It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by space cadet

It is not a story about being spyed on, it is all about weighing your garbage. No big whoop.

Hello?

It also warned that collection of data from chipped bins could show when households were on holiday, opening the way to abuse by criminals.

However, in 2008 nearly 100 councils ran investigations into the contents of their residents' bins, in some cases to check on what rubbish they dump and in others to try to obtain information on their incomes and lifestyles.

You don't need a microchip to know when you're on holiday. If someone was so interested in breaking in your house, so much so that they keep up with the data on microchips, they could easily do the same by stalking your house to see if any cars are gone, if the trash can never comes out, or has just stayed there. Also, they could look to see how many newspapers have piled up in the drive way, look in your mail box to see if mail has piled up, etc etc etc etc.....

Seriously, this is just a microchip in your trash can to figure out if you're going over your limit. I like a good conspiracy, but this is straight up paranoia. I really don't know how you leave your house, if you're paranoid about your trashcan.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I saw this on the news this morning and wasnt even suprised. They are bringing people around to the idea of microchips.

This guy speaks on the future so clearly, from microchips to the fall of mankind...

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link. Spamming

[edit on 3/8/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro
reply to post by Korg Trinity

How many people could compost but throw out material in bins?
Millions of people do it needlessly every day.

What is the purpose of compost? 99% of the time its to help the garden... How many people actively supplement their gardens with fertilisers?? I am willing to bet that hardly any....

I don't have a garden.. I have plot of grass that the kids can play on. What use would a compost heap be for me? how big will it get over a year as I don't have any use for a compost heap??

There is no need to throw these materials away when they can be recycled at home in a garden.
This is needless waste.

For me and for millions of others a compost is needless waste!

In 2008 the Open university in the UK found that over 30% of household bin contents were kitchen scraps.

Unless you are the world’s greatest estimator or you are a pig and eat everything that is put in front of you then this is strawberry blancmange...

Are you saying that kitchen scraps are needless waste? Think you can recycle a left over tandoori vindaloo with a left over strawberry blancmange??

Hmmmm I'm sure that would be tasty!!

again, garden clippings can be composted. This is again needless waste created by people by simply putting it in a bin. That needs to be collected, that needs to be transported, sorted, burnt, buried or recycled.
Needles waste.

Don't have a need for an ever building never used Compost Heap!!

How many people shop with plastic bags, bring them home and throw them out. Millions do everyday. Needlessly.

Next to non. Most supermarkets have switched to no bags available or you have to pay for them. I personally use our shopping plastic bags as bin liners, saves me having to buy bin liners!

There is no need to use plastic bottles and then throw them away in a bin when there are more sustainable ways of holding, storing and transporting fluids.
This is needless rubbish.

Have you ever tried to buy a litter of sprite without the bottle? Come one!! you ar eliving in a fantasy world.

Please explain to me what is needed in that waste.
If it is not needless waste, tell me what is needed as waste.
So tell me what is needed in it, if my claim that some waste is needless is incorrect and unfounded.

The packaging is needed to get the items from the manufacturer to your home. I'm not saying that the manufacturer is doing the right thing; I actually think that all this is down to the manufacturer to think of better ways to transport their goods.

But the truth is I buy the foods and items I buy because they are the foods and items I like or need. I do not buy something because its got less packaging.

Who needlessly produces rubbish??

We do, everyday.

No we throw away the waste from the products we buy. There is no choice in the matter unless you are a hoarder and want to have the council come around your house and fine you for being a fire hazard...

You buy something, it comes in a package... you throw it away.

And this is the only way to do that is it?

Ermmm what else do you think I can do with the packaging?? Maybe make some cool new furniture with some empty pop bottles a few cardboard cartons and some sticky tape??

That you only have to buy stuff that comes in materials that have to be thrown away?
There is no other alternative?

