council snoopers plan pay-as-you-throw tax

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
The growing threat of a stealth tax on the rubbish we throw away was exposed by startling figures yesterday.

More than 2.5million homes now have wheelie bins fitted with microchips to weigh their contents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

ANYTHING! I REPEAT ANYTHING it has an electronic chip in it required to work, or not, CAN BE A SPYING DEVICE!
ANYTHING AT ALL!
New chip technology can guarantee that.
EITHER YOU ABANDON TECHNOLOGY ALL TOGETHER, OR YOU GET SPIED UPON.

Face it people. It's TOO LATE to avoid being spied upon. Now you have to live with the consequences and make every move, thought, action, count to avoid totalitarianism futures by the Elites.
Fat chance you say? Humans cannot become responsible for their actions? Well, in that case, slavery awaits.
Freedom requires great responsibility.
Either behave irresponsibly and be herded like the cattle to the slaughter, living with the constant fear that the grind machine will only get your neighbor instead of you, or become responsible and live in freedom.
The Lines have been drawn!
There is NO turning back!

[edit on 5-3-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is not a fake story this was on skynews too here in the UK.

Maybe there is a clue to this, Bin as in Bin number like "Bank Identification Number" (BIN) and of course Bin Laden. So it starts off by using them in bins to spy on us so that we accept it or fight it.

“He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” Revelation 13:16-17

It's all in the name BIN.

Chip-And-Bin: UK Set For New Rubbish Tax
11:41am UK, Wednesday February 27, 2008

Victoria Gatenby, Sky News Reporter

Electronic sensors will be used to spy on rubbish in people's bins - with people who do not recycle paying more.

Many landfill sites are full

The Government's new "chip-and-bin" levy means the average family could end up paying around £120 a year to have their rubbish collected - on top of their council tax.

David Miliband, the Environment Secretary, unveiled plans to allow local councils to implement a "pay-as-you-throw" scheme using wheelie bins fitted with the sensors.

They are part of a new plan to reduce household and commercial waste over the next 20 years.

As part of the scheme, people will be provided with a slop bucket for food waste and kitchen scraps.

They will also have to separate out glass, plastics, paper and tins.

Councils will be able to issue fines for people who fail to comply.

However, opponents say the tax will not help persuade people to recycle more.

Statistics show Britain has the worst recycling rates in the EU after Greece and Portugal. Britain recycles just 18% of its rubbish, compared with 58% in Germany.

The Conservatives are concerned about the "chip-and-bin" policy, after a Freedom of Information request showed microchips in rubbish bins have now spread to one in seven town halls.

Eric Pickles MP, Tory shadow minister for local government, said: "Now we face the prospect of bin chips quietly being fitted in bins across the country to spy on families without their knowledge.

"I fear now that Labour Ministers are forcing town halls into levying new bin taxes, without public consent."

Text

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Wonder what happens if you refuse to pay taxes

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Another BS Daily Mail article! As soon as I clicked on the thread, I expected a Daily Mail source. I live in the UK and the bins have these chips in them. Before people get all freaked out..check out the standard bin-wagon.

They aren't equipped with hi-tech scanners that analyse the contents of the waste and store details of any letters you've thrown away.

The Daily Mail is a vicious and bitter news source. It incites racism, homophobia and prejudice every damn day. Follow the money...who owns it? What are their politics? It endorses and popularises divisions.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
I wish someone WOULD pay attention to what is in the garbage. They would discover many many meth houses, they could turn them in and help the millions of kids growing up in them. Hell they could check up on food stamp recipients and see if they are actually buying groceries or not with their stamps. I really cannot think of bad stuff that they could find in mine of any of my neighbors right off the bat.

That is opening a rather large can of worms there and while I admire your trust I wholeheartedly disagree. There is also a big difference between a garbage company going through our trash and law enforcement doing it.

It is not like a camera is in your garbage can watching you. It is your garbage.

It is A LOT more than just our garbage. The information that may be obtained and then turned around for use by commercial interests is a violation of our privacy. To disagree with this is to fail to understand the purpose, intent and true nature of the initiative... all the while disguised under seemingly innocent marketing tactics (ie to better serve you). Why is it that we are not compensated for providing the very data companies are now using in their marketing schemes?

All they want to know is are you going over the limit of what you put in the bin.

It always starts out that way doesn't it? Innocently enough...

Again, while I admire your tendency to trust, I think you might be trying too hard to find potential practical applications meanwhile another strike to the privacy of all.

It's nobody's damn business...

The sooner we can understand the true nature of all of this data mining that is for-the-most-part in the development/discussion phase, the sooner our alarm bells may begin to ring.

There are a lot of promising technological advances that may be made utilizing this kind of data (and it's going to happen and is happening) but there needs to be some oversight to protect people's privacy.

Those cards we all swipe when we go grocery shopping... innocent enough sure... but you don't really believe you saved any money as a result of swiping that card do you? Why am I paying ATT to use and share my private information in ways they would never include me on?

Slippery slope indeed...

If you haven't already, you might want to spend some time on the IBM main website to familiarize yourselves with what is to come...

They're baaaackkkk!!!

How much do you know about the history of IBM, really..?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Is it me or....

1. Wouldn't it be far more economical to have the weight sensor in the garbage trucks lift? Or on a bed attacthed to the truck? Than embedding one in every trash can...

2. While it may seem benign... And laws may exist stating that once you throw away trash it's essentially public domain unless on private property... In a legal sense...

The end user of the trash can was not informed of the transference of an unalienable right to privacy to the trash company or local government granting them authority to puruse the contents of a users trash and create reports about their trash habits.

-----------

Some of you may see this as a benign tactic because it's being done methodically to all users by the government. However if it was a normal individual browsing through your trash solely, you would find it odd. Perhaps even find it criminal.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthWanderer
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Wonder what happens if you refuse to pay taxes

If you find another 10 ppl who will find another 10 ppl who will find another 10 ppl and you collectively do this, then the system crumbles and you are free.
But nobody is THAT smart.
Devil is laughing all the way to the..wherever his going at.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
My humble opinion is that this may be more a case of trying to scrape more tax from the people.

Dont forget that the British have had a long history when it comes to stitching up the common man, in anyway possible may I add.

We had Window Tax, that is why you see some old buildings with bricks where windows should be. Yes tax on air and light - a form of daylight robbery.

We shouldn't forget the Poll tax riots when Maggie tried to implement a tax on heads per household, where only the poor lived many crammed to one property result..

Someone already stated it in this thread - this is typical backward thinking as it will result in tipping or filling up peoples skips. Either way they will claim it is to encourage more recycling and then have to increase council tax to pay for street cleaning, either that or suffer an explosion in rat population - and not only in reference to those in Parliament.

really dumb idea.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The UK, the home of freedom.
What a laugh.
If they want to spy on trash, just set up a 24 hour webcam on the Houses of Parliament.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join