Here is a picture of an average supermarket shelf... Can you see any products there with no packaging?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f807ea6a5b0b.jpg[/atsimg]

And I will re-iterate an earlier point... I buy what I and my family like to eat and items we may need or want. I have no choice what the package is like.

All the waste produced is absolutely needed? We need to create that waste? Or is it needlessly created?

I'm not saying this, I’m saying I as a consumer have no choice in whether I produce more or less waste unless I curb the volume I consume.

In other words, look at your habits and find the waste that is not needed.

My habits are to ensure that my family has all the things they need and strive for the things we want. If those things come in packaging that is not my choice and I should not be held accountable for the fact.

I am astounded that you think all the waste we produce is done out of necessity.

Not Necessity.. Just no choice. I have no influence over whether the breakfast cereal my daughter likes has a package or not.

Look at the planet my friend. Look really, really, really hard.
Are you saying that we needed kilometers and kilometers of...

This is a problem with the system not being able to recycle all the objects put in for recycling. We need to have more effective way of recycling as opposed to blaming the consumer for consuming.

Is all this the consequences of people who needed to produce waste. Or is it the consequence of producing rubbish needlessly as a habit by lazy and short sighted consumption?

This statement makes me angry... I'm a hardworking caring head of a family who does all he can to ensure that my family is looked after and the greater good is fulfilled. I am not LAZY and I Will absolutly not curb my consumption because the system can't manage to efficiently recycle what is consumed. I am not a sit around slob who consums for the sake of it, I consume what is needed for my family to function. Plain and simple..

I think you have bought too heavily into what you have been told, and you are missing the main points here.

We Do Need to recycle but the system of recycling has very little to do with enviromentalism and has far more to do with making or saving £££, while placing the blame on the consumer when the real problem site squarely with manufacturers.

Peace Out,

Korg.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
and when enough people complain about other people dumping their rubbish in said bins the council wil solve it with cctv down every street.
what can of worms have we opened truly the gates to hell

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GENESIS_2012

Mr Ruppert......bloke is spot on. Watch the whole film its called... 'collapse'. Can also recommend 'from the wilderness' his website and 'Crossing the Rubicon' a seriously heavy and depressing read.

The idea of chipping a human at the moment will not be swallowed by the mass majority but baby steps bit by bit......

Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing......

In the beginning there is resistance to change and people have all their own ideas all over the shop and its all factions, Slowly the ideas start permeating to everyone, you chip your dog, your phone tracks you, your car is tracked and charged, your credit cards are wireless.........when you have chip overload you start putting them into humans as this is now normal - then TPTB have you by the curlers.............Good night god bless.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

making sure others are "buying groceries or not with their stamps", or running a meth lab. None of anyone's damn business.

How can you say that these things are none of anyone's damn business????? Do you advocate the manufacture and use of meth????
Do you think misusing the welfare programs is OK ????
Those were just 2 worthy items I came up with that could benefit from keeping up with people's garbage. But that is not what they are wanting. They just want to know how much garbage you are throwing out.

edit to add: My frustration with insane responses such as yours, and insane threads has just about given me the will to stop coming here, then I realize that unless people come back and respond to insane statements, the teenagers on here might start thinking there is truth in all the threads here. I prefer to post a little more responsively.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by space cadet]

So what you're saying is, I have no right to privacy because there is a possibility that they might catch a few criminals?

Your suggestion about catching people who aren't using their foodstamps correctly actually made me laugh out loud IRL. I find it pretty ironic that something as trivial (IMO) as that could be seen as justification for the invasion of privacy in the same post that you extoll your "frustration" at the "insane statements" in the OP.

I don't mean to be confrontational, I just thought I'd meet your previous posts with a similar tone to your own.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins

www.dailymail.co.u k

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins: 60pc rise in electronic bugs as council snoopers plan pay-as-you-throw tax

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
The growing threat of a stealth tax on the rubbish we throw away was exposed by startling figures yesterday.

More than 2.5million homes now have wheelie bins fitted with microchips to weigh their contents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'm not at all surprised that the UK are among the first to introduce this new tech. to monitor garbage. Municipal Governments here in Ontario will undoubtedly eventually come up with something similiar. I've noticed a dramatic change with garbage pickup in my own city over the past 10 years or so. In addition to the major drive to push recycling, there seems to be a constant drive to minimize the amount of refuse that will be picked up without being billed for it. We've gone from a weekly pick up of unlimited numbers of bags to a bi-monthly pick up of 4 bags yet they still seem to be uncontent!

I suppose that, as like most other branches of government, implementing electronic technology will make it easier for them to bill anyone far more accurately in the future. All of this extra billing really makes one wonder why taxes at all levels of government are contstantly on the rise

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
looks like I might start a business making large and powerful ectro magnets that I can sell to people to kill the chip in there bins.

I do not have a issue with anyone knowing what I put in my bin but this is only the start of charging for your rubbish by weight as well as you paying your full council tax.

If they want to charge me by the wieght of my rubbish I demand a reduction in my council tax (which you all know we won't get) and I demand legislation from the goverment to reduce the amount of packaging used on goods.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jpmail

Hear hear !!!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

reply to post by space cadet

It is not a story about being spyed on, it is all about weighing your garbage. No big whoop.

Hello?

It also warned that collection of data from chipped bins could show when households were on holiday, opening the way to abuse by criminals.

However, in 2008 nearly 100 councils ran investigations into the contents of their residents' bins, in some cases to check on what rubbish they dump and in others to try to obtain information on their incomes and lifestyles.

Hello!

Have you heard of facebook? Cars in the driveway, scoping out a property.

All of these are easier ways then hacking into a microchip of a garbage bin and then finding out if somebody has added to it or not and then applying thing to if they are home or not.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail
looks like I might start a business making large and powerful ectro magnets that I can sell to people to kill the chip in there bins.

I do not have a issue with anyone knowing what I put in my bin but this is only the start of charging for your rubbish by weight as well as you paying your full council tax.

If they want to charge me by the wieght of my rubbish I demand a reduction in my council tax (which you all know we won't get) and I demand legislation from the goverment to reduce the amount of packaging used on goods.

Absobloodylutly!!

When I rang the county council this morning about this, I said that if they were unable to supply me with a bigger bin I would like to opt out of them picking up my rubbish and I will go to the tip once a week which I have to do anyway cause they don't pick it up.

The answer I got was well, you see we pay not just for the waste to be picked up but its also a payment for this and that as well...

The other argument I got was if we allowed people to opt in and out of services then you would get people who would not want to pay for schools or libraries ect...

This whole rubbish situation is a monster Stealth Tax scheme. Roll on the Conservative Government!!!

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm not familiar with how it works in the UK, but I imagine this is simply to weigh the garbage to see if it went over the limit.

Just curious, is the chip only on the garbage or on your organic/recycling bins as well?

I don't like that they were sneaky about it, but the information is useful if they want to tax people who waste too much. Whether you believe you should be taxed is another debate.

Here in the Toronto area, our recyclables and garbage are taken every week, and our organics weekly. It's not a big deal. Organics are the ones that smell, so they are taken care of the same way they've always been -- on a weekly basis. Recyclables cover most packaging and bulky items -- if you rinse out containers or cans, they shouldn't smell.

Garbage should have the smallest load unless you just moved or purchased something. I don't even put everything that I should in the green bin, because I don't feel like separating my bathroom waste of tissue papers (which should go in the green bin) and hair (which has to go in garbage); even so, there's isn't much garbage even after 2 weeks, and it doesn't smell.

Also, I'm not sure about the UK so you should check, but diapers are considered organic waste here.

I've worked in the solid waste department in a small city here in Ontario a few years ago. This isn't exactly the same thing, but it is because of weighing meters on privatized garbage trucks that I was able to find out that a company had been hauling garbage to another city, illegally, because it was cheaper to do so. So please, not everything is done to get you folks.

As far as how you don't want a compost in your yard goes, that's fine, it's your choice. But at least some cities use their organic wastes for city compost, which are used for farmlands and parks. Some cities, like the one I worked for, give away free compost to residents at certain times every year.

The main point of waste diversion is that we have limited locations for landfills, so we need to start reducing the amount that goes in them. My husband doesn't believe in this stuff either, he's all about personal freedom to throw out whatever we want. I, on the other side of the fence, have done recycling and garbage audits on residents. I've been to landfills, recycling and composting facilities. I can tell you this, the amount of unnecessary garbage we throw out is appalling. Before the green bin program started, I would say a good 80% of garbage is actually recyclables and organics.

Personally, I'd be all for a scanning of recycling bins. Again, appalling what people put in there. Alcoholics break bottles and hide them in paper because they're ashamed; we don't give two sh!t but it causes injuries to garbage men, to the point where we've had to cut recycling from certain buildings. I've found used needles and dead cats in bins, among many other questionable things.

Sorry about the rant. It's just very frustrating when people don't see the back end stuff and is all about personal privacy. No one gives a hoot what you do in the privacy of your home. If anything, you should see the kind of crap (and I don't mean crap) that you find in sewers. We don't care, but we do find the interesting items amusing.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Land fill is a major problem in the U.K. Small island + HUGE population! So anything that can reduce the amount of waste should be explored.

I don't live in the U.K. anymore but my folks do, and they like a bottle of wine or two.....or three. The recycle bin does not take glass. So my mother drives the empties to the bottle bank. Great for recycling not so great for the carbon footprint!

Not long ago there was talk of replacing bar codes on products with smart chips.

This means your bin could read what brand of cornflakes you are buying and how much duty free tobacco you are smoking.

And pretty soon you will get junk mail from Mr Kellog and a Tax Bill from H.M.Customs.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is nothing more then a tax grab.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Odd...

They just rolled out 300,000 of these in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

WTF ? your parents live in a local authority that doesnt allow glass in the recycle bin ?????????????????

may i ask where ?

i am in RVBC [ ribble valley bourgh council ] in lancashire - and our recyvle takes glass

and every one i know in other areas puts glass in the recycle

your parents situation is madness

glass and metals are the easiest to recycle

its plasics / polymers that are hard - as unless sorted the mixed conglomerate can only be used for low grade recycled products

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This just gets crazier by the day. The next thing you know we are going to pay for the air we breathe like in Spaceballs. (great movie)

Next it will be microchips in your shoes to tax you on the number of times you step on planet earth.....aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Come on People!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Once you put your "trash" by the curb for garbage pick up it legally no longer belongs to you or anyone.

Any stranger is allowed to take your garbage or go through it. So if your worried about people finding out information on your that your putting in your garbage, don't throw it away via curbside pickup.

Also shred all junk mail or any type of mail that could have personal secure information on it; this is a no brainer.

But as to the OP, micro-chip in garbage bins??? haha, thats the funniest thing I'veheard today, but also somewhat scary in a way as well

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think people are forgetting 2 of the major issues here, firstly these chips have been fitted secretly even having promised this idea was going to be scrapped, and secondly the stealth tax that may potentially get imposed is just sickening. Council tax is already out of proportion in many area's of the UK and to have a bolt on payments on top is just down right wrong. The argument should not be about what is being thrown away in this case, as I very much doubt bin men will be emptying dustbins out roadside to make assements on whats being trashed.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

They live in a market town in Nottinghamshire.

Metal, plastics, cardboard and paper they'll take but no glass. I think they use the safety argument. "Our people might get cut by broken glass"

Maybe they've done a backroom deal with a private contractor for the "used glass rights". It wouldn't be the first time. A few years ago they were renovating the cobbled marketplace because apparently it was getting dangerous to walk on. BUT a couple of months later a few Councillors got nice new driveways using several hundred year old cobbles.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join